PDA

View Full Version : why don't you open your figs?!?

Gonk 1979
04-19-2003, 12:19 PM
......I'm a packaged collector too, but not because I'm protecting my "investment", just mainly because I have over 500 3 3/4 figs and not enough room to display them. I have a complete room in my house dedicated to star wars, but only my "prime" toys get shelving space....it does seem like a waste, 500 toys all sitting in boxes in the closet........what about you, if you are a packaged collector, then why?!

James Boba Fettfield
04-19-2003, 12:44 PM
They look better in the package to me, that's why.

Jerjerrod
04-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield

My words exactly. Most of mine were in boxes too, until I got fed up last week and took out 40 freeze frame, flashback, and commtech figures and hung them on the wall.

My Wall of Fame (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3634)

It looks great IMO. :p

Kidhuman
04-19-2003, 01:32 PM
They just look much better that way. I don't have to worry about anyone or anything knocking them over, losing their weapons and having to keep fixing the dioramas or displays. Iam not doing it as an investment at all. I like the way they look. I too, have an entire room in my house dedicated to my figures. I have most of the larger stuff in totes in the closet due to lack of space. But all that will change when I get my own house. I will build a wing onto it just for my toys.

kool-aid killer
04-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Ive got most of mine on card in totes but i plan on making dioramas when i have my own house. The only reason i keep them carded right now is so that i wont lose anything. They do look cool though in their cards all lined up but the room they take up is killing me.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield

Exactly!!

And then, instead of shopping around for tacky art pieces to hang up on the wall, I put my star wars figures there instead, much better art if you ask me, although I wouldn't mind having an orginal Talouse La-Trec hehe. :D

sith_killer_99
04-19-2003, 03:27 PM
I like them in the packages, though I do buy some extras to open, depending on how much I like the figure. I even collect foregin (non-U.S.) carded figures.

With the SAGA stuff, it's easy to keep 'em carded. I have been so disappointed with many of the SAGA figures that I have opened. The quality of the materials and the the lame action features make them seen soo....cheap....when compared to other figures made just six months before SAGA.:( :cry:

I will however, give honerable mention to a few gems that simply must be opened to appreciate:

Royal Guard
Endor Rebel Soldiers
Geo Warrior
Imperial Officer (does he count?)
Lott Dod (does he count?)
Rebel Trooper (Tantive IV Defender)(does he count?)
Massiff
Supreme Chancellor Palpatine

That's about it, though Ephant Mon is cool, I have yet to find another to open.

As for the "does he count" figures, they are really from other lines, and were just added to, or finally released with, the SAGA line, so make of that what you will.

Just my 2 cents.

Amy
04-19-2003, 04:18 PM
I do open everything I buy, but I can totally see why some(most) leave them packaged. They look wonderful carded IMO, and look kinda like a piece of art.

JON9000
04-19-2003, 05:09 PM
I open the figures that are really super cool and articulated like the latest Bspin Luke or Chewie, or figures that go in my Dioramas- Jabbas Palace and The Cantina. I won't post pictures because they really are just shelves. If I opened all my figure there would be a gazillion loose figures laying about.

My favorite opened figure is Kamino Jango.

TheDarthVader
04-19-2003, 05:25 PM
As far as POTF2, commtech, ep1, flashback, and saga figures are concerned, I like the photos and "bio" cards. I like the little write-ups that every figure has. If I open them, I would throw the package away and there would be "less to look at". I also do not open because I do not want to loose accessories and because some figures do not stand well anyway. That is why :)

Darth Jax
04-19-2003, 05:46 PM
i'm primarily a carded collector. i'll buy extras of those i really like, or if on clearance even the marginal ones to have an open one. invariably i'm disappointed by the fig once i can actually examine it free from its bubble. too often the fig won't stand on its own, can't hold it's accessory correctly or has a large button in the middle of the back for a lame gimmick. the figs never fail to disappoint in the package, hence most stay there.

QLD
04-19-2003, 06:06 PM
I open everything. I think the figures look better opened, but just my opinion.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
04-19-2003, 06:33 PM
The Saga collection is my first shot at collecting MOC figures. I wanted to see how far I would get to a full collection and surprisingly got pretty far. Then again, I havn't found a new figure in 5 months...

aharry
04-19-2003, 09:20 PM
I used to go both ways, but then one day my carded figures came out of the closet (and packages).

bobafrett
04-20-2003, 12:08 AM
I prefer to keep my figures carded, though , I probably have 30 or so loose, just because I like the particular figure. When I was collecting figures in my younger years, I would pop the bubble open on three sides, take the figure out play with it, then put it back in it's bubble and tape the side shut. When I look back at those carded figures, I think they would look better without the tape. Now that I'm older, and don't collect the figures to play with, but more because it's something I enjoy doing, I'd rather be able to pull the carded figure out and see it still looking as good as the day I bought it. Another advantage is, I don't lose the weapons or who owns which blaster, lightsaber or accessorie. I've already lost one of Bib Fortuna's guns, and I vacuumed up Wattos little laptop (or whatever that is).

My collection, and how it's stored (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3774)

DarthChuckMc
04-20-2003, 10:19 AM
I have a complete set of carded and opened. My kids get a set so "we" can play with them. I keep a carded set for myself because like someone else mentioned, they're like "art" to me. Plus, I don't have to worry about losing weapons and them getting dusty and such. I do have around 20 loose on my entertainment center. Mostly Vaders and various troopers.

sith_killer_99
04-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Mostly Vaders and various troopers.

Imperial bad guys RULE!

Death Star Gunner
Death Star Trooper
Darth Vader
Stormtrooper
Sandtrooper
Snowtrooper
TIE Fighter Pilot
AT-AT Driver
AT-ST Driver
Imperial Officers
Motti
Tarkin
Piett

TheDarthVader
04-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Imperial bad guys RULE!

I second that. Right on!! They're the best!

Prince Xizor
04-20-2003, 01:46 PM
I open all my toys, but I did try to keep them carded once. I got about 5 figures into it and I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to open them and play with them. I think most of them do look better on the card, but I just can't help myself. They usually too fun to play with and set-up huge battle scenes with.

sease9
04-21-2003, 10:30 AM
I collect carded {since95)but do open only the figures that are really cool,or I really like.I probably have around 50 loose figures,(including reeyes,potesnitkin,death star trooper,death star droid,etc,)I dunno ,I think its easier to collect carded,since you dont have to worry about losing weapons,or people touching or knocking your collection....I hate that..or lets say you have to move,its much easier packing it up and organizing it,but I guess it does have it drawbacks mainly storing.My collection Is all hangin in my room,I love waikin up and lookin at it.....

mm74md
04-21-2003, 11:23 AM
I too once kept them carded. Then I realized that I'd need a huge room to display them all. So I converted into an opener during the Episode I waves.

I only have a few carded anymore

TC-14
R2-1B
Amidala w/ Ascension Gun
Jorg Sacul
Silver R2
Ephant Mon (1 to open as well)

All my Star Tours
R3-D3
G2-4T
Rx-24
R4-M9
DL-X2
WEG-1618

JangoFart
04-21-2003, 03:08 PM
I prefer the way carded/boxed items display over opened items - to a degree. I agree that a smurfy diorama rocks or even a "here's my Imperial Army" opened set rocks too. On the whole, though, I'll go with carded/boxed.

I used to buy 2 of each - one to open, one to keep carded. That got insanely expensive for a completist like me, so I decided to remain married ( :) ) and only pursue the carded/boxed collection. Although I still buy the occasional great figure to open - Bespin Luke (took an X-Acto knife to the knob on his back) and Ephant.

I'm surprised to see all you carded folks coming out from under your stumps. Glad to see I'm not the only one 'round these parts.

I don't think of my collection as art, per se. I view it as a part of Americana or cultural history that deserves preservation. If that preservation occurs in my house, that's cool with me :)

The only reason I collect anything - coins, DVD's, Star Wars, Clash of the Titans, Star Trek, etc. - is because it entertains me. My entertainment is greater with carded/boxed stuff rather than opened.

J

stillakid
04-21-2003, 03:13 PM
I open just about everything. Didn't you see Toy Story 2? How could you do that to a toy? ;)

However, there are a scant few that I leave sealed up. Some figures are obviously made to have more meaning when kept with the packaging, like Toy Fair Vader, Jorg Sacul, Special Edition Luke. Stuff like that.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=190&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

aceguide
04-21-2003, 04:10 PM
I have no intention of becoming inflamaroty about the "opening" debate. I prefer the toys open in order to play with them/display/admire. There are only two that I have in their package (with another opened): 300th Fett and Silver R2. I am sure a Sacul or Silver Vader would stay in the card - due to their novelty - but as I will never see these figures in person that is not an issue.

RussUAE
04-21-2003, 11:48 PM
True, the figures look great carded - do you guys buy all the vehicles too? I can't imagine keeping them in boxes, except maybe the ones with window boxes like the Tie Bomber.

I open everything, because I enjoy building scenes out of them etc, but I do have a few duplicates that I keep on their cards just to show how neat they look.

RooJay
04-22-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Gonk 1979
I have over 500 3 3/4 figs and not enough room to display them. I have a complete room in my house dedicated to star wars, but only my "prime" toys get shelving space....it does seem like a waste, 500 toys all sitting in boxes in the closet

Dude...no offense, but...you do know that figures take up much less space once you take them out of the packages, right?

bobafrett
04-22-2003, 02:04 AM
I just spent the evening dusting, photographing, and orginizing my 3 3/4 inch collection. I finally had to stop as it's going on 2 am, and I need to be up early. I still have my orange/green carded power of the force figures to orginize, dust ,and photograph, but there is just to many to complete, and tomorrow is another day. I'm trying to get a count while I'm at it, so I can honestly answer the "how many" thread, and justify the reason I leave these figures carded. Well, I really don't need justification, I just prefer to leave them on the card. I've even found triplicates on the card, and I think my original thought was I was going to keep 1 on the card, open 1, and the third, I probably forgot that I had already puirchased the first 2. Also on the agenda for my Tuesday, is to find all my loose figures around the house, and add those to my figure tally.

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by RussUAE
True, the figures look great carded - do you guys buy all the vehicles too? I can't imagine keeping them in boxes, except maybe the ones with window boxes like the Tie Bomber.

Yeah I even keep the vehicles and playsets boxed up as well. If they don't have figures to go in them, whatis the sense in opening them?

bobafrett
04-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Well, I have to admit that Hasbro has made the vehicles easier to leave packaged because of the "window" they put on the box. I even have the arena playset still boxed, but that is because I lack the space to properly display it. The boxes stack easier than if you open the vehicle, ands once again, this has to do with the lack of space to display them all.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Yeah I even keep the vehicles and playsets boxed up as well. If they don't have figures to go in them, whatis the sense in opening them?

ROFL! Um, maybe to play with em and stuff ;) :D ;)

I open all my vehicles and playsets to set up dioramas with the set of figures I open. It's fun changing scenes around and making new ones from the movies. Wow, could I be any dorkier ;)

tgr3328
04-22-2003, 09:00 AM
If money and storage space were no object, then perhaps I would buy two of each, one to open and one to stay carded.

But, as it is, I open them because I can't resist!

Must......open......card!