PDA

View Full Version : How do you buy your collection

Darthvader7677
04-22-2003, 03:20 AM
Hey all

Sense it seems as of lately new figures are harder to come by. So with that said. How do most of you get your collection. Do you prefer to drive all around your area looking from store to store. Or do you just browse the net looking from site to site. Maybe both. IMO I do both. Sometimes I'd rather pay alittle extra and get the figures. Then to drive around town, wasting gas and miles on my car. Just to be disaapointed by the likes of Wal-Marts and Target leaving there pegs empty. Atleast that's how they are in CA. Even KB and TRU just have to same old stuff. But I have to admit, it's a cool feeling finding stuff in stores:D Tell me what you think. Thanks for your time!

Jerjerrod
04-22-2003, 03:57 AM
For me, it's a never ending cycle: WM to TRU to Ebay to Zellers to Ebay again to comic book store to Ebay again and back to WM. :o I know, it's a hard knock life! :D

Most of my collection now comes from Ebay. Then Specialty stores, and NONE from retail. The last figure I bought for retail price was like... I think it was Orn Free Taa, on sale for $3 CDN, that was almost 3 months ago.

With that said, where are the FRIGGURES already, Hasblow? :Pirate:

sith_killer_99
04-22-2003, 04:59 AM
Well, initially I bought from all different places. I bought a lot of retail, but I did buy a few auctions on Ebay, mostly big lots of figures to round out my POTF2 collection. I think the largest lot I bought off of Ebay was around 60 figures. All told they cost me about $3.50 each with shipping, mostly common stuff with a few variations.

I bought a full set of Freeze Frame figures from the buying/selling/trading section here, all MOM(U.S.)C except Weequay, who was on a Canadian card. All told I spent about $8.00 per figure for the set.

Most of my EP1, and newer, stuff came from retail with just a few exceptions.

I used to trade with a lot of folks, but my trading days have really slowed.

I have bought a few figures from online retailers, mostly overseas, foreign (non-U.S.) carded stuff.

As I said, nowadays I buy retail, mostly from Wal-Mart.

kool-aid killer
04-22-2003, 08:01 AM
I almost always get me stuff from retail but ive got a list of about 30 things that i need to buy off of ebay. Ebay also helped me get a lot of my POTJ figures for a decent price. The key is in buying lots in my opinion. I try to trade for things too.

RussUAE
04-22-2003, 08:54 AM
All retail in a film year and then straight onto online retailers for all other years as they seem the only place to get hold of stuff!

Non- film years are so much more expensive for me.

I still plan to buy some POTF2 figures en masse from Ebay sometime when I can afford it!

bobafrett
04-22-2003, 09:03 AM
I've probably got a majority of my collection doing the old fashion driving from store to store, but lately that's proved fruitless. I recently placed a sizable order through an online retailer, that has come through for me in the past. Man, where was this internet back in the early 80's? I could have filled some of the holes in my collection, for a lot less.

dr_evazan22
04-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Before March of this year I was strictly retail, limiting on-line purchases to items that were only available there. Since I really haven't found anything new in about 4 months I decided to join KEBco's 1 of every fig club for the 3-3/4". I'm still going to shop retail for 12" and vehicles and such.

mm74md
04-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Mostly retail. Except obviously for stuff I couldn't grab at a store or exclusives. I've promised myself never to jump to eBay or online until I give a figure 3 months of a release. I'm still kicking myself for my $17 Count Dooku!

I travel from Western Maryland to the DC/Baltimore area for work so I have a few secret Wal Marts at my disposal in rural areas as well as a few sweet Targets in the Baltimore suburbs that I always score stuff. For example: after being tempted to buy online, I scored a Red Battle Droid, Aayla, Barriss, and Yoda & Chian yesterday at one of the Baltimore Targets. Another collector had 2 of the Padawans or I would have had every new figure I wanted to date!

Jaff
04-22-2003, 09:20 AM
I hunt at my local Wal-Mart or Kay Bee which has had nothing in four months since I'm in backwater USA. Still I don't let that disuade me, I just wait and watch the rarity talk of each figure I'm looking for. Usually every three months I go on state wide road trips, and thats when I get the new (I mean old stuff) because different populations or markets always have what I'm looking for. Finally when exclusives are released I will go through a dealer if I don't have that store in my area like Target and FAO. After 7 months of not buying from dealers and internet folks I purchased the Imperial Shuttle. Any missing pieces I don't have I got with that order. In the end I'm caught up, and even ahead every three months.

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Scouring the stores of the neighborhood usually. I will buy on Ebay if I can find a lot for a decnt price. I think I am gonna have to buy a case for the newer figs. I will start a job on May 1 right near a different Target and Wal-Mart. And finally a TRU that is accessable to me when I go to the office. HOOOO-RAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

[DSS]Pedr0
04-22-2003, 09:22 AM
NOW, U COLLECTORS BUY DOUBLES? ONE FOR DISPLAY AND THE OTHERS TO TAKE OUT AND SET UP??

bobafrett
04-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by [DSS]Pedr0
NOW, U COLLECTORS BUY DOUBLES? ONE FOR DISPLAY AND THE OTHERS TO TAKE OUT AND SET UP??

Depends on the figure. If it's one I like, yes, otherwise it stays carded.

In fact, I ordered a case from EE, and in this case, a few of the figures will have 2 of the same figure, and others will come 1 per case. So, the second double will be opened, while the figure that comes onew per case, will remain carded.

Rogue II
04-22-2003, 09:41 AM
Most of my collection was bought at Target, Walmart, TRU, KMart or KB.

I've bought a few things from E-bay. Mostly for customs or army builders. I did score the Imperial Scanning trooper and Sandtrooper from the cantina diorama pretty cheap.

And about 12 figures from online retailers.

The majority of my collection is loose, but I save the card backs. There are about 24 carded figures in my collection, but I have a loose version of practically all of them.

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Usually with cash

tgr3328
04-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Oddly enough, lately I have found quite a few figures right here at my local Walmart. The stores in nearby towns, TRU, Target, and KB where I used to find everything have had very little!

Patient Zero
04-22-2003, 10:37 AM
I have never bought figures online with the exception of some older figures on ebay. I just wait till I find them in stores. Use to check retail all the time but recently I have been really lax about it.

Darkross
04-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Mostly retail...when I can find the stuff...but lately it's been from another collector and online. Wal-Mart, Zellers, Toys R Us, and Rite-Aid seem to be the best places for me to find stuff...although nothing new in almost 6 months.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Well, that depeneds. I picked up the POTF2 figures when i was still in junior high/high school and lived at home and within a drive from Wal-mart. Oh, the days when they actually got new stuff in weekly (tear) Plus, my mum worked there and i was buddy buddy with the toy manager, so he always gave me the heads up if he was getting a shipment in.

When i moved to columbus to attend a tech school, i had a car and my friend dave and i would hunt a bit and when i dropped out, we hunted every few nights for about 6-8 hours average. WE'd hit every possible store in the greater columbus area.

Now that i'm back in school, i don't have a car now and even so, Athens has one wal-mart, so i just kebco my stuff now. It saves me gas from hunting when i go home and their prices can't be topped.

:D

sith_killer_99
04-22-2003, 12:27 PM
It saves me gas from hunting when i go home and their prices can't be topped.

How about 2 for $5.00?!?!?

JK

I'm too cheap to pay the extra $1.22 (plus shipping) that I would have saved by getting them at Wal-Mart.

But then again, I'm the guy who waited a year and a half to find a Swimming Jar-Jar at TRU for $1.97!

Yeah, I spend time and gas hunting for new figures, though, not sooo much lately.:rolleyes: But that is part of the fun IMHO. I look at my figures and say stuff like "Yeah, I remember when I found all of my CT Stormtroopers on sale at TRU, 2 for $3.00." Compare that to "Yeah, I remember when my Bespin Darth Vader arrived by mail."

It's no contest, my favorite pieces in my collection are often those "odd finds".

Just my 2 cents.

LusiferSam
04-22-2003, 01:00 PM
I buy most of my stuff at Wal-mart and Target. K-mart some times and TRU when I'm in a town with one. But I don't always find everything, so I have to resort to online to fill in the gaps. And who I buy from depends on the price, how many items they have that I want, and how bad I want the item. I enjoy the hunt. Its fun to make great and come home with a bunch of new figures.

TheDarthVader
04-22-2003, 01:17 PM
I get mine at all the usual retail stores already named. I live in a twin city so we have 2 walmarts. (only 1 target and 1 kmart). we have one tru and one kb. I just found 4 new figures at walmart not long ago...but now they have nothing. Same for the others. I pay with my credit card. One time, I bought a lot of ep1 figures off ebay that I needed to try to complete my set. (there were no hard to find figures in the lot). And I paid (shipping included) $1.63 a figure. A steal!!! IMO. I was so happy. And then they came in a huge box and I got to go through them. Surprisingly they were all momc or at least near mint. (I collect carded figs).

Fulit
04-22-2003, 01:19 PM
A little of both. If I get impatient, which is more often than not, I go ahead and buy online, only, of course, to find them in the store a week later. But there have been those few figures that I have bought online that still to this day, I never see in a store, so sometimes it pays off.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
I look at my figures and say stuff like "Yeah, I remember when I found all of my CT Stormtroopers on sale at TRU, 2 for $3.00."

Oh YEAHHHHH! I remember that day all too well, I also picked up 5 hologram r2's for the same price.

I have, in the past, shopped on-line for some of the POTJ figs. Since SAGA came out, it's been all retail. First 40 I mostly got at TRU and now all of the newer figures are showing up at Walmart, which is fine by me because they are a little bit cheaper there! :)

bobafrett
04-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
Oh YEAHHHHH! I remember that day all too well, I also picked up 5 hologram r2's for the same price.

I had to buy one of the hologram R2's from eBay, and got a second one from a dealer. Until that time, I pretty much had bought all my figures through shopping the discount chains.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
I had to buy one of the hologram R2's from eBay, and got a second one from a dealer. Until that time, I pretty much had bought all my figures through shopping the discount chains.

:( I'm sorry.

If this makes you feel any better, I gave, yes gave them all away, except my own, to friends of mine, that's why I got 5 and I knew if I didn't pick them up then, they'd be gone in a flash. And we (there was one other person there) left about 20 of them behind! I think he only got 5 or so too.

bobafrett
04-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
:( I'm sorry.

If this makes you feel any better, I gave, yes gave them all away, except my own, to friends of mine, that's why I got 5 and I knew if I didn't pick them up then, they'd be gone in a flash. And we (there was one other person there) left about 20 of them behind! I think he only got 5 or so too.

Not a problem, I just never saw any at the retail stores, there are probably other figures that I have missed, but don't know about. With the new numbering system that Hasbro has on the saga line, it makes it kind of hard not to notice if my collection is short a figure or two. With the help of the SSG, I will soon know which figures I'm missing from the earlier lines.

vorronsalive
04-22-2003, 04:28 PM
I will never buy from an online source when figures are supposedly still in retail stores. I learned this lesson about a week after Episode 2 toys were released. I won a Luminara, Royal Guard, and Taun We on ebay for $30 because I couldn't find them anywhere. I was happy about that, so I decided to go to Wal*Mart to see if anything new had come out, and when I got there, right in the front of the pegs, I see one of each for $5.88. I learned my lesson. I only buy things from ebay if I didn't get them before or if they are not in stores. I won a lot of 27 Green Carded figures, and paid about $2.50 per figure which included the .00 Collection 2 Grand Moff Tarkin and the Collection 2 Grey Bearded Ponda Baba. I also bought a lot of 10 figures from various lines. It was mainly common stuff, but it also included the Flashback R2-D2 with lightsaber on right side. I ended up paying about $4.00 for it. When I buy the older stuff, I only buy in lots because you will find more deals in lots. But thats just my opinion.

QLD
04-22-2003, 04:43 PM
About 75% of my collection came from Wal-Mart. About 10% from trading, another 10 % from other retail stores, and about 5% from ebay or online retailers.

I usually have pretty good luck when I search, problem is now, I never feel like searching.

Darth Jax
04-22-2003, 09:33 PM
VISA, sorry kidhuman you are no longer the only one. i get all current figs at retail. will only order from on-line suppliers to fill holes in collection from past lines. under no circumstances will i venture anywhere near ebay.