PDA

View Full Version : What's the red force field wall all about?

mm74md
05-06-2003, 09:33 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but I just watched EP I again over the weekend and am still totally confused on the red force field wall during the lightsaber fights.

I'm assuming they are fighting in a power plant type structure, but what is the point of the red walls???

keith koth
05-06-2003, 01:10 PM
I believe it was some type of power coupling...and the point of it being a plot device to separate Qui-Gon from Obi-Wan...so that Obi could stand helplessly as Qui-Gon was defeated :dead: by Maul. I'm not sure exactly, but that has always been my take on the scene. :)

Fulit
05-07-2003, 12:34 AM
It is there so silly Naboo youth don't go frolicking off into the reactor. Because they are really bad at timing the opening of the field. Yeah, that;s it.

JediTricks
05-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Like Kieth mentioned, it's a CPD - Contrived Plot Device. ;)

I believe it's supposed to be timed to keep gasses from escaping or something like that since it's protecting the melting pit.

scruffziller
07-07-2003, 12:21 PM
And I believe they are made of raw energy. If they are to contoll the gases and they are in a reactor, you would think the gases would be toxic and harmed our esteemed Jedi and darksiders.

TheDarthVader
07-08-2003, 01:40 PM
I believe this was asked at starwars.com (the "jedi council"). I was trying to find it, but my pages were messing up. I know it was asked before December 2002. If you want to look there, you might find the definitive answer. ;)

JediTricks
07-09-2003, 06:07 AM
TDV, cool Bender avatar! :cool:

I remember that Q&A too, but I can't find it on the site. I've tried plenty of searches, looked at all the Ask the JC archive pages, but nothing yet.

stillakid
07-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Like Kieth mentioned, it's a CPD - Contrived Plot Device. ;)

I believe it's supposed to be timed to keep gasses from escaping or something like that since it's protecting the melting pit.

That scene in GalaxyQuest comes to mind where Sigourney stands there in front of those stomping machine piston thingies and exclaims, "Why are these here?!"

George, of course, perfected his Megaman video game contrivance in AOTC with the Droid Factory chase sequence.

The Overlord Returns
07-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Yeah.....I sort of rate it up there with the total and utter lack of accessible payphones within the matrix. Why are they always a 15 minute chase scene away from a bloody payphone????

Pendo
07-16-2003, 02:18 PM
In the matrix, I don't think it can be ANY phone, only ones connected to a certain hardline, I think... But if not you're right :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

JediTricks
07-17-2003, 02:24 AM
In the matrix, I don't think it can be ANY phone, only ones connected to a certain hardline, I think... But if not you're right :rolleyes:!

PENDO!
I believe you're correct Pendo. Or maybe they had a severe pimp & drug dealer problem in that city and had to take most the payphones out. :D (that's something they did here in LA about 10 years ago)

stillakid
07-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Yeah.....I sort of rate it up there with the total and utter lack of accessible payphones within the matrix. Why are they always a 15 minute chase scene away from a bloody payphone????

Using the same confounding logic that drives so many people up a wall here, I managed to employ the same sort of logic chain arguments to convince a die-hard Matrix fan (neighbor of mine) that the entire foundation of Matrix is ridiculous from the get-go. He finally caved in and realized there was no choice but to agree, except to say, "But the Kung Fu is soooo coool!" Yeah. Right.

There is no use in even asking questions like this (ie. the phone line) because the movie exists for just two reasons: 1. to show off Kung Fu, 2. ...in slow motion.

The Overlord Returns
07-18-2003, 02:32 PM
I believe you're correct Pendo. Or maybe they had a severe pimp & drug dealer problem in that city and had to take most the payphones out. :D (that's something they did here in LA about 10 years ago)

Yeah they had to do that in my neighborhod here in Toronto about 7 years ago......it's all very different now...but itwas a huge pain back in the day.....