PDA

View Full Version : The galaxies most brilliant minds...

notafinga
04-17-2003, 11:26 PM
I was thinking this just today. Not to come off pretentious, 'cuz I may be an exception to the rule, but it seems to me that Star Wars fans are of above average intelligence and possess a generally refined sense of humor.

Take the folks on this board, for instance. We may be a bit overly obsessed with Lucas's vision and a tad geeky, but there are some derned smart people posting on 'dese here threads.

Not only that, but Star Wars fans I know personally are generally smarter than the average bear.

Funny ... and somewhat curious considering the movies aren't really intellectual. Perhaps a more developed imagination is the key.

I must ponder this further... :zzz:

Prince Xizor
04-17-2003, 11:31 PM
I think it is a wide range... I have met some really smart Star Wars fans, and I know some really really really stupid ones.

James Boba Fettfield
04-17-2003, 11:37 PM
I have yet to find any correlation between intelligence and the liking of Star Wars.

notafinga
04-17-2003, 11:40 PM
:D

aaaah... perhaps i have just been blessed withn a narrow scope of exposure which happened to include a bunch'a' braniacs..

bobafrett
04-18-2003, 12:31 AM
I'm at the lower end of the intellectual scale, but still enjoy posting here none the less. I think it has something to do with the brain surgery I had at the age of 8.

Jargo
04-18-2003, 06:44 AM
Me fink dis a gudd fing to likin' it got monstas and guns and stuff. Me likin da girlies wot ave got no clothes on in da monsta places and da bars. Me not likin all da talkin stuff an that. One day me gonna have a car dat flies. gonna go to da moon an shoot fings. When me finish doin dis mesna test dat is.... my brain hurt. :(

sith_killer_99
04-18-2003, 06:49 AM
What was that you were saying about a refined sense of humor?:D :crazed:

Jargo
04-18-2003, 07:05 AM
ouch.

sith_killer_99
04-18-2003, 07:10 AM
hehehe....:p

JK

Patient Zero
04-18-2003, 10:13 AM
HUMOR! I gotts your humor right here buddy!

Ahhhhh...forgots what mesa gunna say. Bye.

Fulit
04-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Well, I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent, thinking person, but I consider this to be a combination of genetics and upbringing. I also have a very ironic and sarcastic sense of humor, and when I tell people I'm into SW, they try to mess w/ me by making fun of it and are amazed when I too, poke fun at my favorite hobby, sometimes better than they, since I know more about it to make fun of.

There can be no generalized statement that "all SW fans are smart" obviously they are not, but on a whole I would say that SW possibly attracts, and is attractive to, thinking people. How you explain the rest of populace I have no idea.

Dialogus
04-18-2003, 01:56 PM
...smarter than the average bear??

El Chuxter won't be happy with this one notafinga:D !!!

2-1B
04-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Jargo, I ain't never been much fer fancy book learnin' neither.

JediTricks
04-18-2003, 04:03 PM
I think to be a Sci-Fi fan in general, no matter which end of the spectrum between imagination and pure science (with SW being on the "imagination" side and 2001 being on the opposite end perhaps), I think the key factor in enjoying them is the capacity for imagination which is a strong building block to intelligence. (Sure, there is an appreciation for the action and adventure in these films as well, but that's a different avenue of discussion I think - although I think good adventure spawns from imagination as well.)

Or, as I like to say:
"Imagination is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine"

:D

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by notafinga
I was thinking this just today. Not to come off pretentious, 'cuz I may be an exception to the rule, but it seems to me that Star Wars fans are of above average intelligence and possess a generally refined sense of humor.

Not only that, but Star Wars fans I know personally are generally smarter than the average bear.

Funny ... and somewhat curious considering the movies aren't really intellectual. Perhaps a more developed imagination is the key.

Of course we're smarter and more funnier (yes... ). It's a Star Wars themed website, on the Internet, even. We set the rules! Well, except for not being able to cuss. Whatever. A true original SW fan (i.e. was alive and aware in 1977 or so) grew up without a lot of the things younger sci-fi fans take for granted (oh boy; here goes Grampa Pants Bel-Cam again... ). You didn't expect the high quality because it was just being introduced. So you used your imagination to create more, instead of doing it yourself on a PC or website. Things were funnier back then, too. OK, that's a generalization.

The 'Xir
04-18-2003, 11:39 PM
What I always get a kick out of is when I hear things like, college classes at Harvard and UCLA being about, or totally devoted to these movies and their impact on society!
Anyone hear who has gone to these schools that know if these classes actually exist? And where the heck were they when I was going to school!!! The only other movie I've heard of with College classes exclusively devoted to that certain movie is 'Citizen Cane'.
I doubt we are smarter on a whole, but man whoever thought of this college class Idea is a freakin' genius!!! I mean how do you actually submit this Idea to the schools' board for approval? Pure Genius!

notafinga
04-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Dialogus
...smarter than the average bear??

El Chuxter won't be happy with this one notafinga:D !!!

El Chuxter no longer concerns me, Dialogus. I want answers to my questions, not hollow warnings.:crazed: :D

seriously...why?:confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-19-2003, 10:22 PM
Quoted by notafinga -
seriously...why? :confused:
SAdly, El Chuxter was recently caught by bears and brainwashed to change his entire life by making bear allusions and comments. Check his current avatar and sig lines for proof.

Grr.