PDA

View Full Version : Chewbacca's role in E3

RussUAE
04-24-2003, 12:22 AM
Just spotted on the SW Official Site that Chewbacca will be in Ep III. I guess he might be an Imperial slave.

[I didn't know what the rules are re spoliers and non-spoilers and whether this is one, so I though I should post it here - any guidance anyone?]

Tycho
04-24-2003, 01:46 AM
Likely not.

1) The Expanded Universe is STRICTLY GOVERERNED by Lucas Licensing that doesn't allow anything to be published that contradicts what Lucas has planned for the characters*

*disclaimer: Lucas can throw that to the wind when or if he wants to, but it could cost them sales when people lose faith in the EU continuity, so they won't do that without good reason.

2) Chewie, at 182 years old (during Episode III) would be fighting slavery against Trandoshans (Bossk's people) as he got involved in that during his courtship of his wife, Mallatabuck, whom he saved from the reptillian slavers. This began a career for Chewie as a vigilante. He took a slavers' ship from a crew he killed, and started building a legend for himself on the Outer Rim.

3) Han would only be 11 (and I think he's likely a new type of Clone).

a) Han became a slave around age 11.

b) Han escaped at age 19, and got into the Imperial Academy.

c) While the Empire was buying slaves from the Trandoshans (Wookiee Slaves), Han was sent to lead TIE Fighters to back up the Empire's shipment security. Wookiee children escaped, but Chewie sacarficed himself so that the other Wookiees could get away. Han captured him. Han was 24.

d) Feeling guilty, hating slavery, Han freed Chewie, also when he was 24, and the two became a team after Han was court-martialed.

e) Chewie had been an Imperial slave for less than 1 year!

f) If Chewie was enslaved prior to that, I can't say for sure. It is even possible he served the Wookiee Senator to bring the issue to the Republic's congress.

g) If Han also makes it into Episode 3, there is no garauntee that he and Chewie will even meet each other, or be in the same scene. I think it's more likely that Obi-Wan meets Chewbacca at some point, or Anakin gets some respect for him, thus explaining why Darth Vader didn't enslave him or just kill him outright at Cloud City. Who knows? Vader (er... uh Anakin) also gave Chewie back C-3PO's parts on Cloud City (or did you think Vader did not have complete control over that installation from even before the time he landed?)

It's hard to fathom where Chewie fits into the story. I have a complete storyline thread in this forum section, but Chewie could have any number of bit parts in it - nothing terribly important though. I gather he could pilot a ship that's instrumental in our hero's escape - possibly his first ship he captained himself, prior to his role as First Mate on the Falcon.

In any case, Lucasfilm just convinced me to buy another Hasbro Chewbacca action figure, and I'll shut up with my complaining about 7 carded Chewbacca resculpts!

frodohairs
04-24-2003, 04:42 AM
MAYBE E3 WILL PICK UP W/CHEWIE AS A SIDEKICK TO ANAKIN OR OBIWAN. JARJAR WAS DISTRACTING, CHEWIE WAS GREAT IN THE OTHER EPISODES. THIS MOVIE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE GREAT BUT I THINK LUCAS WILL BLOW IT AGAIN.

Pendo
04-24-2003, 04:55 AM
I think in Epiosde II Chewie shouldn't have contact with Anakin Skywalker (too coincidental), and he shouldn't meet R2 and 3PO as he doesn't know them in Episode IV. I think him and Obi-Wan should have a meeting as in the Ep IV Cantina, when Ben is talking to Chewie, I get the impression that they have met before, and that is why Chewie agrees to help him.

PENDO!

RussUAE
04-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Oooh, I like Pendo's idea.

Is prob more of a minor cameo role than anything else, but would be cool to see Kashyykh (sp?)

Am quite sure there will be no sign of Han in EpIII, and nor would I want him to appear.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-24-2003, 09:51 AM
Pendo! GREAT Idea, i did notice that Obi-Wan and Chewie were pretty buddy buddy in Episode IV and the possibility of some sort of brief cameo by our favorite walking piece of carpet would be killer. I'm gettin' giddier for this movie by the day. 2005, where are you, dangblasted?!?!?! :D

Rogue II
04-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Well, Bo Shek introduces Obi-Wan to Chewbacca in the cantina.

I'm still not into the idea of anyone other than senior Imperial and Rebel leadership from the classic trilogy being in the prequels (like Mon Mothma, Ackbar, and Tarkin). Yes, Chewbacca is old enough to be in the prequels, but I think GL should spend his time connecting ATOC to ANH rather than trying to slip more OT characters into Episode 3.

Tycho
04-24-2003, 10:50 AM
I agree with Rogue 2, however, some of the characters are complicated, others are not:

Mon Mothma: easy - her father was Chandrilla's senator at this time. She might be a Senate aide in training, like Leia would be in later years, an aide to Bail Organa before she replaced him in the Imperial Senate.

Grand Moff Tarkin: - he should be a Republic military commander in charge of a capital ship or a fleet of them. Since he's from Eriadu on the Mid-Rim, his world might've chosen to side with the Separatists, and he might be working for them (and secretly for Sidious, or Palpatine) and a deal might be struck for his surrender that leads him to land the title of Governor over much of the Outer Rim Territories, a position he held during ANH. The Mid-Rim was always struggling to compete economically with the Core Worlds, so the destruction of Alderaan probably had deep meaning for him. A triumph in more ways than one, perhaps.

Admiral Ackbar: - might be complicated. The planet Mon Calamari was represented by corrupt Quarren in the Senate. Tiikes (if he is also known as Tessek) led Mon Calamari to join the Separatists. Mon Calamarian soldiers (the species from which Ackbar hails) fought in the Clone Wars - they help lead an amphibious attack on Kamino to destroy the Republic's clones and wind up fighting the forces under the command of General Obi-Wan Kenobi in the recent Dark Horse Comic "Attack on Kamino." Obviously when the separatists are defeated, Mon Calamari will have to surrender. Admiral Ackbar was taken as a slave and added to Tarkin's staff. He could be in Episode 3 as a Separatist enemy (Ackbar), but he could not be enslaved until the end of the Clone Wars as shown during the movie. His cameo might or might not be important to the film.

Motti, Tagge, Wulf Yalaren - not really important.

Dadonna, Garven Dreis - possibly could be seen. Dodonna would command a Republic cruiser. Garven Dreis would be a fighter pilot that flew with Anakin Skywalker, as Red Leader knew Luke's dad once.

Riekeen - possibly a young aide to Bail Organna. He's Alderaanian

Madine - a Corellian military commander. Probably not in the movie.

Ozzel, Needa, Piett, Veers, Jerjerrod - not necessarily important. All but Ozzel and Veers might be too young to really make a difference in Episode 3. They'd be earliest ranking officers in the Republic if anything. Ozzel having a bad attitude with Anakin Skywalker might be funny, though. Veers kicking some but as a young Lieutenient could also be cool.

But oh yeah - we were talking about Chewbacca.

Fulit
04-24-2003, 11:22 AM
No, Chewbacca will meet with and do something for Anakin, leading to endless specualtion about who Darth Vader is blocking Boba Fett's shot from in ESB, Chewie or 3PO.

aceguide
04-24-2003, 01:17 PM
I like the ideaof Chewie being incorporated into III. However, I continue to struggle with some of the lack of recognition issues between key characters (Vader & the Droids, OB1 & the droids, etc.)

Pendo's idea is excellent, and maybe Boshek simply pointed out an opportune vessel, and voial - there's Chewie!

El Chuxter
04-24-2003, 02:21 PM
I think Chewbacca will be hanging out with Bail Organa on the Millennium Falcon when he and Mace Towani build R5-D4 for their neighbor, Shaft Calrissian.

How Chewie can appear without seriously screwing up some continuity is beyond me. Unless, like Pendo said, it's a minor role where he meets Obi-Wan and no other CT characters. Of course, George will then have to edit Bo'Shek talking to Obi-Wan about Chewie out of ANH, which will suck.

Toad
04-24-2003, 04:37 PM
I also don't like the idea of so many coincidences in the movies. Yes, it'll be very fun to see Chewie, but if he meets anyone other than Yoda, Mace, Padme, then it will be stupid b/c the other characters would recognize him later.

I guess he could encounter the droids, since they already have encountered EVERYONE yet don't remember it (conveniently) in the OT.

El Chuxter
04-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Maybe he's a technician who performs the memory wipe?

Wait a second--if Chewie hears the name "Anakin" even once, that seriously screws up the story of the CT, and every EU story ever written, since Han understands Shryiwook (sp? the Wookiee language) and presumably Chewie's a nice enough walking carpet to mention it the first time Luke says anything about his dad being "Anakin Skywalker, the Jedi Knight." Not to mention that if he hears "Skywalker" in E3, he's smart enough to put two-and-two together when he runs into a Luke Skywalker who's hanging out with Obi-Wan.

You know, trying to make this not contradict everything else would make one's head explode.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Or perhaps he'll only have a bit part, like Jabba in TPM: classic character, but didn't do much. But nevertheless, it's gonna be awesome to see Chewie again!!!!!!!

tagmac
04-24-2003, 05:59 PM
I think it's great that Chewie will be in Ep. III. My guess is it'll be in a small "cameo" role, possible with no intereaction with any on the main characters (other than maybe Obi-Wan). I still think it's more important they get a young Tarkin, Mon Mothma, and Dodonna in there, as they are very important bridges between the two trilogies.

Tonysmo
04-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Just reading all this... still trying to take it all in.. wow... Im pretty excited at this revelation... Ill bet its a small part as well.. maybe walking by.. It cant be too much.

Beast
04-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Cool, glad to see Chewbacca appearing in E3. I don't care how he appears, just glad that he does. Now if the rumors of Tarkin hold true as well this will connect E3 and the OT quite well. Makes you wonder if this is really ticking off ole David Prowse. Who was quite vocal when he didn't get to play either the unmasked Anakin in ROTJ, or Anakin in the Prequels. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
04-25-2003, 12:26 AM
I have a hard time imagining David Prowse passing for someone Jake Lloyd's age!

I think now that David's seen 2 prequel movies, he's cool with that. As to the Sebastian Shaw casting for ROTJ's Anakin, in that case, yeah I can understand his expectations and disappointment. But David doesn't look like Mark, and his features are not as plain as Sebastian's, so it just wouldn't have worked.

Mark, then Jake, then Hayden all sort of have similar features of that "Lucas kid-casting" look, that the Mace character from the Ewok Adventures also shared. I don't know how to describe "the look," but it definitely plays into adults that still resemble Jake Lloyd, even if he couldn't have possibly started out the casting that way.

But anyway, for standing shots, non-action (due to David's arthritis), I'd be happy for him to get cast as Darth Vader again! I also hope they could give Jeremy Bulloch something to do (though obviously Boba Fett at age 14 would be way out of his range).

Tim Rose can still play Ackbar if he gets into it.

Now the whole galaxy might've heard of Anakin Skywalker by the time of Episode 3. First he won the Boonta Eve Challenge, and in intergalactic sports pages, he must've made a name for himself from an early start. Next, his heroics in the Clone Wars, plus being apprenticed to the only Jedi Knight to ever slay a Sith Lord, Obi-Wan Kenobi (famous in his own right) makes for quite a resume.

By the time Luke Skywalker met Chewbacca, Luke already knew his dad was a Jedi Knight. As far as Chewie goes and what he knew - he'd tell Han things about their passengers privately. Knowledge is power, and Solo and Chewbacca know that. Luke and Ben were just their cargo during ANH - the friendship blossumed fully after the Battle of Yavin, and off-screen (though you could tell it was going to happen as Luke touched Han's softspot somehow, or he'd never have come back for him during the Death Star battle.)

Chewie's bond with Luke was apparently strong by the time of Empire Strikes Back, so Luke and Chewie must've had some time to talk about stuff - plus they teamed up to rescue Han, as Chewie indicated to Solo while they were in Jabba's dungeon.

I love the Classic Trilogy!

And I love the Prequels too!

C-3PO has his memory wiped. Not sure about R2, but R2 is more responsible with restricted data. We see that when he wouldn't play Leia's message for Luke, but only for Obi-Wan. Threepio just talks and talks. R2 wouldn't even tell Luke things later, most likely, unless Luke directly asked him, I'd bet.

I mean I don't think Luke ever knew that R2 served his mother was from her homeworld of Naboo. He just thought he was Leia's droid that the Jawas stole and Uncle Owen bought. Leia transfered R2's ownership to Obi-Wan, so to speak, when she sent him to the old Jedi Master, and Luke being Obi-Wan's apprentice, kind of inherited the droid - not to mention the fact that Luke's Uncle paid for both of them.

But if Yoda, Padme, or Obi-Wan ordered R2 to stay shut-up about information concerning the Skywalkers, he would, and would follow orders pretty strictly too, I'm sure. He wouldn't just engage Luke in idle gossip. But I'm sure if Luke asked, and once R2 established that Obi-Wan and Yoda were training Luke, or that Leia trusted him, and additionally was his sister, then R2 would have answered if Luke had asked him. But I mean maybe R2 also knows why Jawas smell bad - but unless you ask him, he's not going to bring it up.

But anyway, even if Chewie and R2 know Luke is Anakin's son, they don't know that Anakin is still alive and called Darth Vader now.

scruffziller
04-25-2003, 09:46 AM
The only way I could fathom seeing Chewie in EPS 3 is seeing him as in passing but no real deep involvement like they have with Boba Fett.

Tycho
04-25-2003, 09:54 AM
Well Boba Fett is set up for some confrontation with Mace, without a doubt due to the death of his father.

He's then one p-o'd brat that begins making a career of killing Jedi and wearing the padawan braids as his scalps.

That much is obvious.

Rogue II
04-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Maybe Boba Fett is the tie in to Chewbacca. Doesn't Boba Fett wear wookie scalps on his shoulder?

GL already trashed all EU stories about Boba Fett, why not mess with Chewbacca as well? :rolleyes:

Beast
04-25-2003, 11:14 AM
He's not trashed as much of Boba Fett's as you think. Even in the EU stories Boba Fett was kept somewhat mysterious. The two things that really could be considered negated now, really arn't. The one that Boba Fett was a Journaman Protector named Jaster Merrel. Now, while that is not the case he does wear Jaster's armor and that could easily confuse people.

And the other was that he was a rogue StormTrooper. And since he looks the same as many of the CloneTroopers/StormTroopers again this could be considered a case of confusion. As for Lucas saying Boba's dead in the Sarlaac, that I'd have to agree with. I hate that the EU ever said he was alive. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
04-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by aceguide
I like the ideaof Chewie being incorporated into III. However, I continue to struggle with some of the lack of recognition issues between key characters (Vader & the Droids, OB1 & the droids, etc.)

Pendo's idea is excellent, and maybe Boshek simply pointed out an opportune vessel, and voial - there's Chewie!

Well....Vader and the droids is easy enough to explain. There's loads of astromechs out there.....and, we already know from ESB that Vader might have recognized 3 po...so much so that he stops Fett from firing at him.

As for Obi Wan....all he says is that he doesn't recall ever owning any droids. He may have quite well known who R2 was.......he just was keeping schtum.

You have to remember, so far in the prequels, obi wan has not met c 3po.....and it could very well stay that way until ANH.

Tycho
04-25-2003, 10:49 PM
And no one would have known what "padawan scalps" were until at least Episode One, and it only would have given to more and more wild speculation about Fett, because he wasn't IN Episode One.

It makes little sense for Fett's character to scalp Wookiees now.

Plus, most Wookiees don't braid their hair, but those do really look like Padawan braids, and Lucas could have planned that much all along - that Fett was a relic from the Clone Wars, and took Jedi scalps.

The part about Jango etc he made up later, I'm sure, due to Fett's popularity.

joe-da
04-27-2003, 08:56 PM
Maybe Chewie has HIS memory wiped.....

RussUAE
04-27-2003, 11:57 PM
Maybe Chewie knew everything all along, but no one could really understand him, so that Han was just pretending he knew what Chewie said.

El Chuxter
04-28-2003, 02:36 PM
I saw ANH again yesterday and, since we don't hear Bo'Shek, it's possible he's hanging with Chewie and Obi-Wan says, "Excuse me, but I need to conduct some business with Chewbacca."

Maybe Obi-Wan knows firsthand exactly who the best starpilot in the cantina is. Or maybe he knows Chewie's teamed with a great pilot, and thinks Bo'Shek is that pilot?

Arrrgh, my head is gonna explode.

Tycho
04-28-2003, 03:38 PM
I have the extra-specially detailed, annotated screenplay, and it extrapolates on the dialogue:

OBI-WAN: Excuse me, what are you having?

BO SHEK: Just the local house brew because water's more expensive here. They actually have to take the time to distill that.

OBI-WAN: I see. [Point's to Chewbacca] And what are you having?

CHEWIE: Hairball remedy, Old Man. Want some?

OBI-WAN: No thank you. I don't think I will indulge in anything fancy. I wouldn't want to take anything that disagrees with my system so badly that it suddenly causes me to wake up and find something amputated.

BO SHEK: Just don't order the green stuff with the lumps and you'll be alright.

OBI-WAN: What's in that?

BO SHEK: It's the Customer Complaint Special, but it's not really safe to go on discussing that here.

OBI-WAN: Well, I'm looking for a pilot who can take me Coreward.

BO SHEK: That's cool. I'm a pilot you know, but I was going to go looking for my species' designated bathroom just before you walked up here. Maybe Chewie here can help. My friend's got a ship with plenty of headroom.

OBI-WAN: I can imagine. Hello. How do you do? I'm Ben.

CHEWIE: I don't care who you are. You got money? [Ben nods affirmatively] Alright then. I'm captain of the Millennium Falcon. Why don't I introduce you to Han, my kid intern I'm teaching to be my accountant. He'll set you up with a flight booking.

OBI-WAN: Thank you. I'd be most grateful if you'll introduce me.

Then he notices a fight about to be starting...

TheDarthVader
04-28-2003, 08:28 PM
I was thinking that Kenobi was looking for Chewbacca or might have just asked Bo Shek about a good pilot. It is possible that kenobi and chewbacca meet in epIII.
I hope that Solo is not a clone. I really hope.
I agree with JJB. I wish that EU would have never have stated that Boba Fett escaped from the Sarlaac. I wish he would have died there in ROTJ.

Tycho
04-29-2003, 02:20 AM
Why? It's such an undignified death: Fett's rocket pack is knocked from his backside by a blind man with a force pike!

I used to loathe Fett and wasn't even that interested until Episode 2 expanded on him, and especially Jango, but still, his character makes Boba a survivor. I doubt he'd have died in the sarlaac, but should meet his final end at the hands of a SEEING Han Solo!

Tonysmo
05-03-2003, 01:55 AM
Has anyone noticed the poll on the offical site? They want to know what kind of appearance Chewbacca should have.. wonder if he ( Lucas ) needs ideas, or if he has it set, and just wants to make sure he and his fans are on the page... dunno - so far the poll results are pretty much in agreement with what we think/want. A nice semi short but memorable appearance..

Tycho
05-03-2003, 03:42 AM
Chewie doesn't really even fit into the scheme of things. I'd vote that he'd get just a background appearance or no appearance at all. He's not really important to the prequel story.

I'm happy for Peter Mayhew though - so let's keep in the movie more for Peter's sake, than Chewie's.

Note: Chewbacca was my FIRST favorite character in all of Star Wars when I was a kid and first saw the movie in 1977. I have nothing but love for Chewie. I just also love a coherant movie with the least amount of unnecessary gratuities.

OC47150
05-14-2003, 03:34 PM
My two cents: I think we'll see a group of enslaved Wookies being led somewhere and Chewie will be in that group. I'd rank it on the same scale as Anthony Daniels' cameo in AOTC.

TheDarthVader
05-15-2003, 12:29 PM
I hope that Chewie doesn't get much screen time. I like the character, but a big role would seem out of place.

OC47150
05-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Just enough to say 'Ooh, there's Chewie." Like finding the Falcon in AOTC.

Jedi Clint
05-15-2003, 05:03 PM
Even a cameo appearance seems ridiculous IMO.

Jargo
05-15-2003, 06:16 PM
Perhaps he'll get to appear as Peter Mayhew himself in the background like Tony Daniels did, just a big tall guy with wild hair somewhere in the background crowd. I'd like to see kenny Baker get a cameo. A little walk on only or just revealed in a wide shot pan or something. because then they'll make action figures of them and give them star action figure status over all the other more interesting background characters......

I'd just like an appearance by decent script to be honest.

JEDIpartner
05-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I'd just like an appearance by decent script to be honest.

I'm with you on that one! :happy: Actually a very small (and I mean VERY small) appearance of Chewie wouldn't be completely offensive. I don't think he needs to play an integral part of forwarding the plot.

keith koth
06-10-2003, 03:01 PM
There is a report over on www.theforce.net that claims Peter Mayhew was quoted as saying that Chewbacca's role in EIII will be...................................."Chewbacca rescues the two children and delivers them to Ben Kenobi." (I'm assuming that he is refering to Luke and Leia)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-10-2003, 03:50 PM
(mike wets himself)

Man, i'm sure i'll get killed for saying that, but that is a really cool idea. Luke and Leia getting rescued by Chewie. It would make the first few times Leia cracks on him pretty funny considering how he saved them and it would also kinda give a goofy little fanboy meaning when he gives luke that big hug on Hoth. I can't wait!! :D

Dar Basra
06-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
You have to remember, so far in the prequels, obi wan has not met c 3po.....and it could very well stay that way until ANH.
They were both on Geonosis, though. And since 3PO and R2 accompany Anakin from there to Naboo for the secret wedding, I think it safe to presume that Obi-Wan and 3PO met during the clean up after the battle, or during the medical treatment of both Obi-Wan and Anakin, or the farewell to Anakin as he left to escrort Amidala back to Naboo.

I'm just not buying the whole "Obi and Chewie knew each other before the Cantina" plot line. It goes against the grain of the whole cantina scene. Why would Ben talk to BoShek at all if Chewie is there? It's not as if he's hard to pick out in a crowd. Why would he say to Luke "This is Chewbacca. He's first-mate on a ship that might suit our needs" instead of "Chewbacca and I go way back, so forget that part about scum and villainy - we can trust him." Why after the negotiations are done wouldn't Chewbacca mention to Han "Hey, I know this guy - he's alright." Aboard the Falcon when Han says "Our passengers must be hotter than I thought" why wouldn't Chewbacca say "Well, duh! That's Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight and general during the Clone Wars." It just doesn't work. ANH clearly meant it to just be a fortuitious chance meeting, not a reunion.

Why not just have Bobby Ewing appear in the shower in Ep.III and say it was all a dream?

gibbyhayes
06-10-2003, 04:27 PM
There's just not alot of meat to the quote. Chewie could rescue two kids and deliver them to some safe spot. In some sense nobody has to "know" one another. Besides, maybe all adult male wookies look alike (just like every other SW species).

Did that make any sense?

Jedi Clint
06-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Chewie interacting with Luke, Leia, and Obi Wan is a horrible idea.

I hope it doesn't happen!

plo koon 200
06-10-2003, 11:51 PM
If it makes sense for Chewie to be in there, good. If George screws up which it sounds like he might then bad. One good thing is that we don't have CGI Chewie. To be honest I am not a fan of old characters suddenly becoming computerized.

Tycho
06-11-2003, 12:41 AM
I envisioned JarJar redeeming himself by getting killed in order to succeed in that task.

Chewie replacing him for this moment? Well, it's Chewie! But I still need to take some time to think "gee, aint that the next big coincidence."

By the way, maybe Chewie did explain it to Han. Can anyone translate exactly what he says?

JEDIpartner
06-13-2003, 02:44 PM
quoted:

"StarWars.com recently opened their Episode III section. On the left menu is a picture of what appears to be Chewbacca holding a scepter and swinging on a vine (see here). Pablo Hidalgo, the man who's giving us the Episode III set diaries, confirmed that it is indeed an Episode III image, but gave no indication that it was of Chewbacca.

So, this makes me wonder exactly what Chewie's role in the Clone Wars will be, if he even has a role in the Wars."

Beast
06-13-2003, 03:09 PM
Maybe Lucas is finally going to do the Wookie equivelent of the Ewok battle from Return of the Jedi. With Chewbacca leading his people into battle against a force of CloneTroopers/StormTroopers when they've revealed themselves as the army of the Empire and are there to take control of his world. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
06-13-2003, 03:52 PM
Well... remember what he said: It's got a poetic rhythm to it.

Beast
06-13-2003, 03:55 PM
True enough, Lucas does have a passion for his tone poems. And that does fit with Return of the Jedi. The fall of the Republic, in comparison to the fall of the Empire. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
06-13-2003, 08:06 PM
I love Chewie, but I hope that it's a relatively small bit.

So far, my favorite cameo was good ol' R5-D4 just rolling by R2-D2 on the dusty streets of tatooine. That was perfect.

Remember all the wierd Episode II speculation about how he and R2 would have some sort of interaction which would imply that R5 blew his stack deliberately in ANH? BAD, BAD IDEA. . . I was totally worried for a while. Hey. I love the little red guy, but this was beginning to sound horribly trite beyond words.

Thankfully, he just rolled on by. That was cool. He was there. And it implied a great back story of R5-D4 being "stuck" on "if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet it's farthest from."

TheDarthVader
06-13-2003, 10:58 PM
Exactly at what point in AOTC does R5 "roll by"?

mark2d2
06-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Right after Anakin and Padme arrive on Tatooine, they hitch a ride in this odd rickshaw thing. R5 simply passes them -- going in the opposite direction. In the middle of the screen going right to left. He then rolls by R2 who is bringing up the rear. All of this is maybe . . . 5 seconds, tops. But he jumped right out at me when I first saw the film. . . much more so of course on the big screen. . .

Hopefully, Chewie does a wee bit more than THIS. But him saving the Skywalker twins sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

plo koon 200
06-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Jar Jar I think you may be right about the Wookie battle, but there is no doubt the original Chewie will still be in the film. I think the Wookies lose the battle just to make the Ewok battle all the more ironic.

plo koon 200
07-03-2003, 11:24 PM
We know now Basketball players have been cast to play many Wookies. Exciting!

Pendo
07-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Here's the man, Peter Mayhew, in all his glory as Chewbacca...

It's so good to have him back, however is it just me or is there something about him that just doesn't look right?

PENDO!

The Overlord Returns
07-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Here's the man, Peter Mayhew, in all his glory as Chewbacca...

It's so good to have him back, however is it just me or is there something about him that just doesn't look right?

PENDO!

At first I thought the oddness came from the lack of a bandolier in most of the shots...but...he looks kinda...well.....fat.

Pendo
07-09-2003, 11:45 AM
but...he looks kinda...well.....fat.

Well we can just persume he went on a SlimFast Diet for Wookies between the PT and OT :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

plo koon 200
07-09-2003, 11:54 AM
All the excerise from war made him lose weight.

OC47150
07-09-2003, 11:59 AM
His face in pix 1 and 3 does look a little thinner. Maybe the cheekbones are too high?

Jargo
07-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Looks weird but he is a tad younger and maybe if he's on his homeworld he gets fed well. perhaps being with han he doesn't get paid too much and so doesn't get his three square meals a day.... Space travel can play havoc with your metabolism y'know. ;)

JEDIpartner
07-09-2003, 03:24 PM
There's also a strangeness to his eyes... they aren't, well... blue.

Pendo
07-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Another difference, not too noticable, but may make a difference, is his hair. In the OT they used real hair to create the suit, but in Ep3 it's all synthetic. It doesn't look too bad and I suppose it could have been ALOT worse... could have been CGI :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

Tonysmo
07-09-2003, 10:45 PM
I think it may be due to us not ever seeing him in on a web cam.. Those pics are cool though... if they didnt have the text all over them, you might mistake them for amatuer pics of bigfoot..

Is it time yet? why must we wait till 2005?!

JEDIpartner
07-10-2003, 12:37 PM
You know... I was thinking the same thing... :p

Darth Spectre
07-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Any thoughts on the Mayhew quotes about him playing a role in delivering the twins (now that I'm thinking more about it, did he just mean delivering them to Obi-Wan or ACTUALLY delivering them??)? I guess it could work. I just really hope Lucas gets this Episode right. It really should be the best of the new trilogy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Peter Mayhew said on TFN that, from what he saw of the script, it surpasses TPM and AOTC. :cool: How can it not, I mean with Wookiee battles. :p

icatch9
07-23-2003, 11:40 AM
We know that Chewbacca is going to make an appearance in Episode III. It could be a big part the size of Bail Organa, or a small part the size of E.T. Still this got me to thinking, are Obi Wan and Chewy old pals?

When we first meet Chewy in ANH he's at the bar in the Cantina at Mos Eisly. We then see Obi Wan talking with Bo Shek, it seems that Obi Wan ask Bo first and then Bo directed him to Chewy. Thus the classic union was formed all thanks to Bo Shek. However, we really don't know what was said between Bo Shek and Obi Wan.

In the Star Wars radio drama the conversation is performed between Bo and Obi, in wich Bo turns down Obi-Wans request and directs him to Chewy (by the way Bo Shek is performed by none other than David Allen Greir of "In Living Color" fame). So, that would go against my theory, but the radio drama is the original EU and doesn't have to be cannon.

Again, this is hardly a theory and what we see in ANH would leave us to believe that Obi Wan and Chewy are nothing more than strangers and never meet before the cantina. Then again how does Obi Wan know Chewbacca's name? Does he speak wookie or does Bo Shek tell him his name? None of this is has an answer right now, but perhaps another logical approach to this theory is that Chewy does know who Obi Wan is and knows he is/was a great Jedi and knows something of the mission to save the galaxy. The wookie is old and wise and we don't know much about what he knows. So, again this could be a great twist/bridge for the PT and OT.

All Star Wars fans hope and prey that Chewy has some important part in Episode III and not a lame cameo. My theories are kind of good, so lets see what GL comes up with :D.

So what do you thing :D?

Pendo
07-23-2003, 12:41 PM
This MAY get moved to the Spoiler section, even though most spoiler free people probably already know about Chewie's return.

I hope that Chewie and Obi-Wan are old friends, as their meeting in the cantina may seem pretty coincidental otherwise. Although it would still be coincidental if they weren't old friends :rolleyes:. I think if they were old friends it would give a friendship bond between them in ANH thats not been seen before. It would somehow also make Chewie seem more upset at his death.

PENDO!

icatch9
07-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Ah, great point. I had forgotten how sad Chewy looks when they are flying out of the death star after Ben disapears.

That makes my theory even more interesting. :D

Toad
07-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Ah, great point. I had forgotten how sad Chewy looks when they are flying out of the death star after Ben disapears.

That is just pure coincidence. Not even George Lucas is that omnicient and blessed with foresight. I agree - I hope they ARE indeed friends, but any sort of expressions or lines in the OT can only be described as coincidental. Lucas may bend the stories around those coincidences, but they're still just that - coincidences.

JEDIpartner
08-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Episode III begins with a major battle involving Wookiees on a "never-before-seen" planet. I'm guessing Kashyyyk.

Chewie also acts as a "mid-wife" to Padme as she gives birth to the twins.

Hmmmmmm... :eek:

El Chuxter
08-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Well, I would avoid this section for the most part, but someone told me about the "midwife" bit. (Don't you love inconsiderate spoiler buffs? Oh, wait, you guys like spoilers, so I guess not. :D)

While the idea of "Battle of Kashyyyk" sounds nice, the midwife garbage makes me want to vomit. I can think of absolutely no way George can possibly pull this off. For this reason, I am now suggesting that Kevin Smith and Steven Spielberg, working together, have Uncle George committed to a loony bin and (with script help from Timothy Zahn, Simon Furman, and M Knight Shymalan) make a four-hour epic Episode III that lives up to all our dreams.

Darth Spectre
08-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Again I ask, do we really know about that whole midwife stuff? I mean Mayhew said he would have a role in delivering the twins, but does that mean he meant literally delivering them (from Padme's womb) or delivering them from or to someone (ie. Obi-Wan or Bail)? When I first read Mayhew's statement, I honestly thought more of the latter than the former. As far as I know, the midwife stuff has sprung from Mayhew's statement alone, and that might just be misinterpretation.

El Chuxter
08-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Hmm. If Mayhew only said Chewie "delivered" the twins, it makes more sense. I have a hard time imagining even the senile ol' Lucas putting a delivery room scene in E3, and if the Wookiee battle is in the beginning, and most of what we assume about E3 places the birth near the end, the logistics seem wrong.

Still, if Chewbacca hears the names C-3PO, R2-D2, Luke, Leia, or Skywalker, the entire classic trilogy is turned to mush.

OC47150
08-08-2003, 07:38 AM
I'm interpreting 'deliver' as in handling a package, not birthing babies.

Darth Spectre
08-08-2003, 09:43 AM
I'm interpreting 'deliver' as in handling a package, not birthing babies.

I absolutely agree. Unless someone has a quote from Lucasfilm or Mayhew specifically talking about helping with the birth of the twins, I believe Mayhew meant delivering the twins to someone or for someone.

Chewtobacco
08-19-2003, 09:44 AM
Very cool ideas about Chewbacca in Ep 3. He deserves a role. But it doesn't make sense to me that he'd be wrapped up in Obi-Wan's crusades because Obi-Wan would have recognized him in Ep 1. Either that or vice-versa. It would have at least been brought up in the OT.

I think if Chewie is brought up, he won't have a large role at all. Maybe just a cameo.

Darth Spectre
08-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Yes, how the whole Chewie/Wookiee thing plays out will be interesting to see. I just hope it is good. I just hope EP III is good period. LOL

gtrain29
08-22-2003, 11:11 AM
This MAY get moved to the Spoiler section, even though most spoiler free people probably already know about Chewie's return.

I hope that Chewie and Obi-Wan are old friends, as their meeting in the cantina may seem pretty coincidental otherwise. Although it would still be coincidental if they weren't old friends :rolleyes:. I think if they were old friends it would give a friendship bond between them in ANH thats not been seen before. It would somehow also make Chewie seem more upset at his death.

PENDO!

Does anyone recall this line:

"You said it Chewie. Where did you dig up that old fossil?" -- Han Solo translating Chewbacca's insult of Obi-Wan Kenobi on the deathstar.

Taking the tone of voice used, I don't think they were joking about what they thought of the "damn fool." Therefore, it is less likely that old Ben was a friend of Chewie's and more likely that Obi-Wan was just a stranger that they took up on an offer because they were so desperate for cash at the time (remember Jabba was upset with them).

So, if Chewbacca & Obi-Wan are old friends, then maybe Han, like the rest of us, can't understand anything Chewie says and was simply stating his feelings in the translation. It seems more reasonable, though, that Chewbacca had no idea who Obi-Wan was and regretted letting him get them into their current predicament.

Darth Spectre
08-22-2003, 11:21 AM
I agree. Even if they interact at some point in EP III, they should not be friends. Or else why would Chewie dis Obi-Wan like that? At best, he probably could have looked familiar to Chewie, but that is probably about it.

Pendo
08-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Does anyone recall this line:

"You said it Chewie. Where did you dig up that old fossil?" -- Han Solo translating Chewbacca's insult of Obi-Wan Kenobi on the deathstar.

Taking the tone of voice used, I don't think they were joking about what they thought of the "damn fool." Therefore, it is less likely that old Ben was a friend of Chewie's and more likely that Obi-Wan was just a stranger that they took up on an offer because they were so desperate for cash at the time (remember Jabba was upset with them).

So, if Chewbacca & Obi-Wan are old friends, then maybe Han, like the rest of us, can't understand anything Chewie says and was simply stating his feelings in the translation. It seems more reasonable, though, that Chewbacca had no idea who Obi-Wan was and regretted letting him get them into their current predicament.

I never thought of that, but just because Chewie disagrees with something Obi-Wan does, it doesn't mean they're not friends.

Just before Chewie makes his comment Obi-Wan says "May the force be with you." Maybe Chewbacca is like Han and doesn't believe in 'the force', so his comment could be something about that. It wouldn't mean he doesn't like him and they're not friends.

If they do end up friends I wouldn't consider that an inconsistency between the PT and OT. The only way we'd really know is if we knew what Chewbacca said.

PENDO!

Jargo
08-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Han isn't translating Chewie's comment just agreeing with him. He then directs a comment of his own voiving his own opinion at Luke. Chewie says something we never get translated. It's just a throw away comment. Chewie probably says that Obi-Wan is crazy and Han is just agreeing with him. I mean the old man has just gone off alone on a suicide mission into the very heart of the death star. Han doesn't hold with the Jedi traditions and disciplines so he too thinks he's just crazy, naturally he'd agree with Chewie. But chewie knows Obi of old maybe and is just passing comment because he's seen this sort of mad behaviour before. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Ben and Chewie were friends but I would say they know each other as aquaintances. Enough for Chewie to take them straight to Han in the cantina on trust alone. Chewie would recognise Ben's smell anyway. He's a creature famed for it's sense of smell so he'd recognise Obi-Wan straight away, sense that he was a Jedi. Know that he could trust someone who also fought in the clone wars. Possibly alongside him.