PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting FACTS about the figures - like how many of who?

Tycho
04-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Fascinated by statistics and numbers, as well as seeing just how complicated (but functional) of database I can program, I entered all the CARDED figures made for the modern collection into a table, and then ran some queries. I got some interesting stuff back to report.

306 carded figures - but no, not actual cards:

I counted Jawa#1 and Jawa#2 seperately from the 2-pack, as well as Ugnaughts, etc.
I did not count each paint variation on the Battle Droids, but did give new sculpts like the Saga one (a repainted Security Droid) a file on the list.
I counted things like the droid that comes with Aunt Beru, and the Mouse Droid of course, including Teemto Pegules crash-cleanup droid he comes packed with, along with Vader's interrogator droid, and Leia's hologram.
I did not count the head variations on the Imperial Officer and Rebel Fleet Trooper, or Endor Rebel Soldier.
I went up to the last figure I've found that's been released here (Aayla Secura / Bariss / Lama Su) but did not include Yoda and his Youngling student because I guess I missed getting them by a few minutes last Friday).
I counted the Sneak Preview Mace Windu, but really shouldn't have, since I haven't added figures like Oola, Muftak & Cabe, and the B'Omarr Monk Droid into the database yet.

I'll figure out just how many carded figures there actually are when I add a category to my database to single out the "card-holders" like R4-M9, as opposed to the Mouse Droid.

What else?

84 figures are from The Phantom Menace

65 figures are from A New Hope

59 figures are from Attack of the Clones

43 figures are from Return of the Jedi

39 figures are from Empire Strikes Back

and they still haven't made Luke, Leia, and Lando from the end of "Empire," let alone Carlisst Riekeen, Torynn Farr, Major Derlin, a new, improved Hoth Rebel, a black Bespin Security Guard, a Cloud Car Pilot, a carded Princess Leia Bespin Gown....you get the picture.

Note, figures like Orm Free Taa were counted for Phantom Menace, as that is the movie in which they were first seen.

To date, there are (released on cardbacks):

15 Luke Skywalkers (4 are Tatooine, 2 x-wing, 2 Bespin, etc.)

12 Obi-Wan Kenobis (including all the movies he's been in -young or old!)

12 Princess Leias ( 4 are Imperial Senators, though I counted the hologram)

9 Han Solos (3 in the vest, 2 Bespins, though I did not get around to counting the Carbonite Han w. the Jabba's Palace cardboard, nor the Gunner Station ones, etc. yet)

7 Darth Vaders carded in 8 years

7 Chewbaccas carded in those same 8 years

6 Darth Mauls carded in 4 years (pathetic!)

6 Qui-Gon Jinns carded in 4 years (again, groan...)

4 Jango Fetts carded in 1 year (uh-oh!)

3 BOBA Fetts carded in 7 years... (that does not include the 300th Figure anniversary edition, or 2-packs, but it does count the kid from "Clones."

12 is the number of carded figures exclusively from the Cantina (or Mos Eisley since I counted the ASP-7 droid and Garindan). I skipped Greedo's resculpt.

20 is really the number of exclusively Cantina figures when you add in the 3-pack, the Cantina Band Member, Muftak, Cabe, and Dr. Evazan, plus Kitik Keed Kak - as I'm lucky enough to have him. I don't count Han, Ben, or anybody who is useful in scenes elsewhere.

10 is the number of figures from Jabbas Palace, if you do not count main characters, no matter what their disguises. Just aliens exclusively from Jabba's Court. Adding the skiff guards and B'Omarr Monk, plus Amanaman you get 15.

14 is the number of figures from the Pod Race, but only 4 of them are actual podracer pilots (not counting Anakin), and 5 of them are different versions of pitdroids! I counted Aurra Sing and the Tusken Sniper, but I left out main characters like Watto and Shmi Skywalker.

I don't know. There is an awful lot of imbalance in the way the numbers stack up. I'll post more later. I can think of lots of fun queries to run on my new Star Wars database.

Darth Jax
04-20-2003, 04:22 PM
35 lukes were counted in just browsing through the database and 23 hans. check out who has the most versions? (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18532) but that includes all figures of said character from each series (excluding vintage), not just carded ones.

very disappointed that TPM has more characters made than ROTJ and ESB together. no wonder everyone's sick of prequel characters and yearns for more classic trilogy figs.

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-20-2003, 05:16 PM
wow that is disturbing that TPM has more that ROTJ and ESB together, with ROTJ being my favorite this is saddening...

Jargo
04-20-2003, 05:26 PM
You discounted a head variant over a hologram accessory? that's nuts! So therefore by discounteing things you've screwed up already. If you count a mere accessory then you have to count in the head variants because by definition those are new sculpts. Not simply a repaint like the security droid but actual hard sculpting differences. This is totally flawed as a system tycho.

Turbowars
04-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Yeah, when I was reading I thought the head variations should be listed not some of those lame pack-ins. Tycho you must really be bored bro. Go and dye some eggs;)

Jerjerrod
04-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Yes, you should count each individual figure, like 2 Jawas, 2 Ugnaughts, each Imperial Officer variation, Gonk Droid, children, etc, which are full figures that you own, but you shouldn't count stuff like holo leia, salacious crumb, and Interrogation droids, and mouse droids, which are really only accessories. You'll find it less of a headache omitting those. :)

stillakid
04-21-2003, 12:15 AM
So that's what you've been up to, Tycho. ;)

Very impressive thus far. It's interesting to read the varying opinions about how to count this stuff up.

My own point of view is that packaging-be-damned. I could care less how these things get wrapped up and sold to me. What really matters is who and what I have in front of me after they're all out on display.

So given that standard, every figure is fair game and should be counted equally. The Interrogation Droid is a droid in and of itself, so it should be counted as such. The Mynock is a "beast," so it should be counted as such. Simple repackaging of a previous figure is nothing more than a new wrapper, but a new head or new articulation is worthy of being counted as a new figure.

Doing it any other way gives rise to problems, particularly in the case of something like Aunt Beru and the service droid. The Droid isn't an accessory. I suppose if you leave it carded, you might be tempted to call it that, but once free of the plastic bondage, it's clearly a droid worthy of socializing with all the other droids around the Sandcrawler.

My own project hopefully will be a visual listing which will show me which characters have been made and how many of each, though the capabilities of Tycho's program are impressive nonetheless. :)

In regards to the figures themselves, Hasbro is clearly aiming the majority of their efforts at the Prequels. This despite the fact that there is still a lot to mine from the Original Trilogy. If Hasbro keeps this ratio up, and the current non-movie-year trend continues in the post Episode III era, we'll never see a completed Cantina or Palace despite this extension of the contract.

RussUAE
04-21-2003, 12:56 AM
All I can say is that statistically there are nowhere near enough Amidalas! :D

stillakid
04-21-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by RussUAE
All I can say is that statistically there are nowhere near enough Amidalas! :D

I agree wholeheartedly with that! If any character was "designed" for multiple action figures, it has been Amidala/Padme from Ep I and II. Where in tarnation are all of them?

Tycho
04-21-2003, 02:06 AM
I liked and agreed with a lot of the critiques to my system that were provided here.

Emperor Jargo et. all are right, the head variations should be counted as new figures. We all wanted them so bad for our dioramas, and it's so cool that Hasbro is doing some of them!
But Stillakid is also right: pack-ins like the Interrogator Droid are 'characters' and we'd all want one if Vader didn't come with it, and so on. Someone noted Aunt Beru comes with a full-size droid, too. Plus all the pitdroids are different.

So as I go back, I'm keeping the pack-ins.

I also want to keep the Leia Holo that comes with Artoo-Deeto.

Look at it this way: a lot of characters appear as holograms in the Star Wars trilogy and could be cool figures.

Some are full-size and could make cool figures, like:

Luke Jedi Holo from Jabba's Palace
Darth Sidious holo
Darth Maul holo
Nute Gunray Holo
Senator Palpatine holo from Amidala's throne room
(and more I'm sure...)

Some are small-sized but had speaking lines:

Obi-Wan hologram that comes with the Jedi Council 3-pack
Leia Holo that comes with R2-D2
Darth Vader holo (that could come with General Veers Hoth Gear)
Mace Windu holo that could come with an Anakin Skywalker figure
Nute Gunray and Rune Haako holo that could come with an AAT tank
Rodian majordomo holo that could come with Palpatine's desk
Sio Bibble holo that could come with Padme (handmaiden)

So I think the holograms should all count - there's even more I forgot to list.

Next, in light of the amount of TPM and AOTC figures, the lack of Padme Amidala figures (5 still missing from TPM and like 14 missing from AOTC) is ridiculous. Padme has wonderful costumes, and they'd really make nice action figures for non-alien / non-troop builder figures.

QUESTION: should all 4 BattleDroid paint schemes be counted?

We had clean, combat dirty, blasted, and lightsaber sliced. I definitely bought and used them accordingly in my scenes, so I'm inclined to say "yes."

Now there's 2 more Imperial Officer head sculpts since the POTJ one. That much we've seen proof of.

Are there 1 or 2 more Rebel Fleet Troopers since this figure's POTJ version? (2 say some recent reports, but it that just wishful thinking? Paint changes, not intentional variations, I mean).

I cannot count Teebo and Eeth Koth's repacks as new figures because nothing's changed. But one of Yoda's hands was altered to hold his lightsaber on the Council chair version, right?

I DID count the Tusken Raider child as a figure, separately from its mother.

I'll add the red battle droid as yet another figure.

Both Endor Soldiers get counted (new versions, goatee and clean shaven)

When I put exclusives like Oola in, I think Salacious SHOULD count - he's a character in the SW universe in his own right.

What about the Cantina Band Members? One figure, or 5???

With the Sandtrooper Troop-Builder set, I count 3 instead of 4, because the black-patch one is a repeat of the POTJ one, right? The white or grey are not repeats of the previous grey (Dewback) or white (cardboard cantina), right? I know the orange did not look like it was the POTF2 version from 1997, correct?

Your opinions are appreciated.

Tycho
04-21-2003, 02:59 AM
UPDATE:

year........................# of carded figures (counting cards only)

2002..........................62 !!!

Jargo
04-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Tycho there are definately two new heads for the rebel fleet trooper. I know cuz I got them all.

I still say the mini holograms don't count but the large ones obviously do. Fair game to include the droids like maul's darkeye probe and the patrol droid from the sandtrooper even. They are fully molded items which can be used in a very active way. The mini holograms are just chunks of blue plastic with no real detail to speak of and if you include those you have to include the green gorgs from Jabba glob and the fish from swimmy Jar Jar.

Salacious from the Oola set should be included because he's a fully realised sculpt and the one from Amanaman has a resculpted head, turned to a different angle. His tail is made differently too.

Sandtroopers I would count all four. they all have clean armor not the POTJ dirty look and all have different pauldrons. The POTJ one had a dark grey pauldron not black so all are new colors to the sandtrooper. Regarding their white and grey POTF counterparts, the sculpt is different so they must count as new figures of the same character. Same with the red/orange pauldron.

Cantina band member is one figure not five. He just had five accessories.

Did you count the pack-in EPI battle droid from the exclusives? You only need count him once because he was the same in every set. but he's a carded variant all the same, different sculpt to the regular BD's.

How about the yellow clean up droid from the EPI accessory sets?

evenflow
04-21-2003, 08:06 AM
Nice work though.

stillakid
04-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Tycho

Yes, absolutely. Size matters not. A hologram is just as much a character as a flesh and blood one. "Leia hologram" speaks as much as "Sidious hologram" does. I don't see what the difference is beyond centimeters. :confused:

We had clean, combat dirty, blasted, and lightsaber sliced. I definitely bought and used them accordingly in my scenes, so I'm inclined to say "yes."
This is a tough gray area, but I'm with you and say 'yes.' Just as the Rebel Fleet Trooper came in two flavors, one for the ceremony and one for combat, there are definitely different uses possible for the variety of paint jobs on the Battle Droids.

I cannot count Teebo and Eeth Koth's repacks as new figures because nothing's changed. But one of Yoda's hands was altered to hold his lightsaber on the Council chair version, right?

Yikes. Does one hand alteration count as a wholesale figure change? I vote no on that one. But it's in the same ballpark as how to count the different Ponda Baba's. All are essentially the same "guy," but have a variety of poses and "abilities." I think that a personal judgment call comes into play and an across the board rule can't be applied. So "New Yoda" no, Ponda Baba Family, yes.

I DID count the Tusken Raider child as a figure, separately from its mother.
As it should be! :)

When I put exclusives like Oola in, I think Salacious SHOULD count - he's a character in the SW universe in his own right.
Of course. See my comments about packaging above.

What about the Cantina Band Members? One figure, or 5???
Hmm, I've thought about this one many times myself. I think if you actually place a different instrument in each of their hands, then the judgment call would be to say yes, they are different figures. We'd have the same problem if they had released the counterpart to Duros.

stillakid
04-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I still say the mini holograms don't count but the large ones obviously do. Fair game to include the droids like maul's darkeye probe and the patrol droid from the sandtrooper even. They are fully molded items which can be used in a very active way. The mini holograms are just chunks of blue plastic with no real detail to speak of and if you include those you have to include the green gorgs from Jabba glob and the fish from swimmy Jar Jar. This is why I divide my "collection" into action figures and beasts. The swimmy things and non-sentient aliens are put into the "beast" column. Leia hologram is an actual character despite the size. If Leia hologram was counted as a mere accessory, would a Jedi-Luke hologram from ROTJ be counted as the same even though it was 6 feet tall?

Tycho
04-21-2003, 12:49 PM
They'd make the Luke articulated and sell him on a card by himself, or maybe as a Return of the Jedi anniversary set with a fully-poseable R2-D2.

Holograms can get really scary, because in actual scale, that is if Darth Vader is 6 feet and 9 inches tall or whatever, the Emperor's hologram from ESB would be 40 feet tall.

That is: use something 4 times larger than a 12" figure of Palpatine to communicate with Vader when your 3 3/4" Vader is in his meditation chamber. An oversized Gentle-Giants bust would work, if it was an Ian McDiarmid life-size one :rolleyes:

And I agree with Stillakid, sentience, or semi-sentience should be the key factor in deciding whether something gets counted, like the hanger droid that Emperor Jargo brought up, versus JarJar's fish he comes with.

I can see that one could literally go nuts figuring out how to categorize their SW collection!

Jargo
04-21-2003, 01:37 PM
Which is why there is no one complete list. :) And arguments regarding any one list will range as long and as vehemently as the greedo vs han debacle. Or indeed the han hoth coat color thing.

Well I view all beasties as a figure regardless of the size. The only thing I don't count at all is mini holograms. Or figures molded into vehicles. Although i can see that some would count those as a single figure anyway.

Do you count the gungan from the falumpaset and ammo wagon as a single figure or just part of the ammo wagon? Luke's x-wing with sfx, is luke a real figure or just a moving part? I know they aren't carded figures but i'm curious about how people categorise things. I say they're just moving parts btw.

Fourty feet for the Emperor hologram? isn't it just his head? And don't we see it from high angles mostly? And if vader spends the whole scene kneeling he looks smaller in relation to the hologram than he actually was. Hmmm, off topic again.

I still reckon someone should drag an official list out of Hasbro/Kenner. Geez, they must have a record somewhere of everything that has been slapped on a card and churned out. Very tardy business if they haven't.

Tycho
04-21-2003, 01:42 PM
25 - figures from ANH in the vintage collection. I counted what movie they first appeared in, like the TIE Pilot and Luke Stormtrooper, not what cardback they came out on.

29 - figures from ESB in the vintage collection!

48 - figures from ROTJ in the vintage collection. I counted Jabba the Hutt since he's sentient, and Salacious, and the Max Rebo Band.

Hmmm. We had 5 more figures from Return of the Jedi back in the vintage days, than we do now! (mostly due to the Ewoks, and the Imperial Dignitaries can't be on the list yet, since they aren't out yet). We're actually doing better than that, since I haven't counted Rebel Pilots and what-not. This is mostly a carded figure comparison list.

For A New Hope, our modern collection has kicked some butt! We've got 40 more figures (just carded!) than we did back in the day.

Classic Star Wars really needs to concentrate on "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" - the latter which it will strongly next year.

Prequel Star Wars needs to add a lot of Podracers, Senators, Separatist leaders, and especially figures of Padme Amidala.

Jargo
04-21-2003, 01:49 PM
I noticed the lack of ESB characters myself because when i started making my star park avatars I mostly used the action figures for reference and realised how few for ESB I ended up with. But the movie doesn't have a great number of characters anyway. Just subtle variations on a theme. different faces in the same regimental uniforms. It's not that great as far as interesting designs go. Hence the fact that ROTJ was full of muppets and bright colors.

LTBasker
04-21-2003, 02:24 PM

Look at it this way: a lot of characters appear as holograms in the Star Wars trilogy and could be cool figures.

Some are full-size and could make cool figures, like:

Luke Jedi Holo from Jabba's Palace
Darth Sidious holo
Darth Maul holo
Nute Gunray Holo
Senator Palpatine holo from Amidala's throne room
(and more I'm sure...)

Some are small-sized but had speaking lines:

Obi-Wan hologram that comes with the Jedi Council 3-pack
Leia Holo that comes with R2-D2
Darth Vader holo (that could come with General Veers Hoth Gear)
Mace Windu holo that could come with an Anakin Skywalker figure
Nute Gunray and Rune Haako holo that could come with an AAT tank
Rodian majordomo holo that could come with Palpatine's desk
Sio Bibble holo that could come with Padme (handmaiden)

So I think the holograms should all count - there's even more I forgot to list.

So what about the holo chess pieces? They're the same just smaller, however I think stuff like the mini-holos are just small statues, they can't count as figures because they're not. It's different when you count a small droid accessory as it's own figure, because they really do come in small sizes. The full-size Qui and Maul holos I would only count as figures by technicality that they are the right size of regular figures. Now the Darth Sidious hologram is definitely a figure.

No, only two. The three white ones count as one, while the dirty version was alot more different than just some silver streak. Since it can't double for one of the white ones without being highly noticeable it doesn't even look like them, then it's much like the different head molds, just on a lower scale. See the white ones are versions, but the dirty one is a definite variant due significant change. Here's the Battle Droids that should have their own:
-TPM Clean/Sliced/Shot = White BD
-TPM Dirty
-Battle Droid Commander
-STAP Rider
-Mini-AAT Pilot Droid
-Hong Exclusive/Generator Complex Playset
-Split-in-two Battle Droid
-Split-in-two Battle Droid (red - Deluxe Mace Variant)
-Security Droid
-Boomer Damage Battle Droid
-Split apart Battle Droid (Deluxe 3PO)
-Saga Battle Droid (not a mere Security Droid repaint, a resculpt)
-Arena Conflict Security Droid repaint
-Saga Red Battle Droid

14 Battle Droids. Yeah you could technically not count the Commander as a Battle Droid but same goes for the Security Droid, and Pilot Droid but they still are. The difference between the Mace Battle Droids and the 3PO Battle Droid is significant to count as a new figure as it doesn't split in half, but rather at the limbs.

I think Yoda should be counted. He was significantly changed between retooling in the hands and a new paintjob to be an AOTC version, true the head doesn't match but we've seen inaccurate jobs on heads before intentional or not. Plus I dunno about yours but my AOTC Council Yoda sits better in his chair than TPM Council Yoda. :D

Jargo
04-21-2003, 02:32 PM
You missed the Theed hangar playset split apart battle droid. :)

The theed generator complex playset / asian exclusive isn't the same as the theed hangar playset one. So there's fifteen droids according to your listing. But i disagree with you and reckon that the four EPI battle droid variants count singly because each came carded seperately. Obviously Hasbro considers them a true variant or they would have put two in cinema scene with a gungan or something. So i reckon the battle droid foursome count as four figures in their own rights.

LTBasker
04-21-2003, 02:59 PM
No the Theed Hangar was the same as Mace's white BD, I just forgot to put the Theed Hangar tag beside it, sorry.

The generator complex/asian 2-pack exclusive IS listed seperately from the break-apart BD.

How do you know they would've made a cinema scene though? This is Hasbro, that would've been a needed army builder Cinema Scene, blasphemous to them! ;)

Tycho
04-21-2003, 03:05 PM
That's why I started with carded figures only.

I will add the following, and probably in this order, too:

exclusives
pilot figures that are packed-in
playset pack-ins

and no, the F/X x-wing and stuff like the Cruise Missle Trooper don't count as figures really.

But I hardly seeing Hasbro making a POSEABLE holographic Leia at the accurate size to the figures. I think the one with R2 is as close as we are going to get. The chess set characters weren't sentient, but Leia definitely was!

"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope!"

stillakid
04-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Do you count the gungan from the falumpaset and ammo wagon as a single figure or just part of the ammo wagon? Luke's x-wing with sfx, is luke a real figure or just a moving part? I know they aren't carded figures but i'm curious about how people categorise things. I say they're just moving parts btw.
Same for the Cruisemissile Trooper. I say "no." It's a psuedo figure, but not really. Same reason you wouldn't count the R2 head on the vintage style Xwing as a droid.

I still reckon someone should drag an official list out of Hasbro/Kenner. Geez, they must have a record somewhere of everything that has been slapped on a card and churned out. Very tardy business if they haven't.
In a manner of speaking, I'm working on it. :)

Originally posted by LTBasker
So what about the holo chess pieces? They're the same just smaller, however I think stuff like the mini-holos are just small statues, they can't count as figures because they're not. It's different when you count a small droid accessory as it's own figure, because they really do come in small sizes. The full-size Qui and Maul holos I would only count as figures by technicality that they are the right size of regular figures. Now the Darth Sidious hologram is definitely a figure.
The Halo Chess Pieces is something I hadn't thought about. I'd be prone to add them as an accessory. Why? Because we never see them as "real" creatures in any other way. In most cases (except for one Star Destroyer commander in ESB), the holographic "likenesses" also appear as flesh and blood characters.

Yes, the mini-halos are small statues, but the big ones have just as much articulation making them BIG statues. The line has to be drawn somewhere and I'm not sure at exactly what point on the ruler it could be fairly made. Which is why I've gone with the sentient thing and the flesh and blood designation.

I think Yoda should be counted. He was significantly changed between retooling in the hands and a new paintjob to be an AOTC version, true the head doesn't match but we've seen inaccurate jobs on heads before intentional or not. Plus I dunno about yours but my AOTC Council Yoda sits better in his chair than TPM Council Yoda. :D
That's the other "problem." How much, or how little, retooling constitutes a "new" figure? I think that it takes more than a simple paint job (ie, a darker shade of yellow). If the head is different, if the pose is different, if the overall color scheme has changed, then it's a brand new figure. The simple "errors" and such don't count.

Again, forget the "cards" or other packaging. It's what's on the inside that counts. ;) So each battle droid that is significantly different from another should count as one. I mean, if you were to use the "carded" thing as a benchmark, then Hasbro could easily have released the Figrn Dan figure five times, one instrument to a card. So you'd have to buy the same figure five times in order to get the five instruments. But (wisely perhaps) they found it cheaper and easier to just give us 4 free instruments per guy even though technically, by adding the instrument to the figure (which looks identical to the one next to it) it creates a whole new character.

TheDarthVader
04-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Are you going to count figures that are unique but sold only with vehicles/beasts? Will you count the beasts? Here is a small list...(hope it helps)--List is for classic trilogy only!!!! ;)
BEASTS W/CHARACTERS
1. new tusken raider w/ bantha 2. new luke w/ rancor 3. ronto w/ jawa(not new fig(?)) 4. sandtrooper(not new fig (??)) w/ dewback 5. jabba w/ solo(not new fig) 6. tauntaun w/ solo (not new fig) 7. tauntaun w/ luke (not new fig) 8. wampa w/ luke (not new)

figures w/ diorama unique solo (new fig) sandtrooper (not new?)

Vehicles w/ unique figures 1. A-wing pilot 2. AT-AT commander (veers?) 3. falcon case w/ unique wedge 4. falcon case with scanning crew member 5. luke (from speeder bike) 6. scout trooper (from speeder bike) 7. leia (from speeder bike) 8. skiff jedi luke 9. y-wing pilot 10. b-wing pilot 11. wal-mart snowspeeder w/ luke and new dack ralter 12. At-St Paploo 13. TRU x wing with new slime covered r2d2
There. :)

Jargo
04-21-2003, 04:58 PM
LT, how can you say that the Theed hangar BD is the same as the one that came with Mace Windu? It's a completely different sculpt. It works the same way yes but it's a completely new figure that comes with Mace. The playset one is bigger and has thicker non articulated linms and a bigger head. The bit with the magnet in it is fatter. Definately a completely different figure sculpt. The one with mace is based on the POTJ battle droid sculpts same as all the current ones.

Sorry to sound pedantic but you made me doubt myself so i had to go double check. :)

TheDarthVader
04-21-2003, 05:19 PM
EJ, you're not going to comment on my siggy? ;) My siggy is a parody to the blue parody which is a parody to your siggy. Like it or despise it? :D

dr_evazan22
04-21-2003, 05:47 PM
[B]I'll figure out just how many carded figures there actually are when I add a category to my database to single out the "card-holders" like R4-M9, as opposed to the Mouse Droid.
[B]

Maybe when you add the category for carded or not, add another for carded more than once. You've got the Rebel trooper et al that we've been discussing, plus aren't there more coming out later from POTF2 that will now be on Saga cards? W/ the extra field added you cna do a query to find out that specific info.

LTBasker
04-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Jargo, I don't have the Theed Hangar set so I didn't have that Droid to compare it to. I thought they were the same sculpt, with the Saga version without the magnet, thanks for the correction.

LTBasker
04-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Again, forget the "cards" or other packaging. It's what's on the inside that counts. ;) So each battle droid that is significantly different from another should count as one.

Ok then, how would you consider the Commtech Stormtrooper if it was rereleased on card with no battle damage feature? This is the exact same thing. I doubt you would consider it a new figure, then you shouldn't be able to consider the other white Battle Droids different figures.

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader
EJ, you're not going to comment on my siggy? ;) My siggy is a parody to the blue parody which is a parody to your siggy. Like it or despise it? :D

LOL I wondered where you got your's from.

Jargo
04-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Parody is the sincerest form of idolatory or something. :p

This classification thing is giving me a headache.

TheDarthVader
04-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Parody is the sincerest form of idolatory or something. :p

This classification thing is giving me a headache.

Perhaps so...

I agree with that 2nd statement. It is a pain in the rear!

stillakid
04-21-2003, 09:31 PM
Ok then, how would you consider the Commtech Stormtrooper if it was rereleased on card with no battle damage feature? This is the exact same thing. I doubt you would consider it a new figure, then you shouldn't be able to consider the other white Battle Droids different figures.

This is why drawing up hard and fast rules doesn't work well here and doesn't work well in society. :) A certain amount of personal judgment has to take place when dealing with specific circumstances.

See, I look at it this way, if I've got two identically sculpted figures, yet one has a splotch of paint on it which suggests that it (the character) has been shot dead, then it is reasonable to count that as a new figure in my opinion. Take Greedo for instance. In the film, one second he's sitting down chatting, the next he's got a hole blown in him. If Hasbro decides to release one version that is "clean," and then one version which is identical save for the black "blast mark effect," then those are two different figures in my mind.

So a gaggle of Battle Droids or Stormtroopers with varying degrees of "battle damage" constitute "individuals" all of whom experienced something different on the battlefield. One may have been sliced, another shot, and another Force Pushed, while still another sat in the office and watched it unfold on CNN, so he'd be "clean."

Granted, the paint issue is really getting down to the nitty gritty and I'll be the first to admit that there are some gray areas here, but in my own personal universe, this is my reasoning. :)

Tycho
04-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22
Maybe when you add the category for carded or not, add another for carded more than once. You've got the Rebel trooper et al that we've been discussing, plus aren't there more coming out later from POTF2 that will now be on Saga cards? W/ the extra field added you cna do a query to find out that specific info.

Good point. Now Hasbro does NOT distinguish the difference between Imperial Officer heads in their carded figure count.

On the back of my blonde haired Imperial Officer, the card has the designation "02/55" for the 55th figure of 2002.

The original POTJ figure was released in 2001, and has a different head than the new brown-haired one. So the brunette and the blonde both share the designation "02/55" by Hasbro's way of counting them. By the same token, so does the new Endor Rebel Soldier, first released with a goatee with Orm Free Taa, and later issued clean-shaven with Ephant Mon's wave.

So to get a figure count there, I'd still say I'd count 02/55 and two more Imperial Officers, because off their cards, they look different - that's the whole point. If you take a POTJ Teebo and a Saga Teebo off the cards, you won't be able to tell which is which once you put the Saga figure's accessories on correctly.

Tycho
04-21-2003, 09:58 PM
296 is the number of primary carded figures, that are single-card holders (that is Wicket counted once, for both him and Logray), and all the independently distinguishable figures like the 3 Rebel Fleet Troopers of various headsculpts were all counted, as were the 4 types of original TPM battle droids.

Therefore it looks like the new Han Hoth, Yoda w. youngling, or the new Chewbacca will actually mark the 300th carded figure!

Or it could be Padme's Wedding figure, Wat Tambler, Coleman Trebor, or Ashla & Jempa's two-pack.

But there's 287 if you are not counting changes in the headsculpts, or anything different but for the title Hasbro has given to the figure. (this does not count re-packs, like allowing Eeth Koth to count twice. He doesn't.)

If you average the cost of SW figures out over the years, and got a price of $5.75, and along with that, multiplied it by 287, the minimal amount of money you might have invested in a *complete* carded collection is $1650.25, but we've all probably spent way more than that! (as a diorama builder, raising armies cost me nearly $1000 on April 23, last year. OK, so it was more like $700, but that's in one Midnight Madness night and did not include 35 Sneak Preview CloneTroopers I'd bought earlier).

TheDarthVader
04-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Well then how does Habro make Boba Fett 300? And if you figured that out, the question still remains, which is figure 400?

LTBasker
04-21-2003, 11:37 PM
"Ok people, we need a way to charge twice for the new Boba Fett!"
"Just give people a reason to buy two?"
"No too clever.."
"Push the price up! But now why?"
"Hmm... it's the 50th Anniversary of Revenge of the Jedi?"
"No no, we haven't controlled the world long enough, they won't buy it!"
"I know, we call it the 300th Figure!"
"But it's not-" *employees gets a (Kamino hasn't been thought up yet) saber dart in the neck*

They really just thought up a buncha of figs until it they were able to call Boba the 300th figure, they didn't really do any full tallying up or anything, as they knew they were likely already past 300.

Tycho
04-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Boba Fett was numbered the 300th figure because Hasbro counted:

1) about 100 vintage figures (there are 100 if you count blue Snaggletoothe since he was a completely different sculpt, and omit Jabba the Hutt and Salacious Crumb).

2) Fett was a POTJ 'deluxe' figure, and there were 168 carded figures at the time that POTJ started, the latest being Episode One "Sio Bibble wave" and just prior to "CommTech Stormtrooper wave," as we are talking about the latter half of 2000 here.

3) In addition to the carded vintage and modern figures that totaled about 268 together, Hasbro counted the minted coin figures, deluxe figures, pilot figures, exclusive figures, and f/x figures, and beast-pack figures and then some to get 300.

The actual 100th figure might've been Vintage Yak Face, in spite of cardbacks that discount earlier R2 and Threepio versions, and omit Blue Snaggletoothe.

The 150th CARDED figure was around the Naboo Royal Guard / Darth Sidious Holo wave.

The 200th CARDED figure was around the "Lando POTJ, Tessek, R2-Q5, JarJar Binks Tatooine" wave.

The 250th CARDED figure was around the "Clone Trooper Captain, Zam Wessel, Count Dooku, Anakin Hanger Duel, Yoda Hanger Duel wave."

They will hit the 300th CARDED figure with Han Hoth, Chewie Mynock Hunt, and Yoda with Youngling figures - right about now.

TheDarthVader
04-22-2003, 01:22 PM
That is cool. Hasbro probably did lie, LT. ;) And they did find a way to make us buy two... .0100 and .0200 packaging. GEEZ!
Thanks for the "correct" information Tycho!! :)

Tycho
04-22-2003, 02:28 PM
The next to latest Yoda (Council Chair / lightsaber) is around the 400th CARDED figure, that includes counting both Jawas on the single card, etc. Then I revised some, counting the different colored Battle Droids etc.

So I guess the REVISED milestone figures are:

Luke (vintage)
R2-D2 (sensorscope - vintage reaches 50)
YakFace (vintage reaches 100)
Anakin fighter pilot (total reaches 150)
Queen Amidala Theed Throne (total reaches 200)
and the Saga Royal Guardsman is at about where the total reaches 250
Han Bespin is around 300 amongst carded figures (counting everything)
Jango Fett (Kamino) is around the 350th
Anakin Tatooine Attack is around the 400th figure

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 04:03 PM
HUH?

Jerjerrod
04-22-2003, 11:30 PM
The actual 100th figure might've been Vintage Yak Face, in spite of cardbacks that discount earlier R2 and Threepio versions, and omit Blue Snaggletoothe.

The 150th CARDED figure was around the Naboo Royal Guard / Darth Sidious Holo wave.

Waitasecond. Wouldn't that mean there was only 50 carded figures for the whole POTF2 (Orange, green, FF, Flashback, CTC), EP1, and maybe some POTJ? That doesn't sound right. Or is it just me? :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:
:confused: :crazed:

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 11:56 PM
No that doesn't sound right.

Tycho
04-23-2003, 05:01 AM
Yeah, I miscounted. Here's what Hasbro would list for CARDED figures (in order of release, starting from vintage):

[list=1]

VINTAGE

1978 - ANH

Luke
Han
Leia
Chewie
Obi-Wan
R2-D2
C-3PO
Darth Vader
Stormtrooper