PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Clearance

tgr3328
04-28-2003, 09:23 AM
A Walmart in a nearby town recently put Star Wars figures on clearance. It was not much of a sale, $4 for basic and $9 for deluxe, but maybe it will go lower soon. The local Walmart has no clearance and very few figures to clearance anyway. I realize that each Walmart makes its own policy about what, where, when to clearance.

Here is what I am wondering: Does the clearance mean that this store will stop selling Star Wars altogther, or will they get rid of these figures, then restock with newer stuff at regular price?

TheDarthVader
04-28-2003, 12:18 PM
I have seen this happen in the past... my Wal-Mart clearanced some of the last potj figures to make room for the new ep2 figures. Odds are that your Wal-Mart is trying to clear out older figures to make room for the better selling new figures. You should keep an eye out. They should be stocking new figures soon after the clearance sell.

bobafrett
04-28-2003, 03:34 PM
I too have seen this happen. My local Wal-Mart had marked down or "clearanced" some POTJ figures to $1, and the great thig was, when the newer figures started to roll in, they were also $1! I couldn't believe it. If I had known that I wouldn't be working there now, I would have bought every stinking figure instead of sharing with other people. They continued to get figures after that time though, so you should be okay.

tgr3328
04-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Were the new figures also POTJ, or was this when the Saga line came in? I can understand clearancing an old line to make room for a new line, but the Saga line is still going.

bobafrett
04-28-2003, 03:39 PM
They were also POTJ.

tgr3328
04-28-2003, 03:53 PM
Now, if only they will lower the clearance price even more (maybe $1 - $2), then forget to change it when the new stuff comes in.....

:D

Kidhuman
04-28-2003, 09:18 PM
The deluxe figs in my Wal-Mart have been 15 dollars for 2 months of clearance. I am waiting for them to go lower.

tgr3328
04-29-2003, 08:42 AM
Fifteen dollars! At Walmart! On clearance! Where do you live? You must be talking about the Rodeo Drive Walmart in Beverly Hills! :greedy:

Kidhuman
04-29-2003, 10:25 AM
I live in Va. I didn't mean deluxe, I meant 12" I was so tired when I typed that up. My bad

tgr3328
04-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Ok. $15 for deluxe figures sounded way too high, especially for a Walmart.

I think $9.99 is too high, considering what you get!

Kidhuman
04-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Yeah they should be like 7.99 or even 6.99. I don't really but the deluxe unless it looks really good. I do want to get the Clone w/ speeder deluxe. I haven't seen those ever

JangoFart
04-29-2003, 05:15 PM
It really varies by town to town, it's been my experience. I've seen the Saga TIE Bomber for as low as $10.00 on clearance in some towns, while it's still $28.86 (?) at my local Wal-Mart.

I'm a big fan of clearance sales, though. I got a nice stash of Holiday 3PO and R2's for $5.00 a pop one time.

J

TheDarthVader
04-29-2003, 06:02 PM
I was able to get 12" zuckuss, imperial officer, and dengar for $10. After that, they went down to $8!! Not a bad deal. I, too, love clearance sells! ;)

OC47150
04-30-2003, 08:15 AM
The WMs in my area clearanced out the Slave 1s and Jedi starfighters after Christmas but everything else is regular price. There are still Ep. 1 12" figures for $20 at one WM, and they might be sitting there for a while, too!

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Slave 1's were down to $5 so I picked one up for my little brother, old 12" were down to $5 also Jango room alarm was 7. Got most of these.
And all the regular figs are $4 and they got a few new ones in so I got those discounted, and deluxe are down to $5 now too

Brainiak76
05-01-2003, 02:50 AM
wow!! nothng like that has ever happend in my WM!!

and to add salt to the wound they havent gotten nething new since yoda council!!

i didnt see the holiday 3po/r2 EVER and my walmart only has nexu and has only gotten nexu for some weird reason!

Kidhuman
05-03-2003, 12:11 PM
I finally picked up a 12" Dengar for 8 dollars. My Wally World finally lowered the clearence price from 15 dollars. Perserverance paid off here.

mtriv73
05-03-2003, 01:38 PM
My Wal-mart has never marked anything down that I know of. They're the only store getting new figures around here (I picked up the new Boba Fett wave just before Easter.) Still, there is an ample supply of Teemto's and Lott Dodds keeping the pegs warm for the occasional new case of figures. I don't even think they could get rid of those at $1 each.

tgr3328
05-05-2003, 11:04 AM
I finally went back. They had the Cantina Bar sets marked down to $2.50. I got the whole set. They are not bad, but I don't think I would have wanted to pay any more for them.

They also had the Bespin guard and Ellors Madak for $1 and a few Droid Factory and Couruscant Attack Padmes for $1.75.

jjreason
05-06-2003, 12:47 AM
I would love to find a new DF Padme for cheap, stupid movers lost her gun. :(

tgr3328
05-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by jjreason
I would love to find a new DF Padme for cheap, stupid movers lost her gun. :(
If you are interested and they still have them, I'll pick up one if next time I get back there. Shipping should be cheap if you want it loose.

mm74md
05-06-2003, 11:58 AM
My area Wal Marts still have the Cantina sets at FULL price. Ugh!

OC47150
05-06-2003, 12:57 PM
So do mine.

TheDarthVader
05-06-2003, 09:17 PM
I have two Wm's. (cantina bar sets) One has them at reg price and one discounted them and now those are gone. I am still hoping that a retailer will pick up the new 3 sets!! I want those too to complete my set!!

MaxRebo34
05-08-2003, 01:09 PM
well all the cantina sets at my walmart look like hell.....horrible cards....some ripped.....tie bomber still around 28 dollars.....but there was only one of them.....and i hid it somewhere so i can get it if it goes on clearance

BoShek
05-09-2003, 10:27 PM
The 12" figures got down to $5. I couldn't get myself to buy them though.

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Has anyone's Walmart or Target sent figures back to make room yet? All I've seen is some clearancing them at Walmart.

OC47150
05-12-2003, 07:38 AM
The Targets in my area have 10 or less figures. It would be easier to just clearance them than to box 'em up and ship back.

WM is another story. The pegs are crowded with older AOTC figures.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-12-2003, 01:05 PM
My WM had plenty of old stuff, then a couple weeks ago they stocked a one or two cases of new 2003 figures. I noticed that after they sold out (which took less than a day) they restocked with tons of old stuff. I can see some dope thinking, "Hey they bought all those figures, maybe they'll want these too."

I hope they wise up, stick them on clearance, and free up some more room.

OC47150
05-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Amen to that!

Dar' Argol
05-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Teeska Mon Eebon
Has anyone's Walmart or Target sent figures back to make room yet? All I've seen is some clearancing them at Walmart.

The only time that WM can "send them back" is if Hasbro makes a recall on some of the figs. A couple months ago they took back most of the first waves.

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
My WM had plenty of old stuff, then a couple weeks ago they stocked a one or two cases of new 2003 figures. I noticed that after they sold out (which took less than a day) they restocked with tons of old stuff. I can see some dope thinking, "Hey they bought all those figures, maybe they'll want these too."

I hope they wise up, stick them on clearance, and free up some more room.

Its possible that they got soem "old" stock in and filled the pegs with what they had. Or that someone canceled a Lay-A-Way of old stuff. IIRC some ppl here where talking about that:D

And they are not going to be able to clearance any of the Saga stuff b/c of the fact that the figures are listed in the system as an assortment. IF they clearance a few figs, all the figs in that assortment will be clearanced. So unless they change the "set" (i.e. Saga, POTJ, POTF, etc) they won't be clearanced. Sorry man:(

tgr3328
05-14-2003, 09:36 AM
I did see a clearance on Star Wars figures at one Walmart. Whether this means they will restock later with new figures, or no longer carry Star Wars, it remains to be seen.

Dar Basra
05-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Has anyone heard whether any sales, clearance of otherwise, are planned for Memorial Day?

OC47150
05-21-2003, 03:30 PM
If you haven't seen something mentioned on this or other boards, I seriously doubt it. The sources who post about upcoming sales have posted messages about upcoming sales weeks in advance.

TheDarthVader
05-21-2003, 10:12 PM
This stinks! We need those stores to get rid of that old stuff. Sell them for $1!! C'mon...we want the new stuff already! ;)

jjreason
05-21-2003, 11:24 PM
I want my flippin' TRU to slash prices, I could just go to town in there if $ wasn't an issue. They don't have any figures I need, but army builders - out the wazoo. I stalk them every set of days off waiting for the sale to come.......but it never does.

OC47150
05-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Clearance sales for any of the major retailers are odd. From reading this board and others, I believe the sales are more of a regional thing than anything else. WM TIE bombers are still $30 and the cantina sets are still $10 in my area.

Dar' Argol
05-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by OC47150
Clearance sales for any of the major retailers are odd. From reading this board and others, I believe the sales are more of a regional thing than anything else. WM TIE bombers are still $30 and the cantina sets are still $10 in my area.

True, very true. I have stated this fact several times about how the clearance thing works at WM. I finally copied and saved one of my explinations, so I don't have to keep retyping it:D

I will say this again as I always do when this comes up. The prices that you see at one WM may not be the same at another. Each store is starting their Mod Sets at different times. Each store is clearancing their stuff down as they see it. It is not a Home Office Clearance, which would be uniformed company wide. I keep an eye on that stuff for this site. If you see a post by me say that there was a HO markdown on something for such and such a price, it will show up in your store soon. But each store has a budges on how much they can spend on clearance every month. It varies from store to store. So once again, unless its a HO markdown, clearance prices will vary from store to store.

Of course now, I no longer work for WM, so I cannot verify the info, but if multiple ppl see it for the same price, its company wide. If some stores after a week still have it at different prices, then its a local thing.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-27-2003, 08:51 PM
My Wal-Mart is due for a clearance. It has been well over a year and a half since the last major clearance, not counting the ones they had on 12 inchers earlier this year plus the sound effects keychain. The Cantina Deluxe sets are especially due. I honestly don't believe that anyone has bought a single Hammerhead or Ponda Baba since they got them in. They take up four complete pegs. I was lucky to find them on clearance at a Wal-Mart a further distance away. They only one I couldn't get is Greedo and I am not paying $10 for that piece of rehashed doo-doo.

Kidhuman
05-27-2003, 09:18 PM
I hear that. My wife bought me Greedo for X-mas and I am waiting for the others to clearance out of my Wally World.