PDA

View Full Version : Disenchantment and Boredom w/ SW and why this is the best site.....

Fulit
04-17-2003, 09:35 AM
I haven't been posting much lately, because I am in a huge slump w/ SW, no new figures have made it out my way yet, and I'm going through one of those "I'm sick of SW" phases that always come around.
So consequently, anything I post on SSG for a while will not be SW-related. I do tend to miss those religious and political discussion, minus the furor they create. True, I could go join another forum and discuss these things, but it just doesn't work. Why?
When you join a new forum, it takes you forever to get to know people, and if its a large forum you are nothing but a faceless soul in a crowd. You may post something or reply to someone and it is lost in the surge of hundreds of other posts.
Here at SSG, it is more like a community, people respond to you, and respond to your responses. It's the oddest thing, this site has brought together so many people from all over the world, who talk about so many other things we have in common, but the strong root that its all based on is SW. I think that common link is whats missing from all these other forums where people talk about whatever.
In August, I will have been visiting this site and forums for 5 years, 2 as the same username. Everytime I go out to try and find another forum to talk to interesting people on, I fail, and come crawling back here. We may not be able to talk about some things anymore, but theres something about this place that makes you feel like people are listening. I think, years after 2005, after the Hasbro toy line has died out, after every possible SW conversation has been exhausted, this place should change its name to Sir Steves Guide to Talking to Interesting People, or something. I know the SW movies and toys will be over someday, but I can never picture not wanting to come on these boards and talk to all you crazy people.

And I know its been bandied about before, but wouldn't it be great if we could ever stage a SSG convention, and all meet? Everyone, good guys, troublemakers, whinypants, all in the same room. Perfect chaos.

Well, anyway, I'm stepping off my feelgood soapbox now. Long live SSG!

stillakid
04-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
And I know its been bandied about before, but wouldn't it be great if we could ever stage a SSG convention, and all meet? Everyone, good guys, troublemakers, whinypants, all in the same room. Perfect chaos.

That's called "Thanksgiving." ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
04-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Fulit, I did the same thing. I couldn't afford for awhile to get any of the new figures and couldn't bare to post for about 4 months and then I realized, man I really, really miss this place and all the great people who are here everyday! Since I came back, I've been posting like mad and having such a great time, and I still can't really afford to get all the figures I want but I realized, it doesn't really matter, as so many of the threads here aren't always necessarily about new figs, but more, just some general having fun and laughing about life with some great people I've gotten to know over the past 2 years. I'm not going anywhere now but here and this IS the only forums I feel that can be called a forums and for all those who don't know about it, well they are missing out!

I second your motion of "Long Live SSG" :D

Old Fossil
04-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Glad you're here, Fulit!

Only other Forum I ever joined was the one at SSG's "sister" site, lordoftheringsguide. It was kind of cool for a while, but it didn't have the same feel as SSG; something was missing, or some people.

I am at best a hit-and-miss poster, and I seldom PM anyone; I try to say things that I wouldn't mind anybody here knowing about. But I've come to consider most everyone at SSG a friend, and there is no regular here whom I would not stop to help on the roadside, if I knew who they were. Except turbowars.*

It is a wonderful, peculiar, comforting thing we have here, is it not?

*LOL just kidding!!!

Kidhuman
04-17-2003, 10:10 PM
DUde I feel the same. There are no new figs my way(which I am happy about since I am short on cash). I have been posting alot in other sections though. It actually gave me the chance to get to know the other people outside of SW conversations. I like hearing and posting about the other things in life and just having fun. I have not lost interest in collecting. I would be livid if I had cash and nothing to spend it on though. A blessing in disguise maybe.:D :crazed:

Fulit
04-18-2003, 10:18 AM
I hate this slump between movies. It won't be until this time next year, or late next year that we start to get some good spoliers. I shudder to think how boring it will be after E3, when what we have to look to is whatever GL's feeble old mind can crap out.

JediTricks
04-18-2003, 02:56 PM
I know how you feel Fulit, especially with the feeling honked at not finding new figs (since mid-Dec for me :(). These days, the only other forums I'm a part of are at figures.com and they have nowhere near the camaraderie these forums have, both on- and off-topic.

I can't imagine what we'll do here after Ep 3 comes and goes, but hopefully we'll still have fun talking about all of it.

A while back, right before the UBB boards committed suicide, a few of the forumites actually did have a convention at one of their houses - it looked like a really fun time. I know ever since then, Steve has thought about maybe doing something like that with the current forumites.

stillakid
04-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I know how you feel Fulit, especially with the feeling honked at not finding new figs (since mid-Dec for me :(). These days, the only other forums I'm a part of are at figures.com and they have nowhere near the camaraderie these forums have, both on- and off-topic.

I can't imagine what we'll do here after Ep 3 comes and goes, but hopefully we'll still have fun talking about all of it.

A while back, right before the UBB boards committed suicide, a few of the forumites actually did have a convention at one of their houses - it looked like a really fun time. I know ever since then, Steve has thought about maybe doing something like that with the current forumites.

If I'm on someone's "ignore list," would they be able to see me at the party? :D

Vortex
04-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Time to wax poetically...

Dark Times have we entered into.
Dust looms on decaying, dormant heroes,
Locked in their clear mausoleum, staked by pegs onto walls.
Dreary times are yet ahead.
Disillusioned have we become with long huts.
Looking & seeking new items, which seem to exist as legend & lore.
Destined are we to meander aimlessly in isles of toys.
Doomed to yearn and covet images we’ve only seen on-line,
Last seen in toy magazines, or dreams.
Dare we venture into new horizons,
Discovering new joys and paying homage to what could have been?
Leave Star Wars behind in this bleak time.
Do what you must,
Delve into other realms.
Lust for better days, and envy what others have found.
Darkness is fast approaching, and soon the end will arrive.
Dreams are the only thing we have left, when the final credits roll.

Yea I'm in the same boat. I stopped hunting since a couple of stores around me have totally removed their star wars pegs and cleared the shelves for G.I. Joes and other items of no interest.

I have the 3 latest Star Wars novels and I haven't even cracked the covers on them yet, were before I'd stay up into the wee morning hours to read to see what happens next to our great heroes, but not anymore.

I'm running out of space for items and getting a little hoe-hum about the reissued things. Doesn't seem they are trying overly hard to keep my interest anymore. The bright light that was star wars is fading with me too.

I like coming to the boards here, but even now they are lacking in topics and I just look at the new posts and threads and call it day if nothing grabs my attention.

With this being a little past the half way point, I would have expected a huge push of star wars toys, items, games, junk etc. since the movies are winding down and this ride will soon come to a halt. I expected a huge push to keep the interest level up, more releast dates, more intersting products, but its a fizzle, a trickle of stuff once in a while. I've had to buy my stuff from secondary sellers...who are good friends, but still, its not as fun as it use to be.

My Star Wars drug is wearing off too...I only hope that EIII can kick start it again.

Fulit
04-20-2003, 12:38 PM
Well, I just ordered some relatively cheap figures from Yestertoys, so maybe my slump will improve. Nothing makes figures appear in stores faster than ordering online. Why can't I ever find an Aayla Secura tho? My wife really wants her.

I can't wait anymore for E3. That 2 years of lacking info between movies is a killer.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2003, 04:27 PM
I have not found any figs for about 2 months, and those ones were old Deluxe figures (Nexu and Threepio/Battle Droid). I have found that I am not as bummed out as I thought I'd be, mainly because work has been so involved. But I've been reading more (non-SW, too), and that's been a good release.

Question for tjovonovich; any particular reason that each of your poem's lines began with either 'D' or 'L'? Specifically in a 'DDL' pattern (except the last is 'DD' )?

BTW, how many of the great threads here at SSG are SW-related?

2-1B
04-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Fulit, my fondest memories of AOTC spoilers are from Fall 2000. :) I'm not waiting for next year; in a short 5 or 6 months, spoilers should be here ! :crazed:

Vortex
04-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

Question for tjovonovich; any particular reason that each of your poem's lines began with either 'D' or 'L'? Specifically in a 'DDL' pattern (except the last is 'DD' )?

BTW, how many of the great threads here at SSG are SW-related?

No reason. Just a style, nothing more nothing less, but if you read into for something, that you're choice...and the DD...yea that would be nice.

Great non related threads...it depends. Sometimes there are good ones, other time, they are lacking. I can only handle so many figure reviews, DVD info, bellyaching about wal-mart and so forth. To me, the boards get dull, and dreary...there's that dd bit again...

JediTricks
04-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
If I'm on someone's "ignore list," would they be able to see me at the party? :D No, it'd be like the informant at a mafia don's trial, you'd have a big blue dot over your face. :D

tjovonovich, you should really write greeting cards for Hallmark... or cheers for Hasbro. ;)

Around here, the SW pegs have been pulled for the Inedible Hulk and Power Rangers toys, but it's pretty much the same feeling.

Vortex
04-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks

tjovonovich, you should really write greeting cards for Hallmark... or cheers for Hasbro. ;)

Around here, the SW pegs have been pulled for the Inedible Hulk and Power Rangers toys, but it's pretty much the same feeling.

I tried that. Hallmark said I was too upbeat for their sympathy and I'm sorry cards. They wanted something darker...

Oh well their loss.

HARDY
04-24-2003, 06:38 AM
hey guys and gals what are we gonna talk about after ep 3??????????? do u think anyone will ever produce episodes 7 , 8 and 9???????

Vortex
04-24-2003, 08:38 AM
Odds are the same thing now.

How crappy certain figure are.
How badly they need to make some figure.
How crappy/great the movies were.
And general junk...

As for 7, 8, 9...don't hold your breath.

stillakid
04-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by HARDY
hey guys and gals what are we gonna talk about after ep 3??????????? do u think anyone will ever produce episodes 7 , 8 and 9???????

This whole action figure culture will move over to the Prop Replica Boards after Hasbro chucks the whole thing about 8 to 14 months after Episode III leaves theaters. Customizers will rise to become the alchemists of the new millenia as collectors everywhere clamor to finish off their Cantina and Palace dioramas. Where there was order, there will be chaos. The age of $5 figures and disposable cardbacks will be a distant memory. Made-to-order will be the rule.

:crazed:

Rogue II
04-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Well, there will be the release of the Classic Trilogy DVDs in 2006. I'm sure we can find lots of things to complain about when those hit the shelves.

Did someone say SSG family picinic?:crazed:

Fulit
04-24-2003, 11:18 AM
They need to release something, a cartoon or something, detailing the events between E3 and E4. Thats a pretty important 20 years or so to ignore there.

Patient Zero
04-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Well, I suppose the question is will Lucus give someone else the rights to do something with SW. It is such a money maker that most would jump at the chance.

Eternal Padawan
04-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Heck, I haven't made mention of Star Wars at this place for MONTHS.

I come for the camraderie formed from two years of posting. :) I talk toys (Transformers, Marvels, MOTU, Muppets), comics (Batman, G.I Joe) and movies (anything that hits theatres). I also delve deeply into the socio-political climes of a certain Forum. But Star Wars? Naaaah. No new toys combined with a certain dictator refusing to release a certain original Trilogy on DVD have left SW sour in my mouth. And yet, SSG is still my first stopping point on the information superhighway.

You guys ROCK! :D

JediTricks
04-24-2003, 08:09 PM
WOOO!!!

InsaneJediGirl
04-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Did someone say SSG family picinic?:crazed:

Is it legal to get that many crazy people together at once?Might need a permit or two;)

SSG is a cool place to hang out,even if it isnt about Star Wars.Plan to gripe for a number of years to come.What else would I do with my Saturday nights?:D ;)

mabudonicus
04-27-2003, 03:23 AM
Hey, me, JJreason and Seth_quinn met up recently in a trial run of the SSG picnic concept.... we have a pic but I still have to get it developed......
This site rules, I would LOVE to meet the whole crew somewheres, at some time...... as a matter of fact, if anyone from this area (CANADA, near the Niagara Falls border) is into it, we can and SHOULD get together at our place (JEDIELF is my partner, she signed up here but never has time to post it seems:)) sometime soon..... seth_quinn was talking backyard party, but I can't speak for him.....
Any takers??? Really, I kniw many would be excluded by geography, but what about some kind of SSG get-together where we all form geographic groups at the same time??? It could be totally cool..... after all, I came here for SW and leave with more every time!!!!
Anyone?

Deoxyribonucleic
04-27-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
after all, I came here for SW and leave with more every time!!!!
Anyone?

Ain't that the truth Ruth err Mabudon ;)

Heck, I would absolutely LOVE to get together with many many SSG folks, so much so that I would even consider flying to different places to meet my friends. I mean, you get two things out of it. One, you get to meet great friends and two, you get to travel and see new places. Unless of course you've been to those places before.

I keep up the hope that it'll happen one day :)

Congrats on your SW SSG get-to-gether. Sounds like you guys had a blast, how fun!!!:happy:

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-27-2003, 12:47 PM
it would be cool but difficult

DarthBrandon
04-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
Hey, me, JJreason and Seth_quinn met up recently in a trial run of the SSG picnic concept.... we have a pic but I still have to get it developed......
This site rules, I would LOVE to meet the whole crew somewheres, at some time...... as a matter of fact, if anyone from this area (CANADA, near the Niagara Falls border) is into it, we can and SHOULD get together at our place (JEDIELF is my partner, she signed up here but never has time to post it seems:)) sometime soon..... seth_quinn was talking backyard party, but I can't speak for him.....
Any takers??? Really, I kniw many would be excluded by geography, but what about some kind of SSG get-together where we all form geographic groups at the same time??? It could be totally cool..... after all, I came here for SW and leave with more every time!!!!
Anyone?

Hey Mabudon, it's too bad I don't live in Ontario anymore, I think the picnic would have been fun, if I was invited and all. I used to live in North York Ontario for like six years, I also had a girlfriend and a friend that lived in St. Catherines Ont. So needless to say we spent a lot of time over at the Buffalo NY / Niagara Falls Border area, whether it was shopping or just going to the pleasure dome we had some good times down that way. I kind of miss all the hustle and bustle sometimes, but where I'm at now is for the best. If I get some time in the future, I might make a trip down that way. I'll look you up if I do via P.M. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
04-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Don't forget to hit California on your way there Brandon, it's just a hop, skip and a jump away! ;) :D teehee LOL

Kidhuman
04-27-2003, 01:01 PM
A SSG picnic? Sounds like a mess that bounty couldn't clean up. I woyuld really enjoy meeting some people on the board. That would be an awesome idea if it were made possible.

DarthBrandon
04-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
Don't forget to hit California on your way there Brandon, it's just a hop, skip and a jump away! ;) :D teehee LOL

It's quite a hop, skip and a jump away.LOL I would love to take the ride to Cali, but I think work/family and chores will rule over that one.:D I do hope one day before this (SSG) site gets shut down that we do have some sort of convention that can accomodate all locations; like somewhere in the middle of the United States. This way there won't be as much long distance traveling involved, Sirsteve could take a poll on the location, then set it all up at some convention center. All who want to go could pay whatever the fee was to rent the center plus what it would cost them. :D
I love it when a plan comes together.LOL:D

QLD
04-27-2003, 02:32 PM
I suppose maybe Celebration III might be a good idea for a get together as well. Are they doing it in Indiana again?

mabudonicus
04-29-2003, 02:31 AM
Could be a lot of fun for sure... We could always try to set up a couple "locations", and just get whoever together sort of regionally... I would like to meet everyone I "know" here someday, as there really is a lot of wit and fun and, for the most part, genuine good feelings between so many types here..
Brandon, if you're ever headed down here, LMK for sure, we can go to the Pen centre and see where the SW toys would have been:)
And for sure, to ANYONE coming to this area (near Niagara Falls, Canada), if you want the "heads up" on this area, PM me and I'd be glad to help, and if you wanna get together and argue about EPIII or whatever, so much the better...
You Guys (and Ladies!!) ROCK!!!!!!

TeeEye7
05-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Could be a lot of fun for sure... We could always try to set up a couple "locations", and just get whoever together sort of regionally... I would like to meet everyone I "know" here someday, as there really is a lot of wit and fun and, for the most part, genuine good feelings between so many types here..
Brandon, if you're ever headed down here, LMK for sure, we can go to the Pen centre and see where the SW toys would have been:)
And for sure, to ANYONE coming to this area (near Niagara Falls, Canada), if you want the "heads up" on this area, PM me and I'd be glad to help, and if you wanna get together and argue about EPIII or whatever, so much the better...
You Guys (and Ladies!!) ROCK!!!!!!

And the man kept his word! :thumbsup:

Mabucon: the ultimate convention. And the only con endorsed by huskies.