PDA

View Full Version : Actors you think have broken the curse of the typecast.

scruffziller
04-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Some never will and tried like William Shatner and Henry Winkler.
Well maybe Winkler a little bit. I can't think of any right now, but put in your thoughts and it might get the juices flowing. Well possibly Michael McKean.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2003, 03:01 PM
At the top of my list is Ben Stiller. After playing that nursing home worker in Happy Gilmore I thought he'd never break out. Boy, Zoolander really proved me wrong! ;)

Seriously I think Harrison Ford is the main one. At the beginning of his career (OK, not counting American Graffiti and other stuff before SW) he had to contend with being Han Solo and Indy but he's been successful in other action flicks, romances, and some mild comedies. What did the other people from Indy and SW go on to do that built up their careers? Other than John Ryhs-Davies I can't think of one who really broke out on their own.

I guess you can say Patrick Stewart to some degree. He's had other parts that were nothing like Cap'n JLP, i.e., Christmas Carol.

scruffziller
04-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Patrick Stewart doesn't do that for me. I still think JLP when I watch X-Men.

Pendo
04-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Robin Williams has recently escaped from his comedic side with recent films as One Hour Photo and Insomnia. I thought he was great in these films and would like to see him in more serious films :).

PENDO!

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Patrick Stewart doesn't do that for me. I still think JLP when I watch X-Men.

But at least he doesn't say 'engage' everytime he starts up his wheelchair. :)

Patient Zero
04-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Well, Scifi fans seem to be so fanatical about actors being the characters that they portray, but only when they are relatively unknown before their scifi role. Fox Mulder...I mean Duchovny is a prime example of this. He was in (non-scifi movies) Kalifornia, Return to me, Playing God and one of the Beethoven movie, but I will never be able to see him as anthing other then Mulder. Gillian Anderson is not as bad because she was in a really good movie called Playing By Heart which has a huge cast of well known actors. I actually believed her character in that.

Ben Browder from Farscape is another one that I could probably never see as any other character then Crichton.

scruffziller
04-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
But at least he doesn't say 'engage' everytime he starts up his wheelchair. :)

YEA!!!!:D

Sentinel18725
04-22-2003, 09:09 AM
I think that Harrison Ford still has the same roles. He frequently is playing the reluctant hero or the quite romantic. Only a few times he hasn't done these things. I truly enjoy them though.

I completely agree on Robin Williams. He was incredible in One Hour Photo. Creepy! Haven't seen Insomnia yet though.

I think that Jim Carey has broken out of the mold. It's interesting because he is a great physical comedian. He does good work in those roles ie. Grinch, The Mask, etc. But if you haven't seen the Majestic, I really liked this one. He does good work and is able to go back and do the physical comedy.

Don't forget the daddy of breaking the mold....Tom Hanks. Watch the earlier stuff (Turner and Hooch, Dragnet, Big) and it makes you wonder how he ever got good roles, much less Oscars.

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 09:39 AM
Robin Williams by far. One Hour Photo and Insomnia rocked.

Jim Carrey maybe? He did try some serious stuff. Didn't much care for it.

As for Patrick Stewart, he was born to be Prof. X. Who else looks like him without makeup.

Tom Hanks was another one. All he did was comedies. Bosum Buddies was great, but Cast Away was a role far from dressing like a woman.

icatch9
04-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Jeri Ryan is a good example. Not as well known as Harrison Ford or Tom Hanks, but certainly came from no where got a huge fan following as Seven of Nine (what big breasted chick in a body suit wouldn't be the queen of all Trekies:D?). She is now a major character on the acclamed Boston Public in wich her character is certainly nothing like Seven. Actors always like a challenge, but they also want to show they can do different things.

Think of this. Ralph Fines was The Tooth Farey/ The Red Dragon serial killer in Red Dragon. Just weeks after he gave his disturbing performance of a horrible killer he was a nice noble charming millionair in Maid in Manhaton. Couldn't think of a more opposite role for him to play, to make sure he doesn't get pigon holed into some scarey killer. I mean the dude from Lambs (Buffalo Bill) wasn't in another movie for years. Everyone always saw the crazy killer with his **** between his legs. Gross!! Who'd want him in another movie? He was in The Fast and the Furious, but only as a small part.

Lman316
04-22-2003, 10:14 AM
First of all, icatch, you might be missing the point a bit (at least on your second paragraph). Typecast usually means that the actor has been playing one specific role for years and years, then tries something different and is seen as that first character. Ralph Fiennes hasn't always been playing the "Tooth Fairy/Red Dragon" so it doesn't apply there.
Second, there really wasn't and isn't any need for your somewhat "graphic" language about something that happened in Silence of the Lambs (and I'm not actually too keen on your description of Jeri Ryan, either, but that really isn't considered vulgar). Especially when there are children that come on to these forums.

End...

Darth Jax
04-22-2003, 09:53 PM
robin williams escaped the comedic actor typecast only to get pigeonholed in the 'spooky' drama role recently ala insomnia, one hour photo et al.

al bundy is trying to make the comeback after years of married with children. his dramatic abilities might seem somewhat stretched but i've been impressed with his work so far on dragnet. as for a 'movie' actor that's been typecast, no one comes to mind thats been able to break out of that role. would agree that hanks has done a great job of re-defining himself.

Prince Xizor
04-22-2003, 10:30 PM
I agree on Robin Williams, Harrison Ford, and Patrick Stewart.

I'm not sure about anybody else that has broken their "mold". But I came name some people that sure as hell won't.

Jason Mewes will never be anything else besides Jay. I don't think Pierce Brosnan is going to escape James Bond. And the classic example being Mark Hammill. That man will NEVER be anything else besides Luke Skywalker to me.

RooJay
04-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
I mean the dude from Lambs (Buffalo Bill) wasn't in another movie for years. Everyone always saw the crazy killer [deleted] Who'd want him in another movie? He was in The Fast and the Furious, but only as a small part.

Ted Levine (Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb, of Silence of the Lambs) has had roles in no fewer than seventeen theatrical features since his role in Silence of the Lambs; not to mention numerous roles on television nearly every year since then. I can't say with absolute certainty whether or not he has ever played the role of a serial killer since (scratch that - he was the voice of 'Rusty Nail' in Joy Ride), but he has never seemed to be typecast in those kinds of roles. In fact, he has quite often portrayed characters such as police officers, detectives, and military types. For anyone that was interested.;)

I'd like to nominate Kevin Spacey for this list as well. He has managed to make the switch from supporting character actor to a solidly (and successful) leading role performer.

scruffziller
04-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Lman316
Typecast usually means that the actor has been playing one specific role for years and years, then tries something different and is seen as that first character. Ralph Fiennes hasn't always been playing the "Tooth Fairy/Red Dragon" so it doesn't apply there.

Yea best example is Mr. Scott who plays Stiffler in American Pie, now with him being in this Bulletproof Monk??:rolleyes: He will never break the Stiffler curse

Jayspawn
04-25-2003, 11:26 AM
If you think about it, none of the James Bond actors have escaped the role of 007. Connery has a bit, but I think it's still there.

Unfortunatly Jason Mewes will always be Jay. Mark Hamill, I love him to death but I will always think of Luke Skywalker.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Looks like Peter Mayhew can't escape his role in Star Wars either. Though I don't think he's complaining right about now. :D