PDA

View Full Version : "A Mighty Wind" is Mighty Funny!

JediCole
04-30-2003, 12:49 PM
JediCole here with another recommendation of a film that will likely be overlooked with X2, Matrix, and other Hollywood heavyweights on the horizon. "A Mighty Wind".

This is the latest "mocumentary" from Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, and Harry Sherer, the force behind "This is Spinal Tap", "Waiting for Guffman", and "Best of Show". Presented in the same documentary format as their previous films, "A Mighty Wind" delivers great laughs throughout. With its focus on the fictional greats of the Folk Music movement of the 50's and 60's, the aforementioned trio portray The Folksmen, a largely forgotten folk music group who are reuinited for a tribute to their late manager. Eugene Levy and Katherine Ohara are also reunited as a retired duet from the heyday of folk and many favorites from past mockmentaries also join in the fun as members of the unweildy New Main Street Singers or the suvivors of the man to whom the tribute is being made. Ed Begly, Jr. and Fred Willard also appear, with Willard putting forth another great performance as a thoughtless boor.

Bear in mind that the script for this film was little more than an outline of the characters and situations. Most of the dialogue and action were created ad lib by the actors. This gives the entire film a more genunine documentary feel as each character says what is on his or her minds and the performers are given wide lattitude to create and play off of one another on the fly. Though the film is in limited release at present, it should enjoy a much wider release by the end of the week. Take a chance and see a little picture for once. Mrs. JediCole and I laughed from begining to end!

James Boba Fettfield
04-30-2003, 12:50 PM
It's still in limited release, isn't it?

QLD
04-30-2003, 12:54 PM
To me this movie looks entertaining, but I dunno if I will get around to seeing it.

vulcantouch
04-30-2003, 12:58 PM
as you can tell from my Guff (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=27802#post27802) & Show (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=31731#post31731) humps, you know i'll be catchin That breeze :D
vt

2-1B
04-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Heck yeah, I'm with VT !
(although I like Best in Show more than Guffman :) )
Oh, Parker Posey is indeed awesome !
"thanks for nothing, you stupid HOTEL MANAGER !!!!!!!!" :D

"This is Spinal Tap" is one of my top five all time favorite movies, and I just love Best in Show so much. I can't wait for this new flick, it opens everywhere May 9th ! ! ! :happy:

You know who I also like from these flicks ? John Michael Higgins.
He played Scott in Best in Show ("ca-ca-ca-COOKIE ! " :D ) and I've also seen him on Seinfeld, playing Elaine's bald boyfriend who decides to let his thick hair grow in for her . . . only to learn he has since gone actually bald.

I see he is in "Wind" and I bet he'll be teriffic !

JediCole
04-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Wow! I was amazed at the prompt replies to this post! And I was pleased to see that there were so many who were familiar with the other films mentioned. If you enjoyed Spinal Tap, Guffman, and Best of Show, you will not be disappointed by A Mighty Wind. And be sure to pay close attention to the lyrics of "A Mighty Wind", the song. My best friend, who is usually more atuned to such things, completely missed the humorous subtext. But then the song is that well written, it seems exactly like a serious folk song!

Michael Clark Higgins does indeed have a role in "Wind" as the frontman for The New Main Street Singers" along with his wife, payed by Jane Lynch (the poodle trainer in BOS). Parker Posey is also back, but in a comparatively small roll. Other alumnus include Jim Piddock (the British comentator from BOS), Larry Miller, Don Lake, Bob Balaban, and Michael Hitchcock.

While it is a shame that A Mighty Wind is not everywhere yet, I am hopeful that it will get a goodly release despite the boxoffice muscle of its competition. At least they were smart enought to wait until the weekend AFTER X-Men 2! Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against X2, I'll be in line Friday night myself! I just hate how studios and distributors tend to bury great small films on the opening weekends of the blockbusters, ensuring further obscurity.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Just found out it's playing here so I'll most likely catch this as I loved Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show!

You are right Jedi Cole, it probably will be overlooked with all the Hollywood Juggernaughts coming out SOON! :(

People don't know what they are missing!

El Chuxter
04-30-2003, 03:14 PM
I've been looking forward to this film since the first piece on saw on it a month or so back. With X2 and Finding Nemo out this month, I'm not sure if I can afford to see it in the theaters, but if not, I'll definitely check out the DVD in a few months.

I've seen (and loved) Spinal Tap, but didn't realize Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman were by the same folks. What are those two about?

JediCole
04-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I've seen (and loved) Spinal Tap, but didn't realize Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman were by the same folks. What are those two about?

Waiting for Guffman documents the story of a small town community theatre and how they hang their hopes on the promise that a big time theatre critic may attend their performance.

Best in Show chronicles the preparations and the hopes of a number of different dog owners who have entered their pets in a prestegious national dog show.

Both are quite funny, but like others, I prefer Best in Show.

QLD
04-30-2003, 04:18 PM
I haven't seen Best In Show yet, but I really want to. I have almost bought it on DVD several times. Maybe I will this weekend.

JediCole
04-30-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Lando In My Pants
I haven't seen Best In Show yet, but I really want to. I have almost bought it on DVD several times. Maybe I will this weekend.

I think you should! We have one but I think it is loaned out and to who I do not know. May have to buy a second copy myself this weekend. Be sure to check out the deleted scenes for a great piece on arrowheads from Christopher Guest!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Maybe i'm alone, but i worked at a video store and got recommended to "Best in Show" by numerous folks and i must say to me at least, it was the most unfunny movie i've seen. I liked Spinal Tap, but "Best in Show" was horrible. I turned it off.

Might be me though. :D

Exhaust Port
04-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Its you. ;)

I'm definately going to be seeing this movie. In a summer of overhyped actioncrap movies, A Mighty Wind will be a breath of fresh air.

2-1B
05-01-2003, 01:28 AM
Note re: Spinal Tap and the other films -- Guffman and Show were both directed by Guest while Rob Reiner directed This is Spinal Tap. :)

I saw The Folksmen on Letterman a few weeks back and I'm making it a point to buy the soundtrack this weekend ! :happy:

Exhaust Port
05-01-2003, 01:37 PM
But Guest wrote all 3 movies.

2-1B
05-01-2003, 02:47 PM
Co-wrote all 3 movies. :)

This is Spinal Tap written by Christopher Guest, Michael McKean,
Rob Reiner, and Harry Shearer.

Waiting for Guffman written by Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy.

Best in Show written by Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy.

Does anybody remember The Big Picture starring Kevin Bacon? :)
Guest co-wrote and directed that film, I just don't remember anything about it. I'll have to rent it soon.

Guest also directed the very disappointing Almost Heroes starring Chris Farley. :(

QLD
05-01-2003, 04:03 PM
I ordered Best In Show last night from Deep Discount DVD, for $14.50 and free shipping. Looking forward to watching it.

vulcantouch
05-02-2003, 12:09 AM
remember it? hell, click on my profile & you can celebrate the 3-year anniversary of my amazon Humpin of it ;) later i sent it to swaffy and he humped it too (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=31613#post31613) :D

jmg: ok then, let's hear what you thinka Guffman :)

jc: "Take a chance and see a little picture for once"
-like i haven't been? whaddya call my Humps (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216&perpage=40&pagenumber=1), chopped nitrate? :stupid:
vt, aka the biggest little-flik champeen ssg's Evah had (i even got invited to an X2 preview showing tonight and turned it down, partly cuz i thought the first one was feh) :cool:

QLD
05-02-2003, 02:36 AM
I am not sure, but I think vulcantouch liked The Big Picture.

I think.

2-1B
05-03-2003, 12:50 PM
I bought the soundtrack last night, it's incredible ! It's SOOOO well done, I just love how these people become the musical groups they pretend to be, that's one of the things I love about Spinal Tap.

I would definitely rate Mitch and Mickey as my least favorite of the 3 groups, only because of their style - it's still very well done by Levy, O'Hara, the writers, and the musicians.

The Folksmen are outstanding ! :D "Loco Man" & "Skeletons of Quinto" are my early favorites ! :crazed:

The New Main Street Singers are fun too, I especially love Higgins' lead vocal on "The Good Book Song." :)

When Parker Posey sings, it's a real treat ! :happy:

Kidhuman
05-03-2003, 01:16 PM
I saw the preview on TV this morning, and it looks like a funny movie. I like Richard Dreyfus' dry sense of humor. I will see this. Might wait for rental though. Don't like going to thge theatres much unless it is a SW or something extravagant like that.

JediCole
05-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I bought the soundtrack last night, it's incredible ! It's SOOOO well done, I just love how these people become the musical groups they pretend to be, that's one of the things I love about Spinal Tap.

I bought the soundtrack on Saturday with my ill-gotten Lotto scratch-off money after seeing X-Men 2. I agree with Caesar on most points. I love "Loco Man"! And "The Skeletons of Quinto" is quite haunting. Overall the music does a great job of capturing the spirit of many real folk artists. The style, rythm, and even the lyrics are right on the money. "Blood on the Coal" (which does not occur in the film) was a great tribute to those folk songs which commemorate tragedy juxtaposed with corporate greed (a poular theme) and "A Mighty Wind" puts you in the mind of Woody Guthrie's patriotic "This Land is Your Land".

I also enjoyed "Potato's in the Paddy Wagon", what a fun story in song form. And of course the Bible song is a hoot, but like all of the songs on the album, it works outside of the context of the movie! I am tempted to find a fan of folk music who is unaware of the film and play a few tracks just to see how authentic they seem to a true patron of that genre.

2-1B
05-06-2003, 12:52 AM
kidhuman, Richard Dreyfus is not in the movie. :confused:

JediCole, I bought the soundtrack thinking I would probably not like the music . . . but then I remembered summer camping trips of my youth and how we would always attend a local folklore theater. They put on plays featuring original music, mainly folk music.

That was a good 10 - 15 years ago but I genuinely liked the music back then. Honestly, when I put in the soundtrack I was rather blown away by how good it was ! ! !
I mean, I genuinely like a lot of the songs. I'm certainly not a longtime folk fan, or even a fan of that much of the genre to begin with . . . but for what it's worth, I'll bet that many diehard folk fans could find something to enjoy on the soundtrack. :)

Also, John Mellencamp has a folk album coming out this summer, he's one of my favorites and I'm quite looking forward to that disc. :)

vulcantouch
05-08-2003, 10:53 AM
btw you Guff/Tap/Wind/Show/mockumentary fans might also dig Forgotten Silver (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=25430#post25430), Big Tease (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=238638#post238638) and Midwinter's Tale (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=232585#post232585) :) maybe And God Spoke (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=34671#post34671) too, but that one didn't do much for me personally :p
vt

2-1B
05-17-2003, 06:33 PM
I saw this movie last week and I loved it !

Fred Willard was incredible, Ed Begley Jr. had a nice role, JM Higgins was FANTASTIC and Jane Lynch as his wife was great, too !

Hell, everyone did a good job in this movie ! My only complaint is that it isn't long enough - here's to hoping the DVD has a good half hour of bonus scenes like Best in Show has ! :)

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh do I ever like that Parker Posey. ;)

Kidhuman
05-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
kidhuman, Richard Dreyfus is not in the movie. :confused:

I could of swore he was in the commercial. Hmmmmmmm...go figure

vulcantouch
05-18-2003, 07:40 PM
last weekend got a look at Guff dvd deleted scenes which were lotta fun, but not as much as the Show deleteds. meanwhile yall might also dig burn hollywood burn (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=46582#post46582) :)

El Chuxter
09-24-2003, 03:20 PM
I was about to pick this up yesterday at Wal-Mart (where I was searching in vain for that ARC-Trooper value pack :mad: ), but noticed the shelf tag listed it as "A Mighty Wind (Clean)."

Are there multiple versions of the movie out there, and if so, what's the difference? (Not that I'd get an edited version given a choice, but just curious.)

Dr Zoltar
10-02-2003, 04:08 PM
I just got my tickets to see "A Mighty Wind" live in concert! Can't wait for this. It's happening on Nov. 14th in the new Opera House in Seattle. It's my understanding that all the big names that were in the movie will be performing as their characters. I wonder how this will compare to the Spinal Tap concert I attended. Or I wonder if Spinal Tap will open for them?

And Parker Posey is always a treat for the eyes...