PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube loses Resident Evil Exclusive

JON9000
04-13-2003, 06:04 PM
Whoo hoo! GC gets one more Res Evil game all to itself, then the other platforms get the next one. I really thought the graphics for the remake on GC and Res Evil 0 looked awesome. Apparently the lackluster GC sales combined with it core market being on the younger side have made the Res Evil games a bad fit. Oh well. Now if only the same thing would happen for Rogue Squadron.

James Boba Fettfield
04-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Is there a source for this story?

JON9000
04-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Nah, just read it while surfing the other day. Coulda been on IGN or some link from GAMEFAQS

James Boba Fettfield
04-14-2003, 10:46 AM
April 04, 2003 - Yesterday, Japan's Nikkei Industrial Newspaper released a report stating that Capcom would be reevaluating its exclusivity stance on GameCube software support. According to the paper, beginning with the Resident Evil series, the company would be looking into expanding its software support for other hardware manufacturers. Resident Evil is mentioned as an example of a game with high development costs that has sold less than expected on the Nintendo system.
Today, via its website, Capcom issued a statement which which we presume was made to counter the article. The statement reads, "In line with our announcement on September 13, 2001, we have no current plans to bring Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil, two titles currently in release for the GameCube, to other platforms. Also, with regards to Resident Evil 4, which is currently undergoing development, we plan on releasing the game as a GameCube title."

We'll point out that this statement doesn't really counter the points brought up by the Nikkei article. However, we though we'd share it with you anyway so as to confuse you further than you already are. For now, rather than concerning yourself with all this talk of exclusivity and what not, we'd suggest you take a look at all our previous coverage of Resident Evil 4, which includes a lovely high-res direct feed movie.

-- Anoop Gantayat, Contributor
IGN (http://cube.ign.com/articles/392/392289p1.html)

This is the only thing I could find about it, but I can't find any mention of Capcom saying they were releasing more Resident Evil games for other consoles, outside of the online game and the light gun series.

Lord Malakite
04-14-2003, 02:45 PM
That is all I have heard regarding the Resident Evil games too.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-14-2003, 05:59 PM
They just need to put these back on the PS2 where they belong. Granted, the GC Version of RE was great and i have yet to play RE 0, but still, bring them back to their home, playstation! :D

QLD
04-14-2003, 06:02 PM
I would prefer they go to the X-Box myself.

The PS2 loading times are much longer than the X-Box's. I hate when it takes too long for a new room or level to load in the RE games. But whichever system they release the games on, I will buy them.

Though lately, I feel a little burned out on the RE series. Too many versions, remakes prequels.....and not enough actual sequels. In fact, I don't even think I know WHAT the hell is going on in the RE universe these days. They should take a 1 or 2 year break, and come back strong.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-14-2003, 06:31 PM
I kinda agree QLD, i was hella disappointed by the "light" gun versions, "survivor" i believe they were dubbed, what rubbish!! I haven't beaten RE3 yet, and prolly should, since i've beaten all the ps versions. AFter that, onto Code Veronica, then i can be complete in the RE universe. :D

QLD
04-15-2003, 12:48 PM
RE3 was very light on story, and was by far the easiest one to finish. You get endles ammo, and the few battles you have, are repetitive.

Code Veronica is awesome. That alone would have made my Dreamcast purchase well worth it. I got near the end, but had to re-start because I left the empty fire extinguisher behind in the metal detector box, and you need it to get the magnum near the end..... :rolleyes:

So needless to say, I haven't finished it yet.......

JON9000
04-15-2003, 12:53 PM
I heard the RE2 and 3 versions for the GC are nothing but shameless rehashes of their original PS versions. If I were a GC owner and had pluncked down the cash, I would have been really mad about that.

James Boba Fettfield
04-15-2003, 01:13 PM
I'd rather Capcom focus on Resident Evil 4, instead of redoing 2, 3, and CV to match the graphics of Remake and 0. If anything, I'm happy about the situation as a GC owner.

Lman316
04-15-2003, 02:45 PM
I don't technically own a Gamecube (my brother does), but I play his copy of Resident Evil 0. I have to say that they'd probably do better on the Gamecube, as I don't think any other system could match them on graphics. To me, it just seems the GC is more dedicated to the games rather than wasting space on DVD players and the like. I might be wrong, but I own a Playstation 2 and I like my brother's GC better...

I was irked as well to see that Resident Evil 2 and 3 on GC were just the basic PS versions. See, if they had been redone, that would have been $100 spent because I would buy them. I mean, what is the point of getting them if you already have them for your Playstation or Dreamcast? They're so worried about low sales and the like...why would they think that anyone would plunk down $40 for a game they can get for $20 or less for a different system? :rolleyes: (unless of course there is something different about them that I don't know about...)

I don't know. If they move back to all systems, that's fine - I just like playing them. But like I said, I think the graphics on the Gamecube are much better and I don't even think the XBox could match them (at least on RE).

Anyone know when RE 4 is due to come out? I'm hoping before August because I want something to play while I'm waiting for Silent Hill 3... Can't wait for that one :D.

End...

James Boba Fettfield
04-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Not until sometime in 2004 before RE4 hits.

evenflow
04-16-2003, 07:14 AM
They should just make it for all the systems.

DewMan37
05-01-2003, 04:15 PM
RE Online is going to be on the PS2, haven't heard anything about any other games though.