PDA

View Full Version : ARC Trooper

sith_killer_99
04-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Is it just me or does this guy look like a kit bashed Clone Trooper with a Sandtrooper pauldron, a Snowtrooper waistcoat and the Fett's viewfinder and forearm gadgets?!?!

Personally, I think the waistcoat and forearm gadgets were a little over the top.

So what does everyone else think of this new Trooper?

Tonysmo
04-27-2003, 01:50 AM
WHAT in SAM HELL is THAT?? Since when do the clones wear Kilts? and the range finder?? Whats HASBRO thinking? lets take a lil bit from each character and roll out a NEW clone.. I dont get it.. Maybe its an EVIL clone who beats up Boba Fett, and takes his dads stuff from him..

Personally I think its over the top like you said..

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Acually I think it's kinda neat looking, like a special ops group or something like that...

Deoxyribonucleic
04-27-2003, 02:15 PM
I think I have a "love/hate" relationship with this one. I'll find out which side wins when I actually see the thing carded. Picturing it with the new CW carding, I think I might just have to pick him up...the card is busy looking, the trooper is busy looking...it'll make for a good wall piece ;)

IMO, I do think the trooper wouldn't be SO bad if they took off the viewfinder.

DarthBrandon
04-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
I think I have a "love/hate" relationship with this one. I'll find out which side wins when I actually see the thing carded. Picturing it with the new CW carding, I think I might just have to pick him up...the card is busy looking, the trooper is busy looking...it'll make for a good wall piece ;)

IMO, I do think the trooper wouldn't be SO bad if they took off the viewfinder.

Sure D, If I know you, you'll be buying two or three with out a doubt. I'll be buying at least two if you'd be so kind as to pick them up for me.LOL:D

aceguide
04-27-2003, 04:26 PM
I like the looks of the ARC Trooper a lot. Certainly not our usual bag of SW toys, but variety is good.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by brandon
Sure D, If I know you, you'll be buying two or three with out a doubt. I'll be buying at least two if you'd be so kind as to pick them up for me.LOL:D

Hahahha. . .damnit, you know me to well! 2 ARC troops, CHECK! Mental list updated ;) :D

Can't wait to see the new packaging up close and personal!

Kidhuman
04-27-2003, 10:50 PM
It has an odd appeal to it. I kinda like it. The morwe Ilook at it it grows on ya. I will pick it up without a second thought.

And DNA as long as your buying I take 37 of em.

LTBasker
04-27-2003, 11:25 PM
The things I don't like about it are the Mandalorian and Snowtrooper elements. Shows a full lack of originality, even more so than just the Stormtrooper/Mandalorian combination of the original Clone Trooper armor. The pauldron and gun is reasonable, but I especially hate the way they're portrayed in the comics. They're really taking the Clone Wars thing way too far, Durge and the ARC Trooper are evidence of that. I really hope neither of these are chosen by Lucas to be canon like Aayla Secura.

But I digress. :D

The figure itself looks interesting, and I wouldn't mind an army of'em, however the thing that's really dissapointing is the lack of articulation, it appears to just have basic articulation, if even that with the skirt..

Prince Xizor
04-28-2003, 12:44 AM
I like it, I see nothing wrong with combining the best parts of other figures to make one bad-*** figure. Then again, it wasn't Hasbro that designed it, it comes from the comic book. But I do wish it was a little more war-torn or dirty. The thing has supposed to have been through rigourus training and warfare.

Dark Marble
04-29-2003, 01:58 PM
It looks ok to me, I will pick up a few of these guys...if I can find them. :rolleyes:

BRH0224
04-30-2003, 12:47 AM
I'm a big fan of these guys. You have your regular Army/Navy, then you have your Rangers/SEALs. I like their more independent thought patterns. I'll get 4 or 5 of these guys when they come out.

OC47150
04-30-2003, 05:09 PM
I can see the origins of the snowtrooper in this figure. I'll get several, too.

Janzeke Khan
05-16-2003, 01:13 PM
OC47150 I'm glad you said that. You guys forget that the Empire's army was formed from the Mandalorians Even The Royal Gaurds decined from the Mandalorians.(The Death Wacth actually, check Star Wars.com for info on Impria Royal Gaurd.)

I personaly Find the Sculpt horid. They should resculpt it to look Like the Comic version.

JEDIpartner
05-16-2003, 01:37 PM
I like it quite well, actually. It has a lot of elements from the PT and OT combined. I don't have a problem with the EU toys.. I think it just makes for more fun.

InsaneJediGirl
05-16-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm with JP,I loveEU toys,so it isnt so bad.The one thing I would change is the arm with the control panel of sorts.Takes away from the cool armor.

Turbowars
05-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Looks like a well put together custom to me. I like it, but the skirt needs to to go.

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-18-2003, 07:18 PM
The more I read the comics the more I look foreward to this figure!

jjreason
05-19-2003, 02:46 PM
I find him too busy. The whole thing about stormies and clones is their apparent "sterile" look - uncaring and merciless. This guy is too done up: too many colours, too many weird accessories to have the anonymity required in infantry. An easy target in other words.

dirtydroid
05-19-2003, 06:19 PM
I prefer the movie figures. It makes collecting difficult when they include EU figures or from cartoons. They're nice, but I'd rather stick with the original characters.

Chiesa
05-21-2003, 09:42 PM
Well it looks good to me! Wouldn't mind getting my hands on them once they are out! :D

jeffonthego
05-22-2003, 09:06 AM
It's like they tried to grab all the features they could fit on to one trooper and make him a super-trooper.

George, ya should have told 'em it doesn't work that way.

Any ONE of the Snowtrooper skirt, Sandtrooper shoulder pad or Fett antenna might have worked - individually! As a good nod to future . . .

But all together? No way, it looks silly.

Oh, as for the gun (too big) and wrist thing (what's that) - forget about it - no thanks.

jedi master sal
05-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Well, I for one like this figure. I've read the comics with him in it and enjoy seeing this in the SW universe. During these non-movies years it's nice to see some new life breathed into SW.

This guy IS Jango's clone. He is in fact one of a few "Alpha" clnes. Which is to say, next to Boba himself, the ARC trooper is the closest thing to Jango as you can get. Now, having a few or more of him around, seems to make sense. Jango was the best before his untimely demise. So the ARC trooper kinda takes his place until Boba is prepared o take up the mantle of his "father".

I like all of the gadgetry. He's more like a Mandolorian in Clonetrooper armor.

Pick up the comics (Star Wars: Republic...and be sure it says a "Clone Wars" comic on the top of it) if you haven't already. He'll grow on you like he has for most of us who have read of his adventures.

jjreason
05-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Does that mean there's only one ARC trooper? Good, save me a few dollars that will. :)

Tycho
05-23-2003, 04:15 PM
How many ARC Troopers are there?

In the Republic comic #50 "Attack on Kamino," it's summarized like this:

Shaak-Ti was in command there for sometime since Yoda first brought the clones into battle.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is returning to take command, since he is most familiar with Kamino.

The Separatists attack, bringing the Mon Calamari with their amphibious assault capability into the fray, along with the usual destroyer droids and super battle droids, etc. Their objective is to destroy the cloning facility, thereby depriving the Republic of troops.

Lacking fully trained clone commanders at home (they are off to battle), 3 special forces clones, personally trained by Jango Fett in the Mandalorian Arts, are released from stasis.

They were kept there because they were too independent. Perhaps they were mistakes, as they were the alphas. Then the Kaminoans learned that they had to suppress Jango's personality, and make more obedient soldiers.

2 of them were killed in the attack while they tried to save the Clone children with Shaak-Ti. Obi-Wan and Anakin interveined and they all fought side by side.

Anakin and the surviving ARC Trooper are learning a begrudging respect for one another, and Anakin is learning to like having someone follow HIS orders, when he and the ARC Trooper are separated from Obi-Wan. Anakin is learning to think in military strategic terms, and by way of taking more practical actions for immediate gains, by doing business with the ARC Trooper - rather than thinking the way a Jedi would.

So there were 3, and now there is 1.

jedi-cpa
06-06-2003, 04:48 PM
"Acually I think it's kinda neat looking, like a special ops group or something like that..."

They are clones for goodness sake!!! What makes a clone special versus garden variety (of should I say clone chamber variety).

DarthChuckMc
06-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Anakin is learning to like having someone follow HIS orders, when he and the ARC Trooper are separated from Obi-Wan. Anakin is learning to think in military strategic terms, and by way of taking more practical actions for immediate gains, by doing business with the ARC Trooper - rather than thinking the way a Jedi would.

I like the way they are tying the Vader/Stormtrooper relationship together with this story. It's all coming together as Chancellor Palpa.............I mean.............the Emperor forseen.

seth_quinn
06-08-2003, 10:41 AM
it doesn't seem so bad to me. with out reading the comics and having any other background info other than what I've read prior to this post, here's how I see it: he (since I guess there's only one left) is a super trooper so he's got super gear, some elements like the view finder and gun stay true to his own origins, others like the pauldron and waistcoat show us the origins of the sand and snow troopers to come.

as for the actual figure itself; after looking at the photo I double checked the cdb and assume that the binoculars are molded to the pauldron since they're not listed as an accessory. yeah, not so big on that, nor what seems to be this new paint that hasbro is using, like boba-carkoon, it just makes the figure look too bright. admittedly, this one and durge do look a bit over the top and might look somewhat off posed next to most of the other figures, (unlikely) but maybe this is the sort of thing that will catch a child's eye and bring new retail blood to the line. as for the gun, give me one of those over whatever those tiny pieces of crap hasbro's packing in with the hoth han, rebel trooper etc. any day, if I was still a child I'd have those little things lost before I could get the package open. at least with a gun this size I've stood a chance.

after going back and proof reading (unbelievable but true), it seems like I've panned this figure to some degree, but overall I really do like it and look forward to getting one. any faults I've found with it really aren't any different then with the 13 other new figures that arrived last week. such is the state of hasbro's product.

Turbowars
06-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by seth_quinn

after looking at the photo I double checked the cdb and assume that the binoculars are molded to the pauldron since they're not listed as an accessory.
I don't think they are binoculars Seth_guinn. If you have the Sandtrooper army builder(POTJ version) you will see that it's the same piece and it is molded to the pauldron. It looks like a bag or some kind of ammo holder. Like a said before, I like it, but it just doesn't look real, I mean it just looks like a custom. Where did this photo come from? I'm sure it will get cleaned up a bit as most protos do.

tagmac
06-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Interestingly, KebCo is offering the Arc Trooper as a pre-order along with Anakin pilot and Yoda. However, I pre-ordered a set of 3 from EE, and it was Dirge, NOT the ARC trooper. I'm not sure, but I think KebCo may have made a mistake, as there are no pictures to verify on their site, but as far as I know, the first case is just Yoda, Anakin, and Dirge. Anyone have any more info on this? I don't wanna pre-order the ARC trooper from Kebco, and receive a second Dirge fig.

KEBco
06-10-2003, 05:42 PM
We have checked again with our sales rep at Hasbro, who then went all the way to the VP of Marketing to be sure what figure will be offered.
According to Hasbro, it will be the ARC Trooper not Dirge.
Was also told they (Hasbro) will try to contact the sites that have listed the Dirge incorrectly.
Hope this helps.
KEBco :D

seth_quinn
06-10-2003, 06:40 PM
is it a bad thing when you don't even know what figures you have or what they look like? a few months ago I burned myself because I didn't even realize I had one (potj sand-t) and now I just did it again because I don't remember what he looks like. I've now officially moved him out of the rubbermaid and into a place of prominence on my desk. hopefully I can now keep from embarrassing further myself in the future.

tagmac
06-10-2003, 07:07 PM
So I guess this means I'll be getting the ARC trooper,and not Dirge, in my set from EE.

KEBco
06-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Unless they are getting a case assortment that is not know by Hasbro, looks like you will get the ARC Trooper. But, Dirge is coming, just later.
KEBco

tagmac
06-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I just checked, and they changed Dirge to the ARC Trooper at EE.

Teeska Mon Eebon
06-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by jedi-cpa
"Acually I think it's kinda neat looking, like a special ops group or something like that..."

They are clones for goodness sake!!! What makes a clone special versus garden variety (of should I say clone chamber variety).

uhhhhhh If you watched the movie you will notice there are many "Garden Varieties" branching off from the regular foot soldier you have trained pilots, Commanders, seargents, artilery personel, and so on.... so what keeps them from specialy training some to be more macho than the others?

vulcantouch
10-02-2003, 12:53 AM
while i agree w/many of the criticisms of the arc y'all have made here (many dead-on months b4 it even retailed, good job :) ), now that i've seen them in person i've decided i wouldn't mind having one, so check my figtrade thred (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19107) just in case i got sumthin you might like :)
vt

sith_killer_99
10-03-2003, 11:54 AM
OK, despite all my criticisms, I like this figure and I already have a few for my loose Clone Army!

I was able to find a few of these in person, but still had to resort to Ebay to get a few extras. I really had to see these loose, up close and in person before I decided to buy any extras. BTW, all my loose ARC troopers came from the Wal-Mart 2 packs (gotta have the extra Clones!).

Has anyone else noticed that the waist coat is removable (along with the viewfinder).

Jedi Tech
10-03-2003, 11:12 PM
I have two or three myself and I like them quite a bit, I also got mine via e-bay in two-pack form, very nice figure IMO.

Banthaholic
10-04-2003, 12:11 AM
I like the ARC. I got him single carded and also the value pack. He's a spiffy little clone I tell ya.

JangoFart
10-04-2003, 05:18 AM
Now THAT'S what I like to see! People confronting their inner-nerd and appreciating their hobby, as opposed to fussing about it too much!

Welcome, brothers!

J

Old Fossil
10-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Got three ARC Troopers, all from WM Value-Packs. Very cool figure! The viewfinder had fallen off one of 'em inside the package, but it popped right back on. The skirt had come loose from the same one, but luckily it snaps back together firmly and easily.

Now I've got one ARC swinging down from my Command Gunship, blasting away at poor TC-14, who sits on a shelf nearby. I feel like a kid again! "Now THESE are action figures!"

JediTricks
11-04-2003, 12:42 AM
What's with this figure's left hand pose? What is that for, lightsaber practice? I can't find anything for that hand to look natural doing.

Also, not to harp on the ARF Trooper, but his viewfinder is barely staying in his head and his shouler armor is super loose.

LTBasker
11-04-2003, 06:07 AM
What's with this figure's left hand pose? What is that for, lightsaber practice? I can't find anything for that hand to look natural doing.

Actually the ARC Trooper makes a great commander for other Clones in displays. Check out the pic below... The bent finger is the only draw back, but you could heat up the figure to soften it up and reposistion it I bet.

The best part though is that with the arm up, the pauldron is secured between the arm and neck so it doesn't look loose. Also from a distance the hand looks ok even if bent. Or you can always put the blaster in the left hand and he'll kinda look like he's bored. :D

The best way I can tell ya to mess with the viewfinder is to put pressure on the bottom piece as you turn it. This way it doesn't screw loose and fall out. It may be already looser on other's though...

When the new articulated Clone comes out, I hope to kitbash blue and red ARC Troopers with a couple articulated Clones and get some nice poses in there.

JediTricks
11-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Pretty generous IMO. ;) Maybe he was supposed to come with a shotgun or something, that hand's pose is totally useless in most poses for me.

Also, there's no hope for that viewfinder on mine.

OC47150
11-05-2003, 08:49 AM
A little OT but I found the red ARC trooper this morning at Target. Very nice. Same as the blue one except for the red trim.

JediTricks
11-09-2003, 06:53 AM
Maybe he was supposed to come with a shotgun or something, that hand's pose is totally useless in most poses for me.After saying that just the other day, I bought Deluxe Durge today and noticed that he actually comes with a stormtrooper blaster-based rifle that sports a shotgun grip. As I said in my review of Durge, between the stormtrooper origin and the shotgun grip of this rifle, I think this gun was actually meant for the ARC Trooper who has the proper lineage for the weapon to be based upon and has hands that seem to be sculpted specifically to hold this gun rather than the big beefy job it actually comes with.

Vegeta Jr
11-11-2003, 04:01 PM
I may have a possible variation of the ARC Trooper.

(I'll try to post a pic as soon as my digital camera begins working again)

The four dots on his chest are there, but the second and fourth dots are not filled in (the outline is there though). I got it at Walmart a couple weeks ago and didn't notice the difference until I opened it up.

Is this a paint error or a variation?

As said before, I'll post a pic as soon as my digital camera begins working again.

OC47150
11-11-2003, 04:08 PM
I'd be willing to bet a paint error. I've noticed in a couple of the clone trooper 3-packs that Hasbro's painters have gotten out of the lines more than they have in the past.

JediTricks
11-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Paint error, I'd stake money on it.

Sinister Lord
11-11-2003, 10:00 PM
A little OT but I found the red ARC trooper this morning at Target. Very nice. Same as the blue one except for the red trim.

Yeah, I found this same variant at my local Target yesterday. The ARC Trooper looks very very cool with the red trim.

Vegeta Jr
11-15-2003, 09:19 PM
This is off-topic somewhat:
Not sure if this should be in the just found section, (sorry if it should have been put there) but where have people been finding the Red ARC Trooper online for under $20?