PDA

View Full Version : Did you know who the Gorillaz actually were?

scruffziller
04-21-2003, 02:32 PM
The group that brought the awesome song "Clint Eastwood" is none other than the group BLUR. When they performed they had a sheet up with lights and cartoons so you could never see who they were. I think it is cool when musicians change their identity to try new material.

Jargo
04-21-2003, 02:40 PM
No not Blur But Damon Albarn from Blur and some other dude who i forget the name of temporarily. But it wasn't all of Blur. Didn't you recognise the voice though? Maybe i just hear Blur more over here. I twigged who it was straight off the bat. Very cool though. I prefer Gorillaz to Blur actually. Although the new Blur album sounds quite good so far. No definately prefer Gorillaz. :)

Rogue II
04-21-2003, 02:42 PM
I heard they had something to do with Blur. For some reason, I thought it was only 1 or 2 guys from Blur working with some other musician.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Ah, i see my avatar is causing Gorillaz-related posts, eh? ;)

The bassist/female vocal was Miho Hatori from Cibo Matto. The other DJ/mixing was done by Kid Koala and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. I cannot listen enough to this CD. :D

bobafrett
04-21-2003, 03:16 PM
I saw the figures pictured in a collectible toy magazine, but have yet to see them at any store. I enjoyed not knowing who they were, but curiosity killed this cat! That is cool that they would change their identity to try new material.

The Overlord Returns
04-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Dan the automator was also involved in the gorillaz project.

seth_quinn
04-21-2003, 05:33 PM
so JMG, That's where you got that avatar.

the Gorillaz were formed and are produced by Dan "The Automator" Nakamura and feature members: Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Blur's Damon Albarn, Cibo Matto's Miho Hatori, and the Tom Tom Club's Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz. the visuals are created by Jamie Hewlett of "Tank Girl" fame.

for those that haven't already, if you Ever get a chance to see them live, even if you're just a casual fan - buy the ticket!! you can thank me later. in the meantime get a hold of their dvd: phase one - celebrity take down.

supposedly the Art Asylum figures have been put on hold indefinitely and are perhaps even cancelled. if anyone does see them - at any price - please let me know immediately.

last I heard, damon was working with the rest blur on a new album, so expect the time it takes to complete and promote that before we see any new Gorillaz. [this may not be as bad as you think - damon seems to work non-stop. since the gorillaz, he did a side project with dan-ta called Loveage and the soundtrack/score for a film called "ordinary decent criminal" (UK produced film set in Ireland, with a snatch/lock, stock... style, starring Kevin Spacey)]

here's a photo of a painting of the band my gf did. btw - this image was taken before she added the final touches & clear coat and does absolutely zero justice to how incredible it looks in real life.

scruffziller
04-22-2003, 07:20 AM
I have heard that everyone who was in BLUR has gone back to being BLUR with their new album. But hopefully they will be back.

seth_quinn
04-22-2003, 08:06 AM
I thought they got rid of one of the original members recently. back in the day, you couldn't find a harder drinkin' band but damon & 2 of the other cleaned it up a little and got fed up with the forth who refused to.

seth_quinn
04-23-2003, 09:16 AM
btw - there was a remix album, two actually, G-Sides and then Space Monkeys. if you're looking for a G-fix and haven't heard stuff form either of these, you'll want to check them out. G-Sides has a hip-hop flavour and Space Monkeys has more of a reagge sound.

Huckleberry Josh
04-23-2003, 07:57 PM
His voice pretty much gave it away.I think it was cool how they did concerts though.They were playing the instruments unseen while the cartoon band members were on a giant screen.

seth_quinn
04-24-2003, 03:17 AM
guess Blur is further along with the new album than I thought, heard the new single in the car on my way to hockey tonight. not bad at all.

Jargo
04-24-2003, 07:38 AM
No Graham Coxon and it still sounds good.

scruffziller
04-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Damon Albarn looks like Rowan Atkinson AKA MR. BEAN.