PDA

View Full Version : High School Reunions

sith_killer_99
04-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Well, I just got another letter in the mail about my upcoming 10 year reunion. I plan on going back to Colorado in June to see the old gang I grew up with.

It will feel pretty strange seeing everyone again, I'm a much different person now than I was 10 years ago.

Who else has been to their 10-15-20-25-?? High School reunions? How did it go? Did you regret it or were you glad you went?

The actual reunion is the 20th-22nd of June and we will probably drive out on the 16th. I admit, my biggest reason for going is to see my family and friends back home, the ones I have stayed in touch with over the years.

BTW, are there any stores I should visit while I'm home, we will be in the Commerce City area, but we will probably spend some time in the mountains, maybe Estes Park.

bobafrett
04-20-2003, 10:42 AM
Well, I went to my 10 year reunion, and this year I hit my 20 year reunion. I'm just glad I still have my hair. The 10 year reunion was pretty cool, problem was, I was a loner in High school, and pretty much kept to myself. The two good friends I had, well neither one of them showed at the 10 year, so I'm debating if I want to pay money to have people find out that I haven't really changed much, and that I still love Star Wars.

Darth Jax
04-20-2003, 11:15 AM
i second that notion bobafrett. was a loner in hs. not much has changed over 10 years. i spent 4 years ignoring most of my classmates. i spent the weekend of the reunion continuing to ignore them.

there were very few people i wanted to see at the reunion, most weren't there. since i have kept in contact with 0 people from hs, wasn't a lot to draw me back. went anyways, will not make that mistake in the future.

bobafrett
04-20-2003, 11:46 AM
At least I have a large panoramic photo from the 10 year reunion, and several of the ladies whom I liked, but never got the nerve up to ask out, were sitting in the front row. One in particular still looked as beautiful as the day we graduated from High School. I decided to cut my hair (long locks) just days before I went.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-20-2003, 12:06 PM
I switched High Schools in my senior year so the school I grew up in has no idea where I am (woohoo) and the other school I graduated from, well I told them don't bother sending me anything about reunions because I won't ever be going as I barely knew anyone there. Besides, I'd have to travel too many miles to go and that just isn't happening. I'd rather have a college graduation reunion as I met and like WAY more people in college than High School!! I'm on my 15 year for high school. I don't know if they even do that year or not??? Don't really care either. I also think I was the only one in my old high school who didn't get pregnant before graduating ROFL ;)

sith_killer_99
04-20-2003, 01:16 PM
WOW, am I the only one here who looks back at High School as the single greatest 4 year party of my entire life.

Sure, I'm glad it's over, time goes on and all that, but I had fun, hanging out in seedy pool halls, parties every weekend (or almost). Hangin' with my friends, cutting class to hang out at the mall or going up to the mountains.

My High School had it's share of jerks, prudes and....Witch Queens, but for the most part I got along well enough with everyone. I had about a dozen really close friends and a few hangers-ons, most of whom I haven't seen in years.

I guess I'm one of the few people who looks forward to seeing my old class mates.

James Boba Fettfield
04-20-2003, 01:38 PM
I'd love to go back and ask how many of my classmates are still having relations with teachers. That being said, I talk to all of the people I like still, so I don't see the point of a reunion.

Prince Xizor
04-20-2003, 02:10 PM
I just graduated from High School last year, and while I am glad to be out of their, I would be up for a reunion tomorrow. The only people I see from High school are my good friends, like 7 people, and I would be interested to see what some other people are doing now. (College, Bagging Groceries, doin crack)

Do Reunions only happen every 10 years, or 5 years?

Deoxyribonucleic
04-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
WOW, am I the only one here who looks back at High School as the single greatest 4 year party of my entire life.

Sure, I'm glad it's over, time goes on and all that, but I had fun, hanging out in seedy pool halls, parties every weekend (or almost). Hangin' with my friends, cutting class to hang out at the mall or going up to the mountains.

My High School had it's share of jerks, prudes and....Witch Queens, but for the most part I got along well enough with everyone. I had about a dozen really close friends and a few hangers-ons, most of whom I haven't seen in years.

I guess I'm one of the few people who looks forward to seeing my old class mates.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED all of those things too, :) and still talk to several people I hung out with in my high school days, the only problem is, that they all graduated a few years before me and from a different high school. I loved the parties and fun and hanging out in parking lots and burger stands, hell YEAH! I just did it with people that didn't go to my high school ! ROFL ;)

The 'Xir
04-20-2003, 04:18 PM
I've actually always had a core group of about 10-15 friends that has always stayed together since High school. so when our 10th came up, most of the group was like,"I'm not going, why would I want to see all those other idiots". Me, I don't care I got along with everyone, but when my friends said they weren't going I decided to stay home as well. Then come to find out half of my friends who said they weren't going went! What is up with that! Ehh, I ended up going to a bar that night where most of the reunion ended up as well, so it all worked out! Can't say it was any life altering experience though!
Might go to 15 if we have one, definetly 20 or 25th! Those are the numbers where ya kinda like have to go! Who knows!

The 'Xir
04-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Prince Xizor
Do Reunions only happen every 10 years, or 5 years?

depends on who in your class is organizing it. If you want to have one every year go for it! but because alot of people move away and shyte happens, it's too much of a pain to keep going back every couple of years. Usually not enough time has passed for peoples lives to change all that much, so that's why I think the standard is 5-10 years betwen them! Besides most people don't want to associate with their old classmates that often or at all!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Mine was held at the same hotel where the only Prom (junior year) I went to was. The reunion was kinda cool, for the people I had not seen since the last day of school. I dreaded seeing no one, but I was disappointed that certain ones didn't make it. So all in all, it was okay.
p.s. Palm Springs is really, REALLY hot in August; not the best place IMO.

Capitan_Moroni
04-20-2003, 05:24 PM
lets see, I'll go to my -2 month reunion tomorrow.....;) :D

Darth Jax
04-20-2003, 09:07 PM
originally posted by sith_killer_99

don't have bad memories of high school per se. would say that college was the 8 greatest years of my life.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Oh, how i hated high school with a passion that burns like the fiery flames of hell. Pretty much 99.8% of my fellow classmates were complete and utter schmucks, and personally, i couldn't care less what they're doing now a days at all. Like JBFF stated, most of my good friends i still talk to, so the only reason why i'd go, is to meet up with them, be the outsider kids we were then and crack jokes to ourselves as we did back then.

I'd go just be like "screw you...you....and you.....hey remember me? yeah, @%@% you and hey yeah, you too and lord, i hated you so much" and whatnot. I'm not bitter or a mean guy, I was just treated poorly for being different, which lead me to my outsider status. :D

Exhaust Port
04-20-2003, 10:26 PM
I don't think high school was all that great. I'm not saying that I didn't have fun but I remember a teacher telling the class that "these are the best years of your life." All I can think was "I hope not!"

Honestly, college was a 1000 times better. You can do so much more as you get older. At 18 you can go into bars, at 21 you can drink AND buy alcohol, at 25 you can rent a car. You don't live at home with your parents. You have your own car to drive when ever and where ever you want. You can skip class and watch TV all day and there's no one to tell you other wise. I can go on and on.

High school is an easier life as your level of responsibility is nearly zero but you pay for that by being incredably limited in your freedom. Post-high school life has a much higher level of responsibility but you have a nearly unlimited level of freedom in what you do.

Some people say that they partied just as hard in high school than they did in college, or whatever. Sneaking around in peoples basements to drink beer was never an ideal time. Now I can sit out on the back porch, cook up some burgers and kick back and drink a beer. If I run out, I can go and buy more and not wait until my buddies older brother gets home to buys us some more.

About the reunions: We had a 5 year reunion that was thrown together at the last minute so the attendance was limited. Basically only those living in the immediate area could make it. I was originally looking forward to the 5 year but it wasn't worth going really. At that point in your life no one had accomplished anything. Everyone was still in school or just getting out so that makes for a boring conversation. Those that weren't in college were the "I'm taking a year off before I do something with my life." 5 years later they were still doing nothing productive. Again, it makes for a boring conversation. Those friends that I was the closest to in high school I still keep in touch with anyway so I didn't need the event to catch up.

The 10 year was a lot better. People had really grown since our graduation and even since the 5 year reunion. People had real careers, hobbies and families. I had a great time catching up with people. Even those that I was a casual friend with in school and even those that I wasn't were interesting to meet again and talk to. I found it interesting to see what paths their lives took when we left a common starting point. How does someone in OH end up living on the west coast married to a flight attendant? How did that idiot I knew in class become successful professional?

I recommend going. You only get out of it what you put into it though. If you enjoy talking to people and not being a wall flower then go, you'll have great time.

QLD
04-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Well, my 10 year is coming up this year. I enjoyed high school, but I doubt I will go.

Jedi Clint
04-20-2003, 11:39 PM
I skipped the 5 and 10, but I only went to that school for my senior year. I might have gone to the reunion(s) for the school I spent the first 3 years at. No loss either way.

bobafrett
04-20-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Lando In My Pants
Well, my 10 year is coming up this year. I enjoyed high school, but I doubt I will go.

Come on QLD, I er um mean Lando in my pants, let's not be a negative Nancy here. I will probably go to try to see if there are still any single ladies (divorcies by this time) who want to settle down with my Star Wars collection. Maybe the schoolmate that flirted with me at the 10 year reunion will be there! I'd better get to the Gym..............

Tonysmo
04-21-2003, 12:52 AM
I got one thing out of high school... just one... My wife.. and thats all I need..

sith_killer_99
04-21-2003, 03:13 AM
Well, I've spent most of my time away from home since graduation. I joined the Army while I was in High School (delayed entry). I went to AIT (Advanced Individual Training) at home, or just down the road (Fitzsimmons Amry Medical Center) for the first year.

After that I left and barely looked back. I have been home a few times here and there, the last time was June 2001. So I figure 2 years isn't too bad. Before that I lived in Hawaii for 4 years, I didn't go home the whole time, too expensive.:(

My mom flew out to Hawaii for my wedding, summer 2000!

Mostly I am looking forward to going home, then maybe seeing a few people and catching up on who is doing what.

Patient Zero
04-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Hell no, we won't go! 10 year is coming up next year and neither my girlfriend (whom graduated in the same class as me) nor I have any intention of going. We both hated high school and the only people that we may enjoy seeing are those who we would bet are also not going.

The whole thing is pathetic in my opinion. It is a popularity contest just like in high school; who is wearing the trendiest clothes or has the most expensive car or the highest paying job. If I wanted to see these people because they are friends then I never would have lost contact in the first place. Besides the people whose company I enjoyed back then are not the same people now just as I am not. You can not step in the same stream twice.

scruffziller
04-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Oh, how i hated high school with a passion that burns like the fiery flames of hell. Pretty much 99.8% of my fellow classmates were complete and utter schmucks, and personally, i couldn't care less what they're doing now a days at all. Like JBFF stated, most of my good friends i still talk to, so the only reason why i'd go, is to meet up with them, be the outsider kids we were then and crack jokes to ourselves as we did back then.

I'd go just be like "screw you...you....and you.....hey remember me? yeah, @%@% you and hey yeah, you too and lord, i hated you so much" and whatnot. I'm not bitter or a mean guy, I was just treated poorly for being different, which lead me to my outsider status. :D

Yea I pretty much like going to my reunions so I can flip everybody off.:D :Pirate:

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2003, 02:38 PM
When my 10-year reunion came up I think my parents called me to let me know my invitation came in the mail. I must have been so disinterested in going to it that I don't ever remember asking them to forward it to me. I never hung around with anyone in my class anyway so what was the point?

The only thing I'd be interested in doing is seeing all the loser, hosebag teachers who treated students like crap and laughing in their faces because they're probably still making about $25K a year or something lowly like that. :evil:

Dar' Argol
04-21-2003, 08:30 PM
About 5 years ago we had our 5 year reunion . . . . boy did that sound redundant:rolleyes:. Anywho, about 30 ppl showed up and we did have fun. Some of the old Cliche' (I think that's how its spelled) we still there, but all in all it was a great time. Now we are preparing for the 10 yr reunion. My wife and I graduated same school, same year. We had a lot of the same friends and we cannot wait to see everyone. :D :D :D A few of the ppl are still in the area and we contact them from time to time and hang out. But it will be nice to see those that have moved out of the area.

Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
If I wanted to see these people because they are friends then I never would have lost contact in the first place. Besides the people whose company I enjoyed back then are not the same people now just as I am not. You can not step in the same stream twice.

Sometimes you cannot help but loss contact. Ppl move to different states, some even to different contries. Some ppl that you do keep contact with just dissapear, so its not your fault even. And true, some of those ppl you got along with will not be the same after 10 years, but neither will those you did not. Its amazing at how new freindships can form from ppl whom you dispised(sp) and hated 10 years ago. I think its a good experiance and a good way to connect to those you spent 4 years or more with day in and day out. My wife and I really can't wait to see those who have left and those that we have lost contact with. Its gonna be a blast.

Exhaust Port
04-21-2003, 09:39 PM
It's only what you make of it. If your set on being a party pooper and just *****ing and moaning about other peoples success/failure or what they're wearing then don't bother. Most likely if your like that now then you were like that in HS and won't be missed at the reunion. Plus I think a lot of you watch to many movies and think the reunions are all about the one up-manship. Of the 2 that I've been to there was only one guy who would have fallen into that category. I would consider him one of the before mentioned party-poopers and he should have stayed at home with that attitude.

Sentinel18725
04-21-2003, 09:41 PM
I am going to be having my 10 yr reunion this year. I am already curious if it is going to work out. I still have heard nothing as to when it is going to happen. I had great times back then. I was top of the world and then came back down to reality. It brings me back thinking that I had unlimited possibilities then. Now, I know what has passed and what will never be. But I am still optimisitic. I have heard some of the things that have been happening so I am curious as to how everyone is.

sith_killer_99
06-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Well, Saturday my minivan brokedown. I ended up paying almost $400.00 to get it fixed. It ended up needing a new timing belt and water pump. Unfortunatly for me, I just don't have the facilities to fix that kind of stuff myself. Actually, I'm not even allowed to work on the vehicles in front of the house!!!

So the High School reunion is off.:(

Oh well, everything happens for a reason. I have been a bit behind lately, posting here and there, but I am catching up. It looks like I will be getting back into trades in a few days and I just posted a bunch of junk on ebay, I gotta clear out the attic so to speak.

The biggest bummer is that the date for a refund on my reunion tickets is long past (June 6th) so I am out another $175.00!!!:cry:

Looks like I should have take some of y'alls advice about not going to begin with.:Pirate:

DarthBrandon
06-19-2003, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck sith_killer_99, I wouldn't feel too bad about though, I never went to mine and from what I hear I didn't miss much. The odd thing is my buddy went and he said everyone who was good looking popular etc at the time, well it's all reversed now, the guys/gals people made fun and stuff are the successful ones and it's the opposite for the rest of them. Anyways nothing to feel bad about except for the loss of the coin.

jjreason
06-22-2003, 01:54 AM
We didn't have a 10 year. Hard to believe, but Im now 12 years out end of this month. Damn. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the people I liked then and don't see now, but there really aren't that many. I'd like to see some of the "high and mightys", and how that management job in the McDonald's corp is going for them.....

Bel-Cam Jos
06-22-2003, 09:41 AM
I sense a lot of resentment going here. (No?!? Really? :p ) Reunions; look at the word... re (again), union (coming together). Not a pulling apart. Ah, let's see who's a loser who thought he/she was a) groovy b) fresh c) all that d) fab e) on the trolley (pick your year's appropriate term ;) ). If you're counting on that, I think you miss the purpose of reunions all together. Just my opinion, but it's a "waste of money" if that's your goal. I was struggling to get a teaching job when I went to my 10 year reunion, so I might've been considered a popular person (in someone's eyes) who flopped, or got theirs. I'd feel really poorly if that was what somone else was hoping for would've happened to me. :cry:

"These, are tear drops." - ALF

JEDIpartner
06-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Romy and Michele... totally.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2011, 11:58 AM
My 10th was so-so, but this most recent one (the past weekend) was much better. Probably due to being a tad more mature and interested in listening to friends' activities/family/memories. But there was still silliness and high school-ness going on. Just Facebook or email/texting isn't sufficient.

JimJamBonds
07-12-2011, 01:41 PM
At the end of high school/a few years after graduation my stance was "I'm not going to go, I see the people I want to see and to hell with the rest of them." Well, when my 10 year came up I already had plans but I actually wanted to go, in about a month my class will have its 15 year reunion, yikes! I'm planning on going to that, should be interesting.

JEDIpartner
07-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I went to an event for my 10th, but had to fly to Toronto with my band that evening, so I didn't go to the actual reunion. I went to the informal 15th and I realised that I never need to attend another reunion ever again. Here's why...

Most of the people who were uber-jerks in high school were still immature jerks who felt the need to make fun of people. The ones who were pleasant were pleasant, but it was apparent why I never stayed in touch with them. I just hadn't anything in common with them in the first place. The ones who I WAS friends with had, for the most part, become embarrassing due to their lack of moral fibre or character (loads of jail time, scheming or feeling that they needed to get back at the world because it was so cruel to "us nerds"). I've got a group of friends I've cultivated over the last 15-20 years who had stuck with me through so much and THOSE are my friends and chosen family. I've dropped a lot of friends in that time, too... but these are the important ones who are always there for each other.

High school reunions? Do. Not. Want.

JimJamBonds
07-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I went to an event for my 10th, but had to fly to Toronto with my band that evening...You're in a band JP? Or were in a band!?!?!? What did you play!?!?!?!

TeeEye7
07-17-2011, 01:19 AM
I thought everyone knew of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Jp.....

JEDIpartner
07-18-2011, 01:50 PM
You're in a band JP? Or were in a band!?!?!? What did you play!?!?!?!

LOL I thought that was covered long ago? Yes, I was in a band, sang lead and played keys occasionally. I was the primary songwriter. We spent loads of time in Europe, Quebec and Mexico (not in touristy Mexico, but that hardcore stuff down the middle). :)

It was 95% original material-- pop/dance stuff.

sith_killer_99
07-18-2011, 10:08 PM
LOL I thought that was covered long ago? Yes, I was in a band, sang lead and played keys occasionally. I was the primary songwriter. We spent loads of time in Europe, Quebec and Mexico (not in touristy Mexico, but that hardcore stuff down the middle). :)

Before the dark times, before the Cartels!

JimJamBonds
07-18-2011, 10:33 PM

It was 95% original material-- pop/dance stuff.Yeah its probably "here" someplace....regardless very cool! I used to play the drums, so I guess we still need a guitar player and somebody to slap the bass for the SSG All Star Band.

JEDIpartner
07-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah its probably "here" someplace....regardless very cool! I used to play the drums, so I guess we still need a guitar player and somebody to slap the bass for the SSG All Star Band.

There you go!!

The one bright spot of the 15-year one was that one of the girls who was really brutal to me for 6 years actually apologised for her horrible behaviour. I accepted the apology, of course, and I think I'm good now.

JimJamBonds
08-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Well my 15th was last night, there wasn't much planning involved beyond setting up a facebook group and saying "hay how about this date, at this bar and this time" so there was 8 of us out of a class of 96ish. I didn't expect many but I thought there'd be more then that. Today there is a picnic/bring your kids type thing at a local park but I'm opting out of that. In my mind it was less of a reunion and more of a 'bunch-of-people-from-my-class-were-out-and-happened-to-bump-into-each-other-type-happening." Still it was nice to chat with the people there so I don't want to dump on it too much.