PDA

View Full Version : Silver ROTJ Boba Fett at Mexicon

skyward72
04-16-2003, 07:06 PM
This was quoted over at GalaticHunter

We have received an update from Julio Moreno of the Official Mexican Fan Club regarding July's Collector's Convention. According to insider sources, The Mexi-Con exclusive vac-metallized ROTJ Boba Fett---which will be carded in similar fashion as Toy Fair Vader---is limited to 6,000 pieces and will be available only at the convention and later the U.S. Fan Club.

I can see this piece becoming very hard to find. Harder to find and more expensive then the Toyfair Vader. I'm a little disappointed this piece was picked, especially since its being released in another country.

What do you guys think?

James Boba Fettfield
04-16-2003, 07:08 PM
I'm happy about that U.S. Fan Club bit.

skyward72
04-16-2003, 07:11 PM
I assume the Fan Club will only receive a limited amount. The Silver Darth vader was almost impossible to order it from the Fan Club last time around.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Eh, oh well. Could be cool, but I won't stress over it.

JangoFart
04-16-2003, 09:01 PM
I have a buddy who lives in Mexico City who is going to snag one for me! All I have to do is buy the 2-day pass and mail him the ticket. I'm quite stoked about this and hope it pans out like I want it to. Looks good thusfar.

J

Jerjerrod
04-16-2003, 09:09 PM
I hope I can get one from the Fan Club then. I missed out on Vader, didn't even know it was available at the time.

Hopefully, it a bling-bling Boba 300th! :D :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
04-16-2003, 09:12 PM
I said that thing about the Fan Club because I didn't have any problems ordering Vader from them. Lord Malakite contacted me, I got on my damn home dial up connection, and ordered them as soon as they became available. I'm not worried about Fett yet.

kool-aid killer
04-16-2003, 09:16 PM
Where is the convention going to be at and anybody know when? Im going to the beautiful state of Guanajuato in early July but Mexico City is a bit further south and i doubt my dad (who disapproves of my collecting) would go just to see if i could get one. Oh well, maybe i will score one from the fan club.

Sidiously Darth
04-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Here's a crazy idea. Anyone that ordered a TF Vader cannot get first dibs on the Fett. If you ordered more than one Vader, it puts you further down the list.

I think they should limit the number per day that can be sold on the fan site. The first 2 days are for those who didn't get a Vader. I'm sure they keep records of who & where they send stuff. The next 2 days are for those who didn't get a Vader & those who only ordered 1. Then after that it's open to everyone.

I know this is a whacky idea and I'm not going to work out any fine details. It's just an idea.

RussUAE
04-17-2003, 12:43 AM
I had read previsouly somewhere that they would be widely available later this year. Hopefully that doesn't mean just from the Fan Club. Similar quantities to the Silver R2 would be good.

aceguide
04-17-2003, 10:02 AM
This type of exclusive irritates me to no end. Why make it so difficult, and potentially expensive, to get a figure? The silver R2 was perfect. Lots available. I doubt they took a bath on that one- and it seems as though everyone that wanted one got one.

Make the packaging exclusive - fine. But PLEASE make the figures available to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JangoFart
04-17-2003, 10:31 AM
I disagree with that to a degree, aceguide.

I'm happy that my Toy Fair Vader is rather limited; same with my Sacul figure. I'm also looking forward to having one of these rare Fett's from the Mex. City con.

I would not mind, per se, differing packaging so that the masses could get the figures. But, I'd like to see VASTLY differing packaging, so as to keep the uniqueness of the exclusive.

I will get one from Mexico and I'll get the one through the Fan Club. It should be nice to have them both; nicer if they have very different packaging so as to avert any confusion and to make the "exclusive" live up to that name.

J

stillakid
04-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by aceguide
This type of exclusive irritates me to no end. Why make it so difficult, and potentially expensive, to get a figure? The silver R2 was perfect. Lots available. I doubt they took a bath on that one- and it seems as though everyone that wanted one got one.

Make the packaging exclusive - fine. But PLEASE make the figures available to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with you. For the life of me, I see no good reason for any manufacturer to make part of their inventory something that is hard to obtain by a consumer. It does very little to spur new customers and only enfuriates current clientelle. Isn't the point of a business to make money?

"Added value" you say? What, like a real "collector" really plans on selling his one and only Sacul or Toyfair Vader anytime soon? Insurance companies don't even recognize Star Wars toys as anything truly collectible yet, so the only inherent financial value is fabricated. Beyond that, for the manufacturer, they see none of that post-retail "added value," so what's in it for them?

As I said, it's highly unlikely that some kid or adult will begin collecting Star Wars stuff just because he gets a free R2 that was left over from earlier stock and repainted with a cheap silver coating. Jorg Sacul? Is somebody going to tell me that a sizable contingent of non-fan, non-collectors actually paid to go to Indianapolis, stood in line for hours on end, just for the chance to obtain an "exclusive" action figure in the off chance that if it was cool enough, they'd start collecting all the other action figures as well?

Take a look at special "chase cards" that companies like Upper Deck toss out to the masses. These exist within the Star Wars realm as well. Limited run autographed cards by their very nature are "rare," unless you can get the poor actor or sports star to sit down for 40 days and 40 nights to do nothing but scribble his name.

But a mass marketed molded piece of plastic is "repeatable" as long as the company wants to churn it out. "Exclusive" should mean that it is exclusive to the outlet who is blessed with the opportunity to resell it to us. "Exclusive" shouldn't mean that only a few lucky consumers get the opportunity to take it home.

JangoFart
04-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
As I said, it's highly unlikely that some kid or adult will begin collecting Star Wars stuff just because he gets a free R2 that was left over from earlier stock and repainted with a cheap silver coating. Jorg Sacul? Is somebody going to tell me that a sizable contingent of non-fan, non-collectors actually paid to go to Indianapolis, stood in line for hours on end, just for the chance to obtain an "exclusive" action figure in the off chance that if it was cool enough, they'd start collecting all the other action figures as well?

I agree with what you're saying mostly, but this bit is the counter to your main argument. The reason for these exclusive figures is not to attract new collectors - it is to "reward", so to speak, the existing fan base and keep them coming back for more.

I just had a thought: the info I've read says that the Mexico City version of this figure will come in a numbered collector's box. That makes me think that this figure will just be the 300th Fett in a box identical to its existing box, but with different styled graphics. This would make sense since the last Mexican exclusive was the 25th Ann. Vader and Ben in their existing box with different graphics.

Any thoughts on this?

J

2-1B
04-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
Here's a crazy idea. Anyone that ordered a TF Vader cannot get first dibs on the Fett. If you ordered more than one Vader, it puts you further down the list.

I ordered 2 Vaders and plan on getting 2 Fetts as well. :)

OC47150
04-17-2003, 01:22 PM
This is one piece I know won't be in my collection because of its availability. Sounds cool but I think it'll be harder to find than TF Vader.

stillakid
04-17-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
I agree with what you're saying mostly, but this bit is the counter to your main argument. The reason for these exclusive figures is not to attract new collectors - it is to "reward", so to speak, the existing fan base and keep them coming back for more.

For the life of me, I see no good reason for any manufacturer to make part of their inventory something that is hard to obtain by a consumer. It does very little to spur new customers and only enfuriates current clientelle. Isn't the point of a business to make money?

Reward for who? The fortunate 6000, 5000, or less that manage to snag one of these exclusives at the original price? Or are collectors being "rewarded" later on with a higher scalper price from people who had no intentions but to resell in the first place?

If exclusives are about "rewarding" faithful collectors, then this is where the Proof of Purchase element gets introduced. Way back when, it was the method of choice for distributing items early to those that wanted them or for offering limited edition collectables. But making an item an "exclusive" to a specific outlet does nothing but make all those who didn't buy the item at "retail" angry.

DarthChuckMc
04-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth

Why? Just why? Because I went to the website everyday at random times, and happened to get lucky enough to order one, I should be punished? That makes no sense at all.

I agree with exclusives. I like them. Most of the time they turn out to be something we wouldn't get otherwise (Imperial Shuttle). The only problem is, people taking advantage of the situation (like being able to afford the trip to Mexico), and then turning around and selling the thing at an inflated price creating a false value on it.

The only "good" thing about the Mexicon exclusive is, it's only given out to people that buy a 2 day pass, one per person. Now, if only the event staff can keep a handle on things, and not let "extras" slip out, only the people that "earned" them will be selling them on eBay the next day.

I'll wait until the Fan Club version, but if I'm not lucky enough to get one, I won't throw a hissy fit, I'll just deal with it. It sucks, but it's the reality of the situation.

Sidiously Darth
04-17-2003, 02:25 PM
DCMc, I guess my sarcasm wasn't clear. I should have added the proper smilie :crazed: , so people would understand that I was joking.

There's no way they would try to initiate something like that. It's always a first come, first serve. The one thing they will probably do is limit the number you can order.

DarthChuckMc
04-17-2003, 02:58 PM
No harm, no foul. Believe it or not, I've heard a serious argument like that before.

JangoFart
04-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Reward for who? The fortunate 6000, 5000, or less that manage to snag one of these exclusives at the original price? Or are collectors being "rewarded" later on with a higher scalper price from people who had no intentions but to resell in the first place?

If exclusives are about "rewarding" faithful collectors, then this is where the Proof of Purchase element gets introduced. Way back when, it was the method of choice for distributing items early to those that wanted them or for offering limited edition collectables. But making an item an "exclusive" to a specific outlet does nothing but make all those who didn't buy the item at "retail" angry.

I reckon you missed that "so to speak" part.

J

stillakid
04-17-2003, 07:29 PM
I reckon you missed that "so to speak" part.

J

No, I got it. :) I'm not sure how that changes the meaning so much, but I'd be happy to hear about it. :)

Turbowars
04-17-2003, 08:33 PM
Ok, this is how it should work. If you buy a 2 day pass for $30 then the figure should be sent to you with the pass. There's not way in hell I'm going to Mexico to get Fett. I also say that the card/box will be the same for both releases, just the Mex will have a lame # on it. Hasbro is to lazy to change the packaging. As for Vader, I bought him from the Fan Club for 14.99 on the slowest dial-up known to man, Webtv and my dumb A-- only bought 1! I guess I should just be happy with the one.:)

jpak001
04-17-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm sure I gonna really want to get this fett too, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna pay scalper prices. So I've resigned to the fact that I probably won't get one (seeing how difficult Vader was to get).

If it's anything like the Vader situation, most of us won't get it at club price. Didn't Vader only last for like 15 min or something (correct me if I'm wrong please) ?

JangoFart
04-17-2003, 09:50 PM
No, I got it. :) I'm not sure how that changes the meaning so much, but I'd be happy to hear about it. :)

OK, then how's this: Damn right the 5 or 6,000 folks who shell out the cash to goto Mexico for that convention should be rewarded more than some schmoe sitting at his computer complaining that he "don't have one."

But, that's just my thoughts. For what that's worth..... :)

J

stillakid
04-17-2003, 11:11 PM
OK, then how's this: Damn right the 5 or 6,000 folks who shell out the cash to goto Mexico for that convention should be rewarded more than some schmoe sitting at his computer complaining that he "don't have one."

But, that's just my thoughts. For what that's worth..... :)

J

For what it's worth, I agree completely. :) I guess I was talking more about the occasional Walmart special than a convention exclusive.

But for what that is worth, I like Turbo's idea of having the convention exclusive ship with a person's ticket(s). That way, even if some non-collector chooses to scalp his at a later date, he's at least limited to the one's he obtained fairly. If it's going to be a "reward" for showing up to the event (at least buying a ticket for the event anyway), then make it that and nothing else. No Fanclub, no third party sales...nothing. Otherwise, the reasons behind offering it in the first place are nothing short of disingenuous.

JangoFart
04-17-2003, 11:15 PM
I agree with that 100% as well. I ordered my tickets to the con in Mexico City today and agree that it would be a good idea to have the figure ship with the tickets.

HOWEVER, playing devil's advocate (which I love) the counter-argument is: if the figures were shipped with the tickets, TONS of people would buy tickets, get their figure and just not show up to the con. That would be bad for business and tourism and, therefore, is not a feasible alternative.

But, I like the idea!

J

stillakid
04-17-2003, 11:30 PM
I agree with that 100% as well. I ordered my tickets to the con in Mexico City today and agree that it would be a good idea to have the figure ship with the tickets.

HOWEVER, playing devil's advocate (which I love) the counter-argument is: if the figures were shipped with the tickets, TONS of people would buy tickets, get their figure and just not show up to the con. That would be bad for business and tourism and, therefore, is not a feasible alternative.

But, I like the idea!

J

Playing devil's advocate to your devil's advocate (would that make mine the "angel's advocate"?), do you really think that desperate scalpers would go to the trouble of paying for a ticket (or multiple tickets) just to get the "exclusive" items to hawk on Ebay? (How much are the convention tickets anyway?) So, they'd pay the price of the ticket, then assuming they are allowed only one action figure per ticket, they have to fork that over as well. If tickets are only like $25 bucks or so, then another $10 for the figure, I suppose that they're only out about $40 bucks (plus shipping) for the figure. Easy to recover in a scalping sale.

BUT, if the only way to actually obtain the figure was to "redeem" the ticket (or voucher or something) at the event, then that forces the scalper to also buy the plane ticket and get his fat arse off the couch and go. Now he's looking at having to recover at least another $300 bucks or more on top of the ticket and action figure. Again, possibly easily done provided there is no limit on how many tickets each person can purchase and redeem for convention exclusives.

So the only feasible way to make a fair system is to allow just one figure per person actually in attendance regardless of how many tickets they purchased. Obviously this requires some kind of accurate bookkeeping at the event and an oversite authority to watch for internal corruption.

I'm thinking that the best way to handle it to avoid all that would be to only hand these things out at the exits. Once you go for good, you get your exclusive to enjoy on the way to the airport. One per customer. Thanks for coming. :)

Kidhuman
04-17-2003, 11:31 PM
JI will plan on getting one when they are available on the Fan Club. Gotta have the Fett.

evenflow
04-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Any news when it will be available through the fan club

OC47150
04-18-2003, 08:56 AM
I realized a long time ago I'm not going to get every figure or every exclusive item released. In the last few years, I've become more selective on my purchases. (If it's on clearance, well, that's another story.)

If a silver Fett happens to come my way at a decent price, I'll pick it up, but I'm not going to obsess about getting one.

icatch9
04-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Today another website is reporting that the production #'s are going to be 6,000 for this figure. Don't think that's going to happen. Not evern Jorg Sacul was that low. Everyone has the right to be skiddish about this figure. After all the Toy Fair Vader was a bit of a SNAFU. Still, this is a whole differnt situation. It's supposed to be released at a Star Wars convention in Mexico. Not exactly the tourist capitol of the world. The majority of Star Wars collectors can't and won't be going. Hasbro isn't going to do this to collectors. The TF Vader was never ment to be a fan item. It was a Toy Fair item wich is not really for fans. It was a mistake that it ever got released to the fan club. They'd of been better off makeing more or not selling it at all.

So, they learned from thier mistake and made the silver R2 avalable to anyone with $20.00. Such will be the case with this Boba Fett. It will be avalable for most people. Relax and don't Boba Frett :D.

Dr Zoltar
04-18-2003, 12:50 PM
I hope you're right icatch9. I do remember reading that when the fan club got the Vader it was because they found some shipping boxes of them after the Toy Fair was over. So Hasbro took them and offered them to the fan club via the internet site.

I e-mailed the new fan club and Lisa the pres said that they are still negotiating with Hasbro and Lucasfilm to get them. My guess is that they are still figuring out how to get them to US fans. The 6000 run may be just what's being created now and shipped to Mexico. The fan club may still be negotiating how many to make to be released in the US.

OC47150
04-18-2003, 12:54 PM
If I remember correctly, the C2 Sacul figure's run was somewhere between 28,000 and 32,000. Unspecified amounts were set aside for each of the three days and once that number was gone, they gone!

aceguide
04-18-2003, 02:08 PM
UGH!

The more I read the more I'm irritated (see earlier post).

Recalling the Vader fiasco - I would never have had a problem with his "exclusivity" to the toy fair, had the fan club not ever offered them. I tried in vain for days to get an order in - to no avail. I doubt I would have ever obsessed over it had that not happened.

Like I said earlier, repack the thing and ship it out in volume. I don't even care if mine is on a card - I just want one!

TheDarthVader
04-18-2003, 02:52 PM
I have yet to comment on this so here goes. First of all, the TF Vader's distribution sucked. Everyone knows this to be true. I, personally, had to dish out the big $$$ for this figure. Why? Because it was one of the best figures I had seen in the new line. Why? Just because it cool and my favorite figure in my collection (1995-now). Next, they should have made more TF Vaders. (end of discussion.) Thirdly, with the silver r2d2 I deeply believe that Hasbro learned from the Vader. With this in mind, luckily and hopefully, Hasbro will not screw up again and release this Boba Fett in higher numbers. If not, we are gonna "sack" someone from hasbro...again. (and be really angry at Hasbro).

aceguide
04-18-2003, 05:17 PM
I hope you are right about Hasbro learning from thier mistake. They do not have a very good history on that front.

I do believe that the silver r2 gives us some hope. It was a very well run promotion and I have not heard many complain about not getting one. But if a silver Fett misses the masses then you will have a revolt. I promise...

Turbowars
04-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by kool-aid killer

I doubt my dad (who disapproves of my collecting)
For some reason this statment really makes me mad. Your dad is lucky to have a son that doesn't do drugs and crap like that. I think collecting move someone in a good direction. I had to say something sorry if I offended you killer. I'm sure your dad is a good guy. I know my dad wouldn't go to Mexico :)

dan maul
04-20-2003, 09:34 PM
HERE IN MEXICO CITY, WE KNOW THAT IN THE CONVENTION WE CAN BUY AN ADITIONAL TOY FIGURE, THE FIRST WE RECIVE UN THE PLACE OF THE CONVENTION AND THE SECOND BE IN SALE THE DAY OF THE CONVENTION.

Turbowars
04-21-2003, 10:12 PM
((((Here's what I saked)))) Hi, I'm from the US and would like to buy a pass for $30, my question is, does the Silver Boba Fett figure come with the pass,(mail) or do you have to pick the figure up at the convention? I have no way to get to mexico, so I hope it can be sent. Thanks so much for your time.

E-mail message
From: fanclub@spacecollectors.com (Star_Wars_Fan_Club_Mexico) Date: Mon, Apr 21, 2003

Dear Star Wars fan,
Regarding the Convention Figure,
You do need to be present to get the figure, We cannot ship the figure to you, we apologize for the inconvenience. We would welcome your attendance at what we know will be a great convention. Hasbro itself says other plans are in the works for the figure , so stay tuned for more details to be announced soon.
Regards,
Julio Moreno
Official Star Wars Fan Club Mexico
-----

skyward72
04-21-2003, 10:48 PM
I just can't believe Hasbro would limit this popular figure to a convention in Mexico. Hopefully the fan club comes through with a larger quantity then the Toy Fair Vader.

stillakid
04-22-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by skyward72
I just can't believe Hasbro would limit this popular figure to a convention in Mexico. Hopefully the fan club comes through with a larger quantity then the Toy Fair Vader.

What, are you new?

;)

dan maul
04-22-2003, 01:20 AM
EY, PAY MI CONVENTION PASS AND I SEND YOU A SILVER BOBA FEET LOL :P