PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best Movie or TV car?

JediTricks
04-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Between the '60s and the '90s, there have been a surprisngly large amount of cars that have stolen the spotlight in the entertainment business. Sadly, the jaded '90s and our current times have left most of our 4-wheeled stars behind and look at the state of the world since! But which of those classics are the best? There are a ton, here's just an example:

- Batmobile (Batman '60s TV show and it's spin-off movie)
- General Lee (Dukes of Hazzard)
- KITT (Knight Rider)
- the Black Beauty (The Green Hornet)
- B.A.'s van (The A-Team)
- Delorean time machine (Back to the Future trilogy)
- Batmobile (Batman 1989 movie and sequel)
- Aston Martin DB5 (Goldfinger)
- Jet Car (The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension)
- Viper Defender (Viper)
- Al Bundy's Dodge (Married... with Children)
- etc.

There's like a billion more, several Bond cars immediately come to mind, and one could even make a case for the half-dozen animated Batmobiles there have been over the years (though that opens the door to stuff like the Mystery Machine and Speed Buggy).

Tonysmo
04-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Austin Powers had a pretty "shagadelic" car.. The timewarp bug was pretty cool as well..

please oh please dont bring up the fast and the furious.. never saw it, dont want to see it.. bad times.. bad times..

Pendo
04-27-2003, 07:06 AM
My fave TV/Movie cars are The 60's Batmobile, and 007's DB5 :). I wan't a DB5, I'm trying to find a silver one though but they are impossible to find :(.

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
04-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Knight Riders KITT is at the top of my list followed closely by the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard.

JON9000
04-27-2003, 12:21 PM
I always has a soft spot for James Bond's Lotus from "The Spy Who Loved Me"

It could turn into a combat submarine! For zipping around on the road though, I don't think you could get much more style than the old DB-5

Kidhuman
04-27-2003, 02:02 PM
I would take Starsky and Hutch's car.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Definitely the Delorean Time Machine car from BTTF!!!

I WILL own one of these soon too btw :) Well, without the time machine stuff ;)

DarthBrandon
04-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
Definitely the Delorean Time Machine car from BTTF!!!

I WILL own one of these soon too btw :) Well, without the time machine stuff ;)

It's not the same without the Time Machine, it cheapens the effect it would have on you.:D

Mine is the 1967 SHELBY MUSTANG GT 500 from Gone In 60 Seconds. Sweet Ride!

James Boba Fettfield
04-27-2003, 02:26 PM
"Everyone can relax, I found the car."

That quote, of course, is referring to the Ectomobile, which I am upset has not been mentioned yet.

Oh, and I was always notcing that beautiful Charger that Blade had in the movies. Go Charger!

scruffziller
04-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Delorean

The 'Xir
04-27-2003, 08:03 PM
NO NO NO NO......NO!!!!!

You're all wrong! The best car is obvious!!! There is only one and can only be one #1 and that is...

Herbie the Love Bug!!! :D

Case closed! ;) Am I right?!!! :D

jeddah
04-27-2003, 09:11 PM
1977 Lotus Esprit S1 (Spy who loved me)

jeddah

Deoxyribonucleic
04-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by brandon
It's not the same without the Time Machine, it cheapens the effect it would have on you.:D

Mine is the 1967 SHELBY MUSTANG GT 500 from Gone In 60 Seconds. Sweet Ride!

If the effects were real, well then, HOP ON IT ;)

I'll take that Shelby too, I forgot how extremely cool those cars are! There's a lot of those down here in So. Cal that I see running around during car show time, very nice!

good shot jansen
04-28-2003, 09:11 AM
the mach 5 baby! coolest dayum car ever conceived!

miss penelope's fab 1 was drop dead gorgeous. - thunderbirds

back to reality now (like any 007 car is reality :rolleyes: )

mrs. peel's lotus europa was so slick when compared to steed's bently (actually steeds bently was fine automobile as well!) - the avengers

waaaay waaaay waaaaay back in the late 60's early 70's manufacturer's hanover bank had an ad campaing for car loans, they had created an automobile called the any car (http://www.javelinamx.com/carstars/anycar.jpg)

here's a rear view (http://www.javelinamx.com/carstars/anycar2.jpg) i saw this car once at the ny auto show, i think i was 10 or 11 at the time, i thought it was a really cool ride!

the monkeemobile was pretty kewel. (http://www.javelinamx.com/carstars/monkee1.jpg)

the munsters family vehicle was a riot (http://www.javelinamx.com/carstars/mm1.jpg), as was grampa's drag-ula (http://www.javelinamx.com/carstars/dragula1.jpg)

the modified lotus (http://www.javelinamx.com/carstars/prisner1.jpg) from the 60's brit show the prisoner was dayum awsome!

that's about all's i can recall for now

darthvyn
04-28-2003, 11:06 AM
wow! that "any car" is crazy! there's a lot of metal fab work to be done to splice one car into another like that... i know that's a VW beetle in the back, but what is the care that it's in? looks like a packard or something...

well, you all know KITT is a the top of my list, but it's followed closely by the general lee...

Mandalorian Candidat
04-28-2003, 12:29 PM
You guys are all wrong. The best car is Homer Simpson's POC. You can put a NYC boot on it, jackhammer it to pieces, paste seashells on it, and drop a sturgeon on it from the Mir spacestation and in the next episode it's 100% fixed right down to the coat hanger antenna.

James Bond's cars? No way! Those cars never last more than the two hours or so that they're seen on screen. Homer's car has lasted more than 13 years. That's much better than the average car life; especially seeing how Homer drives. :D

good shot jansen
04-28-2003, 03:19 PM
the back fins of the any car i believe are from a chrysler 300 "L"

the front is a mish mosh of a mustang (the head lights), a continental mark III (grill and hood), impala (front quarter panel) with the amc javelin fenders thrown in, the lower portion of the front grille (below the bumper) is from a camaro ss. the doors i believe are from a ford fairline convertable, i have no idea where the windshield is from.

Lobito
04-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Magnum's Ferrari
Cursor (transformed into a car in Automan)
Any 007 Car... and

Tron's bike, although its not a car it definitely was koolaid!!

:D

Jedi Clint
04-28-2003, 04:57 PM
I love the Ghostbusters' ride!

As yet unmentioned:

The ghost car from the movie "The Wraith"
"Christine"

JediTricks
04-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
My fave TV/Movie cars are The 60's Batmobile, and 007's DB5 :). I wan't a DB5, I'm trying to find a silver one though but they are impossible to find :(. The one from Goldfinger was originally painted red before the 007 production team got their hands on it - it was one of Aston Martin's prototypes and used in their early advertising photos, which is why there are some non-Bond-based differences between it and the production version.

TSWLM's Lotus submarine is another great Q-car.

Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
"Everyone can relax, I found the car."

That quote, of course, is referring to the Ectomobile, which I am upset has not been mentioned yet.

Oh, and I was always notcing that beautiful Charger that Blade had in the movies. Go Charger! 2 good choices that simply hadn't sprung to mind when I made this thread. Dan Akroyd wrote the Ecto to be haunted, but the scenes didn't make the final cut of the film. I really didn't care for the modifications they made to it for the sequel either.

Xir, another good mention. I know waaaay too many people who haven't seen any of the films though, that always astounds me. I get a little misty every time that scene plays where Herbie tries to kill himself.

GSJ, the Mach V is great, but those auto-jacks seem to be longer than the car itself half the time. :D

MC, Homer's pink piece of crap has been destroyed several times. If it was so great, then how come Homer's dream car looked NOTHING like it? Also, Bond's DB5 has never been destroyed in the films, he crashed it into a wall, but it survived.

Lobito, the lightcycle is another great choice, though clearly Cursor's auto mode is a bad ripoff of that. ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
04-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
MC, Homer's pink piece of crap has been destroyed several times. If it was so great, then how come Homer's dream car looked NOTHING like it? Also, Bond's DB5 has never been destroyed in the films, he crashed it into a wall, but it survived.

Yet it always comes back to life, doesn't it... ;)

El Chuxter
04-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Eric Foreman's Vista Cruiser

"The Homer: The car designed by Homer for Homer"

Edit: How could I forget the Second-Base-Mobile, if only because of the cool name?

good shot jansen
04-29-2003, 04:10 PM
speaking of tv vehicles which come back to life, how about the 1928 porter that was supposed to be jerry van dykes reincarnated mom in the 1960's short lived sit com, "my mother the car"?

hoo wee! jolly jeepers!, that was sum mighty fine programming genius there! :rolleyes:

Darth Jax
04-29-2003, 10:15 PM
bond's lotus submarine was the coolest car ever. have always wanted one for myself since, yes i realize it won't actually be a sub.

honorable mention must go to the bat vehicles (mobile, boat, wing - all cool), grandpa munster's dragster coffin and the mustang driven by seagal in marked for death.

jedihunter25
04-29-2003, 10:28 PM
1. Mel Gibson's car in Mad Max/The Road Warrior- I think it's an AMX
2. Luke's (I mean Mark's) Corvette in Corvette Summer
3. The Garth Mobile

Dialogus
04-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Cheech & Chong's weed-made truck:p!

Darth Jax
04-29-2003, 10:59 PM
originally posted by jedihunter25
The Garth Mobile

haven't seen wayne's world in ages but believe the vehicle was called the mirth-mobile

Mandalorian Candidat
04-30-2003, 12:22 PM
I give my vote for most innovative car to the Dogmobile in Dumb and Dumber. The part where Harry has to lift it's leg to fill the gas tank was pretty funny.

mabudonicus
04-30-2003, 12:50 PM
I vote for those dune buggies from Megaforce... heck, ANY vehicle from Megaforce, they were my fave as a kid, back when the movie still seemed like GENIUS to me.... I loved the way the paint would show the outlines of things that had been sitting on the cars, and the way the motorbikes flew (oh, the motorbikes in Battlestar Galactica were real cool too)
Coyote from Hardcastle and Mccormick would be my fave "real" car though... DRIVE!!!!
(oh, and definitely Mach 5, Sunburst special or GRX from speed racer, cartoon wise)

plasticfetish
05-01-2003, 03:15 AM
Mmmm ... so many great cars ...

One that I don't see above, that I would love to own is The 1968 Mustang 390 GT that Steve McQueen drove in Bullitt. One of the best car chases ever in that film ... the sounds effects alone make me want to watch it whenever its on.

I didn't see the '77 Trans Am from Smokie and the Bandit mentioned.

Anything made by George Barris is great. He did the Batmobile, the Munsters Koach, Dragula, The Green Hornet, the Beverly Hillbillies Jalopy, the Monkey Mobile and on and on ... and on.

When I first moved to Los Angeles I would stand outside his shop looking in the windows amazed. I consider George Barris to be one of my favorite artists. (He's a nice sweet guy too.)

Arrogant Arse
05-01-2003, 10:52 AM
1960's Batmobile is probably the best TV car.

The best movie car is Steve McQueen's Mustang in Bullitt. Similar to the Gone in 60 Seconds Mustang, but Cooler because of the McQueen factor.

JediTricks
05-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Yet it always comes back to life, doesn't it... ;) Only thanks to the magic of non-continuity. :D

Originally posted by good shot jansen
speaking of tv vehicles which come back to life, how about the 1928 porter that was supposed to be jerry van dykes reincarnated mom in the 1960's short lived sit com, "my mother the car"?

hoo wee! jolly jeepers!, that was sum mighty fine programming genius there! :rolleyes: I hate to say it, but even that car was pretty lame. Why choose such an extreme premise and then give it the most conspicuous car for her soul to live in?

Originally posted by plasticfetish
When I first moved to Los Angeles I would stand outside his shop looking in the windows amazed. I consider George Barris to be one of my favorite artists. (He's a nice sweet guy too.)
Very cool pic! His place is cool, I've only been there a couple time though. I hear some of the cars on display there have really fallen into disrepair lately though, and the Batmobile he had there was finally so decrepit that they had to retire it from public viewing. I think it's cool that he bought that Licoln Futura concept car from Ford for $1. :D

keith koth
05-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Will Smith's Sweeet ride from Men in Black II!