PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite animated film?

PoggleTheGreater
04-19-2003, 07:22 PM
Many people probably consider Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs or Beauty and the Beast to be the best Disney movie, but my favorite, Disney or not, is probably Lady and the Tramp. It's a masterpiece. I love the part when the dogs sing at the pound. Some people consider Anime to be the best in animation. I've not seen many, but I did like the ones I've seen such as Metropolis and Spirited Away. Still, Lady and the Tramp remains one of my most favorite films.

Whats yours?

James Boba Fettfield
04-19-2003, 07:26 PM
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America

Capitan_Moroni
04-19-2003, 07:57 PM
The Emporers New Groove, closely followed by The Hobbit.

JON9000
04-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Toy Story. Nice little allegory of what it is like for an older brother (Woody) when a younger brother (Buzz) is introduced to the family. It's funny, smart, the sound is great, and it makes me feel like a kid again.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-19-2003, 08:56 PM
I like the orginal HeavyMetal and then a close second is Shrek

tagmac
04-19-2003, 11:00 PM
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut!

James Boba Fettfield
04-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by tagmac
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut!
Great choice, tagmac. Little boy, you're going to Hell!, sung by none other than Jimmy Hetfield. Great stuff, man.

Darth Jax
04-19-2003, 11:13 PM
my fave animated disney flick is robin hood. enjoying crude humor as i do both b&b and south park were hilarious. a simpsons movie would rule.

PoggleTheGreater
04-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Yeah, a Simpsons movie would be great. I read somewhere a while ago that there weren't any current plans for a Simpsos movie, but that there would eventually be one.

bobafrett
04-20-2003, 01:46 AM
Does the Wallace and Gromit series count? I guess not, this was "Animated Movies", not half hour clay animated series. Okay, well then I guess Shrek will do, and Chicken Run in the clay animated movie catagory.

Tonysmo
04-20-2003, 04:14 AM
original heavy metal... there is no doubt this is/was by far the coolest cartoon of its day...

of course Akira was pretty darn cool too....

Pendo
04-20-2003, 07:51 AM
I love the Lion King, and amazing story :). It's a shame the sequel was so crappy :(.

PENDO!

PoggleTheGreater
04-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Are any of those straight to video sequels any good?

Pendo
04-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by PoggleTheGreater

No!

PENDO!

Darth Jax
04-20-2003, 12:04 PM
originally posted by Poggle the Greater

horror movies tend to have ok straight-to-video sequels. most of those movies were lucky to have seen release to the general public to begin with. can't imagine, at the rate they churn out animated sequels, that they'd be all that great or else they would get wide release. gotta get the kids to the theaters for any tie-in marketing to be effective. since nearly every house has a dvd/vcr parents will always buy any sub-par sequel to keep the younglings entertained.

sith_killer_99
04-20-2003, 12:19 PM
La Blue Girl

hehehe

JK

Heavy Metal! BTW, has anyone seen this in Theaters? I had the rare oportunity back during the limited re-release in 1996-97?!?! I forget exactly. Anyway, it was awesome!!!

Tonysmo
04-21-2003, 01:36 AM
I saw it when it first came out - at a hole in the wall of a theather.. I was pretty young ( prolly too young for that movie.. ) and I assume thats why it had such an impression on me.. To this day that soundtrack is one of the coolest.. too me anyway..

the 2000 version didnt do anything for me.. Some classics cant be topped...

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2003, 11:08 AM
My pick would be Shrek. Such an ingenious flick. I think it's the only non-Disney animated DVD I own.

A close second is Lilo and Stitch. I really dig that Stitch. Funny little bastard.

Patient Zero
04-21-2003, 11:23 AM
I'd have to say Lain (if series count)...or Fushigi Yuugi. WHAT! I spent half of my college years living with 3 anime girls, these things just happen.

Although not the best film, but I do have an emotional attatchment to Princess Mononoke which I saw opening week in Japan. I have to say that I was upset when I heard it translated into English as I perfered the dialoge I had constructed in my head better.

Rogue II
04-21-2003, 11:29 AM
1. Heavy Metal
2. The Hobbit
3. Fantasia - I mostly like the music and all the pretty colors.
4. Transformers: The Movie

Beavis and Butthead and South Park were good, but I like the TV shows better. I saw Heavy Metal 2000 once and thought it was pretty good and almost bought the Heavy Metal DVD set this weekend (both movies for around $35-40).

QLD
04-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Ninja Scroll
Beauty and the Beast
Angel Cop
Lion King
South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut

scruffziller
04-21-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Great choice, tagmac. Little boy, you're going to Hell!, sung by none other than Jimmy Hetfield. Great stuff, man.

Do you have proof of this???

I argued with another Metallica fan that it was, he said it wasn't him but I thought it was because it does sound like him. I got the credit off of the movie and doesn't say anything about Hetfield.

My favorite drama animation has to be the Spawn series and
comedy movies are Beavis and Butthead and South Park.

El Chuxter
04-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Based on my opinion at the moment, and subject to change without notice:

1) The Lion King
2) Lilo & Stitch
3) Spirited Away
4) Toy Story 2
5) The Transformers: The Movie
6) The Iron Giant
7) Shrek
8) Toy Story
9) Mulan
10) Monsters Inc

For whoever was asking about the Disney sequels: with the exception of the Pixar sequels (okay, sequel, since TS2 is the only one so far) and The Rescuers Down Under, these are all handled by a different department within Disney that primarily does TV animation and they tend to look more like shoddy rush-jobs that are easily dated. Also, the late, great Walt himself repeatedly said he hated sequels and wouldn't allow any sequels to be made of his cartoons. You see how long that stood up after he died. I've got a friend who's a Disney fanatic who can explain it better than I can.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
For whoever was asking about the Disney sequels: with the exception of the Pixar sequels (okay, sequel, since TS2 is the only one so far) and The Rescuers Down Under, these are all handled by a different department within Disney that primarily does TV animation and they tend to look more like shoddy rush-jobs that are easily dated. Also, the late, great Walt himself repeatedly said he hated sequels and wouldn't allow any sequels to be made of his cartoons. You see how long that stood up after he died. I've got a friend who's a Disney fanatic who can explain it better than I can.

Any direct-to-video feature that has the Disney name or Buena Vista plastered on it is guaranteed to be a waste of time and money for the consumer. Those movies are just horrible. Does Disney really need $ that badly that they're willing to drag their reputation through the mud?

Why not spend the money it takes producing those POCs and invest it by sending their writers back to school to come up with better stuff?

Patient Zero
04-21-2003, 04:06 PM
I am really surprised that noone has mentioned Akira or Vampire Hunter D. Doesn't anyone watch anime anymore.

JON9000
04-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Any direct-to-video feature that has the Disney name or Buena Vista plastered on it is guaranteed to be a waste of time and money for the consumer. Those movies are just horrible. Does Disney really need $ that badly that they're willing to drag their reputation through the mud?

Why not spend the money it takes producing those POCs and invest it by sending their writers back to school to come up with better stuff?

I was introduced to a local girl by a mutual friend who expressed her love of Disney movies and Cinderella in particular. She mentioned she got the straight to video sequel. I asked if it was Cinderella II: the Wrath of the Evil Stepsisters. She did not get the reference, to her credit (if she had, she might have been the prettiest Star Trek fan ever). But she said the step sisters get hooked up with their own husbands and become nice. I asked if that sort of ruined the original, making it harder to hate the stepsisters knowing that deep down they just needed what Banky Edwards says they do. She replied, yes, it sort of does. SOme things just stand on their own and do not need follow ups.:stupid:

mm74md
04-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Toy Story 1 & 2
Shrek
Monsters
Lion King
Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!) - Come on! Snoopy gets drunk, what else do you want?????
Secret of NIMH

And the list goes on and on and on

El Chuxter
04-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
I am really surprised that noone has mentioned Akira or Vampire Hunter D. Doesn't anyone watch anime anymore.

I totally forgot Akira! Consider it, uh, tied with something in my top ten. :)

I've not seen much anime, but what I've seen (Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, Akira, Spirited Away, and about 1/2 of Ghost in the Shell), I've enjoyed.

James Boba Fettfield
04-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Sorry I didn't answer you sooner, scruff. About that South Park song, yes it is James Hetfield singing with the group D.V.D.A., which is Trey Parker and Matt Stone's band. He admitted to doing it on the old Met Club message boards. On encycmet (http://www.encycmet.com/projects/projames.shtml) they list it with James's other side projects.
Then on the Inter Sandman site they posted the news when James first posted it on the message board:

JAMES ON SOUTH PARK

James finally admitted to lending his vocal cords to the South Park movie on the Members Only Message Boards at Metallica.com. Because this is a Members Only area, we will not post his responce (he also answered several other questions)... Members: go check it out now!
We were told repeatedly by people at Paramount, that this was not James, and in fact South Park creator, Trey Parker.
Further proof, taken from the Playboy article and said by Jason Newsted, "In the South Park movie, when Kenney goes to hell, James is singing..."
There you have it scruff, compiled by SSG's own Metallica stalker.

darthvyn
04-24-2003, 07:34 PM
monsters, inc.

kool-aid killer
04-25-2003, 09:00 AM
My favorite animated movies in no order are:
Toy Story 2 (I seen the first too many times in high school spanish class)
Lion King
Lady and the Tramp
Monsters Inc.
Beauty and the Beast
The Hobbit
Snow White
and i believe it was called Oliver and Company or something like that.

I didnt really like the Transformer movie. I was somewhat disappointed in how they had Megatron and the Decepticons take over that ship and kill those Autobots real easy but you didnt see any Decepticons die. That and the soundtrack sucked. It was cool to see them on the screen but i just thought it could have been better.

scruffziller
04-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield

Further proof, taken from the Playboy article and said by Jason Newsted, "In the South Park movie, when Kenney goes to hell, James is singing..."
There you have it scruff, compiled by SSG's own Metallica stalker.

SKOOL!!!!:D

So for a while there it was dubious as to wether it was James or not, huh? When I first saw the movie in theatres, there was no doubt in my mind it was James. His voice is way too distinctive singing.

Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna

Oh yes of course. But both Vampire Hunter D and VHD:Bloodlust.

Lobito
04-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Monsters Inc., Lion King, Aladin and Tarzan.

aceguide
04-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Ghost in the Shell is my favorite animee.

Monsters, Inc. is my favorite recent Disney/Pixar.

Lilo & Stitch is my favorite recent Disney/Animated.

Robin Hood or Snow White for "older" Disney/Animated.

I also liked most of Titan AE.

InsaneJediGirl
05-04-2003, 08:56 PM
In no order at all,my favorites are

Lady and the Tramp
Monsters Inc
Robin Hood
Lion King
Toy Story
Aladdin
Bevis and Butthead Do America
South Park : Bigger,Longer,& Uncut

Too bad Ren and Stimpy or Rocko didnt have a animated movie,those would have been cool as well.

DarthChuckMc
05-04-2003, 09:04 PM
South Park
Monsters Inc.
Lilo and Stitch
Toy Story
Toy Story 2

jpak001
05-07-2003, 02:46 AM
That's a real tough one, I'm always finding new animation/anime that I dig. But some of my absolute faves would have to be:

Ninja Scroll (oh yeah, this one rocks!)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust/Betrayal
Cowboy Beebop (series)
Gundam 08th MS Team (series)
Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (series)

I would say Nightmare Before X-mas, but technically that wouldn't count huh? Really a true masterpeice though...

I'm also really looking forward to the Animatrix, those 4 free episodes they have at the animatrix website are awesome!! If you have broadband, I highly reccomend checking it out!

UKWildcat
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
6) The Iron Giant

I'm shocked that no one else mentioned The Iron Giant. That movie is fantastic.

Along with The Iron Giant, I would say Finding Nemo and The SpongeBob SquarePants movie.

Slicker
01-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah, a Simpsons movie would be great.That would be awesome!!!

My favorite is probably Dumbo. "Baby Mine" is the saddest song ever.:cry:

stillakid
01-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Favorite? That's tough because so many are great for different reasons.

How about a list?

Iron Giant
Robin Hood
Jungle Book
Anastasia
The Little Mermaid
Lady and the Tramp
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

I'm sure others will come to mind as soon as I hit send....

General_Grievous
01-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Jeez, where to begin?

Well, I don't have one favorite, so I'll break it down into three categories.

Classic Disney Films I Loved as a Kid (and still do)
-Snow White
-The Jungle Book
-The Little Mermaid
-Beauty and the Beast
-Aladdin
-The Lion King

Pixar Movies
-Toy Story
-Toy Story 2
-Monsters, Inc.
-Finding Nemo
-The Incredibles
-Ratatouille
(Pretty much all of them, and even though "A Bug's Life" and "Cars" aren't my favorites, they're still enjoyable)

TV Shows turned movies
-Beavis and Butthead Do America
-South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
-The Simpsons Movie
-The Spongebob Squarepants Movie (I don't remember much about it, but I do remember some of the funnier parts, like Patrick wearing fishnet stockings)

"Shrek" and "Shrek 2" also deserve cred. The first one is definitely one of the funniest animated movies I've seen.

and then there's one of my all-time favorites, "The Nightmare Before Christmas".

I guess there's an honorable mention for the first half hour of "Transformers: The Movie".