PDA

View Full Version : Who collects the Kubricks' Star Wars?

Tycho
04-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Steve and I thought this might be a bit off the beaten path of general Star Wars discussions held here.

But recently a big deal is being made about these Kubricks figures.

I don't know much more about them and haven't seen them personally, so I'll shut up.

But for those of you who have some more to discuss, please post whatever information or opinions you have to offer.

If you are interested in purchasing Kubricks, visit our sponsor, BriansToys.com (http://www.figures.com/databases/redirect1.cgi?dom=ss&sys=news&action=clicks&sponsor=brianstoys__04_29_2003_x&size=art&url=www.brianstoys.com/acatalog/StarWarsActionFigures.htm).

sith_killer_99
04-29-2003, 07:26 AM
I'm not a big Kubrick collector or anything, I own 1 set of Kubricks (Blair Witch). But I really like these Star Wars Kubricks, from the pics I've seen anyway.

I really want to buy these, I'm just waiting until I have the extra cash, maybe after my High School reunion this summer.

I have been a fan of the idea, of making Star Wars based Kubricks ever since the knock-offs hit the market a few years ago. I would love to see them do all of those sets for the official line, especially the Han in carbonite.

I also love the "Early Bird" idea they came up with for the first set!

The one thing I don't like is that stupid "Chase" figure idea.:mad:

NRPeace
04-29-2003, 09:29 AM
I have enough trouble trying to keep up with Hasbro's line, and they sell that stuff in THIS country. I just don't want to get sucked in.

bobafrett
04-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Well, I thought I had a couple of the Star Wars Kubricks, but they ended up being some crappy knock off. I did just win some Kubricks on eBay, and the seller had 100% positive feedback. I'm hoping to get the real deal this time. I don't know if I'll find the first set, for what I think is a reasonable price.

Arrogant Arse
04-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Kubricks=Unleashed=Garbage

sith_killer_99
04-29-2003, 12:04 PM
I have enough trouble trying to keep up with Hasbro's line, and they sell that stuff in THIS country.

That's because of Hasbro's lousy distribution, heck, they seemed to stop shipping for 6 months!?!?

Well, I thought I had a couple of the Star Wars Kubricks, but they ended up being some crappy knock off.

There have only been 2 official Kubrick sets (as far as I know), the "Early Bird" set and now the Bounty Hunters. The chances are if you bought anything else, it's some cheap knock-off.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-29-2003, 12:12 PM
If I could find them anywhere else except at Frank and Ripoffs, I'd collect these lil buggars...the star wars ones anyway. I just like the look of them...I happen to like little things ;) :D

Kidhuman
04-29-2003, 12:19 PM
I put I am thinking about it. They look kinda cool, but I can't find them anywhere except online. Guess I will just wait and see.

jblodgett
04-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Why are these things only being offered in Japan????? Does this make an ounce of sense to anyone???????/ If these things were available in the US they would sell like hotcakes!

NRPeace
04-29-2003, 12:36 PM
Okay, I just used the link to Brian's Toys, and oh my God! $100 for a set? For six 2 inch figures? Screw Kubrick and Brian.

LusiferSam
04-29-2003, 12:40 PM
My opinion, they look like Lego knock offs and bad ones at that. I'm quite the purist when it comes to Legos and it takes a lot to change my mind once I've make a decision like that. In other words I have no interest in them.

FUN2COLLECT
04-29-2003, 02:03 PM
I think they are nice looking, they are a bit bigger that Lego and the best part is most of the boxed series have some type of variant. A bit expensive though, but i ussually go to ebay or sites like titantoys.com that import Star Wars items. If you wait long enough Comic shops get them through Diamond after a few months.

jpak001
04-29-2003, 02:56 PM
I think they are GREAT! I have some other Kubricks (Marvel heroes, Jin Roh), and they are awesome little figures. I've also been eyeing the recently released Trigun set.

They're actually made from a very nice quality plastic, and some have removable accessories/outfits (I can take all the armor and helmet off my Jin Roh).

I would buy the Bounty Hunter set in a heartbeat if I could find 'em at a reasonable price, but am not interested in the early bird set for some reason....

If they ever relase a Darth Vader, I'm so there (even at collector prices!).

edit: oh yeah, they're a lot of fun too! I have my Wolvie & Spider-Man on my desk at work. Every day I come in and someone has either switched the limbs on 'em, or put them in some compromising position. I get a nice laugh every AM! :D

dr_evazan22
04-29-2003, 11:44 PM
I've been reading about them for the past year or more and haven't been impressed. I can't stand how "cute" they look, and I'm surprised that people fall for it.

Having said that, I do like the Bounty Hunter asst and was going to look into thier price, but if they're $100, well fuhgedaboutit!

edit:

At the TRU where I was recently able to buy Ephant Mon they also had Stikfas, but at 7-10$ per set, well fuhgedaboutit2! I work too hard for my money to waste it...

...on anything but SW:D

Turbowars
04-30-2003, 12:25 AM
I'd love to have the hunter set, but like above 100 bucks for over sized legos, forget it. I'd pay no more than 5 bucks a figure. Yeah and we all know how likely that will happen. Does FS have both sets?

karinations
04-30-2003, 12:45 AM
There have been few Star Wars products i have been less interested in...

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

plasticfetish
04-30-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by jblodgett
Why are these things only being offered in Japan????? Does this make an ounce of sense to anyone?
Well, might be something to do with the fact that Medicom Toys is a japanese company.

Kubricks are fun. I bought two of the Mazinger Z sets a while back when my local comic book store had them. It's a fun way to get a slightly more detailed Lego-ish character of something that Lego would probably never make. We've a number of Japanese markets and toy shops here in LA, but you can find them online and perhaps your own local comic book shop can order them (through Diamond.) The three figure sets that I've seen retail for around $15.

The Star Wars sets are some of the best I've seen. I hope to find them ... and having to hunt around a bit makes it just that much more fun.

Check out the Kubrick section at Medicom Toys. (http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/kubrick/index.html)

Tonysmo
04-30-2003, 08:28 AM
While they are certainly cool looking - they would have to significantly come down in price before I got sucked in.... I cant justify paying 100 bucks for 6 lil lego-looking figs..

its bad enough they have small lots of clone trooper lego figs on Ebay for 25 bucks..

( and then - get this.. someone put the hands and head from one of the basketball legos on a lego fig, and they are selling it as a one of a kind LANDO lego fig.. for close to 100 bucks! ( hope that aint any of you!! ) )

over all - price drop, Ill have the whole set.. but not until then!

jeffonthego
04-30-2003, 10:05 AM
. . . these look silly to me, like toddler toys. But that's just my opinion.

jeffonthego
04-30-2003, 10:09 AM
A truly love them or hate them product I think.

scruffziller
04-30-2003, 10:50 AM
They are basically a pure cross between the real figs and the regular lego versions. Which is better for me because I always thought that plush toy's etc. of that nature, was demeaning to the charachter's form. I like the new Captain Kirk one.

stillakid
04-30-2003, 12:20 PM
They're cute, but not worth more than a couple bucks each. Without question the $100 price tag is exhorbitant and unjustifiable.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Buying about 4 or 5 sets of those could instead send you to Japan, where you could by them for cheap cheap ;) and have fun in another country at the same time.

:)

I posted above that I like them, I did NOT however realize how much these suckers were, definitely not worth the plastic they are molded in!

plasticfetish
04-30-2003, 03:50 PM
What's the deal with this $100+ price? Is that Brian's secodary markup or something? I'd read that the "early bird set" was out for around $32 originally and the bounty hunters were priced at around $6.50 each.

Again ... these Star Wars sets are a limited release thing. Most Kubricks sets are much less expensive.

harbinger
04-30-2003, 05:52 PM
original quote
"What's the deal with this $100+ price? Is that Brian's secondary markup or something?"

You betcha! This price is insane! I ordered a full sealed case of 12 from a Japanese online vender and paid $98 which includes sal shipping (the quickest and most secure way to ship from Japan). By ordering a full case I'm guaranteed 1 full set, a chance to get the chase Fett, and 6 additional figures I can use for trading. These Kubricks retail for about 6.50 in Japan, keep that in mind when you see people trying to rip you off with these crazy prices.

Turbowars
04-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by harbinger
original quote
"What's the deal with this $100+ price? Is that Brian's secondary markup or something?"

You betcha! This price is insane! I ordered a full sealed case of 12 from a Japanese online vender and paid $98 which includes sal shipping (the quickest and most secure way to ship from Japan). By ordering a full case I'm guaranteed 1 full set, a chance to get the chase Fett, and 6 additional figures I can use for trading. These Kubricks retail for about 6.50 in Japan, keep that in mind when you see people trying to rip you off with these crazy prices. You have a PM!

Imperial Loyalist
05-01-2003, 08:59 AM
No interest in there little buggers at all.

By the way, whats a PM?

bobafrett
05-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Private Message. Look along the bottom of the persons post. You should see a small blue/purple box with PM. You can send that person a private message.

I'm still waiting to get the 6 I won on eBay. I should have gone with the unopened case of 12 Kubricks. Oh Well.

jeffonthego
05-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Sounds very un-Japanese . . .

Turbowars
05-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by jeffonthego
Sounds very un-Japanese . . . un-Japanese? What did yo want them to name them, Japabrickes?

Deoxyribonucleic
05-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by turbowars
un-Japanese? What did yo want them to name them, Japabrickes?

ROFL! :D

Kubrikasakiotas even!

plasticfetish
05-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by jeffonthego
Sounds very un-Japanese . . .

I've seen things that make less sense printed on Japanese toy boxes. I'd guess it's part "cube-brick" and part a name recognition thing to do with Stanley Kubrick. Nothing could be more Japanese than using a "western" sounding name just because it looks cool on a box. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to make literal sense of it.

TEE KAY-421
05-02-2003, 06:08 PM
I really enjoy Stanley Kubrick's films, but his action figures are silly.

If he releases a new line of "Eyes Wide Shut" Kubricks.
I wouldn't buy those either.

Although I must admit, "A Clockwork Orange" Kubricks wouldn't be
a bad idea.

But I only collect Star Wars figures.

sith_killer_99
05-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I really enjoy Stanley Kubrick's films, but his action figures are silly.

If he releases a new line of "Eyes Wide Shut" Kubricks.
I wouldn't buy those either.

Although I must admit, "A Clockwork Orange" Kubricks wouldn't be
a bad idea.

But I only collect Star Wars figures.

Lolita Kubricks! Ooops, did I say that out loud?

But seriously, Brian's has to be the most expensive place around for these things! I can buy an un-opened box of 12 Bounty Hunter's from ebay for $90.00-$100.00! Plus with the box of 12 at least you get a CHANCE to find a Boba chase figure.

I have seen individual Bounty Hunter Kubricks on ebay for $6.50 each! Howabout 3 pack sets for $20.00!!! Brian's?!?! What a rip off! Check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3129551376&category=2476

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3129196864&category=2475

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3128710853&category=751

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3129227059&category=751

Seems a lot more reasonable if you ask me.

jpak001
05-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by turbowars
Does FS have both sets?

Hey Turbo, If your asking about Frank and Sons I was there today and one booth did have the Bounty Hunters, but they wanted $10 ea (too much if you ask me). But that was it, I couldn't find anymore there at all..

OCB
05-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I do...

Check it out

http://www.jedidefender.com/news/articles/5-03/groupshot2.jpg

jpak001
05-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Nice! Thanks for that pic OCB. That's pretty cool, it shows how great these Kubricks really are (IMO anyways).

As you can see by this pic, there really is no comparison between Kubricks and Lego's.....

Turbowars
05-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by OCB
I do...

Check it out

http://www.jedidefender.com/news/articles/5-03/groupshot2.jpg Dude these are so cool. I want, I want.

JediTricks
05-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Great photo OCB!

jjreason
05-07-2003, 08:19 PM
That is super! Seeing the scale of these, I guess they're about the size of the Minimates from ArtAsylum. They're making Marvel figures like this over there, and I had thought until seeing this pic they were the size of the lego figures. The bounty hunters look great!

Question: How is this any different than letting a company make 6 inch scale figures a la Toy Biz Marvel Legends or Lord of Rings?

plasticfetish
05-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
I guess they're about the size of the Minimates from ArtAsylum.
Minimates are basicly a knock off of Kubricks.

Originally posted by jjreason
How is this any different than letting a company make 6 inch scale figures a la Toy Biz Marvel Legends or Lord of Rings?
Do you mean why can't a company other than Hasbro do that over here in the US? I assume Medicom is doing these Star Wars figures only because they have a deal with TOMY ... who, I'm guessing, has a (the?) Star Wars license in Japan.

Turbowars
05-07-2003, 08:54 PM

jjreason
05-10-2003, 03:44 PM
That would make sense. I guess Hasbro did and does try to make bigger figures with Unleashed and those (stupid) rotating 6" figures. I had forgotten about those, probably because I didn't collect them. They weren't articulated, and don't amount to anything besides crappy statues.

Turbowars
05-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Dudes, if you are only going to get one of these Kubricks, you should get Boba. He's so cool!. Great detail. It's a must have if you love Boba Fett.

sith_killer_99
05-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Yeah, and with the case breakdown of 1/2 Fetts and the rest 1 each it should be a snap to find the regular Fett.

Turbowars
05-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Yeah, and with the case breakdown of 1/2 Fetts and the rest 1 each it should be a snap to find the regular Fett. No kidding Killer. The case breakdown is 4 Fetts, 3 IG-88, 2 Bossk, 1 Zucky, 1 Dengar and 1 4-LOM. The Breakdown is just as bad as Hasbros or worse. I really wanted Zucky, but I'll have to wait. I also got IG-88, he's cool to. I guess Bossk will be next, because of the breakdown.

sith_killer_99
05-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Hmm, I was seriously tempted to buy a case of these. An UNOPENED case, you know, open a case, take your chance, win a chase Fett.

If I didn't have a class reunion in a month I would already have them!

Turbowars
05-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Forget the reunion, you need Kubricks. I don't think I'll ever go to a school reunion, my ex will probably be there, LOL

sith_killer_99
05-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Mmmm, I wish it were that easy. Unfortunatly, I haven't been back home in 2 years plus I have a new (15 month old) daughter everyone back home wants to see. Sure my parents came out after she was born, but everyone else is dying to see her.

So I will be in Colorado from 17 June til 5 July! The class reunion is just a side benefit, being in the military it is rare that I get the chance to see many of my old friends.

TheDarthVader
05-19-2003, 02:53 PM
I don't collect them. I don't have the money, and I don't like them. I would rather collect legos.