PDA

View Full Version : Identity

Eternal Padawan
04-28-2003, 04:12 PM
I'll admit, I figured it out about 30 minutes in (when they wheeled the convict into the room). I even saw the "twist" at the end coming a mile away. So after I figured it out, I didn't really care who got offed next.

And I had some questions. Was the "Larry" they found in the freezer a personality? What about the Corrections officer that got shivved in the back? Was he a personality?

Thoughts?

dr_evazan22
04-29-2003, 01:26 AM
Your one up on me. I liked the movie but I didn't see the twist coming. When the scene shifted back to orange at the end I thought it was going to fade to black.

As for your other questions: dunno.

Prince Xizor
04-29-2003, 03:11 PM
I didn't see the ending coming, but I was ****** when it did happen. It was laughable.

And no, I don't think the other 2 people were personalities. They didn't have keys, did they?

Eternal Padawan
04-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Well, they didn't have keys, but they were there you know? At the motel...

I imagine I knew there was a twist ending because there's always a twist ending and it's just a matter of narrowing down the possibilities. After the pattern of the key/countdown was established, I realized there was one person left over (5 keys left for six people) so I wondered who would be the leftover . My first theory was the kid would need to be protected from Liotta by Peet and Cusack. So when the car exploded, I thought it a bit odd that they would kill off two personalities at once. Then after the rather abrupt showdown with Cusack and Liotta and the sacharine exchange between Peet and Cusack, I immediately went back to the explosion. The kid is a more "shocking" choice than the girl, so...voila.

Don't get me wrong. I liked the movie as such, I just long for a movie that doesn't have a "twist" at the end. Because THAT would throw me off more than anything else.

Darth Jax
05-05-2003, 10:36 PM
so, EP, you figured it out quicker than i. i got all the little pieces before they were revealed. but wasn't until closer to the end that things started to fall into place for me. only m. night not gonna try the last name's movies have stumped me with the twist at the end and usual suspects - didn't see that one coming either. but i left the theater with 2 questions.

1. where was baldy's personality in all this?

2. did anyone else experience a children of the corn flash-back at the end with the killings replayed?

Eternal Padawan
05-06-2003, 06:23 PM
I figured the Usual Suspects out about five minutes before they revealed it. I thought it was Keaton the entire time too, so when Agent Kujian convinces Verbal (and the audience) that Keaton was Keyser Soze, I thought "Well, that was a little too pat...waitaminnit...HOLY ****!!!!"

I figured out Sixth Sense when she dropped the ring. Which was basically a few seconds before the reveal.

Unbreakable I got when he said "I think it's time we met." and offered his hand. Again right before the twist.

Fight Club I figured out when I turned to the guy I was sitting next to and asked him what Ed Norton's Character's name was, because they hadn't said it. We both thought about it for a few seconds and said "Tyler Durden" about the same time. That was fairly early in the film. I think when he was swizzling the blood around in his mouth at the meeting.

What Lies Beneath I figured out from watching the trailer. :rolleyes: I guess I'm improving my technique.

What are some other "shocking twist" endings?

Darth Jax
05-06-2003, 11:01 PM
does darth's revelation in ESB count?

memento, not so much a shocking twist since it's all done backwards, but a year after seeing it i'm still trying to figure out the full film.

Eternal Padawan
05-09-2003, 09:36 AM
The special edition DVD of Memento lets you watch the film "in order".

I remember my friend sent me a VHS copy long before the movie came out (he has connections) and I watched it several times and we were on the phone while I was watching it and he asked if I caught the "truth" about Sammy Jankis. I didn't know what he was talking about so he had me fast forward to the part where Sammy is sitting in the rec room at the hospital and I watched it.

"Nothing." I said.

"Watch it again" says my friend. So I rewind it and watch it again. This happens two or three more times and I'm getting frustrated and he's like "You're not watching!" and I'm all 'Well it would help if I knew what I was looking fo..." Then my girlfriend (who is watching the tape and listening to our conversation) SHRIEKS and yells "Ohmigod!!" She about gave me a heart attack, but THEN I saw it.

That single frame of film makes the whole movie about 10 times more bizarre. ;)

Darth Jax
05-09-2003, 09:05 PM
so what was the scene? or are you trying to get me to watch it yet again in a quest for understanding/confusion?

2-1B
05-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Okay, I'll admit to being duped . . . but not totally. :p

First of all, it was obvious that Jake Busey wasn't the killer, because
a) it was an "obvious" setup that the "real" killer would be out there while a different convict took the heat.
b) well, he's Jake Busey ! :crazed: (jeez, did I ever have flashbacks to the Frighteners . . . )

The wonderful John C. McGinley -- remember when he said the boy's father "left" ? Well, I SHOULD have caught it all then, instead I suspected McGinley as the killer because I thought maybe HE was the one with multiple personalities.

Ray Liotta, I suspected him from the beginning (before I saw the back of his shirt) as possibly being a convict posing as a cop. Silly me, he's the obvious false lead since that's the one we were SUPPOSED to be wary of. :crazed:

Oh well, it was a fun movie. :)

Eternal Padawan
05-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Darth Jax
so what was the scene? or are you trying to get me to watch it yet again in a quest for understanding/confusion?

It's Sammy Jankis sitting in the psyche ward watching everybody else walk past him. ;) I won't say anymore.

derek
05-10-2003, 08:56 AM
It's Sammy Jankis sitting in the psyche ward watching everybody else walk past him. I won't say anymore

i noticed that the first viewing. (guy pierce in the mental hospital).

what almost slipped by unnoticed was in fight club, when brad pitt was appearing in just a few frames early in the film. now those were easy to miss.:)

The special edition DVD of Memento lets you watch the film "in order".

but isn't it just the black and white parts of the film? that's all i've seen in order.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-04-2003, 11:45 PM
I rented this flick tonight and enjoyed it very much. Good to see a movie that actually makes you think a bit. Granted, everything was explained at the end, but still, it was nice to conjure up one's own thoughts before having it revealed.

Poor John Cusack though! He's prolly one of my all time favorite actors, but the man needs to stay dry from time to time. :D

This film will enjoy it's place in my DVD collection as soon as I get enough $$ to toss around to purchase it.

RooJay
09-05-2003, 01:59 AM
I'll admit, I figured it out about 30 minutes in (when they wheeled the convict into the room). I even saw the "twist" at the end coming a mile away. So after I figured it out, I didn't really care who got offed next.

And I had some questions. Was the "Larry" they found in the freezer a personality? What about the Corrections officer that got shivved in the back? Was he a personality?

Thoughts?

I too "figured it out" when they wheeled in the convict, but I don't really attribute that to my own keen observational skills. To me it really seemed more a case of them having just given the whole thing away; something which really altered my entire view of exactly what type of film I felt I was watching. My poor girlfriend - I have a bad habit of filling her in on everything I've already figured out before she catches on - I totally managed to ruin the movie and confuse the heck out of her almost right up until the end there! :eek:
All in all, a very interesting and entertaining film. Certainly a very different and unique experience as far as I'm concerned. Too bad that it really seemed to work against the film in it's initial release - the critics seemed to have had absolutely no clue as to how to categorize it.

AT-AT Man
09-07-2003, 07:45 PM
just saw it today. I choose to watch the extended scene with all the deleted scenes in it, with out seeing it originally so i have no idea what was in it originally and what was not. but i still liked this movie and will definately be picking it up when the pocketbook allows it.

Kidhuman
09-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Sawit last night and thought it was a good flick. I figured the kid was killing everyone, but didnt think it was personalities. Half right I guess.