PDA

View Full Version : 'I Love the 80's' on VH1

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Anyone else besides me, watch the ten part series (1 hour long show per year, 1980 - 1989) on all things the 1980s on VH1?

For those who haven't seen it, basically VH1 interviews these celebrities but mostly semi-celebrities including various actors and musicians (my favortie being some guy from Ed, Hal Sparks from Queer As Folk, Mo Rocca, Henry Rollins, Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray) to talk about the various events, fashions, music etc. from a certain year of the 1980's.

Not surprisingly, for the 1980 show, they comment on ESB and the big secret about Luke and Darth Vader. In the 1983 show, the crack about the incestious relationship Luke and Leia had.

It is one of a very shows that is worthwhile to watch on that channel. Even though I have seen each show like four or five times I still feel compelled to watch when it comes on.

icatch9
04-30-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm with you, there is just something about that series that I just can't turn off. My fiance' and I love them. It comes on sometimes late at night, and it's a struggle to turn it off. It's better than sleep and that's saying something.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-30-2003, 06:38 PM
It's as if there were drugs from the '80s that make this series addictive! What? Really? Oh, I guess the 1980s were known for their excesses. :p
The end of 80s episodes aren't as fun as the earlier ones; probably because it's less nostalgic from only 14+ years ago, or so.
I am sick of The Dice Man intro'ing the "Mr. & Mrs. of 198_" parts. Mainly because he uses VIRTUALLY THE SAME WORDS EVERY SINGLE TIME. I also don't like Lionel Richie intro'ing the "Make-Out Songs of 198_" parts. Mainly because he uses VIRTUALLY THE SAME WORDS EVERY SINGLE TIME. (Yes, I am aware of the irony of using the quote "Mainly because he uses VIRTUALLY THE SAME WORDS EVERY SINGLE TIME." to make my point) ;)

Exhaust Port
04-30-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm also a 80's addict. Everytime this show is on I'm guaranteed to be late for my next appointment. I can't stop watching. I love the fact that it covers all the aspects of the decade from movies, TV, toys, commercials, clothing, fads, etc. One hour just doesn't seem like enough time to cover a whole year. It would take an hour just to make fun of the clothing alone,

Deoxyribonucleic
04-30-2003, 09:44 PM
I watched 85 - 89 the other day, I was completely mesmerized!

Love Lionel Richie announcing the "love" songs, how perfect!

;) :p

bobafrett
05-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Well seeing as I graduated from High School in the 80's, a lot of it is like a rewind back into the Gawd awful fashions of the times. It also brings back a lot of memories, like the coleco football. My two favorite years 1980 and 1983, and you all know why! Plus we didn't have the SE then either!

scruffziller
05-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Yep I watched it too. It brought back LOTS of memories.
Most favorite moment was when they were making fun of Rick Astley. And it was cool because I thought that as well. Just overall I thought it was cool how alot of these celebrities did the same things as I did and thought the same things as I did when these things were happening in the 80s.

InsaneJediGirl
05-01-2003, 09:09 AM
I think the series is great,I love the jokes about ROTJ.Lionel Richie is starting to get to me with his love songs of the 80s though,"Can you feel the love"..No I can't because your going to a commerical:p :crazed:

icatch9
05-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by bobafrett
My two favorite years 1980 and 1983, and you all know why! Plus we didn't have the SE then either!

Can't miss an chance to take a jab at the SE huh? :D.

I can't stand Lional Richie either. His face is so huge, it's like hes sitting right in front of me. The Dice Man can take a breather too, he's just not funny.

2-1B
05-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Take back what you said about Lionel. :mad:

:crazed:

That guy is the ultimate pimp ! I love him. :happy:

Mandalorian Candidat
05-01-2003, 02:49 PM
The series is a blast but I don't understand why they have people who weren't even famous back then doing the narration for the shows. Why not get Martha Quinn, Michael J. Fox, or other people who were actually big in the 80s to come back and host the show? At least having Lionel Richie intro the love songs makes some sense: he was big back then. Andrew Dice Clay was never big in the 80s, why have him on the show? BTW, when was Andrew Dice Clay ever popular?

sith_killer_99
05-01-2003, 06:01 PM
This sounds like a great series, unfortunatly, I am currently boycoting of VH1.:(

James Boba Fettfield
05-01-2003, 06:03 PM
What for?

sith_killer_99
05-01-2003, 06:36 PM
VH1 did a special called "Behind the Bars", in which they tried to make stars out of criminals who were still serving sentences.

VH1 tried to make money off of the horrible things these people had done. They did so with absolutly no regard for the victims or their families.

So I choose to boycot VH1.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
My two favorite years 1980 and 1983, and you all know why!
You a big Raiders football fan?
"Guilty" and "Yentl" your favorite Streisand albums?
Graduated from high school in '80, from college in '83?
Best Tony Awards for Andrew Lloyd Webber?

Don't be so sure we "know why"! :p

Jedi Clint
05-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
This sounds like a great series, unfortunatly, I am currently boycoting of VH1.:(

IMO you aren't missing out on very much. I could do without the commentary that accompanies the "look-back-at"s.

I don't dig VH1's camera-on-the-criminal gig either.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Don't worry if you haven't caught the series yet. VH1 has been showing at least a couple of episodes per day for the last couple of months.

I remember the name of the guy from 'Ed' with all the wisecracks, Michael Ian Black. My favorite one is when they were talking about the Reagan assassination attempt in 81'. All the celebrities were talking about how Hinckley made the attempt because of the known fact he was trying to impress Jodie Foster. Black replied "I have spoken to Jody about and secretly told me that she was kinda turned on by it."

bobafrett
05-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
You a big Raiders football fan?
"Guilty" and "Yentl" your favorite Streisand albums?
Graduated from high school in '80, from college in '83?
Best Tony Awards for Andrew Lloyd Webber?

Don't be so sure we "know why"! :p

Okay, for those of you who weren't around or are too young to remember, 1980 brought us "The Empire Strikes Back" and 1983 was the year "Return of the Jedi" came out. That was before the dark times, before the SE! :D Sorry, I do like the SE somewhat.

I also graduated High School in 83!

scruffziller
05-02-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
BTW, when was Andrew Dice Clay ever popular?

(In Ozzy voice) B..bbb.b..bb.b.b.b.b..bb back in the late 80s.

Tonysmo
05-03-2003, 02:19 AM
Andrew Dice Clay = Poo Doo.

I've always hated him.

Kidhuman
05-03-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Tonysmo
Andrew Dice Clay = Poo Doo.

I've always hated him.

Are you kidding. Dice was the funniest man ever. I still listen to his tapes and LMAO.

Tonysmo
05-03-2003, 02:55 AM
Ill have to submit you in the same catagory as my other buddy who likes him.. bad taste in Comics.. seriously though, I just never got past the whole - DOH!.. just irks me.

Funny to me, Rodney Carrington, Drew Carey, John Pinnett, Brian Regan ( if you havent heard this guys stuff - check it out! ) and of course Sam Kinision.

Of course these are opinons.. but I find much more tasteful, and distasteful humor from these guys than Clay..

Bel-Cam Jos
05-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Hey bobafrett! I was joking. You'd have to think that if I mentioned "Yentl" for any reason on a SW site, right? Right? Oh please say "right"! Oh why won't you let me explain?!?

Ahem.

Were any of you disappointed that we saw the back of Darth Vader's head in 1980? I always thought it was cool, leading to all kinds of wild ideas and theories why it looked that way. Sounded like the celebs (and I use that term loosely) thought he should've been a robot or something. :frus:

Deoxyribonucleic
05-03-2003, 02:05 PM

Were any of you disappointed that we saw the back of Darth Vader's head in 1980?

I was NOT disappointed at all in the 1980 viewing of the back of Darth's head. I thought it was perfect. It wouldn't be the same movie if Darth was a robot anyhoo, the idea of a human being so evil is SO at the core of many, many movies...IT WORKS! :)

PS. poop on the "celebs" who thought that he should be a robot. What do they know anyway???? :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
05-04-2003, 12:31 AM
Making Vader human was great. It would have been garbage if he was a robot and I don't think SW would of turned out to be as great as it was. And for those celeberities, stop thinking. Thats why you have agents.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Another favorite of mine from the 1982(?) show was a look back at the TV series "Joanie Loves Chachi" (a spinoff of Happy Days). I don't remember the show or anything, but they showed the cheesiest introduction complete with theme song that you ever saw.

It was hilarious when they talked about how 'Chachi' in Korean means 'pen*s' and that how people turned in every week in South Korea, to finally see if Joanie was going to get some.

bobafrett
05-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Hey bobafrett! I was joking. You'd have to think that if I mentioned "Yentl" for any reason on a SW site, right? Right? Oh please say "right"! Oh why won't you let me explain?!?

Ahem.

Were any of you disappointed that we saw the back of Darth Vader's head in 1980? I always thought it was cool, leading to all kinds of wild ideas and theories why it looked that way. Sounded like the celebs (and I use that term loosely) thought he should've been a robot or something. :frus:

No, I knew you were joking around, but then I thought about the younger members on the SSG boards who may not have been born when the films came out. Then they saw the SE, and maybe weren't familiar with the original release date.

As far as the Vader Question goes, I loved seeing the scarred head of the dark sith lord. It was awesome, and only made me crave more. I mean if Vader was to be Lukes father, would you want some robot as a father? I think the whole Vader as a human thing made the movie work so much better.

Arrogant Arse
05-05-2003, 02:09 PM
I like when they rag on David Hasslehoff, and other BAD 1980's TV Shows, (Webster, Punky Brewster, Diff'rent strokes)

Watching these shows REALLY brings up memories for me. I basically grew up during the 80's, and remember 90% of the stuff they talk about. It is scary, but I still listen to, and sometimes prefer the music of the 80's.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-05-2003, 02:35 PM
What scares me is how much Punky Brewster now looks like a young Cher. **shudders**

And also how hot little Rudy is from The Cosby Show.

(OK I mean the grown-up Rudy, not when she was young )

scruffziller
05-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
What scares me is how much Punky Brewster now looks like a young Cher. **shudders**

And also how hot little Rudy is from The Cosby Show.

(OK I mean the grown-up Rudy, not when she was young )

Yea Saline Moon Frye may look like a "young" Cher but she looks older than she should for her age.

That is not Rudy they had on. That is Raven Simone who played the daughter of Lisa Bonet's charachter, but I can't think of the name of Raven's charachter.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
but I can't think of the name of Raven's charachter.

Little annoying s**t!

EDIT: I was really just kidding :D I had stopped watching the Cosby show by the time she got on there so I really have no idea what she was like. ;)

scruffziller
05-06-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
Little annoying s**t!

Really, I thought she was adorable. She even put out a rap album.

LTBasker
05-06-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
That is not Rudy they had on. That is Raven Simone who played the daughter of Lisa Bonet's charachter, but I can't think of the name of Raven's charachter.

Her name was Olivia, check out Doctor Dolittle too, she's definitely changed from tiny. :D

I wonder, is Vh1 gonna do a "I love the 90's"? :eek: :crazed:

Exhaust Port
05-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Milli Vanilli? Grunge clothing?

I'll pass.

scruffziller
05-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Her name was Olivia, check out Doctor Dolittle too, she's definitely changed from tiny. :D

eh, too recent, give it another 10 years.:)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-06-2003, 11:44 PM

Well while they have mentioned no plans of doing an "I Love The 90's" special, while watching one of the "I Love The 80's" specials for the umpteenth time on Saturday, I saw a little blurb in the corner of the screen that said "Coming Soon, I Love The 70's."

scruffziller
07-07-2003, 08:32 AM

The girl who played Rudy was named Keisha Knight Pullman.

bobafrett
07-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Well while they have mentioned no plans of doing an "I Love The 90's" special, while watching one of the "I Love The 80's" specials for the umpteenth time on Saturday, I saw a little blurb in the corner of the screen that said "Coming Soon, I Love The 70's."

Yes, I saw that also. I got excited, because they can now add the original Star Wars! Looking forward to the styles and happenings of 1977. The year I was reborn, as a SW fan!

Mandalorian Candidat
07-07-2003, 02:52 PM
I, Donna Summer, will now present the makeout songs of 1970.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-17-2003, 10:01 PM
"I Love The 1970's" premieres with the year, 1970, starting tomorrow on VH1 at 9 p.m. Something tells me it will lose a bit of the luster when compared to the original, "I Love The 1980's" since you are probably are going to have a different, older group of stars comment on that decade although I hear that certain stars like Mo Rocca, Michael Ian Black from "Ed" and Ron Jeremy are returning to drop their keen insight.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-17-2003, 11:56 PM
I, Donna Summer, will now present the makeout songs of 1970.

Ma'am, who is this legendary queen of disco?
Donna Summer
how would her name appear in the phone book?
Summer, donna
stretch it out now
summer donnnnaaaa?
c'mon now!
summma downa?
simma down now!!

heheheeheh

I love the I love the 80's. Moe Rocca's comment about the Bears "super bowl shuffle" was funny as hell, considering i'm from Chicago and that is a priceless piece of history for us...hehehehhee I still remember watching that thing a lot when i was a young lad. That must be one of the reasons that attritubted to my hatred of musicals now.. :crazed:

Arrogant Arse
08-21-2003, 12:36 PM
I love the I love the 80's.
News: "Coming in October 'I Love the 80's Strike Back.'" I saw a promo for it between an AOL and a Saturn commercial last night. This will probably be followed by "Return of the I Love the 80's"

AA

bobafrett
08-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Moe Rocca's comment about the Bears "super bowl shuffle" was funny as hell, considering i'm from Chicago and that is a priceless piece of history for us...hehehehhee I still remember watching that thing a lot when i was a young lad. That must be one of the reasons that attritubted to my hatred of musicals now.. :crazed:

I own the super bowl shuffle on a 45! I don't have a record player to play it on though. Man that was a good year for Chicago football fans. I can still remember where I watched the Super Bowl that year. I was a wee bit to young to go to a sports bar (did they even exist back then?) so my best friend and I watched at his house with lots of chips and soda.

I started high school in 1979.................a long time ago in a memory far, far away..........

Darth Jax
08-24-2003, 09:22 PM
News: "Coming in October 'I Love the 80's Strike Back.'" I saw a promo for it between an AOL and a Saturn commercial last night. This will probably be followed by "Return of the I Love the 80's"

AA
wonder if that means we'll get attack of i love the 70's. while the commentators they have are ok, it'll be good to let some other people get face time with make-out songs, babes, mr & mrs198_.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-24-2003, 11:27 PM

AA

You wonder if the 'I Love the 80's Strike Back,' will be basically the stuff they couldn't fit into the original hour long show, or will they do all new interviews with different people and explore all new topics that they did not get a chance to explore in the original?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2004, 11:12 AM
They've been re-running this series lately, and apparently I missed a few parts of the years. It was so much better than the '70s, '80s SB, and '90s because the celebs they featured weren't campaigning for their own TV show or their own egos, and weren't so overtly crass and lewd. Michael Ian Black was honest and funny, instead of overly sarcastic and spiteful. Oh well.