PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay?



stillakid
04-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Okay, everybody has something that they've always wanted, be it a toy, a night with a supermodel, an exotic car, whatever.

For instance, one of the things I always wanted was that Don Post Deluxe Darth Vader mask which retailed for $1200 bucks. Needless to say, when the opportunity arose to acquire it for less than that price, I snatched it up...but if I hadn't done it then, I would have eventually gotten it anyway...somehow...somewhere.

For another hypothetical, say that you've got an almost complete collection of action figures...minus one. What would you fork over to snag that last elusive piece of the puzzle?

So for you, what is it and how much would you be willing to pay?

Kidhuman
04-15-2003, 11:19 PM
If it was a figure from the vintage line such as Luke Stormtrooper I would pay up to 500 dollars MOC. I mean heck I want a vintage Fett and am willing to pay up to the same amount for one.

bobafrett
04-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Well personally I would like to pick up one of those lifesize Stormtrooper or Vaders that were out several years back. I think they retailed for around $5,000. When I got my credit card with a $5,000 line of credit on it, I almost went and bought one. I still want one, and I may get it, someday !

RussUAE
04-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Not really a completist. So I thankfully should never be in that position. I guess a couple of hundred dollars should be ok though if it is something that important.

Tonysmo
04-16-2003, 12:51 AM
I, to this day, am still trying out how to drop 600 on the trooper armor without - thats a big WITHOUT - my wife sticking her foot in my butt.. but thats the ONE thing I REALLY REALLY want.. The biggest question I get is WHAT would I do with it.. DUH!! I'd wear it.. I'd wear it to the freakin grocery store to buy milk.. I'd wear it everywhere..

I did come pretty close a few months ago.. I saw one with a buy it now on Ebay for 525.. lowest price Ive seen in awhile.. I just dont know which one is the best one, and I dont want to get ripped off.. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find a suit with the best price.. Im thinking of starting a new thread to figure out which fourmites have their own armor, what they have, how much it costs etc etc..
but thats it.. the one thing I really want.. just cant seem to get up enough nerve to drop that kinda cash.. if I find the right deal.. Ill cave like any other die hard fan of course.. but so far I havent come across anything.

stillakid
04-16-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Tonysmo
I, to this day, am still trying out how to drop 600 on the trooper armor without - thats a big WITHOUT - my wife sticking her foot in my butt.. but thats the ONE thing I REALLY REALLY want.. The biggest question I get is WHAT would I do with it.. DUH!! I'd wear it.. I'd wear it to the freakin grocery store to buy milk.. I'd wear it everywhere..

I did come pretty close a few months ago.. I saw one with a buy it now on Ebay for 525.. lowest price Ive seen in awhile.. I just dont know which one is the best one, and I dont want to get ripped off.. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find a suit with the best price.. Im thinking of starting a new thread to figure out which fourmites have their own armor, what they have, how much it costs etc etc..
but thats it.. the one thing I really want.. just cant seem to get up enough nerve to drop that kinda cash.. if I find the right deal.. Ill cave like any other die hard fan of course.. but so far I havent come across anything.

501st (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=70553#post70553) ;)

And here: Stormtrooper Uniform (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=210620#post210620)

And mine: Biker Scout (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=191075#post191075)

I suggest buying it in pieces if you can. There are various guys out there who vacuuform the costumes and some are better than others. Check out the 501st ( www.501st.com ) and visit conventions if you can. Sometimes those guys show up in costume. Find the one(s) you like and ask them where they got their armor. You don't have to wait for an auction. Where there's money to be made, there is somebody out there who will send you what you want. :)


Aside from wanting to splurge on an IPOD, I'd really like to put together a Rocketeer costume. But the cost right now is prohibitive. The jacket alone will cost me upwards of $600 bucks. And that's only useful if I can manage to find a mask. Plus, it looks as if I'd have to construct my own rocketpack. It's a big expensive project that'll have to wait a while longer. :)

jeddah
04-16-2003, 04:22 AM
Well, my ongoing aluminium 1:1 scale R2-D2 is costing me an arm and a leg. So far I have spent over $2000.00 on parts and so there is no ceiling on my limit. I must admit to having put it on hold till my financila situation improves :eek:

:)

But, for a John Crichton PK red and black leather jacket, I would pay up to $5k. Luckily my sister works in fashion design and is getting one made for me for 40.00 :D
:cool:
jeddah

gibbspaulus
04-16-2003, 05:40 AM
I want a full size Dalek, and a full-sized TARDIS, but they'd set me back 3.5k. That's, what, nearly $5k?

he partner came back with a big world of 'no' on that one!!!

Jargo
04-16-2003, 06:56 AM
If i had the funds there would no limit. I'm not the sort of person who can keep savings. If I have the money I spend it. Once it's gone it's gone. So I'll be a pauper when i'm old because I'll not have the financial means to look after myself but then i gues park benches can be comfortable....

So yeah, no limits at all besides the fact that my income isn't great. I'd love to have a royal guard outfit while we're talking about them but i tried on a Don Post royal guard helmet once and it's way too claustrophobic in there. Really scary in fact. So i think i'd settle for replica Emperor's robes and cane. It's all about being able to breath.... :)

Dr Zoltar
04-16-2003, 11:39 AM
There was a resin Cthulhu statue out a few years back that I wish I had gotten. They were limited to like 1000 pieces and retailed for $100. They were really nice but I had a crap job back then and couldn't afford it. Now they are nowhere to be seen. But it was the best likeness to Cthulhu I've seen -- ever!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Granted, these aren't made, but if i found atrue, awesome Boba Fett costume, i'd give anything for it. Sure, i could make my own, but tha'ts too hard, and i can't build stuff worth a damn. :D

stillakid
04-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Granted, these aren't made, but if i found atrue, awesome Boba Fett costume, i'd give anything for it. Sure, i could make my own, but tha'ts too hard, and i can't build stuff worth a damn. :D

There are lots of guys out there with Fett armor. Head to www.501st.com and ask around. :)

Deoxyribonucleic
04-16-2003, 01:42 PM
I'd like stormtrooper armor and/or the boussh costume for me...to wear!

I'd pay up to or around 700.00 bucks, but of course if it were more, I'd pay it! I'm a sucker for the things I really, really want!

jeddah
04-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Granted, these aren't made, but if i found atrue, awesome Boba Fett costume, i'd give anything for it. Sure, i could make my own, but tha'ts too hard, and i can't build stuff worth a damn. :D

I would check out the RPF (Replica Props Forum) as you could do a lot worse. There are guys there that sometimes offer to do a run of certain movie props, notably Clone armour, Trooper armour, Terminator, Hellraiser and other stuff. They are absolute detail freaks so you have some people with ESB Boba Fett costumes, some with ROTJ costumes and so on.

A word of advice would be as a newbie, you would have to be a little reserved when it comes to overzealous posting, this is a really 'pro' site. Not that the members are nasty or anything, just that fools are not suffered gladly (and not that youare a fool. Oh damn, I'm getting myself all tied up here :D )

Our very own Mr Glitch from the MM section is a RPFer (and so am I)

Check it out , you'll be glad you did, I bet

:)

jeddah

Vortex
04-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
There was a resin Cthulhu statue out a few years back that I wish I had gotten. They were limited to like 1000 pieces and retailed for $100. They were really nice but I had a crap job back then and couldn't afford it. Now they are nowhere to be seen. But it was the best likeness to Cthulhu I've seen -- ever!

Wow, ripped from my mail today. I got this goofy, don't remember filling out any information or requests for this, order catalog called Museum Replicas Limited, and wouldn't you know it on page 68 they have a Cthulhu statue. About 9" high, limited to 750 pieces for 80 bucks. the number is #9-799.

I was thumbing through getting a kick outta the chain mail, xena knock offs, maces, swords, helmets, gothic junk, wizards robes, etc. Anything midevil thing you could want is at that site. Some of those female models looked pretty good in some of those mistress dresses and warrior outfits :D

Anyways, just thought I'd pass along the info...

As for me...no cash limit, anything I wanted...I really don't have a Holy Grail of Figures or outfits. But if I had to choose, I'd want a full arcade set up of the old autocad line star wars game. The one where you just made runs on the death star and shot up the ties. I'd want a working 80's arcade cabinet of that game.

I have a semi working copy for the PC now, but its just not the same...

bobafrett
04-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
I'd like stormtrooper armor and/or the boussh costume for me...to wear!

I'd pay up to or around 700.00 bucks, but of course if it were more, I'd pay it! I'm a sucker for the things I really, really want!

Yes, I own a set of trooper armor, it was not cheap, and I've had to put it together, and had to modify it, since I'm only 5'09". I'm in the picture somewhere. This was on Saturday at CII and someone did some nice work in photoshop, look at the building, similar to the picture that stillakid posted, yet different.

stillakid
04-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by jeddah
I would check out the RPF (Replica Props Forum) as you could do a lot worse. There are guys there that sometimes offer to do a run of certain movie props, notably Clone armour, Trooper armour, Terminator, Hellraiser and other stuff. They are absolute detail freaks so you have some people with ESB Boba Fett costumes, some with ROTJ costumes and so on.

A word of advice would be as a newbie, you would have to be a little reserved when it comes to overzealous posting, this is a really 'pro' site. Not that the members are nasty or anything, just that fools are not suffered gladly (and not that youare a fool. Oh damn, I'm getting myself all tied up here :D )

Our very own Mr Glitch from the MM section is a RPFer (and so am I)

Check it out , you'll be glad you did, I bet

:)

jeddah

Would you post the link to that forum? Are there any "Rocketeers" in there somewhere?

bobafrett
04-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Don't know why the picture didn't show up. Let me try again. Wait, I see noiw, it was a BMP, I know I have it somewhere as a jpg. I'll have to try again later, as I have to get to work. Arrgghhh!

jeddah
04-16-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Would you post the link to that forum? Are there any "Rocketeers" in there somewhere?

Hi SK, I would be happy to ; Replica Propbuilders forum (http://rpf.prop-planet.com/index.php)

And yes.....Rocketeer stuff is mentioned alot. I am sure I have seen a helmet or two :D

Hope you are keeping well, long time no speak :)

jeddah

stillakid
04-16-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by jeddah
Hi SK, I would be happy to ; Replica Propbuilders forum (http://rpf.prop-planet.com/index.php)

And yes.....Rocketeer stuff is mentioned alot. I am sure I have seen a helmet or two :D

Hope you are keeping well, long time no speak :)

jeddah

Thanks! My wife got back from a London schooltrip on Sat. and we just finished looking at her pictures. Lots of very large gray buildings. They just don't build 'em like that anymore. ;)

I'll check out the forum soon....(note to self, squirrel away some more cash)

Exhaust Port
04-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
There was a resin Cthulhu statue out a few years back that I wish I had gotten. They were limited to like 1000 pieces and retailed for $100. They were really nice but I had a crap job back then and couldn't afford it. Now they are nowhere to be seen. But it was the best likeness to Cthulhu I've seen -- ever!

Oh Man, I'm right there with you Dr. Zoltar. I remember seeing that same statue at the local comic book store and I was hooked. The price was a bit steep so I passed. Every few months I'd still see an online store selling it for the same price but I still passed. Now I'm kicking myself for not picking that statue up the first time I saw it. It was by far the best Cthulhu version I'd even seen and still is.

I checked out that Museum Replica statue. It's nice but not nearly as cool as the one from about 5 years ago.

JediTricks
04-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by gibbspaulus
I want a full size Dalek, and a full-sized TARDIS, but they'd set me back 3.5k. That's, what, nearly $5k? ROTF!!! That's like what, 20 times more than those 2 props originally cost, right? :D

Bel-Cam Jos
04-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Star Wars-wise (since this IS a SW website), I'd go with a full size, sit inside, SW video game machine. When I was on vacation in Ohio a few years back, there was an ad in the paper for one at $500. I'd have snagged it in a heartbeat, but taking a 200+ lb. item 2000 miles across the country wasn't an idea I liked.

Non-SW, I'd go with the Holy Grail. Kidding. I already have one.

QLD
04-16-2003, 07:58 PM
I'll pay 10 for a Zuckuss....anyone got one? lol

DarthChuckMc
04-16-2003, 08:31 PM
The only thing I "need" that I can't seems to get, is the Riddell Stormtrooper mini helmet. I have tried winning that thing off of evilBay for almost a year now, but no luck. I don't want to pay more than $140 for one, and everytime I bid my "max" 5 minutes before the auction ends, I lose. Rat bas.....anyway..that's what I'm missing.

stillakid
04-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos


Non-SW, I'd go with the Holy Grail. Kidding. I already have one.


"You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt!"

"I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I f*** in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

QLD
04-16-2003, 08:59 PM
I have noticed stillakid's habit of quoting people's posts with movie posts......still....it is amusing. ;)

Vortex
04-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Star Wars-wise (since this IS a SW website), I'd go with a full size, sit inside, SW video game machine. When I was on vacation in Ohio a few years back, there was an ad in the paper for one at $500. I'd have snagged it in a heartbeat, but taking a 200+ lb. item 2000 miles across the country wasn't an idea I liked.

Non-SW, I'd go with the Holy Grail. Kidding. I already have one.

Sweet a sit down arcade machine...drool...was it the empire one...
man, I'll put that on my list.

As for the Holy Grail...depends who you ask, but lots of folks (cough, cough, crackpots) think its hidden in Rosslyn Chapel, it should be right next to the Ark and the head of christ and some secret scrolls.

So how did you get into the secret vaults? Do you have two?

bobafrett
04-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by DarthChuckMc
The only thing I "need" that I can't seems to get, is the Riddell Stormtrooper mini helmet. I have tried winning that thing off of evilBay for almost a year now, but no luck. I don't want to pay more than $140 for one, and everytime I bid my "max" 5 minutes before the auction ends, I lose. Rat bas.....anyway..that's what I'm missing.

That may have been me, at least one of the times. I paid a little more than that for a Stormtrooper helmet off of eBay.

Here is the picture I was looking for earlier.

stillakid
04-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Lando In My Pants
I have noticed stillakid's habit of quoting people's posts with movie posts......still....it is amusing. ;)




Goodfellas
Tommy: But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fn' amuse you?

Tommy: How the f am I funny? What the f is so funny about me?



;)

Dr Zoltar
04-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Exhaust Port,

Nice to see some other fans of Lovecraft on the boards. That replica one just isn't as creepy as the other one was. The one from 5 years ago ended up being used for a bunch of Chaosium's CoC source books in photos and was even made into a card for their Mythos CCG. I saw it in person once, also at a local comic shop, for $150. I had a crummy job bank then and couldn't afford it. Now that I can afford it, I can't find it!

Exhaust Port
04-18-2003, 04:45 PM
I believe this is the statue we're talking about. Too bad it's gone.

http://www.bowendesigns.com/Images/cthulhu.jpg

dr_evazan22
04-18-2003, 05:29 PM
I don't know if they're still available, but I purchased all 5 mini helmets from KBkids.com about 2 years ago. I hope this can help someone...

As for me...

I wanted the DV statue that can be seen behind GL in the interviews he gave for the THX trilogy. Snagged one on eBay for about 100. I've had it for 4-5 years now, and it's still one of my fav peices.

I still want the life size Han in Carbonite...

Dr Zoltar
04-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Exhaust Port ,

Yeah, that's it. If only I could find someone who wanted to get rid of their's...

stillakid
04-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
Exhaust Port ,

Yeah, that's it. If only I could find someone who wanted to get rid of their's...

Is that the octopus-head guy?

Exhaust Port
04-18-2003, 07:06 PM
It's the Cthulhu statue from the H.P. Lovecraft short story The Call of the Cthulhu.

bobafrett
04-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22

I wanted the DV statue that can be seen behind GL in the interviews he gave for the THX trilogy. Snagged one on eBay for about 100. I've had it for 4-5 years now, and it's still one of my fav peices.



Yes dr_evazan22, I too picked up one of the Darth Vader sculptures that you referred to. I bought mine after seeing it many months in a row in an ad in some sci-fi magazine. They kept changing the deadline, so I finally caved in and bought it. I believe I paid twice what you got yours for. Ouch, but it is one of my favorites! I've had mine many years before I saw it on the trilogy.

James Boba Fettfield
04-19-2003, 12:23 AM
Do I read correctly? People are loving up the Lovecraft stories? Great works that man has. Shadow Over Innsmouth is my favorite, but back to the subject at hand.

I would give a kidney to complete the collection. I mean I need one to live, the other one's just a bag of money waiting to be traded in.

seth_quinn
06-01-2003, 01:34 AM
this indulgence from the Designers Republic's retail site is the fuel that drives me. (sorry, flash site. no direct url)

http://www.thepeoplesbureau.com/

>>

Modern Art.

>>

pink box in the middle of the second row:

In & Out Of Architecture Exibition 22 Banner set. Tokyo