PDA

View Full Version : Best Toy-Line

Darthvader7677
04-16-2003, 06:17 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to know what's your favorite star wars toy-line is so far POTF2, Episode 1, POTJ, or the Saga Line. Either in sets or just certain figures. Tell me what you think

Rogue II
04-16-2003, 06:35 PM
They all have their ups and downs.

POTF2
Pro: All Classic Trilogy, Large line, wasn't to hard to find new figuret(for the most part), Commtech Stormtrooper/Vader/R2.
Con: Scale, R5-D4, early steroid sculpts, and R5-D4.

Episode 1
Pro:...I saved a lot of money not buying many of these.
Con: I didn't want to collect these.

POTJ:
Pro: Great Sculpts, good variety, good mixture of main and background characters.
Con: Clean Biker Scout was hard to find.

Saga:
Pro: Nice Sculpts, lowest cost per figure, accessories, head variations for army builders, Ephant Mon.
Cons: Action Gimmicks, mostly ATOC characters

My favorite....POTJ

JediTricks
04-16-2003, 07:38 PM
While my nostalgia says POTF2, realistically POTJ was the series I thought had the best figures.

mark2d2
04-16-2003, 07:49 PM
POTJ.

Sure the line had a few duds, (that awful General Leia springs to mind) but as a whole it was pretty amazing.

A great mix of resculpts. . . (That POTJ Tusken sure was pretty dang cool. Finally! A decent Lando! Oh, Wow! A new Snaggletooth! An un-buff Sandtrooper!)

New versions of unreproduced vintage figs . . . (FX-7! Egads I still can't get over how cool this guy is! Hasbro sure did him justice.)

And -- even better -- a steady stream of never before produced totally beyond obscure OT figs. . . (R4-M9! The Duro! R2-Q5! Boshek!)

Yeah, definitely POTJ. All the way. Dang! That line nearly bankrupted me.

Jerjerrod
04-16-2003, 08:02 PM
POTJ all the way. It's like it was a dream, and we're now awaken.

QLD
04-16-2003, 08:04 PM
POTJ, hands down....because they had LANDO!!!

DarthChuckMc
04-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Lando In My Pants
POTJ, hands down....because they had LANDO!!!

in your pants?

POTJ for me too. I like SAGA, too, but POTJ is the tops in my book.

mark2d2
04-16-2003, 09:16 PM
Okay! Enough!

What exactly does Lando In My Pants mean anyway? It sounds, shall we say, decidedly UNheterosexual. Not that there's anything wrong with that. God, knows I'm guilty as charged . . . .

Darth Jax
04-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Saga collection 2. great figures without the action gimmicks that ruined collection 1.

Kidhuman
04-16-2003, 09:35 PM
I liked POTJ and the Saga the best. The gimmicks really don't bother me because I don't open them. POTJ had alot of nice sculpts. Saga because they didn't wait for a new line to put out older figures.

Darthvader7677
04-16-2003, 10:05 PM
I agree POTJ is very nice, saga is a cool series as well. But I think a very nice line is POTF2 Expanded Universe is a nice set of 9.

RussUAE
04-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Yet another POTJ vote here. I can't think of a single POTJ figure that was really bad, whereas every other line has numerous shocking figures.

But Saga collection 2 is building it's way up to being equally as good as far as sculpts and cool figures.

I don't think I'd go for Lando in my pants if I got to choose who was in there!

Deoxyribonucleic
04-17-2003, 12:09 AM
I love the POTJ line because Hasbro got the detail down right and they all look soooo good. I like the SAGA line because the price is RIGHT baby! :greedy: ;)

plasticfetish
04-17-2003, 12:11 AM
#1 - Vintage line (first 21)
#2 - POTJ
#3 - Episode I
... and on from there ...

Originally posted by mark2d2
Okay! Enough! What exactly does Lando In My Pants mean anyway?
You haven't heard? "Lando In My Pants" is/was the working title for what would have been episode 7.

mark2d2
04-17-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish

You haven't heard? "Lando In My Pants" is/was the working title for what would have been episode 7. [/B]

Oh, I get it . . . Who was being quoted then? Luke?

Uh, oh. Now I've done it. Star Wars blasphemy hall of shame here I come. . .

QLD
04-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Hell, even I don't know what my username means.

Amy
04-17-2003, 02:08 AM
POTF2 I reckon:)

seth_quinn
04-17-2003, 03:32 AM
each line definitely has its merits, but for me it's
POTJ - hands down.

a few weeks back I was reorganizing my carded figures that I haven't had a chance to open yet and had all the potj figures laid out on the kitchen table. I was able to look at each one and say to myself, "this is a great figure because..." will I be able to say that about a future line? I sure hope so. imo - the best packaging was used the four EII preview figures, the eye catching bright green of the potj line with the super stacking friendly large bubble from the saga line.

anyone have an email address for someone that works at hasbro? they should be sent the url to this thread.

rherk
04-17-2003, 07:38 AM
POTJ all the way!

It returned my interest in Star Wars figures. Most all the figures were well sculpted, nuetral poses and the appropriate accesories. I hope that attention to detail returns soon.

aceguide
04-17-2003, 08:52 AM
POTJ

Darkross
04-17-2003, 10:43 AM
POTF2 is still my favorite line...mainly because of the nostalgia of finding tons of new figures every other month it seemed...I loved hunting for Stormtroopers...even if they were a little buff! POTJ is an honorable mention with the Clean Scout Trooper...which I now have 6 of them! Just 6 or 12 more to go...Yikes!

Dark Marble
04-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Vintage for my childhood. POTF2 for the nostalgia, it all started here for me. Episode I, well that is just a sorry memory. POTJ was the best for the sculpts. I hunted these figures more than any other. Now saga is here and so far I am not that impressed. Too many gimmicks. There are some pearls in saga and I still pick some up here and there. Don't know what Clone Wars is going to do. But I am guessing not much... :( Over all...POTF2 and POTJ. Equal in my mind.

JediTricks
04-18-2003, 03:48 PM
I think it's quite telling that so many folks like the POTJ line most when half of the POTJ line was designed by Galoob division before it was closed down. Maybe Hasbro needs to tone down the meddling. ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
04-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I think it's quite telling that so many folks like the POTJ line most when half of the POTJ line was designed by Galoob division before it was closed down. Maybe Hasbro needs to tone down the meddling. ;)

What's this you speak of??? Could you please elaborate? I've never heard this before and am now very curious about this statement! For serious here! :)

JediTricks
04-18-2003, 04:01 PM
A few weeks before Hasbro cancelled the Micro Machines line, I had interviews with some of the head people at Hasbro's west coast operation - which was Lewis Galoob Toys before Hasbro bought 'em - in which I was told in no uncertain terms that Galoob division were designing half of the Star Wars figures being developed and produced at that time (basically, the bulk of the POTJ line). After that, when POTJ was pretty much being put to bed, Hasbro closed the West Coast and Cincinatti divisions (Galoob and Kenner, respectively) and started working on the current Saga line.

aceguide
04-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Interesting bit of history. It's a shame that Hasbro couldn't see the popularity of the POTJ line and continue along that track.

Jaff
04-18-2003, 06:21 PM
POTJ was the greatest quality line made
2nd place goes to POTF2, especially the slide releases of 1998.

The worst shameful line made was the super pose, action featured SAGA line. Throw rocks at me if you will, but it's quality is beneath every line made. If you make Diaromas this line is for you, if you don't you have to pick and choose figs.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
A few weeks before Hasbro cancelled the Micro Machines line, I had interviews with some of the head people at Hasbro's west coast operation - which was Lewis Galoob Toys before Hasbro bought 'em - in which I was told in no uncertain terms that Galoob division were designing half of the Star Wars figures being developed and produced at that time (basically, the bulk of the POTJ line). After that, when POTJ was pretty much being put to bed, Hasbro closed the West Coast and Cincinatti divisions (Galoob and Kenner, respectively) and started working on the current Saga line.

Thanks JT. Wow, I had no idea that Galoob was doing that. It makes sense though as you look at the great detailed craftsmanship they put into the Micromachines line, and compare them to the sculpts in the POTJ line. . . incredible! It's a shame Hasbro got rid of the best in the west!

Kidhuman
04-18-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
It's a shame Hasbro got rid of the best in the west!

Best in the East too! Those were some incredibly detailed figures. The closest the saga line comes is Luminari. That IMO is the best sculpted fig in the saga line. I havent seen the new wave in hand yet so I am only speaking of what I know.

Dark Marble
04-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Ephant is not a bad bit of figure either. But with a figure that big I would have been disappointed if there wasn't a bit more attention to detail.

halcon orlus
04-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Wow. Galoob rocked.

My vote goes to POTJ, of course. :) Great line.

JediTricks
04-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
Thanks JT. Wow, I had no idea that Galoob was doing that. It makes sense though as you look at the great detailed craftsmanship they put into the Micromachines line, and compare them to the sculpts in the POTJ line. . . incredible! It's a shame Hasbro got rid of the best in the west! Sure thing, and I totally agree with your sentiment. I think Hasbro closing up the Galoob division was an epic mistake.