PDA

View Full Version : Organizing software for your Star Wars collection

JangoFart
05-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi, all.

I just got some real cool, very customizable software for organizing my Star Wars collection. I thought I'd pass it on so you can check it out too. Here's an eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3130123179&category=751

Enjoy!

J

Mandalorian Candidat
05-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Sounds neat, but I'll just stick with Excel for free instead of their total price of $20.

Vortex
05-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Not bad, look easy enough to use,but I keep my stuff on a spread sheet I created back in 97 for my collection. I sure as heck don't want to have to redo it again.

JangoFart
05-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Well, you won't have to do it again. I imported the entirety of my nearly 600 figures from my Excel sheet without a hickup.

What I really dig about this software is the customization that it allows. For instance, the form that you enter or import your data to can be completely re-written and re-organized. You can, for instance, change the name of the column "Debut Card" to "Card Style" without any headache.

It also does importing from Access sheets, but I haven't done that b/c I don't use Access.

Oh, yeah. You don't have to pay the $4.00 shipping. You can just download it and avoid the shipping cost.

Not to p1mp the software or anything. If you guys/gals aren't interested, then you can go about your business; move along, move along. I just got it last weekend and really dig it. Thought I'd share it with you all.

J

Val Da Car
05-06-2003, 04:04 PM
One of my buddies uses Filemaker Pro....great for searching what he has and does not have....

bobafrett
05-07-2003, 12:13 AM
That looks like the software program I was looking at. If anyone else has it, could you tell me if it's easy to use?

JangoFart
05-07-2003, 12:33 AM
I've been taking pics of my figures and putting them into my database tonight. Looks purdy sweet.

There's somethings which could be different on it, but I think it's a great program. And, it is easy to use. It did take some time getting the hang of all the customization options; but everything has a learning curve of some sort.

What I did, and I recommend anyone else do, is make a backup of my list and use the backup for importing and other testing purposes. As with all computer data, you don't want to take the risk of something horrible happening to the list you've worked so hard on.

J

Mandalorian Candidat
05-07-2003, 01:51 AM
Hey JF, wasn't ragging on you or anything. I just meant paying $16 or so for figure filing software wasn't my thing. Sounds like a neat program though.

JangoFart
05-07-2003, 02:21 AM
Hey man, I know that. I didn't think that at all.

And, I'm sure you know but, that "go about your business" text was a quote from Ben to the Sandtroopers. Just seemed to fit the occasion :)

J

Kidhuman
05-07-2003, 07:25 PM
What is the name of the program? Maybe you could download it for free on Kazaa.

JangoFart
05-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Um, check out the link.

J

BanthaPoodoo
05-08-2003, 11:02 AM
link don't work

JangoFart
05-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Yeah, just noticed that. Check out:
http://www.worldcoinsexplorer.com/miscellaneous.html

That's their homepage.

J

Darkross
05-09-2003, 11:35 AM
I just use Excel to keep track of my collection. Software looks cool though...especially for collectors with alot (1000+ figures)...hard to keep track of everything.

JangoFart
05-09-2003, 02:17 PM
I'll continue to keep my Excel list - I've worked too hard on it to give it up. However, I like the new program very much; it's customization can't be beat and the easy ability to add pics of your figures right next to their listing is sweet. (Can be done in Excel also, but it's a mo-fo to do it and make it look good. Gave up on that quest about a year ago.)

Excel is perfectly fine for organizing any collection, IMO. But, if you're looking for that extra oomph, this program can't be beat.

J

sith_killer_99
05-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Well, I don't have Excel, and considering the price for a full version I think this is a nice alternative.

I am considering buying this program. LMK, how it turns out for you Jango.

I like a few of the added features in their template, such as cost, date purchased, etc. I kinda wish I had this thing when I started collecting. It would be interesting to look back at what I paid, or when I added certain figures to my collection.

The picture feature is nice for variations or for noting the condition of individual carded figures.

seth_quinn
05-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
That looks like the software program I was looking at. If anyone else has it, could you tell me if it's easy to use?

you mean FilemakerPro? yeah it's fairly easy to use for beginners and is everything a sw could ask for. I love it. if you're good with computers n' such, you can make a themed interface, include an image of each entry, as mentioned earlier it's a dream to search though, it's easy to import/export, etc,....
it sounds like jf's program is working out as well so either would be a solid choice.

(fm-p on the whole it is also a very powerful application whose true strengh lies in it's scripting capabilities. I wrote a script using it that will create and save in new folders, ready for uploading, about 250 unique links pages in around one minute, once a database of urls is supplied to it)