PDA

View Full Version : Wheeljack Lives! ( The Transformers Comic Thread)

Eternal Padawan
04-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Because Roojay was upset with us all cluttering up the Jim Lee/Batman thread with talks of Transformers and G.I Joe...

Anyway. I never picked up the new Dreamwave TF limited series last year, but I saw the new #1. Vol II on the rack and splurged and bought it and took it home and read it and (there are no page numbers darnit) on the page where Prowl is convincing Optimus to send him out on recon, in the fifth panel ( to the left of the circular panel) you can clearly see Gears, Mirage, Bumblebee, and WHEELJACK. I was under the assumption he had bitten the big one in last years limited series.

By the way. I liked how all the triple changers are working for Shockwave, including Broadside and the dune buggy Autobot (forgot his name).

I also picked up The War Within #1 and 2. I can't find 3 and 4 but they also have 5 and 6 and I'll probably snag those when I go in next week to get my monthly dose of Bat. Is this a limited series, too?

And since I'm a johhny come lately in the TF dept. Can anyone tell me when this is supposed to take place in terms of the Marvel Comics continuity? I have all 80 issues from series 1, as well as the 12 (?) from Generation2, but I don't really remember what happened towards the end there. Does this all take place after that? or did they rearrange continuity again? I need to pick up the GN of the first Dreamwave series.

And finally. G.I Joe/ Transformers crossover? Hmmmmmmm...I hope this doesn't mean Goldbug again. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
04-18-2003, 06:22 PM
I've not picked up the new #1. War Within was excellent until the end--it sorta fizzled out. Very disappointing, since The Great and Mighty God of All Things Transformers, Simon Furman, was writing. I understand the new series has another writer replacing that Saracini hack, so my hopes are a tad higher. :)

As for continuity, no connection. Period. Dreamwave claims that legal problems kept them from using anything from Sunbow or Marvel. I think it's supposed to roughly follow the first season or two of the cartoon (with some obvious differences, such as the Dinobots already being around), with the Ark being destroyed a few years afterwards.

Glad to hear Wheeljack's okay. It was a crappy death he suffered. Now if Superion can reassemble himself after taking a nuke down the throat. . . . :)

9 out of 10 assorted bears and otters agree: Wheeljack rules!

Adam
04-20-2003, 04:20 PM
I likey volume 2!

Wheeljack can been seen THREE times in the first issue.

War Within is/was a limited series. The tpb is coming out soon, if it already hasn't.

The Ark is still around. It was in the new issue.

El Chuxter
04-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Okay. . . This book is everything volume 1 wasn't. I'm waiting for #2 in a way I've not looked forward to a Transformers comic since reading #79 of the original series years ago.

[DSS]Pedr0
04-21-2003, 12:18 PM
SO R THESE TF COMICS WORTH PICKING UP...I HAVE SEEN QUITE A FEW AT MY LOCAL COMIC SHOP AND HAVE DEBATED ON PICKING THEM ALL UP.

El Chuxter
04-21-2003, 02:18 PM
I'd have to say you definitely should read this new series and The War Within (even if it fizzled at the end, it was a great read overall). Unfortunately, to figure out what's going on in this series, you'll need the first Dreamwave Transformers comic (and the epilogue included in the trade paperback of series one is pretty useful, too, but you can just read it in your local bookstore if you want).

To expand on my earlier post, here's some of my favorite aspects:
1) The "voice" factor. I know if sounds really silly, but if I'm reading a well-characterized comic book, I can hear the characters' voices in my head. (Sorta like how I imagine a lot of us can hear the "dun dun dun DUN dun, dun-dun dun da dun!" when we read good SW books.) Volume I was pretty bland for me--almost all the characters were interchangeable, with no knowledge of the characters demonstrated. But Volume II is dead on. Except for some of the characters who never showed up in earlier comics and cartoons (like the Autobot triple changers), every character is perfect.

2) Grimlock back where he belongs! The big Rex turning traitor in Volume I was the single worst thing about a lousy story.

3) Cameos by Scourge and Ultra Magnus. Why is Magnus allied with the 'Cons? Why is Scourge not?

4) Starscream and Shockwave both turning on Megatron, and both for different reasons.

5) The wonder of who this mysterious new leader of the "Cybertronians" is that Shockwave's working for. Thunderwing? Bludgeon? Ratbat? Unicron? Primus?

6) That sweet cliffhanger ending that mirrored one of the most classic scenes from the movie. Anyone else thinking that Megatron will be transformed by Unicron into Galvatron and go pick up Scourge on Earth?

Also, [DSS]Pedr0, pick up the trade paperbacks of the last 25 issues of the Marvel run of Transformers if you haven't read them. Completely different continuity, but one of the best epic stories ever told in mainstream comics.

Eternal Padawan
04-21-2003, 03:44 PM
I agree. The thing that sucked about the end of the Marvel run, was NOBODY WAS READING IT. Circulation numbers were so low, I think me and El Chuxter were the only two who stuck it out until the end. When issue 80 came out, I was so bummed because Transformers (#41) was my very first "collected" comic (I had comics lying around, but I'd never thought of investing on a monthly basis until #41). To see it end was heartbreaking. I need to go back and reread all my old TFs.

As for the new series, which cover do you buy? Autobot or Decepticon? I picked up Autobot this time.

5) I was under the impression, Shockwave was talking to Ultra Magnus.

El Chuxter
04-21-2003, 04:47 PM
I have to admit my weakness and say that I've bought both versions of all the comics, simply because the choice bewteeen them is too hard. I also bought 2nd and 3rd printing of Vol 1 #1, not because the book was any good, but because both of them blew away the original printing's covers.

Magnus, huh? He might be the one in charge. I know that was definitely his arm in one panel later on. I think, since it appears Unicron is going to rear his ugly head very soon, this leader will probably be an Autobot, most likely one closely associated with the Matrix. As to why Magnus might turn "evil," I can't imagine yet, but he's always proven to be a weak, misguided leader when in power.

I wonder if ol' Kup will show up soon. That oughta be cool.

EP, I had to check all the comic shops in town to find Marvel's #80. The comic shop I normally went to sold out of it the day it shipped. It's a shame, because Andrew Wildman is my all-time favorite TF artist, followed closely by Geoff Senior. Hopefully one or both might do something, if even just a cover, for the new series?

Eternal Padawan
04-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Wildman did rock. Every time an issue came out I would think "This is his last issue, because one of the other comics is going to see his kickass style and lure him away to draw Spiderman or X-Men or whatever..."

I bought the TPB for the first series. Apparently it picks up after an undetermined timeline because Spike is in it. And Sparkplug is dead. Good. He always annoyed me on the cartoon. Him and his goofy yellow boots and the same "contruction worker" outfir day in and day out. Except that one time they picked him up from the airport and he was wearing a suit. But no explanation why...
But now that I've read the TBP I have even more questions. Like why are certain transformers in it and others are not. Grimlock shows up, but none of the other Dinobots. Superion and Devastator show up, but none of the other gestalts. Not to mention the fact that they were doing covers with characters who weren't anywhere to be seen in the books. Menasor? Red Alert? Inferno? The second wave of Autobot small cars (like Beachcomber, etc)

I think they need to go back and do a limited series to clarify exactly what happened in this continuity leading up to the first issue of this series. Just because I want to know if Smokescreen was on the Ark II when it exploded or if he may show up at some point in the future... ;)

Adam
04-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
1) The "voice" factor. I know if sounds really silly, but if I'm reading a well-characterized comic book, I can hear the characters' voices in my head. (Sorta like how I imagine a lot of us can hear the "dun dun dun DUN dun, dun-dun dun da dun!" when we read good SW books.) Volume I was pretty bland for me--almost all the characters were interchangeable, with no knowledge of the characters demonstrated. But Volume II is dead on. Except for some of the characters who never showed up in earlier comics and cartoons (like the Autobot triple changers), every character is perfect.

Sir, if there was a nail in Simon Furman's head, its statements like that, that drove it in. You can HEAR Ironhide and Ratchet talking to each other. It is great.

2) Grimlock back where he belongs! The big Rex turning traitor in Volume I was the single worst thing about a lousy story. Couldn't agree more.

5) The wonder of who this mysterious new leader of the "Cybertronians" is that Shockwave's working for. Thunderwing? Bludgeon? Ratbat? Unicron? Primus?

:confused: Shockwave pretty much spells it out that HE is the new leader. Check out some of his dialouge with Starscream.

El Chuxter
04-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Shockwave makes a transmission to someone he addresses as "commander" or something like that. I'm about 99% sure.

And about the comment about Vol I having bland characterization, I was referring to Dreamwave's first volume. Marvel's series (for the most part) rocked.

EP (and everyone else), the first issue of the new "Guide to" book, More Than Meets the Eye, hits shelves next week. Hopefully it will fill in some of the gaps.

Eternal Padawan
04-24-2003, 12:27 PM
The dialogue goes as follows:

'Con Flunkie: Commander, Incoming signal from security team Dion.

Shockwave: Grant them access. Greetings, COMMANDER. It pleases me to report that we have successfully secured the Decepticons.

Commander: What's their present status?

Shockwave: They have been placed within suspended animation for the duration of the voyage...where they should pose no forseeable threat. Unfortunately, the Autobots were able to escape. However based on your experience, it seems logical that you are better suited to procure them.

Commander: Transmit their most recent coordinates. our estimated time of arrival is 200 Breems.

And so it goes...Shockwave is reporting to somebody.

Adam
04-30-2003, 09:18 AM
I am pretty confident that it is just weak dialouge there. Ultra Magnus is the commander of the Dion team. Commander has always been his rank. Well City Commander, but close enough.

Everything I have read about later issues firmly states that Shockwave is the leader. We'll see next month.

BTW, More than Meets the Eye #1 comes out today. This should be the definitive guide to characters in Dreamwave's continuity.

Eternal Padawan
04-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Now that you mention it, I think you may be right.

I also like the Dion reference. Dion was Orion Pax's best friend in the Episode "War Dawn" when the Aerialbots go back in time to witness Prime's creation. Is it possible Dion was rebuilt into Ultra Magnus?

And what's with Devastator and Superion being so freakin' HUGE?!?! The last time I checked, stacking a dumptruck on top of a mixer and a backhoe didn't make a ten story robot.

Eternal Padawan
05-01-2003, 08:10 AM
Let's talk Trannies. I was at my parents house and dug around in the basement for the old Marvel Series and read through a great bunch of them. I now know why Wildman's pencils were so awesome...it was because Jose Delbo's SUCKED. Man, no wonder Transformers got cancelled. They threw away mass amounts of readership by letting that hack stay on as long as he did. By the time Wildman showed up, it was too late. Other goofy things about the original Marvel series.

The Mechanic.
A Lame Super Team created by G. B. Blackrock.
Ratbat in charge of the Decepticons.
Bludgeon in charge of the Decepticons.

The concept of introducing new Transformers every other issue, then never hearing from them again. Part of this was because Joes Delbo drew everybody the same (box on box on box) and I never liked Pretenders.

Now I'm going to read the 12 issue limited series:

Transformers: Generation2. ;)

El Chuxter
05-01-2003, 12:18 PM
The biggest complaint I had with Delbo was his inconsistency. Like how suddenly he decided Soundwave had a mouth. :(

Geoff Senior was an awesome artist. Dwayne Turner's art on the first appearance of the Neo-Knights was lousy, but he got better on the short-lived Cage series. Mark Texeira provided the cover to #4 (check out the signature on Megatron's back) and Jim Lee drew the best Galvatron I've ever seen for one of his two guest covers.

Whatever happened to the Roadjammers? Introduce humans with the ability to off Transformers, give them a motive to return, then promptly forget about it.

Or this glaring inconsistency:
Bumblebee from TF #1: "So much of this world is water, and Bumblebee's little levers [!!!] love a good swim."
A Throttlebot from part 2 of the horrible Scraplets story: "Water? We have no substance like that on our home world of Cybertron."

BTW, I picked up MTMTE #1 yesterday. I guess the Micromaster Barrage overrode the Insecticon Barrage. And no clues whatsoever on continuity, as we were promised. :mad: However, the Duocons and the Triple Changers were both apparently results of Shockwave experimenting.

Eternal Padawan
05-01-2003, 03:56 PM
The chick on Jim Lee's other guest cover was HOT. She made me keep collecting until the end, hoping she'd show up on another cover. ;) Plus she beheaded one of those annoying Pretenders, so bonus there. I hate Transformers that don't look like Transformers.

The painted cover of Shockwave, issue #5 is a classic. Who did that one?

Don't forget about RAAT. (Not to be confused with RATT). They sucked. (actually they both sucked, so feel free to confuse them if you want...)

Barrage...Barrage...was he a deluxe Insecticon? They never showed up anywhere did they? Comics? Cartoons? The only thing I ever saw them in was the checklist. :)

Adam
05-02-2003, 01:03 AM
The Deluxe Insecticons were not in the cartoon. The Marvel stuff was before my time, though I did read the first G2 issue at a Grocery store. :)

On a semi-related note, I got Fortress Maximus today! I made a thread in the Other forum about him.

El Chuxter
05-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Barrage was a Deluxe Insecticon. He and his brethren, and also the two Deluxe Autobots (the jeep and the helicopter, whose names I can't remember) never showed up in anything, not even Marvel's Transformers Universe, and only rarely on store shelves. Still, they deserve better than being replaced by stinkin' Micromasters. All Micromasters sucked, except Roadblaster and Blackjack.

Adam, I highly recommend putting out the graphic novels reprinting TF #56-80 and TF Generation 2 #1-12. Excellent reading, even if the art in Generation 2 is sometimes not really TF appropriate.

Saw details yesterday on the Dreamwave GIJoe vs Transformers comic. Set in 1939, an ally (or rival) of Hitler known as Cobra Commander teams with mysterious robots called the Decepticons. Looks pretty interesting; I guess it could be called a "Transformers Elseworlds" comic. :)

Adam
05-02-2003, 10:44 PM
I cant decide which will be better.. the Dreamwave series, or the one Devil's Due is putting out.

Eternal Padawan
05-03-2003, 07:44 AM
The Devil's Due one has some goofy lookin' art. At least the ad for it has goofy lookin' art. The Joes are waaay too stylized to the point of distraction.

Whirlwind was the 'copter and Roadmaster (? Road something anyway..Road breaker? Road taster? Road Grover?) was the Humvee lookin' thing. I have him.

Rereadin' the vintage books lately. I like how they introduced Smokescreen, Hoist, Tracks, Skids, and Grapple. Ratchet goes into this big speech how they can't repair any of their fallen comrades for lack of spare parts, then they replenish their ranks by beaming stored personality crystals into FIVE BRAND NEW AUTOBODIES :rolleyes: Could we not strip down the five bodies to repair the others? :)

I've also ascertained when and where the Transformer comics ending was preordained. After a crappy storyline featuring Throttlebots and scraplets, they give us a filler issue with a reprint from the U.K. comic. And not just any filler issue. A filler issue with a CLIFFHANGER. So we'll waste another issue next month reading about the conclusion of the filler issue we never really cared about to begin with. So I'm guessing after four months of craptastic issues, many readers headed for the hills and the book never recovered and finally gave up the ghost with #80. Jose Delbo's art didn't help either. Powermaster Prime is constantly bending at an odd angle for no particular reason....

Flipped thru the MTMTE guidebook. Feh. Not impressed. Probably because it was crawling with Micromasters. They should have a scale thing in there. Here's Optimus, a normal sized Transformer, and here's a dinky Micromaster. And Why the heck is Alpha Trion in there?

Adam
05-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
The Devil's Due one has some goofy lookin' art. At least the ad for it has goofy lookin' art. The Joes are waaay too stylized to the point of distraction.

I know what peice of art you are talking about. But luckily, DD is not going that route. http://www.newsarama.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000215

Eternal Padawan
05-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Sparkplug's first name was William according to issue #3...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Issue #3 really wreaked havoc with lots o' continuity. Cases in point:
Spiderman's in the same universe (which includes the X-Men), so is G.I.Joe (vs. Transformers series). Oh, then so are the TFs. And since the X-Men crossed over with the Teen Titans (DC's universe), that means Superman, plus the Infinite Earths, and all the rest are, too.
But scary thing is, I liked #3. Go figure. Ah youth; when facts were meaningless. :p

Eternal Padawan
05-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Hey! That means Snake-Eyes could flip out and Kill Superman before he wailed on his guitar!

I always considered 1-4 part of the Marvel Universe, and #5 on as an alternate universe. In the Marvel Universe all the Transformers got buried under the mountain again (including Shockwave) and are presumably buried there still.

Of course, you'd have to explain away Ratchet's visit to the Savage Land to rescue the Dinobots in issue #8.

El Chuxter
05-06-2003, 12:18 PM
And Circuit Breaker's cameo in one of the Secret Wars series. And J Jonah Jameson's cameo in The Snake Eyes Trilogy over in GIJoe.

Face it, the Marvel Universe is a mess. :)

Eternal Padawan
05-06-2003, 05:07 PM
It is a mess, but William Johnson's artwork in #7 and 8 was superb. If they'd kept him around instead of resorting to Delbo, the Marvel series might be going strong today.

Eternal Padawan
05-13-2003, 01:47 PM
Sparkplug's first name was William according to issue #3... ...and Irving according to issue #31. :rolleyes: One way or another he's lying.

I knew Sparkplug couldn't be trusted. Shifty looking, beady little eyes...

Adam
05-20-2003, 02:08 AM
Just thought I would give everyone a heads up that issue two is due in stores this week.

Eternal Padawan
05-20-2003, 03:00 PM
Huzzah! Did I mention my theory that Bob Budiansky secretly hated Transformers and plotted to destroy it by writing the most ridiculous stories he could think of during his tenure on the Marvel series? I mean seriously....Donny Finkleberg, Robot Master? Optimus Prime on a floppy disk? Micromasters pro wrestling?

No wonder people stopped reading...

El Chuxter
05-20-2003, 03:21 PM
I always thought Robot Master should've killed G B Blackrock and assumed control of the NeoKnights. :crazed:

Budiansky loved to forget things. Like Circuit Breaker. Where was she supposed to be for all those years? Or the Roadjammers? Set up a major thorn in the side of 'bots and 'cons, then leave them in limbo. Jinkies!

Simon Furman, on the other hand, I blame for my geekiness. I picked up Transformers 56 and 57 on a whim one day and loved them. It was on my subsequent journeys in search of back issues I'd missed (about 50-60 of them in all) that I branched into other comics that looked cool or I'd heard of. One cover in particular of a half-naked wild man (who I already knew was Wolverine) slashing some daffy orange-smelling man apart, as well as the story inside about some punk kid saving Wolverine's sorry butt yet again, got me hooked on X-Men.

The coolest possible crossover would be Jubilee and Bumblebee.

Eternal Padawan
05-21-2003, 08:31 AM
I know all about branching. It's what happens when you go a week without a comic book and need to buy something.

In the Beginning
The year was 1988. Transformers and G.I.Joe were the full extent of my comic reading. But as we all know, two comics a month can't sustain the addiction (and it is an addiction) when you are walking into the comic shop every other day looking for back issues (man is there anything cooler than the smell of a comic shop. All that aging paper under the full blast of the A.C. to keep it climate controlled...) Eventually, both series would hit their brick walls. Although I stopped G.I.Joe around the time Snake Eyes became the major selling point and Scarlett started dressing up like a super heroine. Last year, I tracked down all the issues I missed. (except #154, the penultimate issue, and the Special which retold #61's story with "long lost" McFarlane artwork). The 'formers I stayed with until the bitter end.

Some kids at school ( Junior High) were bonkers for The Punisher. I picked up #14. Frank as a substitute teacher. Whilce Portacio blew me away with his art. Then the War Journal beckoned with the first ever Wolvie/Punisher crossover and Jim Lee's stellar doodling. I stayed almost to the end (including War Zone and the excellent Eliot Brown Armory series) but quit when the whole multiple Punisher story kicked in. Then I read they were ending all three series and madly dashed around to find the handful of issues I had missed. I am still missing #98, 100, and 102 of the original series, #74-77 of W.J. and #35-39 of W.Z.

Batman had just whacked Jason Todd and Detective Comics was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Dark Knight with issue #600. Plus there was a movie or something right around then. ;) The hooplah got me interested, but Jim Aparo and Norm Breyfogle kept me interested. Until #525 for Bats and #691 for 'Tec. Not sure what was going on in those particular issues, but I think a general dismay of all things comic made me stop at the time. Of course, Jim Lee got me interested again last year. :)

Comics go Bi-Weekly for the Summer
It gets a bit fuzzy which comics they were. I think The Amazing Spider-Man was starting the AssassiNation plot by Michelinie and McFarlane. Silver Sable, Captain America, and the Paladin all help Spidey fight the Red Skull. That Cap appearance also led me to...
The Bloodstone Hunt in Captain America. Not an exceptional story, but Kieron Dwyer drew a cool Cap and the lure of back issues led me to a wicked storyline where Cap got fired and U.S.Agent took over, culminating in Steve's return in #350. I kept reading until #446.

The Uncanny X-Men. Where it all began. Somewhere between the Fall of the Mutants and Inferno, the X-Men headed off to Genosha for a couple issues. I wanna say my first issue was the one with a postcard(?) of two X-men hanging by their feet surrounded by Genoshan's saying "Wish you were here!" They were all hiding out in Australia. Alex was falling for his brother's wife. Peter was painting. Storm and Wolvie were trying their best at co-leading. Professor X was nowhere to be found. Silvestri was drawing it and Claremont was writing. This of course, led me to X-Factor to see what that cad, Scott was up to. Buying back issues of these two series became my sole purpose for earning money.

Inferno
So many books came out of this crossover. Avengers hit #300 during Inferno and that was enough for me to buy it. Plus the team was down to basically uhhh...Jarvis. That led to Avengers West Coast[b] (with the really cool John Byrne stuff like the Vision dismantled all over a table and the return of Iron Man (which would get me interested in [b]Iron Man.

I started Excalibur because of Inferno (and quickly tracked down all the issues I could find, including the original Bookshelf one shot). Claremont and Davis ruled.

And since you couldn't understand Inferno with just X-Men and X-Factor, I picked up New Mutants too. I dropped it after Inferno, but then picked it up again when Cable showed up in #87. I collected that until the end ( and many back issues as well) and steam rolled right into X-Force until #49. I have 14 copies of X-Force #1. ( I'll explain why if you ask nicely)

Acts of Vengeance
(sigh) I started reading Web of Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man because of the whole "Cosmic Spidey" thing happening in Amazing. I also bought Daredevil because he was tussling with Blob and Pyro, but stuck around because of Nocenti and Romita Jr.

The final hold outs
There was an ad for Silver Surfer and the Fantastic Four . The Silver Surfer issue turned out to be #34 which introduced Thanos and his megomaniacal quest for the infinity stones and eventually led into Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War, Infinity Abyss, Infinity Smackdown!, and Infinity [fill in the blank]. It had killer Ron Lim artwork and Norrin Radd was too cool, even when outclassed by the just as cool Thanos. The Fantastic Four was a time travelling adventure that included Thor and Iron Man for good measure and lasted several months. Walt Simonson is a groovy cat with a unique style that got me hooked and I think probably led me to collecting Thor as well. Either that or it was the only Marvel book I wasn't picking up so I figured what the heck...

[u]The number ones[u]
Right about the time I started collecting, Marvel introduced a clever way to increase revenue. They would put out a half dozen new series every year and hoped that they all survived. I was suckered into buying just. about. every. last. one. Quasar. Darkhawk. Sleepwalker. Namor. You name it, I probably bought it for a year before I decided whether I wanted to keep reading it or not.

Eternal Padawan
05-21-2003, 05:16 PM
But enough of this reminiscing! Transformers #2 has Topspin and Twintwist in it! Tee Hee!

AND Reflector! The different colored one (not the green/purple one from the cartoon...)

Now all we need to see are the Deluxe insecticons and we'll be set.

Perceptor shows up, and we finally see what happened to the Dinobots ( in this continuity anyhoo...) Hopefully Grimlock can pull the Autobacon out of the fire yet again... Grimlock is the Jubilee to Optimus' Wolverine.

El Chuxter
05-22-2003, 11:06 AM
"Me Grimlock like totally save Prime's butt, y'know?"

:D

Yes, this issue is a good one. This really has me anticipating each issue. As long as Saracini or whatever the guy's name who wrote the first volume is never allowed near a typewriter again, I retract all the bad things I've said about Dreamwave.

El Chuxter
05-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Holy crap!!

Those of us who either never read or dropped Armada (and I'm sure we are legion) may want to reconsider.

From the Dreamwave site (http://www.dreamwaveprod.ca/!newsite/pages/Coming_Soon/august.htm):

TRANSFORMERS ARMADA #14

It begins here... the ARMADA storyline that ALL TRANSFORMERS fans have been demanding! The MINI-CON OVER-RUN arrives with a dire warning for the ARMADA TRANSFORMERS: Chaos is coming! And he's right... big time! The walls between realities are starting to crumble, and from beyond come agents of darkness, all-too familiar faces bent on destruction and mayhem. But they serve an even greater power... one that even now has ARMADA OPTIMUS PRIME squarely in its sights! Don't dare miss this 'generation-spanning' saga... from Simon Furman and Don Figueroa!

Written by Simon Furman
Penciled by Guido Guidi
Inked by Elaine To
Colored by Shaun Curtis & David Cheung

Yeah, yeah, it's Unicron; we all knew he's finally coming out as a toy so it makes sense to put him in the comic. But check out this awesome cover (http://www.dreamwaveprod.ca/!newsite/images/Coming_Soon/August/Armada_14.jpg).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Galvatron we know and love isn't in the Armada universe, nor is there a bad re-paint with little slots for snapping on doofy plastic "Minicons" that are just glorified MicroMasters. So which reality is this "all-too familiar [face] bent on destruction and mayhem" from? With Furman in charge, maybe we'll finally get to find out what happened to Galvatron once Fort Max whooped up on him back in Transformers #79!

Adam
05-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Damnit chux, you beat me to it.

I'm starting to wonder if this is related to the "big suprise" for G1 fans at the end of the Armada toon as well.

And with Furman writing, and Don F drawing, it has to be a good issue.

jjreason
05-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Not to spam, but my subscription service sent me Transformers: Armada 1-10, and I have no interest in them. Please PM me if you'd like them, cover price takes the lot. I also have "More than Meets the Eye" #1, same deal.

Now, back to your more focused discussion....

Eternal Padawan
05-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Is Armada any good? The RID stuff (cartoon etc) blew except for the introduction of Scourge. And then it just kind of petered out. Did that kid ever find his dad? So the acid taste of RID left me avoiding Armada.

El Chuxter
05-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Armada was hit and miss, and I dropped it, though just an issue or two ago. I actually kept buying it for a few months because Simon Furman took charge, but dropped it because I hadn't read something like four consecutive issues because the characters didn't interest me all that much.

Big news on the Devil's Due TF vs Joe comic can be found here: http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=1355&mode=flat. Looks like the art isn't nearly as weird as the initial picture made it look, and good ol' Josh "If you can't have Larry Hama, he's the next best thing" Blaylock oughtta be able to spin a pretty wild yarn.

Adam
05-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Did that kid ever find his dad?

Yes. He was kinda crucial for Fortress Maximus's appearance near the end of the series.

And don't forget, there are two TF/GIJOE series, one from DD and one from Dreamwave.

Eternal Padawan
05-28-2003, 04:40 PM
G.I.Joe is playing catch-up in June with two issues two weeks apart and then the first issue of the crossover series. Whoo hoo!

Josh Blaylock is great. It's great when fans write the books because they put mucho effort into it, rather than some hack who is just earning a paycheck (like some of those Marvel/DC guys).

Adam
05-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Did any of you guys pick up More then Meets the Eye #2 today? I wasn't able to hit the comic shop.

Eternal Padawan
05-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Since I wasn't impressed with #1 last month I didn't bother with #2 yesterday. I saw it on the rack, but I didn't even bother to flip thru it.

El Chuxter
05-30-2003, 12:15 PM
First and foremost, Dreamwave's site has an all-too-brief interview with Furman. He says five G1 characters will show up in Armada 14! We know Galvatron, we can surmise Unicron. Who else? Cyclonus, Scourge? Man, this is gonna be cool!!

Okay, I picked up More Than Meets the Eye #2 last night. Again, pretty cool pictures, mostly familiar info. It was fun to see Grimlock's entry on Sludge. ("Sludge dumb. Sludge slow, too.")

Some interesting (and confusing) hints as to the bigger picture of Dreamwave continuity.

1) Galvatron and Cyclonus were created by Unicron, and Galvatron used to be Megatron. However, since he pops up in the current mini-series, I'm assuming Scourge was not.

2) Unicron is a sort of all-powerful devil to the DW Transformers, since Bluestreak refers to Gears as playing "Unicron's advocate."

3) At some point, Cybertron and all the Transformers are deactivated, but then there's a "great reawakening." Shortly afterwards, Wheelie finds a mentally damaged Decepticon named Gnaw who becomes his sidekick of sorts.

4) Fort Max was co-leader of the Autobots after Prime vanished (I assuming when they crashed on Earth). The picture of his Headmaster component is listed as Spike, but there's no reference to Spike in the bio.

Interesting read. It makes me wonder how much continuity they've already decided on, and how much is written on the fly. . . .

Adam
05-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Did it specificly say 5 G1 characters, or just 5 characters from the past?

Adam
06-25-2003, 04:42 PM
TF #3 is out today, as well as MTMTE #3. FYI.

El Chuxter
06-25-2003, 04:58 PM
The link I followed doesn't seem to be working, but have any of the rest of you seen the cover to and synopsis of #6? Shockwave with the Matrix?!?!?

And what Transformer might be undergoing the "ultimate recreation"? Hmm. Given the obvious nod to the movie at the end of issue #1, I'm guessing we'll see Galvatron soon! :D

Eternal Padawan
06-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Perhaps this is the same Galvatron that shows up in Armada? A way to link the two series together....

Picked up G1 #3. Dedicated to Robert Stack. Nice. Wheeljack is definitely alive in this one. Dialogue and everything.

I dig how this new series is shaping up. How and when did Megatron get ahold of the other four Dinobots? Man, they need to do a retro G1 series explaining everything between the crash and now.

Adam
06-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Wheeljack is definitely alive in this one. Dialogue and everything.

Ahh! When are they going to explain that?!

Eternal Padawan
06-26-2003, 06:07 AM
I dunno, but Jazz makes some crack about Wheeljack being an expert on coming back from the dead. Maybe the writer of this series agrees with El Chuxter that the writer of the limited series was a total dolt and decided to throw out Wheeljack's death?

El Chuxter
06-26-2003, 11:40 AM
El Chuxter can't comment on this, as his comic store was shorted on TF and they got no copies! :mad::mad:

The intrepid owner assured me that, this being one of his biggest sellers, he called Diamond immediately after opening the shipment and will be getting them next week.

preacher
06-28-2003, 08:11 AM
I'm confused. Is this new Transformers comic a continuation of the marvel series, or is this an alternate reality. In issue no. 3 scourge makes an appearance and we are led to believe in a flashback sequence that Scourge has been around for a long time. Didn't Unicron make him using spare parts of other decepticons in Transformers the movie?

Also, where the heck are all these sharktictons coming from? Aren't they supposed to be with the quintessons?

Alpha Trion looked awesome.

I don't get it.

Eternal Padawan
07-02-2003, 06:30 PM
A thorough rereading of this thread would tell you that this is a brand new continuity(neither Marvel nor Sunbow cartoons) but that origins of the Arc crashing and the Transformers reawakening, meeting the Witwickys etc happened at the same (in the early 80's) and this new series picks up twenty years later. So yes and no. ;)

Just picked up GIJvTF #1. I got the Snake Eyes/Optimus version. Honestly, why did they bother putting out the other two covers? I mean the Cobra Commander/Megetron version is nice, but it's lacking a certain ninja commando that any fan worth his salt will HAVE to purchase. And the other cover is just goofy looking. The story is fairly cool (much cooler than the atrocious Marvel version). I liked the Hiss tanks turning into Optimus, Ironhide and Ratchet. And Thundercracker Rattler. And Mike Miller's doodling is sweet. I definitely look forward to the next few months as this ( and hopefully the Dreamwave WWII counterpart) play out.

Adam
07-02-2003, 07:58 PM
I agree on the covers comment, the Optimus/Snake eyes is the best, Megs/CC is ok, the other is just crap. It was a good read though.

Adam
07-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Just another heads up, GI Joe vs TF #2 is out this week, and Transformers V2 #4 and MTMTE #4 the week after that.

El Chuxter
07-24-2003, 12:14 PM
The Wild Man returns!!

Yes, in the upcoming mini-series The War Within II: The Dark Ages, pencils will be provided by the greatest giant robot artist of all time, Andrew Wildman!

Dreamwave has now officially redeemed themselves for that joke that was the first mini-series. :happy:

Adam
07-25-2003, 03:48 AM
[b]Dreamwave has now officially redeemed themselves for that joke that was the first mini-series. :happy:

Are you refering to the G1 comics, or the first War Within??

El Chuxter
07-25-2003, 12:13 PM
The first Dreamwave series, which I've said before was absolutely horrible. It was so bad that, as much as I love Transformers, I planned to give volume II one issue to change my opinion. And it did. :happy:

The Marvel series seemed okay at the time, but in retrospect, it was mediocre with a few great story arcs (Ratchet vs Megatron and the Smelting Pool comes to mind). Well, up until #55, that is. With #56, under the direction of Simon Furman (and replacing talentless artist Jose Delbo with masters like Geoff Senior and Andy Wildman), it became arguably the best epic sci-fi comic of the 90s, if not all time. Sadly, Eternal Padawan and I were the only folks buying it at that time, and it was cancelled after 24 issues. :(

Eternal Padawan
07-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Andy Wildman! This is almost as cool as the New X-Men news!!!

I got TF #4 today. Wheelie gnawing on Prime's foot cracked me up. "Enough you."

And Grimlock taking an Ultra Magnus missile to the face. OUCH.

I'm really digging this second series.

I can't wait for the TF/Joe crossover by Jae Lee.

El Chuxter
07-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Sadly, we finally see the Omnibots show up in something other than a mail-away promo, and they're already dead. :cry:

Adam
08-07-2003, 02:36 AM
Sadly, we finally see the Omnibots show up in something other than a mail-away promo, and they're already dead. :cry:

Maybe, maybe not.

There's a supercool preview of Armada 14 on Dreamwaves webpage. :D

El Chuxter
08-07-2003, 10:26 AM
What was it Eternal Padawan said about Hush over in Batman?

Oh yeah.

Sweet Jizzy Chrizzy!

That little preview makes me look forward to "Worlds Collide" even more. Who is that Optimus Prime? At first I thought it might be the corpse of Prime from Marvel's TF #76, but the damage is too inconsistent. (Not to mention some design differences.)

Is this a Prime we've seen before, in one of the gazillion toy lines?

Those Decepticon silhouettes: we already know the one in the center is Galvatron. Upper left is everyone's second favorite Marvel-era 'Con Commander, Bludgeon. (And there was much rejoicing. Yay, yay!) Bottom left appears to be Scourge. I'm not sure on the other two, but the dude in the bottom right looks like he might be everyone's fourth favorite Marvel-era 'Con Commander, Thunderwing.

Any guesses on 'Con #4 (the guy in the upper right)?

http://www.dreamwaveprod.ca/!newsite/images/preview_armada14_august06_03/TFArm14_p04.jpg

As for the Omnibots (Camshaft, Overdrive, and Downshift), no sign of them. Just as well, though. Everyone ordered them 'cause they looked cool, but they never showed up in the toons or comics, so they were a bit boring.

Adam
08-14-2003, 02:04 AM
Sooooo anyone pick up Armada 14 today? I wasn't able to..

Adam
09-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Armada 15 came out today and I just went through it and 14. Megatron kicks some Autobutt and Galvatron pretty much kicks every ones ***.

G1 vol 2 continues to be awesome. But I am almost tired of Unicron! He's everywhere TF right now..

El Chuxter
12-11-2003, 04:47 PM
So, am I the only person left reading these, or what?

El Chuxter
01-10-2005, 04:48 PM
I just read that, as of last week, Dreamwave is out of business.

Hasbro is looking for a new licensee for the Transformers comics.

Let us pray that our beloved 'Bots and 'Cons find a home where they will be more respected than at Dreamwave.

Serves 'em right for making Grimlock a $%&*in' traitor, grumble, grumble.

kool-aid killer
01-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Im upset that i wont be getting a Beast Wars More Than Meets the Eye soon. The G1 comic had all but lost my support, i stopped buying after issue six and i really have no desire to pick up the few that remain. I think Dreamwave ran the Transformers into the ground, that seemed to be their only title they printed and they should have known they wouldnt survive only with their muscle. Oh well, im sure the franchise will have a new comic out soon...heres hoping its any good.