PDA

View Full Version : Lots of repackaging

Darthvader7677
04-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Hi all,

I sure you all know. That lately hasbro has been repackaging alot of the same figures (exp. Eeth koth, Rebel Trooper, Imperial Trooper, and Teebo) So to be more. Just wondering what you all thought about that. Do you care? or would you rather see them make different figures then just repackaging them. Only reason I ask is because if your a hard core collector like most of us are. It kind of sucks spending $20.00 bucks on a set of 4 figures that aren't really new, just repackaged. Tell me what you think, and thanks for your time.

LTBasker
04-15-2003, 07:09 PM
Well really you don't have to pick them up, and I don't mind them rereleasing some figures as long as they make sense. Such as for the astromechs, or the characters in the Imperial 4-pack, or the Hoth pack. Stuff like the Bounty Hunter pack, KE Jango and FB 3PO getting planned for rerelease kinda makes me mad though. There's much better stuff they could have made in place them.

Kidhuman
04-15-2003, 07:52 PM
If I already have them I won't buy them. I have the Teebo, and Imperial trooper and all so I don't need to get them. I would get a Sio Bibble or others that I missed if they did those. Maybe Hasbro Fan Chice 6 or another poll would be good to get one that we missed.

Roufuss
04-15-2003, 07:57 PM
I like em, because I only really got back into toys around the end of 2001, and didn't get back into Star Wars until the middle of 2002.

It's cool to be able to get figures I missed, without paying higher costs for some of them.

Jargo
04-15-2003, 08:01 PM
I don't mind the rebel fleet troopers and the imperial officers because they do at least have new heads. I can't for the life of me see the point of releasing Teebo again though. Eeth was in the movie so the kids who missed him first time round will get him. I can see the point of why hasbro is remarketing the better sculpts of the core characters although i wish they'd reconsider releasing another boring Jango and Darth Maul.

I'm hoping they'll look back over the production runs of some hard to find stuff and redo that like Leia as boushh or Ishi Tib or the last wave of Episode one. Those are worth repackaging because hardly anyone got them first time round. Beasts would be nice to see repacked, the bantha is a terrific beastie and so is the ronto, Now we've just had the sandtrooper army builder set released how about the Dewback with retooled sandtrooper? Wouldn't take that much to do it. The Eopie would be good for most of the world to get a chance to get one. There's better stuff could be done on re-releases but not at the expense of getting new characters and fresh assortments out.

Turbowars
04-15-2003, 08:09 PM
I love card variations so yeah it's cool, but like EJ said, why Teebo? Why not a Zuckuss or R2-B1? The molds are there just like Teebo's.:confused:

Darthvader7677
04-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I for one will buy preety much anything. I have both rebel and Imperial troop variations. Can't say I have all the saga set w/o buying repackaged figures. Its nice to hear what other collectors have to say.

Roufuss
04-15-2003, 08:15 PM
For people who didn't get a Teebo the first time.

Hell, if I didn't find mine at a flea market by luck, I would have loved to get the chance to buy one on the pegs.

Darthvader7677
04-15-2003, 08:17 PM
I can see making repackaging figures, but why repackage figures that come out a couple of years ago. Not POTJ ones that just came out. I now there making a new jedi luke, but it took them long enough.

Turbowars
04-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Roufuss
For people who didn't get a Teebo the first time.

Hell, if I didn't find mine at a flea market by luck, I would have loved to get the chance to buy one on the pegs. Well, I say why because Teebo wasn't a hot figure, They should release some of the hot ones like the last wave of EP1.

TheDarthVader
04-15-2003, 09:44 PM
I don't think any figure should be re-released unless it is ultra rare. It hurts the collectability of the figures. I am not a seller but a collector. And when I shell out $30 for an acension gun padme, I want it to remain rare. Let others shell out the big $$ too or trade for it or do whatever to see to it that the rare figures go into their collections. If it is too expensive for them, perhaps they are not in the right hobby. I, personally, do not have all the money in the world...but I find ways to save my money to get the figures that I need. I shelled out $12 for an Eeth Koth POTJ not too long ago, and now he's for sale for $5. That's not fair for my money that I worked so hard to save in the first place to depreciate so quickly. Just my opinion. Hope I didn't offend :)

Prince Xizor
04-15-2003, 10:36 PM
It doesn't bother me at all, actually I am all for it. I started collecting very late in the game, so I missed a lot of the good stuff and these repacks are a chance for me to get some of it.

Although I can't figure out why they are re-releasing KE Jango, there are still some of the first issues warming the pegs at K-Mart out here.

LTBasker
04-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader
I don't think any figure should be re-released unless it is ultra rare. It hurts the collectability of the figures. I am not a seller but a collector. And when I shell out $30 for an acension gun padme, I want it to remain rare. Let others shell out the big $$ too or trade for it or do whatever to see to it that the rare figures go into their collections.

Ergh... You know if they just rereleased the figures, you wouldn't have to pay $30, and so it wouldn't even get the chance to be worth that in the first place.

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-15-2003, 11:31 PM
I think it's ok... Yes new sculpts would be nice but there are people that like me don't have many of the older figs... I've heard different things like selling to make room or to help pay for colledge and stuff and this helps collectors get the figures they missed without having to pay big bucks for them on EBay

bobafrett
04-16-2003, 12:06 AM
I've got a lot of figures, and a short term memory. I end up with doubles of some of the less interesting figures, because I forget if I have them yet, only to get home, and find one already in my collection. I'm terrible as far as keeping my figures in seperate card backs. I finally have the saga figures in order, but I think that's only because they are numbered 1 through ???.

Jayspawn
04-16-2003, 12:31 AM
I don't mind repackaging too much. I bought Teebo and Eeth Koth the first time around so I didn't buy them again.

I think Hasbro should repackage R5-D4, TC-14 and Sio Bibble though.

seth_quinn
04-16-2003, 02:21 AM
frett - the # you're looking for is 57 (teebo) ;-) - also, if you bought too many imp officers & reb troopers pm me!

what I want to know is; what thought process goes into how hasbro decides what gets repackaged? does someone actually say "you know what? l think repackaging teebo and eeth koth, as is, is a much better idea, than doing something we've never done before or a popular character we royally cluster f**ked the first time around (or repeatedly)" is it a matter of hasbro initially producing more than they put out on cards and released, and now they're looking to clear dead stock out of the warehouse. or are they actually molding more of all these figures that seem to be of no interest or value except to collectors that missed them the first time around. (I haven't seen any repackaged stuff yet, do they all have updated copyright dates molded into them?)

collecting for me began as a child with hockey cards. this instilled a deep seeded need to fill every box on a checklist, so yes I will end up getting all these repacks at some point. it's a fault that I've come to except (still working on the gf though). as for re-doing other things that have been rarities until this point. a little background first. I am a Canadian. our average wage/income and cost of living etc. isn't that different than living in the US. however, the difference in the value of our currencies on the world market is. an American could have had a shuttle ordered from fao delivered for what? less than $150 all in. mine cost me very near $300 Canadian. that means I had to work twice as long/hard for mine. so do I want to see about 25% of my collection re-released for less than half of what I paid for it because some people were a bit late getting on board? no, not really. I'm not complaining here, just explaining the reasons for my opinion. if it wasn't worth it to me, I simply wouldn't collect. I'm not trying to discourage new collectors either, the more the better - if there's enough of us maybe hasbro will actually listen to what we have to say one day. and sorry you missed out on some choice stuff in the past but if collecting is worth it to you too, you're gonna have to cough up for the things you really want. "if they just re-released the figures, you wouldn't have to pay $30" - but I already did. ;-)

Dark Marble
04-16-2003, 09:48 AM
It is interesting to see hasbro doing this. It is cheaper to repackage an old figure, and since it is not a movie year there will be some fall out on interest in the line. I don't have any strong feelings about it one way or the other. There is enough new with the old to keep everything balanced. It would just be nice to see the pegs clear of older saga junk so we could get something new, even if is is repackaged older stuff. It saves me some cash becuase I don't have to buy it all, and with every rerelease there will be something that I need. I say keep the wave coming because I need my throne room duel Luke and Darth!! :happy:

Darkross
04-16-2003, 11:27 AM
I don't mind repacking...especially when it is of hard to find figures...like Imperial Officer. I would like to see hasbro re-release the CLEAN Bikerscout and the Com-Tech Stormtrooper. As far as other re-packs...who really cares. These are the guys I'm looking for.

Darkross
04-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Oh yeah...

It would be really nice if Hasbro re-released the Tatooine Skiff and Y-Wing and B-wing with Saga Packaging...and then re-release the Imperial Shuttle to Wal-Mart or Toys R Us in Canada.

sith_killer_99
04-16-2003, 12:07 PM
I don't think any figure should be re-released unless it is ultra rare. It hurts the collectability of the figures. I am not a seller but a collector. And when I shell out $30 for an acension gun padme, I want it to remain rare.

Ergh... You know if they just rereleased the figures, you wouldn't have to pay $30, and so it wouldn't even get the chance to be worth that in the first place.

I don't even consider this a dilemma. If a figure is re-packed the original will still maintain it's value, from a "carded collector's" point of view.

Case in point, Weequay! The Freeze Frame Weequay is still going strong at $300.00 a pop, yet I have recall numerous stores having a hard time clearancing regular holo-foil or color photo Weequays' for $1.99!!!

If Hasbro released the ToyFair Vader on a SAGA card do you honestly think the anniversary packaged ToyFair Vader would sell for a whole lot less than it is now?

So IMO, the point is moot. If Hasbro is going to re-release figures I think they should look at 2 things.

1. Army Builders
2. Short run figures (such as Ree-Yees)

I think Hasbro did a bang up job by re-releasing the Death Star Trooper, and selling their "troop builder" packs. Anything else just seems like a waste.

aceguide
04-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Agreed - troop builders and "rare" or end-of-the-line figs.

However, they are doing a service to those folks that might have missed out on earlier offerings.

So I'm all for it - so long as new releases continue to be produced. Now if they were only available....