PDA

View Full Version : ROTJ questions.

TheDarthVader
04-30-2003, 04:32 PM
First of all, in ANH the holograph of Leia is small but in ROTJ, Luke's holograph is life-size. What gives?
Secondly, Han Solo is blind. After Luke says, "I used to live here you know." Han says, "You're gonna die here ya know." But when he says this, he looks RIGHT into Luke's eyes. I thought he was blind.
Thirdly, who is the woman in red in jabba's palace? You can see her watching Oola being eaten by the Rancor. Who is she?
Fourth, how come the rebels are just now finding out that the Empire has begun construction on a new Death Star? With the Death Star being so big, you would think that someone in the rebellion would have seen it sooner and thought to tell someone about it. It is not everyday that you see a big hunk of metal (half circle) floating around in space. How does it go undected until its near completion in ROTJ?? (structure wise, not operational).
Fifth, Vader and the Emperor have ships that look the same? Is this true? Is it one ship or two different ships that look alike?
Sixth, Jabba keeps the droids Luke gives him. Why does he not supspect anything is odd about this? (Luke used R2-D2 to launch his lightsaber). He tells us that he will not bargain with the Jedi, but he keeps his "token of good will" anyway.

Thanks for any insight on these questions.

TheDarthVader
04-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Oops! One more question. In ANH, they destroy the Death Star by shooting a proton torpedo into the exhaust port. In ROTJ it is different, isn't it? Wedge and Lando simply shoot at the "main reactor". Is this right? There is no need for proton torpedos to destroy the 2nd death star. Is that right?

El Chuxter
04-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader
First of all, in ANH the holograph of Leia is small but in ROTJ, Luke's holograph is life-size. What gives?

I always assumed it was the way in which it was recorded. Leia's was a hasty message recorded on the fly. Luke's was probably carefully planned.

Secondly, Han Solo is blind. After Luke says, "I used to live here you know." Han says, "You're gonna die here ya know." But when he says this, he looks RIGHT into Luke's eyes. I thought he was blind.

Looking in the direction the voice is coming from? That's the best I can do. :)

Thirdly, who is the woman in red in jabba's palace? You can see her watching Oola being eaten by the Rancor. Who is she?

She has a name, but I can't think of it off hand. In the EU, she's in charge of the dancers and is something of a spy for Jabba among the various courtiers. She is not Mara Jade, who isn't seen in ROTJ at all.

Fourth, how come the rebels are just now finding out that the Empire has begun construction on a new Death Star? With the Death Star being so big, you would think that someone in the rebellion would have seen it sooner and thought to tell someone about it. It is not everyday that you see a big hunk of metal (half circle) floating around in space. How does it go undected until its near completion in ROTJ?? (structure wise, not operational).

By the same token, how did they not get wind of the first Death Star much earlier? Space is huge and most of it is empty. There's obviously no Rebel presence on Endor, nor do there seem to be any sentients from other world at all aside from the Empire. It's a perfect hiding place.

Fifth, Vader and the Emperor have ships that look the same? Is this true? Is it one ship or two different ships that look alike?

They're both Lambda-class Imperial shuttles.

Sixth, Jabba keeps the droids Luke gives him. Why does he not supspect anything is odd about this? (Luke used R2-D2 to launch his lightsaber). He tells us that he will not bargain with the Jedi, but he keeps his "token of good will" anyway.

He thinks Luke offered the droids in good faith as a trade for Han and it's he who's doing the doublecrossing. However, he sends both droids (under heavy security) to EV-9D9, who has both fitted with restraining bolts to discourage any rebellion on the droids' part. Presumably she scans them for explosives and whatnot, too.[/B][/QUOTE]

El Chuxter
04-30-2003, 04:50 PM
Oops! One more question. In ANH, they destroy the Death Star by shooting a proton torpedo into the exhaust port. In ROTJ it is different, isn't it? Wedge and Lando simply shoot at the "main reactor". Is this right? There is no need for proton torpedos to destroy the 2nd death star. Is that right?

I'm not sure they were lasers rather than torpedos. They had to fly into the Death Star's core because Imperial engineers had come up with a different method of releasing exhaust that eliminated the exhaust port that was such a glaring weakness in the first Death Star. Had they waited until the structure was complete, it could have been unstoppable.

bobafrett
05-01-2003, 01:11 AM

Personally, I think it was used to keep us from throwing our hands up in the air going "Oh boy, not again!", or the Empire decided not to make this Death star as vunarable to attack as the first. You remeber the line in ANH, "We''ve analized their attack sir, and there is a danger...." Please forgive me if I didn't get the line 100% right, but the point is, they were trying to learn from there mistake. But I like El Chuxter's explanation.

JediTricks
05-01-2003, 07:20 PM
1) I believe R2 had no time to make a detailed hologram, Leia was in a hurry, so he went with a basic one.

2) Han is mostly blind, but can now see a little - he looks towards where the voice comes from and probably sees Luke's eyes as a big contrast to the rest of his face. The real reason is probably because Harrison Ford was just phoning it in. ;)

3) Huh? Woman in red?

4) The Endor moon is secluded and the DS2 is very small in comparison to that moon, space is MASSIVE, it'd be very difficult to detect anything the size of a moon if you didn't know where to look. The only reason the Rebs knew where this one was at all was because the Emperor handed them the knowledge.

5) Vader and Palpatine both use an Imperial Lambda-class shuttle, but Vader's is a standard one that he takes from his Super Star Destroyer over to the DS while Palpatine's shuttle is advanced and fortified and may have made the trip from Coruscant to Endor all by itself.

6) To almost everybody in the SW universe except our heroes, the droids are merely tools and slaves without the power or will to be of any real harm.

7) The DS2 has no shielded thermal exhaust port on the outside that would allow the kind of chain reaction that destroyed the DS1 to occur - that's part of the bait that Palpy leaves the Rebs. In ANH, the proton torpedo Luke fired into the exhaust port causes a chain reaction that leads to the central core to cause an explosion. In ROTJ, the Rebels' only chance to destroy the station is to fly into the DS2's superstructure and destroy the central core directly while this area is still incomplete and vulnerable.

Wedge and Lando seem to use proton torpedoes when firing at the central core in this sequence as well, could be because the core itself is ray-shielded or because the protonic envelopes will allow the torpedoes to pass through the high energy of the core without exploding prematurely.

Darkross
05-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Remember that Wedge knocks out the power regulator on the north tower...allowing Lando to knock out the core. This time the Falcon fire's the leathal shot on the DeathStar...making it ever so sweet!

scruffziller
05-02-2003, 12:20 PM
What is the name of the species that has the tentacle sticking out the cell as C3PO say EWWWW How horrid!!!!, and name if he had one.

TheDarthVader
05-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Another question. Luke is always asking Kenobi about his father. My father blah blah blah. Why doesn't luke ask Kenobi about his MOTHER? Kenobi knew Padme intimately. But he never tells luke about her. We know that Luke is interested because he asks Leia about their mother. So why not Kenobi? And why doesn't Kenobi just tell him??

JediTricks
05-03-2003, 05:53 AM
Owen is the first one to bring up Luke's father, followed by Ben, Luke only responds to their comments about Luke's father - they brought it up, not him. Luke aspires to be like the father he is told about, he knows Owen and Ben definitely have information about this mysterious father so he focuses on that. I don't think it's out of character to not bring up Luke's mother here; maybe he's never heard much about his mother and her legacy doesn't weight upon him in the same way, he seems to have little sorrow about not knowing his mother at all in the conversation in ROTJ (though that could be to bad writing or directing).

TheDarthVader
05-03-2003, 12:57 PM
Okay that makes sense but Padme was quite the lady. She had the iron will, the same one Leia has. Why wouldn't they tell him about her because she was a great person? That is what I am asking about. Padme is intelligent, a fighter, and stands 100% behind what she believes to be "right". (She wouldn't join Dooku on Geonosis).

stillakid
05-04-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
3) Huh? Woman in red?

I went through my ROTJ captures and couldn't come up with a woman in red either, but I did find this presumably hot blonde...:cool:

TheDarthVader
05-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Thats a cool chick, but thats not the one I am talking about. Thanks for the picture though!! I saw her on the original trilogy vhs full screen. (Not the SE) I am not sure if she's on the SE.

Beast
05-04-2003, 04:32 PM
The lady in red? Are you talking about Jess? She's got white hair and a red bikini and a green skirt with red belt? Here's a picture so you can check. Not sure if she's actually in the movie or not, but I think she is. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
05-04-2003, 07:03 PM
The woman in red is apparently Laudica. The EU (Tales from Jabbas palace I think) has it that she is in charge of the dancing girls. In reality just another extra. Considering that the in-house names for characters are being found for the cantina i bet it won't be long before we see the real names created by lucasfilm for the ROTJ extras and background characters. I've never been a fan of the silly names thought up by west end games or Decipher. I'm now getting used to calling Muftak from the cantina Cullatran and Kabe Tink. :)

TheDarthVader
05-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Yes, that is her. You can see her beside a jawa toward the end of the scene were oola is being eaten by the rancor. :)
Thanks, EJ!!

RooJay
05-05-2003, 04:36 PM

I had always assumed that this was due to the fact that one of them was a big hologram and the other was a little hologram. I never perceived any incongruity in this. When you take a picture of something with a camera you can use the film to make both small pictures AND big pictures.

As mentioned by another poster, Han is only MOSTLY blind at this point. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Besides, I have known blind people to be capable of looking people in the eye.

TheDarthVader
05-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
As mentioned by another poster, Han is only MOSTLY blind at this point. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Besides, I have known blind people to be capable of looking people in the eye.

Good point there. I never thought of that before. Thanks!