PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Patient Zero
05-02-2003, 02:54 PM
http://www.lxgmovie.com/

Who the What What??? I just stumbled across this and I have no idea how I feel about it. Any thoughts?

James Boba Fettfield
05-02-2003, 03:01 PM
You're just now hearing about the League? Wow.....I don't know much about it besides all of the troubles on the set and stuff with director Norrington, but the trailer I saw of it before X2 looked like the film might be alright. Then again, I never read the comic series of it.

2-1B
05-02-2003, 03:52 PM
I saw the trailer before Daredevil (I think) and I wasn't very intrigued . . .

Tonysmo
05-03-2003, 03:12 AM
Ill take the wait n see attitude, seems like it "might" be good. Of course anything now with Sean Connery only reminds me of SNL and jepoardy... The Pen is mightier for 1000 Alex! Some of the trailer looked kinda cool.. Until recently I had never heard of it either..

darthvyn
05-03-2003, 08:36 PM
based on a comic by alan moore, it's a super team consisting of famous literary characters - mina murray (dracula) captain nemo (20000 leagues...) hawley griffin (the invisible man) and dr. jekyll and mr. hyde (from... dr. jekyll and mr. hyde...) with allan quartermain (from king solomon's mines) who is basically the first indiana jones... if they pull it off, it'll be awesome.

RooJay
05-03-2003, 09:14 PM
If it's half as good as the comic it'll be a great movie. That's a big if though. Most of us fans of the book will be going in with severely lowered expectations, though I still remain hopeful.

Sentinel18725
05-04-2003, 12:07 AM
I just saw the trailer today. Your stating that it was a comic? Any further info on it? Was it an ongiong series? When was it put out? things like that...thanks.

2-1B
05-04-2003, 03:10 AM
Having now seen the full trailer, I must say it looks better than I first thought. :)

Vyn, I thought I read that Tom Sawyer is in the film? :confused:
Is that true?
I guess I assumed Connery was playing Tom Sawyer but I know NOTHING about the film beyond that . . . so please correct me. :D

Darth Shifty
05-05-2003, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure if Tom Sawyer is in the film or not, but Sean Connery is playing Allan Quartermain who leads the League. His character is from Henry Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines.

RooJay
05-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Tom Sawyer is in the film. He is played by Shane West, and plays a major role in the story from what I hear, in spite of the fact that he's never been in the comic. The other characters are Alan Quartermain (Connery), Mina Harker of Dracula fame (Peta Wilson), the Invisible Man (Tony Curran) - well not THE Invisible Man, but an Invisible Man (apparently the film rights to the original, Hawley Griffin, were tied up elsewhere so they've had to come up with a new one for this movie), Dr. Henry Jekyll/Edward Hyde (Jason Flemyng), Captain Nemo (Naseeruddin Shah), and Dorian Gray (Stuart Townsend).

The comic (the first series dealing with the League's battle with 'the Chinese Doctor' is available in trade paperback form, and is well worth a look) was published by DC Comics through Wildstorm and Alan Moore's 'America's Best Comics'. The series is currently in it's second volume (a unique take on H.G. Wells, War of the Worlds). The first four issues have been collected in two bumper compendium books that should still be available at local comic shops. The latest issue is a bit behind schedule, however, but will doubtless be well worth the wait when it's finally released.

I also highly recommend reading the Atlas running as a back-up feature in the latest series. It's full of references to lots of oher things going on in the world of Alan Moore's League; it references everything from Alice in Wonderland, to Paul Bunyan, the Wizard of Oz, the Beatles Yellow Submarine, even the Big Lebowski! Not to mention hundreds of others; some more obscure, some very well known.

scruffziller
05-05-2003, 02:36 PM
So Roger Moore isn't in it???

RooJay
05-05-2003, 02:40 PM
For those interested, here are a few links to the movie site:
LXGmovie.com (http://www.lxgmovie.com)
A really cool and informative site on the comics:
Wildstorm's League minisite (http://www.wildstorm.com/minisites/loeg/loeg.html)
A look at the League's line-up (in the comics) as well as some of the various other Leagues throughout time (yes, there have been others in the comics):
The League of Leagues (http://www.comp.dit.ie/dgordon/League/loeg0010.html)
I also recommend the League message board at DCcomics.com (http://www.dccomics.com) ; lots of great information there on both the comics (primarily) and the film. Plus, these guys can answer any comic question you could possibly have about the League.

RooJay
05-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
So Roger Moore isn't in it???

There is a rumor that he has a cameo role, but nothing has been confirmed to my knowledge.

mrmiller
05-05-2003, 02:59 PM
*Yawn*

It might actually be good, but doens't really excite me. Kinda like the Core- has potential, but nothing really makes me want to see it over other movies.

=MATT=

JediCole
05-05-2003, 03:07 PM
A special "hats off" to RooJay for beating me to the punch on this one. If you want to read a quality comic book story, check out the original League of Extraordinary Gentlemen trade paperback (or the individual issues if that is preferable). Though it would probably be best to keep an open mind in regard to the comic versus the movie.

Needless to say, I loved the comic. It cleverly combined some of England's greatest fictional characters of roughly the same time period into a coherant story that was facinating and very well realized both visually and literally. Unlike many fans of the comic, I look forward to the film with almost equal zeal. I have come to realize that, like X-Men, you have to divorce yourself from the comic to truly enjoy the film.

That changes are inevetable when adapting anything from one medium to another is a given. The big fuss in the comics community has been in regard to what I call the "Americanizing" of the cast of characters coupled with the punching up of the action over the story. As a result, Poe's Dorian Gray and Twain's Tom Sawyer have been added to the mix of formerly European characters. But those who find fault in this fail to realize that the filmmakers stayed true to Alan Moore's vision with Captain Nemo (unlike the Disney 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, American audiences will discover that Verne's Nemo was not English, but Indian). Mina Harker has been punched up the most, given the full range of powers attributed to vampires (she showed no such traits in the comic) and I suspect that Quartermain's opium addiction will be removed outright.

One hope I do have is that the Leagues headquarters in London will remain true. The subtle suggestions that the League in the comic is only the latest incarnation were everywhere in the backgrounds of the headquarters. Previous members seem to have included James Gulliver and Fanny Hill amoungst other fictional characters of earlier periods. There were also artifacts of the adventures of such literary characters on display. I would hope that we get to see such suggestions present in the film.

My only complaint would be that the incredible design of the Nautalis was abandoned for the film. But then, that was the comic's only real departure from heavily reasearched accuracy when dealing with the assorted characters. I suspect that the movie version may be more true to Verne's descriptions than the mechanically tentacled machine present in the comics. But I was hopeful to see that on screen none the less!

All in all, taken as a good adventure story with a unique cast, it should be a fun and enjoyable film in its own right.

scruffziller
05-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Watched the trailer, this looks like kind of movie. I have always liked stories that take familiar elements and puts twists on them.

RooJay
05-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
A special "hats off" to RooJay for beating me to the punch on this one.

;)

If you want to read a quality comic book story, check out the original League of Extraordinary Gentlemen trade paperback

Hell, you could recommend it for anyone who wants to read a quality story in general! :) No need to even be a comic fan.

Mina Harker has been punched up the most, given the full range of powers attributed to vampires (she showed no such traits in the comic)

Fan to fan, you have to admit that Moore has been implying that there's something more going on there than we have previously seen. I recall Dracula's name and those particular events being mentioned more often than in the past in the current storyline - not to mention the condition of her scars!

My only complaint would be that the incredible design of the Naut[ilus] was abandoned for the film.

Have you seen the newest trailer? I've seen it attached to copies of X2, and it shows the Nautilus much more clearly. It still looks a bit different than in the books, but is definitely much more spectacular than in the earlier trailers! No sign of the tentacles though, but I imagine it's still possible they are tucked into the movie version somehow.