PDA

View Full Version : FAO Fambaa...

Dialogus
04-28-2003, 05:10 PM
Could someone tell me the retail price at the time for the FAO Fambaa:confused: ?

I won one on Ebay for $58.65 S&H included which I think is a fair price 4 someone up in Canada Winterland:( !

What do u think fellows???

DarthChuckMc
04-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally it was around $90,,,but they went clearance for $26 a while back. Still not too shabby.

Dialogus
04-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Always thought this item never had a chance to go clearance. I think it's one of Ep.1's nicest piece.

But that silly initial price probably discouraged a lot of guys. Would have discouraged me indeed! IMHO, 40 to 50 bucks would have been fair enough.

No wonder why the new Shuttle costs a fortune...bunch of crooks!

Kidhuman
04-28-2003, 09:20 PM
Well it looks like yuou got it right in the middle. Congrats.

dr_evazan22
04-29-2003, 12:15 AM
It was originally US$75.

I agree w/ you. I thought the fambaa and the ammo wagon were the best pieces from TPM.

RussUAE
05-04-2003, 05:17 AM
That is a very good price. I paid $50 without shiopping - can't remeebr how much shipping was, but it was stupidly expensive.

Glad I did it though, as it is one sweet creature.

Sidiously Darth
01-12-2004, 07:05 PM
I decided to dredge up an old subject b/c I just came into possession of a nice mint Famba, thanks to DarthChuck!

Did anyone take notice of the lack of Jedi Master Points on the back of this rather large plastic statue. The price sticker conveniently hides it. After removing it, I discovered the whopping 20 JMPs on the back.

DarthChuck and I talked about this little oddity. Considering most items of this size and price include JMPs from 50 - 80. 20 points comes on small vehicles and mulitpacks.

With this in mind, it seems FAO was really pulling a fast one or was Hasbro secretly involved. Here's the possible scenario:

Hasbro has this large non-articulated lizard they want to sell. Low and behold, there are no takers on the retail level. Hasbro looks everywhere and finally their prayers, or whatever, are answered... FAO Swarz.

Hasbro tells FAO that they have this $29.99 toy that costs less than half that to produce. IF FAO will be kind enough to sell them as an exclusive, they can price them for what ever they want. FAO is very happy with this idea b/c they need money anyway. So FAO gets a cheap toy, kicks it up a couple of notches and Bam, Bam you have a $75 exclusive.

Yes, they were eventually clearanced but I'm sure FAO either broke even or made a little on these puppies.

I guess Karma works in strange ways. FAO's bankrupt and going out of business. I guess $10 action figures or $75 lizards weren't the right answers.

The Imp. Shuttle debacle is a whole other story. :mad:

stillakid
01-13-2004, 02:04 PM
I bought one for about $75 from an online source when I figured I'd never see them at retail. Then a couple months after that, I actually went to an FAO Schwarz and saw a stack of them at the high price. Unfortunately, I was out of the loop on the sale thing or else I would have picked up a second because it is a pretty cool item. That, and it's hard to make a full force field with only one generator. ;)

bobafrett
01-13-2004, 02:08 PM
I never picked up one of these. I wanted to, but all the FAO's in my area closed. They might still have one in Chicago, but I doubt I'll find one there seeing as these were released what about three years ago?

ACPin
01-13-2004, 10:02 PM
I've bought my first one at full price from FAO and managed to snag a couple of them when they went on clearance. I've been meaning to use the two in the Battle of Naboo diorama.

mtriv73
01-14-2004, 12:19 PM
I got mine for about $50 on e-bay the week before they went on clearance :ermm: It's a nice toy, but for that much I expected the legs to move on the Fambaa.

jjreason
01-15-2004, 04:23 PM
It looks like a very nice piece. Im in the market, in case any of you have an extra! :cool:

kool-aid killer
01-15-2004, 09:25 PM
I got mine off ebay. JJ, i would look around and see what the going rate is. Sometimes Star Wars toys drop in price for a bit. If i recall correctly, mine was around $50, maybe a little more.

DarthQuack
02-02-2004, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't mind picking up one of these for myself as well. Nothing better than the biggest creature from TPM.

-Matt

B'Omarr Monkey
02-04-2004, 08:00 PM
I received mine as a gift. I'm sure it was bought full price. For something that cost as much as the AT-AT it should have had moving legs. Also the gungan that came with it was out of scale with the rest of the figures, but it looks great.

I'm certain it was not originally meant as an exclusive. That boxed Jar Jar with the gungan cannon or whatever it was called was originally shown on the box to be able to mount on top of the Fambaa. It actually fits on there, but no longer has the tabs to lock it in place.

I always wanted to get a second one so that i coulkd do this, but was unwilling to pay full price. The Fambaas never appeared on clearance where I was living at the time, and I just forgot about it.

Bosskman
02-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Back when they first appeared at FAO, stupid me bought 2 of them on-line from there. (I had to buy two because there was $100 minimum purchase to ship to Canada). I'm glad I got them in the end though because they are cool. I got that Gungan cannnon and it sits atop my secon Fambaa. It doesn't snap into place though. The Fambaa is definately one of the cooles things from the TPM line, even if it is a big hollow piece of rubber. It' the ammo wagon and the AAT are all awsome, I just wonder why they weren't more widely distributed. I think they all would have sold well. Stupid hasbro.

bobafrett
03-10-2004, 02:44 PM
One question on these. Are the Famba's 12" tall, or designed for the 12" figure line? I guy was telling me that they are about 12" high, and designed for the 3 3/4 inch figure line. I'm supposed to help him move some stuff tonight, and for payment, he is giving me a deal on this item.

the_emporer
03-10-2004, 03:52 PM
One question on these. Are the Famba's 12" tall, or designed for the 12" figure line? I guy was telling me that they are about 12" high, and designed for the 3 3/4 inch figure line. I'm supposed to help him move some stuff tonight, and for payment, he is giving me a deal on this item.

They are designed for the 3 3/4" figures. It comes with a shield generator (it doesn't really work! :) ) and a Gungan warrior figure.

Sidiously Darth
03-10-2004, 03:53 PM
They're around a foot tall and designed for the 3 3/4" line. Definitely jump on it if it's a good deal. I got mine for around $25.

bobafrett
03-11-2004, 01:18 AM
I help this guy move some furniture and boxes. He gave me an EP I Ammo Wagon and Falumpaset. I never saw this one at retail either, so it will make a nice addition to my collection. He told me that he paid $80 for the Famba he owned. I told him I would think about it. I'll browse eBay to see what the going price is.