PDA

View Full Version : I didn't love "Forbidden Love"

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 07:59 AM
I dunno, there was a lot more shown in this trailer than anything before, but I felt like it was playing out more as a cheesy period romance novel my sister would buy or a fashion ad for "Amidala's Apparel", and Hayden didn't capture my attention at all with his flat acting and his anger towards Obi-Wan feeling more like a tantrum than the beginnings of the Dark Side.

What's strangest for me is that I think this trailer would have been WAY better as the DVD exclusive and that "Mystery" trailer would have been way better for the general audience release. The general audience, especially the kiddies and the action junkies, would get so much more pumped up by the DVD-exclusive "Mystery" trailer than this "Forbidden Love" one. I think hardcore SW fans wouldn't have minded the romance novel feel of "Forbidden Love" if it was the 2nd-released trailer and those like me who didn't love "FL" would still have been given a huge joy by "Mystery" being the 3rd trailer.

JEDIpartner
11-16-2001, 08:19 AM
I have a feeling you are going to hate this movie then... GL said even though the overall tone of this film would be darker, it would actually be focused on the relationship aspect of Anakin and Padme.

Oh, well... there's always Episode III for you!

bigbarada
11-16-2001, 08:30 AM
Wow!!:eek: I'm totally amazed by the new trailer!! I do understand where JT is coming from, but I always expected the 'love story' element to play out like and episode of Dawson's Creek so it's no big deal. Remember these movies are ultimately targeted at pre-teen kids and teenagers; so a deep, involved love story seems a little out of place.

In any case look at all the "great" love stories of the past that are nothing more than juvenile fantasies. Romeo and Juliet immediately springs to mind.

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 08:52 AM
I got that "Dawson's Creek" feel from this trailer, that is FOR SURE, but when Lucas was talking about focusing on the "love story", I was expecting the quality handling of the issue in the ESB handled Leia and Han falling in love, not some brick-in-the-head approach to romance where teenagers coupling with teenagers say things that only cheap romance novelists think folks say when they're falling in love. That's just how I saw it, of course. :D

bigbarada
11-16-2001, 09:11 AM
I'm sure Lucas had a brick ready for ESB's love story; but Irvin Kershner was able to soften it to a nice fluffy pillow.:p :D

Rollo Tomassi
11-16-2001, 09:56 AM
Harry potter was so good, I almost forgot I SAW the trailer last night. There was waaaay to much cutesy "teenagers in love" dialogue for it only being two minutes long. I totally blanked waiting for the rapid fire cutting at the end. Then it was over...:(

Tycho
11-16-2001, 10:33 AM
I loved the new trailer and posted my opinion about it in the other thread that's running in this forum.

Now if you think about it, the entire Star Wars saga has touched on every type of element from every kind of film, so they had to "go to Smallville or Dawson's Creek" if you will.

That being said:

Stalker / Horror movie: Vader stalking Luke in ESB, Han tortured
Adventure - Princess Rescue: ANH
Quest / treasure hunt: Unfreezing Han, ROTJ
Dinosaurs, beasts, Jurassic Park: Rancor, underwater scenes TPM
Comedy, spoof: JarJar Binks, Ewoks, C-3PO
Religious, Hell-like overlord vanquishment: Palpatine in ROTJ
Romance: Han and Leia, Ankain and Padme AOTC
Epic: Jedi Vs. Sith history - Obi-Wan and all his Sith encounters
Family Values: Luke and Darth, ROTJ, father and son
Mystery: who's trying to kill Padme, AOTC
Training a Knight, special trials: Yoda, Luke, ESB
Gangsters / drug lords: Jabba the Hutt

I mean you can go on, but the Star Wars epic has everything, right down to stuff like the shark in Jaws. So here's your teenage romance. Live with it. Some of us like it. In the meantime, watch Smallville!

Co Jo-Da
11-16-2001, 10:57 AM
Man, I loved this trailer and aspecially the end when we see Anakin light up his saber and in a fit of rage cuts down Sandpeople for the death of SHI...SO VERY AWESOME...

Fulit
11-16-2001, 01:23 PM
Why am I not surprised? No offense or anything JT, but it doesn't seem like you like anything about the new movies. It seems you're looking for them to be like the original trilogy too much or something. I'm glad they're not like it, and I don't get a "Dawson's Creek" feel at all, probably because I never watch that crap. Not that you're not entitled to your opinion, so, well, here's mine. Once again, I mean no offense to you, just throwing an idea out there.

LTBasker
11-16-2001, 02:22 PM
"You have, too...grown more beautiful that is."
I could've sworn I've heard someone use that line in another movie to get to a girl... The whole picnic thing and stuff, now that is not right... Sure, it throws the whole "Jedi can't love" thing into perspective, but like JT said, it gives ya the Dawson's Creek feeling.

Co Jo-Da
11-16-2001, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
"You have, too...grown more beautiful that is."
I could've sworn I've heard someone use that line in another movie to get to a girl... The whole picnic thing and stuff, now that is not right... Sure, it throws the whole "Jedi can't love" thing into perspective, but like JT said, it gives ya the Dawson's Creek feeling.

Well GL had made it clear that Episode II was going to be a (if not the) Love Story of Star Wars. Maybe the dialogue isn't all that original but who really cares, this movie will have so much more within it to please everyone.

derek
11-16-2001, 09:17 PM
i liked the trailer, but still have concerns for the legitamicy of the love story between anakin and padme. are we truly to believe that anakin and padme meet for the first time in ten years and proceed to fall madly in love and marry before the film is over? what time span will the film cover? surely it can't be that much time, probably no more than a few weeks at most.

if we had met a mature anakin in episode 1 and had episode 2 been set a maybe two, instead of ten years later, anakin and padme would of actually had time for a relationship to develop. as it stands now, who won't be suprised the marriage won't last, even if they don't know the folklore.

i still don't understand why lucas, who is apparently obsessed with secrecy, told us before episode 1 was even released that padme would marry anakin and give birth to the super twins. we would of probably picked up on it anyway, but there was no need for him to tell us.

The 'Xir
11-16-2001, 11:14 PM
I'm with you too, JEDIp and Fulit! Here we go again! We're not even 5 months from the release of the movie, and here we go with the Negative BS again! I think If Lucas breathed wrong, people would have issues! Now, I'm not saying Lucas shouldn't be questioned, but geez atleast see the freakin' movie before we start passing judgement!
I agree that we all knew the love story was comming so what the Farg do you guys want? I thought the tension actually built up quite nicely during the trailer! And it was punctuated perfectly with that ending!!!
Hey JT listen closely your about to be stunned;)... The only thing that I have had some missgivings about we're mainly in the 'Mystery' trailer, but in a couple places I thought the effects weren't living up to the way they should! Mainly that Matte painting in the background, where that deep hold-twin engine-star trekesque ?clone transport? ship is taking off! I thought that painting was well...bad!
As far as the love thing and Anakin's tantrum...? I thought that was well done! I mean I think that all of the talk years back in these forums have come true! Meaning all those who said that Ben would be that "thorn in the side" between Ani and Padme! And that seems to be about right! I look at it as Ani and Padme are the children, and Ben is in a Parent type role! And are you guys(the pessimists) trying to tell me that you've NEVER lashed out infront or inprivate against your parents the way Anakin did in the trailer, when he threw that 'whatever it was' up against the wall? .....Uhhh Yeah right uh-huh sure!...
To me it just seemed real!! I mean Anakin's growing up... he's dealing with all these issues, and Ben is trying to be there for Ani and keep him focused, but hey when we were growing up did we ever listen to our parents... Hell NO! We always have to learn for ourselves...the hard way! Unfortunately Anakin learns the HARDEST way of all! And, although this is a movie, we all know they're are kids out there wrestling with similar issues(no not ruling the galaxy:rolleyes: , ok well maybe;) ) , but just as stressful issues and that not all kids come out OK in the end because of it! I think that's hit home more recently in the past couple years then ever, but it's a problem that has never changed?
So, although it may look cheesy or feel weird, or embarressing for us to watch somebody else getting all worked up; but it's never understood when we're the ones lashing out! And the forementioned is the reason why!!!
Sorry to kind of ramble there, but I thought the trailer was GREAT!!! MTFBWY...Always! The 'Xir

JediTricks
11-17-2001, 02:10 AM
Barada, you could be right, but then again, I've heard Lucas barely gave an outline for ESB, so he may not have even crafted a brick, maybe just a grain of sand which could be sneezed away. ;) But you're right, Kasdan really proved himself with that script and the way he handled that romance! Sure, it was a bit cliche, but everything came alive without feeling like the cliche.

Tycho, you are missing the point, we're talking about a main theme and you're pulling every thread you can to unweave the films. And there's no reason these younger characters have to act like they're on the WB, that's not a MOVIE theme, that's a melodramatic teenysoap. The idea of teen love has been explored in many quality movies without being brainless drivel.

Fulit, take a look at my posts from a week ago when I was coming off the "Mystery" trailer. Look carefully becuase your overgeneralization of me is totally unfair and not showing there.

Co Jo-Da (btw, what's the story behind that screen name? I've been wondering for a while now) I know Lucas said he was going to do the "romance angle", but like I said, that angle was played in ESB as well without being trite. I don't know if Ep 2 will be trite, but I think this new "FL" trailer makes it LOOK forced and poorly-drawn out.

Derek, I totally agree with you about the timespan issue, especially when that 10-year difference starts with a 9-year-old Anakin being played by 7-year-old Jake. And that line of Ani's, "As have you... grown more beautiful, I mean" seems kinda sleazy to me when I consider that the LAST time he saw her, he hadn't even hit puberty.

Xir, why is it that any time you talk about everybody else being negative, you come across as being twice as negative as your focus? :p You're blowing this TOTALLY out of proportion because you like to fight and you're arguing a point that doesn't even fit with what I was saying. I am not talking about the dang movie, I'm talking about this ONE TRAILER, and as such, I have everything I need in front of me to review it, I don't need to see a movie to review the trailer. Why is it that whenever one of you "you people are too negative" whiners come around a forums post about something, you have to claim that any comment that isn't glowing positive for whatever the subject is must be a slam against the whole film? That's a ludicrous attitude to take IMO, as if you must love everything about ANH or else you hate the whole film.

Everybody said "the mystery trailer's effects didn't look complete", so what?!? The effects are just a tool to tell the story, the 6 days' difference between "Mystery" and "Forbidden Lust" almost certainly wasn't the turning point at ILM, as if they put in their unfinished ones for Mystery and within 6 days finished all of 'em. And that "matte painting" when we're looking at the ships loading the clones, I'm fairly sure that shot is 100% digital and identical between the 2 trailers, though you can't be exact with "Mystery" since it didn't go as high a resolution as "F.Love".

BTW, the following is just for you Xir, since I know you'll appreciate it ;) (it's meant in good humor):
As far as... Anakin's tantrum...? I thought that was well done!You would, since your post appears to be one long tantrum. :evil:

Seriously though, Ani is supposed to be a Jedi padawan who's gone through 10 years of training to become trustworthy enough to be allowed to build a lightsaber, yet he (metaphorically) stomps his feet and whines like a 6 year old? You'd think he was a spoiled rich kid who was just told that his daddy wouldn't buy him a certain toy - at least, that's how it sounded to my ears. Anyway, maybe it'll fit in with the tone of the movie, but again, I'm only talking about what we have before us, not what could be waiting around the corner.

MEAT
11-17-2001, 05:19 AM
For me, Breathing was the perfect teaser. My enthusiasm took a nose dive after "mystery", because of the special effects & Yoda looking horrible, but have now been brought back to high anticipation with forbidden love.

Sure the love story sucks but I think we are seeing most of the scenes crammed together in a short period of time. I dont think the love story will play any larger role that it did in ESB.

As for Haydens acting, I thought it was good. I mean isnt Anakin supposed to behave like a spoiled brat/teenage punk.

The 'Xir
11-17-2001, 12:18 PM
ME ARGUE?!!!:eek: Never!:D

JT- I'm sorry man if it seems like I get on your guys case alot, but you know what I hear alot of Negative **beeeep** on this forum too!

But all the opinions and arguing aside, when we all sit down in that theatre and those infamous blue words appear on the screen, we all share in that great feeling and excitment that is and only can be Star Wars!

I just think that you "negative" like guys just set yourselves up for disappointment! Because when you start picking apart the trailer you go into the movie with those thoughts about the movie and have a judgement about the movie even if your just applying it to the trailer! You take those thoughts in with you to the theatre and I think that, that can affect your movie experience!

Oh and just for the record I was talking about that other ship's matte painting, maybe that's not suppossed to be a clone ship that's why I surrounded the word with ??'s in my last post! I mean that brownish looking one with the rear raised twin hyperdrive engines(like the Enterprise)that actually is shown taking off from screen: left to right!
Hey, you probably wouldn't remember but for a long time have I stated that I don't like the look of any movies CG effects. I can pick out CG like a squirrel to a nut, so I've learned to deal with it so I don't have preconcieved notions about a movie when going in, 'cause I concentrate on the story it's morals, and emotion! I just thought that matte painting stood out more than usual as a bad effect and didn't blend well with the CG, and hopefully will be touched up by time the movie rolls around! But, I doubt it! I think most if not all shots in trailers are finished shots!
till May '02! :D :cool:

JediTricks
11-18-2001, 11:47 PM
Xir, think about it from another point of view, some "negative" folks are saying "this could suck" are not setting themselves up for disappointment, because they're expecting disappointment so at the worst, they can only be proven right. On the other hand, if the movie DOESN'T suck, they get something they weren't expecting. On the other hand, if they get their hopes up or get swallowed into the hype and the movie DOESN'T live up to said hopes and/or hype, then they are disappointed.

Tycho
11-19-2001, 01:52 AM
I have FUN getting swallowed up in the hype and on AOTC's being a great movie? With what I saw - I'm completely sold!

Well Done and Bravo! I can't wait for more!

Bothan187
11-20-2001, 12:28 AM
But all the opinions and arguing aside, when we all sit down in that theatre and those infamous blue words appear on the screen, we all share in that great feeling and excitment that is and only can be Star Wars! - Xir

I think that says it all folks. How true; how true.

2-1B
05-09-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Hayden didn't capture my attention at all with his flat acting and his anger towards Obi-Wan feeling more like a tantrum than the beginnings of the Dark Side.

JT, can I assume you are talking about the line about how Obi-Wan is holding him back? Based on that presumption, I COMPLETELY see your point.
But do you think it's possible that it might come off better in the context of the entire scene? That quote, along with the "excuse me . . . security . . . m'lady" from 'Clone War' did/do have me worried about those scenes, but after reading them in the novelization it seemed like it might be alright. Well, I'm hoping so at least! :D

JediTricks
05-09-2002, 09:42 PM
Caesar, that is indeed the line that set me off, though there were other instances too. I *suppose* it's possible it'll work better in context, but if so, then that makes it an even worse choice to dump into the trailer.

Wookiee
05-13-2002, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure about the timelines or chronology of it all, but I wonder if it was a mistake portraying Anakin and Padme as teen-agers in Episode II and III.
Whenever I pictured Anakin, I always kept Darth Vader in mind. He'd have to be one seriously dark and deeply troubled dude. Most teenagers are dark and deeply troubled, or at least act that way, so you need something to set him apart. That's why I think it would have been wise to make Episodes II and III about ten years later in the chronology. Granted there is going to be a lot of time that is not covered by movie footage. I'd just as soon have that be Anakin's youth. Maybe someone could jump in here, but I imagine Episodes II and III are fairly consecutive, meaning The Character of Anakin as portrayed by teenager Hayden Christiansen is to go directly into the dark helmet. (HC is signed on for III right?) So then Anakin is Darth Vader for like 20 years before ANH that we don't see on screen.
I think it would have been better to have the transformation into Vader occur a little later in Anakin's life. There would be a lot more time for him to ponder and struggle with his decision to turn to the dark side. I'd hate to see the formation of one of the greatest baddies of all time find its roots in teenage angst.
Plus, Vader is one imposing, scary, and most of all BIG mother scratcher. David Prowse was like 6 foot 4. and thick too. Christianson in that suit would look like a trick or treater from the early 80's.
There's a lot of other stuff about Anakin and Padme that kind of bothers me too, that I think would be better if they were both about 10 or 15 years older. The romance wouldn't look so "cutesy" for one thing. I was kind of shocked that Episode I made Anakin so young. They should have started the entire story a little farther down the road. But then I haven't seen Episode II yet, so I may feel differently in a week.

Tycho
05-13-2002, 04:56 PM
They wanted to establish his relationship with his mother for one. That will help turn Anakin bad as he takes revenge for her.

They also wanted to show that he was trained from an age where he was already too old and had too many non-Jedi preconceptions about the world, but was essentially still a good person. However, love, loyalty, romance - all of this was things he had at least a child's notion of expectations for WHEN he left to train for the Jedi. Children taken close to birth and raised in the temple have none of these preconceptions.

Finally, while Anakin was too old to begin the training, Obi-Wan was too young. Without the Sith, he would have just about began to take his trials to become a Knight. I assume each Jedi's Trials are personal to them. Like 'face your greatest fear' or overcome the largest obstacle to your training and the Council sets up a test that will push you against your own weaknesses. In the face of losing his Master and facing a Sith Lord down, they thought Obi-Wan did pretty good and they Knighted him. But that never made him qualified to be a Master, especially of some kid who was missing 9 years of crucial training. Not to mention that they are 15 years apart in age difference. (Obi-Wan was 24 in TPM).

So imagine having your first kid at age 15 and being a parent.

Or more accurate in comparison, having your first kid at age 30, but your kid is 15 and you had no relationship to him prior - he was just dumped on you by a relative.

The Phantom Menace established all that situation, while the galaxy unawarily elected Palpatine Supreme Chancellor through a trade dispute that he orchestrated from behind the scenes.

TPM WAS necessary, as is the way the story is developing.

I might guess that Wookiee is older than his 20's and more interested in adult characters (or characters significantly older than himself to be properly fearful of an evil one). While not a fan of the "Jason" movies, I remind you that Jason was a teenager I think (actually I never saw them). But whatever the case with Vader may be, ANH has to take place 18 years later so Luke and Leia can grow up. That makes Vader 41 in ANH and it is believable that he can fight. I guess it could be believable were he to be 51, but that begs the question - when does a partially destroyed and mechanized Sith Lord on a life-support system actually get too old and "retire?"

Finally, Star Wars was meant for kids and teenagers as we were when Luke Skywalker was our hero. Let the kids have Anakin now. We have Obi-Wan anyway, and he turns out to be a little better if you pardon the pathological liar part.

Darth Nihilus
05-13-2002, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the love story aspect of Ep2, it just seems like Lucas has crammed too much into this movie for it to dominate. After seeing the Clone War and Forbidden Love trailers I wonder how he'll fit everything in.

Wookiee
05-14-2002, 07:47 AM
I suppose it all adds up. I guess when I pictured Anakin in my mind before the new trilogy, I always thought of him in his adulthood. I did kind of picture Vader as being about 50 too.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to this weekend, should be fun, I'm going with some guys from work.
- and I turned 28 yesterday :)

Tycho
05-14-2002, 12:56 PM
Happy Birthday. And we're about the same age - btw.

scruffziller
06-08-2002, 07:34 PM
I don't think so, the love story is an extremely essential part of the SW saga (how would Luke and Leiacome into the picture). I see it as part of SW just as the Tie Fighters.;)