PDA

View Full Version : Do CloneTroopers look like Cylons?

Tycho
04-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Just was reading about a silver CloneTrooper and thought to myself, "Oh-no! Here comes Starbuck and Apollo to fight in the Clone Wars."

A silver Clone Trooper would look like a Cylon Warrior, wouldn't it?

Until the prequels, the armored warriors of the Star Wars galaxy looked pretty much original. Now while I realize that the Clone Trooper is a combo of Fett's helmeted visage and that of the classic Stormtroopers, if you had the separate pieces of the costumes for the Bikerscout's lower helmet and the Clone Trooper's upper face shield, then combined them and 'chromed them,' you'd be a Cylon!

LTBasker
04-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Very true, I was thinking that when I first heard about it. Maybe it's just Lucas' way of mooning them after the whole deal with them taking away ideas of Star Wars. ;) I don't think theres alot they can do either, because it doesn't have a direct appearance as them, so it's like an upgraded bootleg.

If there are any matters over it though, well that's what they get for lack of originality. :p

Dark Marble
04-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Tycho, I really hate when you do that. Now all I can see it that little red light going back and forth. I can sleep now....but the dreams still come. :eek:

stillakid
04-21-2003, 04:07 PM
:cool:

JediBoulton
04-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Gee -- what do yall say about getting Dirk Bennidict to play the role of Anakin -- cant be much worse than Hayden.

Hight be better --- hmmm

JangoFart
04-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Well, it's only fitting if it does end up looking just like a Cylon. Afterall, a Cylon was just a shameless rip-off of a Stormtrooper to begin with. What goes around, comes around; so they say.

J

JediBoulton
04-21-2003, 05:22 PM
As long as we dont start having Clone Troopers walking around saying, " BY YOUR COMMAND "

I dont think I could cope with such a thing :cry:

OC47150
04-21-2003, 05:30 PM
That's what I was thinking, Jedi Boulton!!

Maybe it will be a sound-effect troopie, too, and make that electronic swooshing sound!!

JediBoulton
04-21-2003, 05:35 PM
RA-ROOM -- RA-ROOM -- RA-ROOM

OH MAN -- Its stuck in my head!

Now all we need is Anakin and Padme to get a
stupid Robot Orange Dog (Daggit)

I will BAN Star Wars 4-EVER if that happened!!!

Val Da Car
04-22-2003, 01:48 AM
As for ships...The Star Wars vehicles are far better that any colonial viper or BattleStar........because simply put you can not beat the Death Star...

nuff said...

;-)

Tonysmo
04-22-2003, 02:19 AM
the dogs name was moffit right? and didnt their "battle station" look like the death star with the middle carved out? wow.. the more I think about it, the more similarities I see...

I guess its better than: twiggy twiggy twiggy....

Now I must figure out how to put a LED in my clone trooper helmet.

JediBoulton
04-22-2003, 09:18 AM
Tonysmo -- you are right -- the dog's name was Muffit -- its been so long ago. Some things you try to forget, right?

The battlestation was called "Basestar" -- I found a picture of it:

Sentinel18725
04-22-2003, 09:25 AM
I guess the new action fleet vehicles for clone wars will be interchangable with cemented in bullets in the spring loaded launchers.....Opps....I forgot, we aren't choking on these little red things anymore. Proof that society is advancing in intelligence. (If anyone knows anybody that died from these or put an eye out, my apologies in advance).

I can't wait to see the three seated Clone trooper attack vehicle. You know, the one with the commander in the back.

mtriv73
04-22-2003, 09:34 AM
I heard on the radio (DC101) that a battlestar gallactica movie is in the works. I hope they make 3 3/4" figures to go with it, they would make great background characters for diorammas. As to the clone troopers looking like cylons, I think that is more an effect of the cylons looking like original stromtroopers (in a vague way e.g. armor, helmets, can't shoot straight) rather than the Lucas thumbing his nose at them. Since Clone troopers are the forerunners of Stormtroopers it's only natural that there would be similarities. Battlestar Gallactica was a clear ripoff of the Star Wars idea (not that I was complaining when I was 4 or even now that I'm 29.)

tgr3328
04-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by JediBoulton
The battlestation was called "Basestar" -- I found a picture of it:

That was the Cylon base ship, wasn't it? The cylon troopers looked like robots (or were they cyborgs?), yet their commander (I think they called him "Imperious Leader") looked like a biological being. What's up with that?

We watched the show since it was readily available science fiction, but it didn't hold a candle to Star Wars!

JediBoulton
04-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Thats right -- the Base Star Was the Cylon base ship. The Imperious leader was some being that you mentioned also.

The Late John Colicos played BALTAR -- who also sat in that big chair and was always fighting with Adama (Lorne Green). There was also that Gold Droid, Lusifer, that was always giving crappy advice to everyone.

One of the episodes was where Starbuck and one of the cylons "Red Eye" were in a wild west type shot out.

Star Wars is a ton more interesting -- and has better toys!!

Although, 3 3/4 figures might be interesting if they do deside to make a movie...

tgr3328
04-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Yes, there were two golden droids, at least in one episode. One was named Lucifer. I don't remember the other one's name. One was evil and competent while the other was a bumbling suck-up. I think Lucifer was the latter.

halcon orlus
04-22-2003, 11:17 AM
I don't see where Battlestar Galactica is a ripoff of Star Wars. Certainly it made use of the interest Star Wars spawned in space epics, and would not have existed otherwise, But there are no tangible plot similarities. And any similarities between the ship designs of the two are only as easy to find as between any other two sci-fi series. Especially back when ships were made from canabalized models and not yet CG.

One is about a few heroes making use of a mystical oneness in the universe to battle an oppressive regime. The other is a fleet of survivors struggling to find a mythic homeworld while fleeing rogue robotic hordes of their own unfortunate creation. I don't see it any ripoff there.

Cylons only resemble stormtroopers in the same way any helmeted, body-armor wearing troops in any series would create images of aggressive goose-stepping armies. This is a common image born of real human wars. Not star wars.

You didn't see luke wearing an egyptian-esque flight helmet or stormtroopers piloting TIEs in threes. Nor were basestars all powerful planet destroyers. They were capital ships of a rather unique shape for capital ships.

There are indeed similarities. But it's far from being a ripoff.

Jargo
04-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Erm, the fleet of spaceships they used, the Vipers, were directly ripped off from star wars' x-wings. they tried to hide it by having three wings not four but before star wars all alien ships were of a similar shape and design i.e saucers, the main theme of a major oppressive force using technology to overpower the galaxy is a direct rip off of star wars and the imperial oppression using technology to overpower the galaxy and smash it into submission. The fact that all the cylons looked the same and were basically automatons ties into the initial misconception that stormtroopers were robots.

It's also on record that the makers of BSG stole ideas from star wars. Starbuck was supposed to be a han Solo-esque character, and the chick Apollo was dating was supposed to be some kind of princess leia-a-like. They even had the cantina rip off with the three eyed alien singer and the gambling tables etc. Sure it looks different but all the elements can be traced directly to star wars, it was only an even smaller budget that stopped them going further and ripping things off wholesale. I mean, a rag tag band of heros vs a rebel alliance, just semantics. Technically the same thing.

You also have to remember that the early designs for star wars had the death star as a prison floating in the high altitudes of a planet and it resembled the bespin cloud city. Sandwich two cloud cities together and you have the cylon basestar and there again basestar=death star.

Then look at the uniforms of the pilots directly ripped off from han Solos costume, just a different color and with more buttons. But shiny boots and close fitting pants, crop jacket and I seem to recall the blasters looked pretty similar too. Just too many coincidences for it not to be a rip off. A poor rip off.

If i remember correctly i think one of the original fighter designs for star wars was stolen and used for the cylons craft. Which is why they switched to the tie fighter design. I may be a little off on that but i remember something along those lines being reported a while back somewhere. I know there's a design by either joe Johnstone or ralph McQuarrie that has a very similar shaped craft.

But i suppose if you want to believe it isn't a rip off then that as they say is your prerogative. Personally i like both stories. BSG is silly beyond belief and hammy as hell but it's light fluffy fun and gives me a warm nostalgic glow thinking about it. Star wars is the higher quality superior option and as such will forever trounce BSG at every turn.

I remember seeing BSG toys years ago, i always wanted the Muffit toy and the Viper, thought Muffit deserved better storylines than getting in the way and having that damn kid get caught by cylons or something. Man that kid annoyed me. :p

Val Da Car
04-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Lastly....there is no WAY that Luke skywalker could fit in a colonial viper......let alone his R2 unit.......wasn't there an episode where a Colonial Viper (with Starbuck flying it) has a computer built in riding with him?

I was only nine but I do remember Christmas Day clearer with my Star Wars toys than the Christmas with the BSG toys.

stillakid
04-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Just for the record, John Dykstra, who was the head of the fledgling Industrial Light and Magic in 1977, left the company when it headed north. With the success of Star Wars, the networks were anxious to get something similar on the air, so they courted him specifically. So the similarites you see in design are not only purposeful, but blood related.

And, if I remember it correctly, Baltar was a known traitor to the fleeing human race. I think that his plan was to help wipe out the humans and then "rule" whatever was left. I think that the Cylon Empire allowed him to "pretend" that he was in charge just long enough to kill off the escaping ships and then the plan was to do away with him as well. I can't remember how the series ended though to tell you how it all panned out.

Tonysmo
04-23-2003, 12:39 AM
wow.. takes ya back doesnt it.. regardless of it being a ripoff or spinoff or not, it was still yet another tide me over sci-fi show. I think we were all much to young to draw any other conclusion than " this show rocks "... of course opinons now may differ..

It was certainly much better than Buck Rogers...

I'm trying to think back to whether I watch BSG or Land of the Lost on a more frequent basis.. they were on TV about the same time right?

Heres another question, Im almost afraid as the topic may be somewhat Taboo on these forums.. but Star Trek... Im I alone in the fact that I somewhat dislike when Im put in the same genre of geekieness? When people find out Im a Star Wars fan, they automatically assume Im a trekkie.. I really really hate that.. One is the utmost coolest Sci-Fi movies of all time.. the other is a mere TV soap opera with a few Klingons... Am I wrong to feel this way? Should I stop going off on tangents and start a brand new thread?

back to the topic at hand - I enjoyed BSG and even had a few iron on transfers.... hmmm... still think I may have them somewhere...

let'em remake the movie.. I'd see it..

plasticfetish
04-23-2003, 04:42 AM
This is the most nerdy thread that I've ever seen on this site.
With that said ...

Originally posted by Tonysmo
I'm trying to think back to whether I watch BSG or Land of the Lost on a more frequent basis.. they were on TV about the same time right?
Galactica (78-79) was prime time and Land of the Lost (74-76) was a "Kroft Supershow" Saturday morning thing. I probably watched every episode of Battlestar Galactica when it aired back then ... remember, we were happy to have any science fiction on television ... it certainly didn't matter if it was a Star Wars copycat. I had some of the toys too. I don't remember ever choking on the Colonial Viper's little red missile, but I do remember lighting a model kit on fire (hmmm, I remember lighting a lot of model kits on fire.)

BTW ... the "dog" thing, Muffit the robotic daggit ... was played by an unlucky chimp if I remember correctly. Ahhh the 70s, when chimps were king. Now if only they'd start airing that old Planet of the Apes TV show again.