PDA

View Full Version : D-rings on lightsabers

seanmcfripp
04-30-2003, 11:51 PM
We all know Luke, Ben, and Vader had D-rings on their lightsabers to attatch them to their belts. We also know that every other Jedi in the new films attatches their lightsaber to a little black module on their belts. So here's the question...why the change in design?

I've given it a little thought. From what I understand, the diatium power cells used in lightsabers are supposed to last quite a while. When the lightsaber is ignited, the energy released is cyclic, so you only loose energy when you hit something.

With that in mind, a Jedi in field service might have to go into aggressive negotiations quite often. Hence, the little black mount/module on the belt might act as a diagnostic port or a recharge socket. The module appears to be standard issue for Jedi, along with all the other little gadgets on their utility belts.

But by the time we get to ANH, I would imagine anyone who happened to still own a lightsaber (Ben and Vader) would have had it modified as to eliminate any extraneous or unecessary functions. The Jedi archive director Jocasta Nu wears her lightsaber much like Ben, Vader, and Luke (or at least as far as I can tell from the picture in the Visual Dictionary for Ep II). She's pretty much retired from field service, so she hasn't any need for the fancy utility belt. But she still wears the light saber as a sign of her being a warrior. It just looks a little more ornamental now. Vader I'm sure wore his as a symbol of Jedi/Sith power. How many times do you think he had to use it until he met Ben on the Death Star? Probably not very many, if at all. Although I'm sure he was glad he had it handy when he came across Ben all of the sudden. I can just picture it...

Vader: "Okay. Wallet, watch, TIE fighter keys, clean underwear. I have everything. Ooops! I forgot my lightsaber...might be needin' that today."

Seriously though, is there any official/documented reason for the design change?

Darkross
05-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Not that I'm aware of... I've always thought that the knobb on the end of their lightsabers (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan etc...) was so the lightsaber could be attached to their utility belt for quick release (drawing the lightsaber fast). With the D ring design...perhaps they can do this too...but it would seem to me that there was no real functional reason for the knobb or the D ring...both serve as a means to attach the lightsaber to a utility belt....IMO.

JediTricks
05-01-2003, 08:24 PM
According to EU literature from reference books that came out during TPM, the PT-era lightsabers lack an internal recharging generator and flashback seals. The flashback seal is what keeps a lightsaber from shorting out in water (hence, the deleted scene from Ep 1 where Obi-Wan's saber is burnt out during the Naboo landing), and the PT-era belt clip is indeed an external recharging generator. Also, the PT-era belt clip only allows movement on the belt of 1 degree (rotational y-axis) while the D-ring of the OT allows for limited movement in all 3 degrees thus allowing more freedom of leg movement while wearing the lightsaber.

AndyW
05-05-2003, 05:59 AM
So in the prequels the Jedi's lightsabres recharge on their belts? Thats kinda cool, never picked that up before :D

ps, I'm a sucker for this sort of techy detail.

JediTricks
05-05-2003, 09:04 PM
Yup, that's the case. Plus, it sounds better than "we found these PDA holsters that looked cool". ;)

I too am smitten with such levels of technological detail in these films (and other sci-fi :D).

seanmcfripp
05-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Also, the PT-era belt clip only allows movement on the belt of 1 degree (rotational y-axis) while the D-ring of the OT allows for limited movement in all 3 degrees thus allowing more freedom of leg movement while wearing the lightsaber.

Good point. I thought of that as well. When Luke is running around Cloud City, he has to hold his lightsaber to keep it from flopping around (looks a little silly).

JediTricks
05-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Hmm, not sure if that's a positive for the PT-era clips or not. ;)

But in any case, he can run freely without worry about whacking into it with every stride. Granted, the PT-era belt clip will move somewhat with the belt moving as the person runs, but I think it'll get in the way a little more than the D-ring.