PDA

View Full Version : Animated-Style Figures...?

Lman316
04-17-2003, 11:32 PM
Quoted in the current issue of Toyfare from Hasbro's own Andy Espenshade: "What we do best is highly detailed, realistically styled figures. If this takes off, and people love the animation as much as we think they're going to, then it could translate into [animated-style figures] someday."

What does everyone think of that one, huh? Last I knew, people weren't really too crazy they decided to go with the Samurai Jack/Dexter's Lab animation style in the first place. Now they'll make figures based on that?
It just doesn't seem like it's going to fly.

End...:D

James Boba Fettfield
04-17-2003, 11:36 PM
I've been thinking having figures based off the animation would be a good idea. I'm not a diorama/display guy, so I don't have to worry about how they'll look displayed next to the other toys. I like mine in the package, and I think it would be nice to mix the lines up a bit by having some figures that look like the animated creations.

Jargo
04-18-2003, 06:02 AM
I think if they made them in the style of Urban Vinyl then it might work but this cartoon style is vile.

For those not familiar with urban vinyl it's a particular style of artwork coming out of the Hong Kong scene. Really cool and hip daddio. Very clean lines, good use of color and amazing sculpts. Forbidden planet have a small section on their website for these things which are becoming the collectibles to collect. I'm really diggin the stuff and i'd love to see some star wars characters done in that style but not in this scratchy scrappy weird cartoon style. i just hate it so much I doubt i'll ever be able to watch even just one frame. So I'll never buy any figures based off it.

evenflow
04-18-2003, 07:33 AM
I think i may actually be more into this is it wasthe animation style. I don't know, I am just so against it nothing could kill it more for me.

Kidhuman
04-18-2003, 09:46 AM
I don't agree with having them in animation style. The figures we saw in the pictures where cool. Just let them be the way they were and I will be happy. I don't like the way the Dragonball figures look woth the animation style. I think they will look too childish. The clone wars is more for the collectors and old time SW fans than the kids. Leave them in the fashion we have come to love and grown up with.

Dr Zoltar
04-18-2003, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't buy them if they did. I still debating whether I want to pick up the new clone war action figures.

aceguide
04-18-2003, 04:04 PM
I would have to say that I would prefer them NOT make a classic/3 3/4 figure in any animation or other style. Maybe a special series of vinyl or other non-traditional format would be a nice novelty. But I would definitely be opposed to seeing the regular figures displaced.

Dark Marble
04-18-2003, 05:02 PM
I like to display my figures, and there is a stong continuity in my collection. So to change the look would be horrible. So I wouldn't pick it up, but if the vehicles are the same...hmmm. :evil:

LTBasker
04-18-2003, 05:25 PM
If they did this they'd probably make them in ways that would be useful for movies versions but since they'll be cartoons they won't fit in movie scenes. I'd rather them not, Carkoon Boba Fett looked cartoonish enough, I'd hate to imagine how bright the colors would turn out if they actually were trying to make them cartoony.

plasticfetish
04-18-2003, 08:14 PM
"What we do best is highly detailed, realistically styled figures."
Yes, I have those 2 figures ... but what about the rest? (kidding.)

"If this takes off, and people love the animation as much as we think they're going to, then it could translate into [animated-style figures] someday."
You know ... I say go for it. How are we going to complain because they're thinking about trying something new? I've read a lot of posts lately about people being bored with the hobby or disinterested in what's being offered ... perhaps a new direction is just what's needed to generate a little enthusiasm. It's impossible to say if it'll be good or bad without seeing a sketch or a prototype, so I'll hold my opinion for that day. I'll also wait to see who does or does not change their mind once the cartoon finally starts airing. I'm prepared to love or hate the thing, based on the fact that I love Samurai Jack but could care less about Dexter's ... gonna have to wait and see. I am happy that we've at least something to look forward to. Beats a sharp stick in the eye any day.

Jargo
04-18-2003, 08:41 PM
I'd take a sharp stick before watching the cartoon anyday. :)

I couldn't find any pics of the more human characters in the Urban vinyl style because the site is playing silly buggars and i got cheesed off going back and forth. but did manage to snaffle these pics of the Urban animals which show the pertinent style. It's the clean lines and smoothness I like. You could almost say the playskool figures were going in this direction but were just made cuter. The Urban vinyl adult stuff has more of an edge to it. Would suit the age group of most collectors more than a style that went out of vogue about fourty years ago like this Gendi guy keeps scrawling. Honest to god every time i see a sketch from the cartoon i just think of the Jettsons and wanna puke. Let's have something flaming contemporary and just ditch this bull**** "harkens back to a bygone age" crapola. Fine if George and his cronies wanna indulge in nostalgia let them watch old flash Gordon serials or the Jettsons or whatever. i weant to see contemporary styled cartoons and new imagery. I'd like a sub line of toys to echo that. Geez there's enough old people cluttering up the planet and boring us all to tears with tales of days of yore without having more crammed down your throat with 'retro' styled cartoons and toys.

So don't tell me i'll be watching this or buying toys in the same scritchy scratchy ugly cartoon style because I WILL NOT BE BUYING INTO ANY OF IT.

The current crop of Clone wars toys are fine because they fit with everything else in a sensible way minus one or two wedgied in EU nonsens items. I'll be buying the regular stuff. But ignoring the other. I only hope that more people will discourage Hasbro from going the scritchy scratchy style route and do something truly innovative instead.

ADENDUM: the Urban animal figures are made by Palisades and are in the style of Urban vinyl. Mezco also produce Urban vinyl stuf which is tippity toippermost in largeness. Their RUN DMC figures are fantastic.

JEDIpartner
04-21-2003, 08:58 AM
I like the animation style, but would hate it if they made figures based on this style.

Prince Xizor
04-21-2003, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't mind a couple of the main characters based on the cartoon, if it was on a totally differant cardback, and maybe exclusive to one store. That way it would not interfere with the rest of the line and we wouldn't have to worry about them pegwarming everywhere if they didn't catch on.

Mattel just recently released the Justice League animation-styled figures, and while there is a lack of articulation, I do dig them. So I am up for some cartoon figures.

Lman316
04-21-2003, 02:10 PM
We've all heard this basic argument before. It has everything to do with EU and how it will detract from the regular line.
I'm pretty sure that the majority has stated they would rather have the movie characters done first before any new EU stuff is done. And although the animated-style figures would be of main movie characters, they still wouldn't fit with anything else that's been made. I know I wouldn't be buying them. But I haven't been buying a lot of other Hasbro stuff, so...

End...

Tonysmo
04-22-2003, 01:10 AM
I cant believe all the posts against this without even seeing the product.

Its a "tide me over until the movie" anyhow... and if they look cool, will all buy into it. WHY? cause were slaves to Star Wars and Hasbro - and pretty much anything with a Star Wars logo slapped onto it.. Collectibles looming overhead, just waiting to be bought, and placed upon that sacred mantle with all the other figs.. You can't win... All the moaning is insignificant to the power of the Hasbro...

RussUAE
04-22-2003, 02:31 AM
Am gonna watch the cartoon, but having seen the pics of the characters for it, I honestly don't think I'd buy any figures based on the cartoons for my collection. It would just look out of place.

I already collect mroe than enough stuff, no need to start on completely new styles and lines.

InsaneJediGirl
04-22-2003, 02:57 PM
I think they are fine now,but wouldnt like anything in the animation style.Just think back to the EU figures released.They would have been MUCH better if they didnt look so cartoon-y.So,no,I wouldn't buy any animation style figures.

Paul-Kenobi
04-27-2003, 07:00 PM
I would Love to see some Japaness anime type Star Wars Action figures Super Artulaited Super Detail just with that anime look i would suport it 100%

I would allso love to see a Japaness anime of star wars not the Manga but a serise.