PDA

View Full Version : Help with info on Winamp...and hotbars...and desktop themes!?!

Patient Zero
04-22-2003, 04:28 PM
I know next to nothing about all this and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I found a site where I can download Winamp 3 for free, but before I go cluttering up my computer I wanted to make sure that I am going about all this correctly. I assume that the program just attaches itself onto windows media player?

Thanks! :D

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 05:01 PM
No it is a seperate program. It just plays mp3's. I use it because it is easier to load a song into. The skins just take up space and make it look pretty. All in all it is a good program to have.

Patient Zero
04-22-2003, 05:20 PM
I was just reading that it will play cds but the equalizer will not work; is this true?

JediTricks
04-22-2003, 06:32 PM
kidhuman, winamp plays WAV and MIDI files and a bunch of others as well.

Jonna, that is true about it playing CDs but the EQ not affecting them, same with WAV and other non-MP3 files.

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
kidhuman, winamp plays WAV and MIDI files and a bunch of others as well.

I know. I tend to forget because I don't use it for those purposes. I usually won't play cds on my computer because I have all the songs downloaded and another program pops up if I do play one.

Patient Zero
04-22-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys! I downloaded it and the EQ for CDs actually does work on winamp 3 as I am messing with it right now (even though it sounds horrid as the skin that I am using are unmarked)! New toys are fun! Now if I can just find some cool skins. I am using Rikku from final fantasy right now.

GNAP!
GNAP!

Patient Zero
04-22-2003, 09:29 PM
OK...so the next question is Hotbars! I can't find any sort of quide on it. What kind of program do I need to run them?

Kidhuman
04-22-2003, 11:06 PM
They have some cool SW skins if you look deep enough on the list. I had a cool Yoda one.

Tonysmo
04-23-2003, 03:19 AM
Have they started to update the skins for winamp 3? Ive had some pretty kick butt skins for Winamp 2 but they werent able to carry over to the new winamp. So far the skins for winamp 3 have been subpar in my opinon... If anyone does have Star Wars skins for 3.. lemme know!

Patient Zero
04-23-2003, 04:52 AM
Every time I dig into this I find something new. So what are desktop themes and hotbars and how do I install them? Anyone...anyone?

Tonysmo
04-23-2003, 06:11 AM
The desktop themes, at least as far as I know - when you download them, it will change a few things on your desktop to the theme.. such as your basic icons, ( my computer, trash etc.. ) change your background, and change your PC sounds.. I think that is the most it does.. certainly read up on them to make sure they arent changeing anything they shouldnt be...

The hotbar is for your explorer/netscape, changes the overall appearance of the top of the window where your features sit.. instead of the normal gray, it will put a picture or something.. sorta like the winamp skins.. its a skin for your explorer window.. ( one unique one I found turned the sides of your windows into lil bubbles.. ) kinda neat.. just eye candy.

certainly depends on your OS as well.. XP as all sorts of fun stuff out there... just do a search on google..

hope that helps.

also - winamp has always been free... www.winamp.com

[DSS]Pedr0
04-23-2003, 08:41 AM
www.wincustomize.com ......LOOK ALL AROUND FOR DIFFERENT THINGS UR LOOKIN 4

Kidhuman
04-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Tony you pretty much nailed the desktop things. The only bad thing is it takes alot of memory because they are always running. I shut mine down completely so they don't affect the speed of my computer.

Patient Zero
04-23-2003, 11:16 AM
These SW desktop themes aren't bad.

http://www.themeworld.com/cgi-bin/preview.pl/themes/13themes.zip

Kidhuman
04-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Those are nice Jonna. If I had more memory I would get them. Gonna upgrade my comp in a few months and all. Just wait until then I suppose.

Patient Zero
04-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Alright, there is just to much stuff that I am finding.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a hotbar and an IE toolbar skins? Which is better?

Tonysmo
04-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Hotbars - I think these actually change the sides of your windows.. as in, ,when you open up your my computer icon, and your widow pops up.. it wont be a normal blue sides.. the appearncee of the sides of the window will be changed to your hotbar type..

IE skins - just like winamp skins, but they are for your explorer browser window..

Im pretty sure thats the difference..

Then again I could have done one too many bong hits..