PDA

View Full Version : What a load of...

TheDarthVader
04-23-2003, 06:37 PM
My goodness! What a load of crap! I went to TRU today and was asking a girl there (that I know because I go there so much) if she could maybe ask one of the guys in the back about new Star Wars figures. She says yes. And he calls her and he tells her (he's a SW collector) that all of the 03 figures are "recalled" because of choking hazards. What a load of crap! I rushed home and found my padme:droid factory, eeth koth, teebo, rebel fleet trooper, and research droids (I think all of them) had choking warnings. I can't believe people these days...for a moment I thought I had a legitimate reason to tell all of the SSG members why no figures are showing up. What do they say things like this when its not true? Maybe he's hoarding the figures...I don't know. Has this happened to anyone else? :(

Sidiously Darth
04-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately, TRU seems to be a haven for backdoor sellers and employing scalpers. The TRU in Altamonte Springs, FL has been know to harbor such employees.

This by no means indicates the way all TRUs are run but it seems to be an on going trend for some stores.:mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Well, my TRU is never going to get new figs. So there is no point, for me anyway, in hoping there ever will be. There is no reason to recall these, that guy is full of it. This guy sounds like trouble . . .

TheDarthVader
04-23-2003, 09:57 PM
I appreciate everyone's understanding. I can't believe that a person would lie just to get star wars figures. It really shocks me. Is being an unhonest man worth a piece of plastic? Some people need a reality check and need help...seriously. They need to get their priorities straight.

Kidhuman
04-23-2003, 10:32 PM
The only way to find out for sure is to contact Hasbro. I am sure they will tell you if there was a recall.

bobafrett
04-24-2003, 12:30 AM
The Toys R Us nearest my place is not going to have that problem as their shelves are so overloaded with peg warmers, that nothing new will come in until they sell down on those. This was told to me by the manager. Now, I've been to several other TRU's, and they have empty, or near empty pegs. At those stores, I was told that they are just waiting for the new stuff to come in.

Tycho
04-24-2003, 01:44 AM
Maybe the problem is simpler: a scalper told the employee that misinformation, the employee does not know that much about Star Wars themselves, and the employee is gullible (and a major moron) to begin with.

Try this: the next time you go to Toys R Us tell several employees that all Hot Wheels cars are being resent to the manufacturer because Toys R Us' insurance policy neglected to list them in their coverage, and in the event of (earthquake, tornado, tidal wave, scud missle attack - fill in your favorite but minutely still possible major disaster here) the stores' Hot Wheels inventory won't be covered.

See if they start telling that to the darn scalpers and if it results on a run on the old worthless cars because they think there won't be any more at all for a while.

The darn scalpers are too stupid to get real jobs rather than collect unemployment insurance and suppliment their living by hanging out at retailers catering to folks 20 years younger than them only so that they can make some off-the-tax-records income at the swap meet. Perhaps they'll believe them.

Bet some employees will believe you too.

Off the topic slightly, I once told a Hot Wheels collector not to touch "my Star Wars." I showed him my receipt from Target, and showed him some random numbers and told him it was the security code that lets me hack into their security cameras from my home computer. I set my alarm to wake me up, (or my computer to record) upon events related to stocking the action figure isle, so that I know when Star Wars is being stocked. I told him that I have recordings of him buying Star Wars, hiding stuff, etc. and that all I have to do is film him at the swap meet unloading his stuff, and I could have him kicked out of the store by the manager. He "volunteered" to stop shopping at that Target on his own after that incident. So gullible! But that was so much fun! Just tell it like you're really serious and it's really believeable. It helped me because my friend worked at Target and backed up my story - told the guy that he helped me test my camera tap network. This guy believed it so well that HE was going to complain to the manager first - that I had inside info and an unfair advantage - when I said that I'd film him at the swap meet. Man it was funny!

bobafrett
04-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Tyco, you are evil. Let the simple man play with his toy cars!

InsaneJediGirl
04-24-2003, 07:26 AM
I highly doubt they were recalled.All Star Wars toys have a clear warning on the packaging.:rolleyes: Probably someone who didnt want to do their job and grab a case off the shelf because they'd have to walk more than two steps.:D

Tycho,you are evil:evil: However,that was a funny story!:crazed:

HARDY
04-24-2003, 07:31 AM
just another example of how crap toyrus are but...we still go there as we need to feed our passion

tgr3328
04-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Yes. You will never find a more retched hive of scum and villiany!

THE Slayer
04-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Speaking of TRU. Is it common practice for employees to take an older figure off the shelves and exchange it for a new figure, tightly secured in a sealed case in the back, Then reseal the case?

TheDarthVader
04-24-2003, 02:26 PM
No, I would not think so.

I called up Hasbro just a minute ago and asked about the "recall of star wars figures". I told the rep. that someone told me they were being recalled. She checked and said "no, I do not have any information regarding a recall." Hmmmm. Well I suppose it is possible that TRU has not received any new figures yet and this "stock boy" told me that because he believes that is the reason why they have not received any new figures. I guess its possible. I still think something fishy is going on (deep down). I sense a disturbance in the force. I have a buddy who likes transformers. I go to TRU a lot so I started to keep an eye out for the G1 reissue optimus prime for my friend. I did not see one until a week ago and there were only 2 put on the shelf. First of all, this item should have been put out a long time ago. Second of all I saw a series 3 Jazz on the shelf. Seems like he got put out on time. (had series 3 on the box and there were 5 of them). Anyways I thought hmmm...only two...(and they had room for more) and the case has 6 in it (I believe). Maybe a scalper got there and bought 4 of them. But still... I am suspicious about the on-goings there.

Jedi Drew
04-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Tycho, I can't believe that anyone would buy that story. If so they must be as dumb as a box of rocks and I have some swamp land to sell them. :crazed: :crazed: At the TRU around here they never have any new figures because I know for a fact that two of the stockguys collect SW and so does the Asst. Manager. They are all pretty cool but I'm sure that they never put out new figures because they are buying them up before they hit the floor. Thats why I try to avoid TRU-You suck!!!!

Darthvader7677
04-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
The Toys R Us nearest my place is not going to have that problem as their shelves are so overloaded with peg warmers, that nothing new will come in until they sell down on those.

I have a friend who is a manager at TRU and she says that until all the old stuff is bought. No new stuff will be put out to the public. Some if you don't know a manager that works there to help you out. It's the last place you want to look at.

wicket5
04-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Actually tru has hasbro reps coming in clearing the pegs of all the old figures so new ones can be ordered, if this employee didn't know much this might of just been him getting the wrong info and thinking they were recalled when really they were just clearing the pegs of old figures

TheDarthVader
04-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Good thinking but not likely. Because he knew about Star Wars. He was a "collector". And I was asking about the 2003 figures specifically. He told me the new 2003 figures were recalled. He knew what I was refering to! But I am not so angry because I found 2 ephant mons at TRU yesterday! Finally! It was probably due to the fact that I had called and complained. (No, I can not sell either one...one is for open and one is to keep in package...sorry). ;)

karinations
04-30-2003, 12:53 AM
The last time i was able to walk into a Toys'r'Us and get a figure i needed was the week after the very first AOTC figures came out.
And that's about it.
TRU is pretty well known for having shady employees around here,and apparently,all around from what i see on these boards.
If they are not hording them to sell on E-Bay themselves they have something worked out with the local comic store owner.
I'm not sure this is breaking any sort of law(?)and no one really cares except us collectors.
People are so screwy if you complained about it they would probably ask you why you were buying toys in the first place.
It's a harsh world this Star Wars figure collecting it is...

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

karinations
04-30-2003, 12:56 AM
>>Tyco, you are evil. Let the simple man play with his toy cars!<<

And that was pretty awesome:)

I understand why people golf more than i do HotWheel collecting.

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

plasticfetish
04-30-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
He "volunteered" to stop shopping at that Target on his own after that incident.
That's insane. Did he then drown from looking up at the sky during a rain storm?

Originally posted by TheDarthVader
I started to keep an eye out for the G1 reissue optimus prime for my friend. I did not see one until a week ago and there were only 2 put on the shelf. First of all, this item should have been put out a long time ago.
Those were released once ... snapped up by scalpers and then re-released in a second batch a short while ago. They were pretty hard to come by even without the scalpers.

Lord of the Sith
05-01-2003, 09:13 AM
Well, to make a long story short I had the same type of statement made last night by the Toy Manager at one Walmart here in Miami, Florida thus this seems to be an ongoing trend.

"Star Wars figures are on recall"- She said

You can read my whole report by going to the Orlando Collector's Club here in the Forums.

The link is Right here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=247231#post247231)