PDA

View Full Version : Alien Rerelease for Halloween (Merged)

James Boba Fettfield
04-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Alien (20th Century Fox): Although the film will not celebrate the 25th Anniversary of its release until May 25, 2004, Fox has scheduled a wide reissue of the film for Halloween, October 31. No word yet on whether director Ridley Scott will be reincorporating deleted footage or not.
Film Jerk (http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article470.html)

Not much to discuss on my part. It's good to see a classic (a good classic, none of that artsy fartsy classic stuff) get brought back for today's audience.

scruffziller
04-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Hopefully they won't be replacing any guns with walkie talkies or replacing metal eating acid with Nickelodean slime.:frus:

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Wow, no kidding! I am sooooo there. That's the only one I haven't seen on the big screen on account of being 9 or so when it was first released.

I wonder what the deleted scenes are about.

Anakin2121
04-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Pretty much every scene that was shot can be found on the 1999 DVD of Alien. :)

Darth Jax
04-22-2003, 12:11 AM
since hollywood can't really come up with any good ideas for new movies, the best they can do is churn out sequels. every few years just keep re-releasing (for a very limited run) some of the classics. alien(s), jaws, SW, etc are just meant to be enjoyed on the big screen. i hate to say it but even those awful chick flicks, ie. titanic, would find a market. while i personally won't be dragged along to the chick flicks, i'm all for Alien.

Exhaust Port
04-22-2003, 03:29 AM
This is great! I will definately be dragging the girlfriend to this release.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-25-2003, 12:54 PM
I remember in 1993 for Halloween of that year, one of the local theatres played all 3 Alien movies back to back. Not rereleases or anything, no new footage, but still, it was so cool...all three, back to back! I had looked forward to it for about 6 months and then my current "love interest"at the time kept me from going :mad: so I'm DEFINITELY going to this rerelease, to make up for missing out before! :(

Beast
04-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Sounds like it will coincide with the release of the 9-Disc Alien Quidology DVD boxset. I will definatly be going to see this in the theater though, since I wasn't allowed when it came out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
04-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Sounds like it will coincide with the release of the 9-Disc Alien Quidology DVD boxset.

It'll probably cost a quidillion dollars too! :( ;)

But for seriousness here LOL if that's possible at SSG ;) is there really going to be a 9 disk Alien boxset (I know they pulled the 4 box set and the singles from the shelves) or am I being gully-bull again?? :)

I picked up the first two and I was really disappointed that James Cameron didn't do a dirctor's commentary. I live for and love director's commentaries on dvd's, it's one of the special type features that go along with making dvd's ya know!?

Beast
04-25-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
It'll probably cost a quidillion dollars too! :( ;)

But for seriousness here LOL if that's possible at SSG ;) is there really going to be a 9 disk Alien boxset (I know they pulled the 4 box set and the singles from the shelves) or am I being gully-bull again?? :)

I picked up the first two and I was really disappointed that James Cameron didn't do a dirctor's commentary. I live for and love director's commentaries on dvd's, it's one of the special type features that go along with making dvd's ya know!?
Actually I've heard that the price is gonna run around maybe $90-$100. So you should be able to snag it for around $70-$80 on pre-order. And trust me, I would never joke about DVD"s. :)

James Cameron typically never does commentaries, but on the Upcoming "T2 Ultimate Edition" and "Aliens" from the 9-disc set he will be doing one. I guess he has the time for it now. Here's the currently known specs from the UK's Empire Magazine. This info was reported by the UK DVD site, DVD Times. Don't take anything as set in stone yet, but I'm watching for updates. :)

Alien Quadrilogy – New rumours or solid facts?
Posted by Dave Foster on Friday, 28 March 2003 at 14:34 GMT

The May issue of Empire magazine arrived on my doorstep this morning and within their own DVD section they have early details on the Alien Quadrilogy DVD Box Set that we first reported on in this earlier news article. Empire were fortunate enough to speak with Fox's Sven Davison regarding the 9-disc box set and uncovered a few early details - here is a summary of what they were told...

- All new cuts of Alien, Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection that include deleted material seamlessly branched into the existing films.
- Aliens will offer a choice of the Theatrical Cut (previously unseen on DVD) and the extended Special Edition.
- Alien 3 will be the so-called 'Extended Work Print' (Fincher will not allow it to be called a 'Directors Cut' and presumably has nothing to do with this release). This version will potentially incorporate much of the deleted footage that Fincher shot and was then subsequently cut from the Theatrical release, and could result in a film nearly twice the originals length.
- All four directors look set to provide audio commentaries along with production crewmembers.
- Each film will offer Cast Commentaries (participants unspecified).
- Approximately 4 hours of bonus material on each of the films bonus discs including featurettes, deleted scenes, documentaries, multi-angle scene comparisons, full screenplays, trailers, art galleries and DVD-ROM material.
- Ninth disc will contain feature-length documentaries including the 68-minute Alien Legacy documentary featured on the current box sets 5th disc, and the recent 2001 BBC 75-minute documentary hosted by Mark Kermode. Also featured is material on the Aliens comic book series and DVD-ROM material.

Most of the above is very similar to what Canadian e-tailer DV-Depot posted in early February, right down to the labelling of the 'Alien Evolution' documentary as a BBC production when it was shown on Channel 4 and produced by Noble's Gate Scotland. The information posted by DV-Depot was swiftly discounted by Fox which begs the question - is the above information accurate? Only time will tell and I will personally be awaiting a press release before I consider replacing my existing set.

A September release date is currently being touted for the R1 release and here is another look at the box artwork from a Fox promotional leaflet.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
04-25-2003, 07:48 PM
WOW! I'm speechless and drooling!

The artwork on the box is great too!

LOL@"I would never joke about dvd's!" I'll definitely remember that! :)

Thanks for that info, I honestly had no idea what was going on with the Alien series except that all of it was coming off the shelf for something new! And I guess I'll be able to afford it to boot ;)

I especially look forward to the commentaries! Dang I love those things.

JediCole
08-27-2003, 02:59 PM
I was rather surprised that no one had beat me to the punch on this one. I just found out that "Alien", the first film, would be rereleased on the big screen October 31, 2003! I was about 12 when this came out and my parents took me to see it knowing full well I would love it! I haven't seen it on the big screen since then. What a treat this will be. Reportedly there will be additional footage from director Ridley Scott, though I do not know its nature. I only found out about the rerelease by virtue of Diamond Comic Distributors and Dark Horse Comics offering special pricing to retailers on some DH Alien merchandise from the past. If anyone can punch up the info I've provided with links to more information, please do so.

Beast
08-27-2003, 03:22 PM
I thought I posted something about it around here somewhere. And there are plans to possibly re-release Aliens next year. As for the deleted scenes being restored to the film, it's supposedly the 'Alien Nest/Egg' scene where Ripley finds the remains of the Captain still alive, and one of the crew being changed into an egg. I'll see if I can find the rest of the info. :)

Edit: Ok, it wasn't me that posted the info. But it was posted about. And I'll still see if I can find more info. I know I saw it somewhere. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18981

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-27-2003, 03:39 PM
From Avsforum.com:

So this re-release of the beautiful digital print ALIEN The Directors Cut, is this theatrical re-release a fall out of “THE EXORCIST” or is it something you wanted to do for 20 years?

Ridley: No, it’s Fox [20th Century], it’s a Fox thing. They wanted to do it, I mean they came in with the idea of re-release. I think they just look back at certain kinds of films like THE EXORCIST as only being seen once properly when you think about it. It's all about the quality of the film.

Have you gone back and added scenes?

Ridley: Yeah, there are some scenes that we took out earlier because the dynamics were correct, at the end of the movie the thing is really flying and we put this scene in but it kept coming to a halt. But it was a pretty good scene?

Can you elaborate a little bit about the scene?

Ridley: It’s a scene lovingly called “THE NEST.” Which is what happens when the bodies… Brett [Harry Dean Stanton], Dallas [Tom Skerritt] was taken, there in…and she [Sigourney Weaver] finds them, so there’s that, and its pretty ugh!! It’s pretty bad. And one of them is still alive.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
08-27-2003, 04:42 PM
I remember reading the novelization years back and reading the nest scene. I won't post any further spoilers about who's in there and which one was left alive and their physical condition, but it sounded really good and creepy.

There was also stuff in the book regarding some background on the characters, an extended waking up from hypersleep scene, and something about the alien being in the walls in the food recycler/replicator and Ripley trying to hunt it down.

It's been years since I've read it so I could be slightly off on the details.

Heck, they could keep the movie as is and I'd still go and see it.

mrmiller
08-27-2003, 08:54 PM
So is this the version that will be comming out in the new Alien Box set?

=MATT=

Exhaust Port
08-27-2003, 09:37 PM
This is great! I'm really hoping to drag the girlfriend to this movie. She hasn't seen either of the first 2 at all so it will be a thrill to see Alien for the first time on the big screen. I really hope we see Aliens get the same treatment for it's anniversary. :D

Beast
09-06-2003, 01:27 PM
You can view the trailer for the new Director's Cut now. So don't waste your money to see Jeepers Creepers 2, just to see the cool Alien trailer. Just download it. Looks great, can't wait for Halloween. :)

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/436/436969p1.html?fromint=1

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
09-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Wow I've gotta start keeping up more on the latest DVD announcements. This sounds to good to be true. :cool:

I just saw the Alien Legacy documentary last week on AMC for the first time (since I didn't by the last box set because I own all of these on Laserdisc) and was really impressed with the quality and I'm glad to see its been incorporated into this set.

I'm probably most excited to see this extended work print of Alien 3. Though this is probably the least popular of the series its certainly the one that could be expanded upon the most. I remember being shocked after seeing it in the theater the first time and I left wanting more especially in the area of Newt and Hicks tragic fate. Over the years my appreciation for this film has grown and I find it's extremely dark and brutal take an the Alien story very daring and creative.

Looks like I finally have a good reason to retire my LaserDisc boxsets.

Beast
09-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Actually, I believe the program on AMC is 'The Alien Saga' which is not included on the boxset. But is getting a seperate release next month by image. 'The Alien Legacy' which was the bonus disc you could send away for with the purchase of the original Boxset, will be a part of the 9-Disc set though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
09-06-2003, 08:41 PM
I had looked forward to it for about 6 months and then my current "love interest"at the time kept me from going :mad:

Whoa.. I was shocked when I saw that was you that said it Deoxy. I mean usually you hear about a girl stopping a guy from watching horror movies or something, it was just kinda an odd change of pace. :D

Shouldn't that 9-disc set be called a Tri-Trilogy? erm.. Quadrilogy would be 4 3-disc sets wouldn't it?

plasticfetish
09-06-2003, 09:17 PM
So, I'm confused about this set.
There's 2 disks per film. Does that mean we get a theatrical cut + a "special" version of each? Or is it all "special edition" versions + a bunus disk full of extras for each film?

I'd hate to spend $100 and not get a theatrical cut of the first movie ... or any of them for that matter.

Beast
09-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Well, there's comfirmation of a Theatrical Cut of Aliens and Alien 4. No news on whether they'll include Theatrical Cuts of Alien or Alien 3. But so far it's 1 disc per film + 1 bonus disc for each film. And then a bonux disc of extras for the whole series. But they can include theatrical cuts via seemless branching on the movie discs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
09-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Actually, I believe the program on AMC is 'The Alien Saga' which is not included on the boxset. But is getting a seperate release next month by image. 'The Alien Legacy' which was the bonus disc you could send away for with the purchase of the original Boxset, will be a part of the 9-Disc set though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yes JJB I believe you are correct. Since I hadn't seen either of them I got them confused. The AMC documentary I saw was around 2hrs. and was narrated by John Hurt and was quite good.

You've gotta wonder with this box set coming out if 20th CF is trying to gauge interest in the franchise and possibly entertaining the idea of finally doing a 5th film. I know Sigourney Weaver has expressed interest if the script was right. One can only hope.

Thanks for the info. :D

Beast
09-09-2003, 08:29 PM
And now we know what has been restored to the print for the 2003 Director's Cut. It also mentions that there were five minutes cut. But no mention what those five minutes are. I can see small trims to insert the following footage being necissary. Glad to see the Transmission scene and the Quick Glimpse being restored. The Cocoon Scene will likely tick off a bunch of purists though. :)

Ridley Scott stated on Saturday (Sept. 6) at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) that four minutes and fourty-seven seconds of footage was edited back into ALIEN in order to create ALIEN: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT, but that approximately five minutes of footage was edited out of it, with the result that ALIEN: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT is twenty-six seconds shorter than the original.

With reference to the "Deleted Scenes" on the ALIEN: 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION DVD:

"Alien Transmission" is in the director's recut.

"Lambert Confronts Ripley" is in the director's recut.

"A Quick Glimpse" is in the director's recut, but not as a continuous whole - some of it appears before Brett's 'lobotomy' by the alien, and some of it appears after this.

"The Cocoon Sequence" is in the director's recut. I believe that this scene ends right before the one that begins at 1:36:21 on the ALIEN:20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION DVD. In any case, it appears after Ripley has activated the Emergency Destruction System to scuttle The Nostromo.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
09-17-2003, 11:23 PM
The official 'Alien: Director's Cut' site is up and running now. And here's the link. Not much there right now, other then the trailer and an intresting Intro. :)

http://www.alien.com/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DewMan37
09-18-2003, 05:18 PM
That is so going to pwn...you have no idea...

Exhaust Port
09-18-2003, 05:47 PM
pwn???? You're right, I have no idea.

DewMan37
09-18-2003, 10:29 PM
G33k sp33k. ;)

It's basically 'own' spelled wrong, first done by accident, but then it caught on...

Exhaust Port
09-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Thanks, it seems I'm out of the loop. :D

James Boba Fettfield
09-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Here's a little bit more news on Alien from Fangoria:

Cinescape reports that the first teaser trailer for ALIEN VS. PREDATOR will be attached to all prints of Fox’s rerelease of Ridley Scott’s original ALIEN—and that the reissue has been moved up two days, going nationwide Wednesday, October 29. Obviously the trailer will contain no footage, as the Paul W.S. Anderson-written/directed film (set for release next August) hasn’t begun shooting yet.

Exhaust Port
09-23-2003, 12:22 AM
Wow, a teaser that will contain no actual footage of the movie? I think fans have been patient enough that they could at least wait to tease us until they had some sort of footage to show.

Even though, thanks for the info JBF.

Beast
09-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Wow, a teaser that will contain no actual footage of the movie? I think fans have been patient enough that they could at least wait to tease us until they had some sort of footage to show.

Even though, thanks for the info JBF.
There have been successful teasers that use no filmed footage from the actual movie. Sometimes they can even be better then the actual movie turns out. The trailer to 'Resident Evil: Apocalypse' is pretty inventive in that regard. Though it does include some flashes of the actual movie. But there have been others in the past. Including Empire Strikes Back (and also Jedi, I believe) who had just still photos and design sketches. And they have supposedly filmed some footage for the trailer, even though principle photography hasn't started yet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
09-23-2003, 12:59 AM
You're right, it can be done but for this title I really want to be teased! Give me a glimps of something. Pllleeeaaaaaseee.......

James Boba Fettfield
10-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Dark Horizons reports:

Alien: The Director's Cut: Bad news - Fox has apparently cut the number of prints for the re-issue in the US from 1200 prints to only 350, not a good sign. Also, Ridley Scott talked about the film recently in a video interview with Apple.Com

Exhaust Port
10-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Well that just about guarantees that it's not going to be showing anywhere within 200 miles of my house. Darn.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Quicktime.com has six clips from Alien on their website. From what I remember about the movie the first five aren't different or "new" but the "Kill Me" clip is. Not very long or spectacular but it's OK.

Hellboy
10-20-2003, 08:20 PM
I just saw the trailer in the theater before seeing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was for the most part the same trailer used previously but re-edited. It did show the cocoon scene with Dallas though and at one point in the preview it claimed to be the scariest movie of all time. I don't know about that but it did look cool seeing it on the big screen for once.

AmanaMatt
10-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Can't wait for this.

Beast
10-27-2003, 05:09 AM
In honor of it's re-opening, Roger Ebert dedicated his Great Movie column to Alien on Sunday. Follow the link to read it. He certainly has a passion for this film. :)

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies/alien.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
10-27-2003, 08:49 AM
I totally agree with his review. Alien is diamond in the rough of the thousands of other sci-fi/horror movies.

Turbowars
10-28-2003, 12:22 AM
I can't wait. I didn't see it in the theater, because I was way too young , but I did see Aliens!! The THX intro was so FN loud my ears hurt! Aliens it one of my favorites. I have the Tape with all the added scenes and someone needs their *** kicked for not allowing Cameron to keep them in.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-31-2003, 10:59 AM
So I guess this is being released today. Anyone going to see it?

James Boba Fettfield
10-31-2003, 11:14 AM
It was released on Wednesday, MC.

Turbowars
11-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Saw it last night. I liked it, I knew I would. I was able to pick up on most on the added crap, but I don't know how many were added. Here's a SW reference for you guys. When the ship lands on LV#? the side of the ships cockpit looks Idenical to the top of a Y-Wing cockpit. Thought that was cool. Not much to say, because it was a re-release. I did see Chainsaw and I don't really remember the 1st one, but I enjoyed this version. That one chick is HOT!!!!

Tycho
02-09-2007, 08:00 PM
I've been through 3 Alien threads now and I haven't seen one in-depth discussion about the creatures:

1) What do aliens eat? How do they grow so fast, before they are large enough to eat prey as big as a man? We've always seen chest-bursters run away from their hosts, not consume them. Presumably they'd eat them actually. But the movies just don't show that.

2) Why do they kill? Are they intelligent or are they just animal?

3) If they were ever designed as a bio-weapon, is there something that can kill them? A bio-toxin or something that's released to wipe out all the aliens after they are used for an invasion?

4) How long will an alien live, left to its own devices? Can it starve to death? Will that one Ripley ejected into space from the Nostromo's shuttlecraft live indefinitely, just floating around there if it's never found? (Space is big).

What's up with all that?