PDA

View Full Version : how to store my figures

nack5811
05-07-2003, 01:25 PM
I just went through every collectors nightmare - the way i stored my mint figures did not work. I had my figures put away in an upright position in the 30 gallon plastic containers but some of them are bending. I need ideas on how to properly store my collection. I dont have enough money to buy star cases for each and every one of my figures. Any suggestions will be welcomed, but the cheaper the better. Please leaves ides in this post. Thank you

JangoFart
05-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately, it's inevitable that figures in no sort of support device will begin to warp or bend. Ideally, the best way to store figures would be in Star Case-type devices and laying them flat on their cardbacks - that way gravity is not an issue.

I'm sure you'll get some various advice on how to avoid storing your collection in Star Case-type devices, but I think it's inevitable that you'll need them if you want to keep your collection looking as nice as possible for as long as possible.

You may want to put your collection on hold for a little while and, instead, save your money for some Star Cases or other holders. When you buy them in bulk, you can get them for as little as $1 a piece.

Best o' luck.

J

Grissom
05-07-2003, 03:11 PM
I use the rubbermaid containers called "Wrap and Craft containers" they are long and deep containers that come with two trays inside to hold various holiday wrapping stuff. Open them and the two trays can be taken out. Then place the carded figures on thier side and alternate it so they support one another untill you take up the whole length of the container. There should still be enough room to even lay some on top of before closing the lid. I have about seven of these containers holding the bulk of my 400+ collection and they work great. Just make sure that you don't stack high bubbled cards on top because they may not clear when the lid is closed and it could smash it, not to mention the characters below.:cry: Save your 30 gallon containers for the boxy stuff like cinema scenes, beasts, etc. It is getting near summer so finding the containers could be tough ( I had a hell of a time finding them untill Christmas rolled around again) but maybe if you contact Rubbermaid they can hook you up. Good Luck

Kidhuman
05-07-2003, 03:55 PM
I use 50 gallon totes to store mine. They hold up pretty good without warping or bending. Just place them front to front and line up tight in a row. Just stack in the opposite direction for the next row.

plasticfetish
05-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
Unfortunately, it's inevitable that figures in no sort of support device will begin to warp or bend.
Agreed.

The weather and temperature in your area will effect this also. If it's not possible to lock your collection in an air conditioned and humidity free room, then you may want to buy a few Star Cases (at least for your favorites.)

jjreason
05-07-2003, 06:19 PM
I used to store mine in comic book long boxes, they're the right size for figures one behind the other. I think if you had them back to back, then bubble to bubble alternating, the figures would support each other a little bit to boot. Good luck, this is a dilemma I don't envy. I used to hang my favourite carded figures on the wall in comic bags as well, none of them ever suffered any damage over the 3 years I collected figures that way. Good luck with this, if all else fails have a huge opening session, I did and I'd highly recommend it. You'll need a few rubbermaid bins for your loose figures though, should you choose this drastic option.

JJR

Turbowars
05-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Look, Fart is 100% right. You can get the Star Case #1 as low as 69 cents each on e-bay. You only need the #2 for the Saga cards. Buy a few at a time, but when you buy a case of 50 of #2's, the shipping is free.

bobafrett
05-08-2003, 12:13 AM
I stack mine upright in Yaffa blocks. Since I never intend to sell them, and I do enjoy pulling them out like they are books to read, I really don't mind a minor bend in the package. By the time my collection gets sold, I'll be dead! (Hopefully not in jail, having to sell to make bail money)

MaxRebo34
05-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Star Cases are without a doubt the way to go. Then you can display them on your walls and make your room look better than the Death Star.

Brainiak76
05-08-2003, 05:28 PM
A prob ive also had!! im runnning out of room fast and more and more momc figs come in all the time! I need a spare room or somehting! even if i do get containers which i have pondered i still wont have room for the containers!:( so it seems like a lose lose situation to me..

JangoFart
05-08-2003, 08:27 PM
What the heck is up with all the "anti-Amy chick" avatars?

Did I miss sumpin?

J

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-08-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
What the heck is up with all the "anti-Amy chick" avatars?

Did I miss sumpin?

J '

Yeah there's like at least 3 people with them.....

Turbowars
05-08-2003, 08:44 PM
AntiAmy? Whats up?

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
AntiAmy? Whats up?

Sorry to get off topic but yeah there's an anti Amy movement going on. Now the count is six avitars and I think it has to do with DNA buying something and not getting the thing

Turbowars
05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
I see, a trade went bad. I don't see Amy online anymore. Didn't someone say she was a dude? I guess a guy could have the name Amy. Oh well hope DNA gets his stuff.

wookiepilot
05-09-2003, 06:03 AM
the best way I found to store my figs is ...

I use rubber maid containers (I typically buy a bunch when home depot or kmart has a sale .. I get the 25 - 30 gallon ones they range from $2.50 to $4.50 depending on the sale). Anyway I then put a layer of packing peanuts in the bottom topped with a single layer of bubble wrap and then a row of figs laying flat on their back on the bubble wrap. I then put a layer of bubble wrap over the card and seperate layer over the bubble. Next I put in another layer of figs (this time reversed .. so both figs look at the others card) making sure to add packing peanuts along the way (also make sure to work peanuts in between the rows so the figs dont bang together side to side. I then put down another layer of bubble wrap (to seperate this layer of figs from the next) and then repeat the process. Also remember to alternate the layers from side to side.

This has worked out pretty well for me ... the only problem is that when I want 1 fig I need to pull the whole bin apart. But anymore Im storing stuff for the long term so its really not a problem for me.

Anyway here is a parts list and approx cost for 1 bin worth of material.

(1) bin - 25 to 30 gallon $3.00
(*) bubble wrap (if you buy it in the big box at staples) $1.50
(*) packing peanuts (I get mine from work but alot of stores will just give them to you) $free

So for $4.50 and about an hour of time I can store 30 to 36 figs
(30 * $5 = $150) so my storage costs me about 3% the value of the contents .. not bad in my opinion.

TheDarthVader
05-09-2003, 12:00 PM
I have put in over $200 to protect my figures. I bought some Star Cases (best way to go) and some plastic storage bins like just about everyone else that has posted. Star Cases are great. You may feel bad initially for spending the big $$ but afterwards it is cool because you can virtually "throw around" your figures and not have to worry about damage. My figures are in big cardboard boxes now. And I know I don't have to worry about them. Then, once I get a house, I can hang my figures in their cases and not worry about dust getting on my figures. It is a great way to display your collection!! I just bought 100 cases from a board member, maul4ever, for $100 and that included shipping. I sent him payment today. So, go with the star cases...save some money and JUST DO IT ;)

JangoFart
05-09-2003, 01:12 PM
I have over 500 carded figures (not including boxed items like Cinema Scenes, etc.) and all are in either Star Cases or acrylic cases. 'Twert cheap, that's for sure. But, when you buy in bulk you get a much better deal. The $700 or $800 I spent in protection for my collection was money well spent, in my mind.

Since we all have space concerns, I have my favorite stuff in my home office/nerd room. The rest are in closets inside of cardboard boxes safe and snug in their Star Cases.

J

Brainiak76
05-09-2003, 05:54 PM
700-800? OMG!!

Banthaholic
05-09-2003, 06:19 PM
I currently have everything boxed up. I don't have the room in my current apartment.
I have figures stored in cardboard boxes. Stacked in a variety of ways to pack as much in a box as I can safely (without wrecking the cards). When I move I want to get star cases for all of them. Allthough I have all my Vintage carded in Star Cases and they take enough room up.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-09-2003, 06:37 PM
I have several very very large boxes that I put my carded figs in all laying flat, interlacing bubbles so that there is support under EACH and every card, plus the carded figs on top of each other help to keep them flat still. One day I intend to buy star cases for all of them but until then, they stay in these boxes and absolutely none of them have bending/warping.

I bet if you put yours in a flat position with a little weight on top (ie: more figures) they will flatten out over time, star cases will flatten them out over time too!

Good Luck! :)

TheDarthVader
05-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Yes, star cases are a great way to spend money in my opinion. Heck, I don't care what my figures are worth, I just want them to look good. Don't buy "into the hype" and if you buy designer clothes stop doing it and make due. Save the money for star cases...they are really that d*mn good. You'll see and you won't regret it!!!!!!!! :)

Sentinel18725
05-10-2003, 12:31 AM
I live in Chicago so I'm seperated from my figures. I have them in Southern Illinois at my mother's place......she can't wait until I buy a big enough place for them. Anyways, I have my carded figures in footlockers....they stack nicely and I could get lots of figures in each one. Of course I can't get in as many with the new larger bubble saga cards but I still do them. They run 20bucks on sale.....Vehicles are just stacked. I think I'm going to get some big ol' cardboard boxes from UPS and put them in there. It's hard dealing with the plastic on the new vehicles though....

JangoFart
05-10-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader
Yes, star cases are a great way to spend money in my opinion. Heck, I don't care what my figures are worth, I just want them to look good. Don't buy "into the hype" and if you buy designer clothes stop doing it and make due. Save the money for star cases...they are really that d*mn good. You'll see and you won't regret it!!!!!!!! :)

I agree! I love the way my carded figures display in their Star Cases - all nice and clean and shiny :)

If you wanna see more carded figures in Star Cases than you can shake a stick at, head over to the pics of my collection. I enjoyed the comment someone said about seeing that much plastic in one room (or something to that effect).

J

plasticfetish
05-10-2003, 05:01 PM
Plastic is the way to go!

sith_killer_99
05-10-2003, 06:54 PM
If you wanna see more carded figures in Star Cases than you can shake a stick at, head over to the pics of my collection.

Impressive! How many cases do you have?

I currently have 300 Star and 100 Star2 cases. I seriously need more of both. I figure (no pun intended) that I still need at least 50 Star2 and another 100 Star cases, just to get caught up! That dosen't include the Deluxe (etc.) figures I still need to buy cases for.

I need to break out my digital camera and set up my collection photos.

JangoFart
05-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Thanks! I really like the way they display. I have fairly drastically re-arranged my collection area and when I get around to taking some newer pics, I'll slap 'em up there. I'm currently taking pics of EVERY individual figure, front and back, for integration into that new collection software I got - which I'm totally diggin' on.

I really don't know how many I have. I have a mix of both Star Case 1's and 2's, Star Case Deluxes, Play Case 2's and 3's, SLU Doubles cases, and some others that I can't think of :)

The only carded figures in my collection that are not in some sort of plastic or acrylic case are: the Gunner Station sets; the EP1 Mini Naboo Fighter with Anakin; and the EP1 Battle Bags. There's just nothing that will hold those guys. I will have custom acrylics made for these in a month or so.

I have, right now, 544 carded and boxed figures. I don't know what the break down would be if you would take out the boxed items. But, I do know that I have all carded critters, except the above, in cases and I have a big box in my laundry room with another 100 Star Case 2's and about 50 Star Case 1's. (I bought a TON of 'em about 3 months ago b/c I was sick of spending money on shipping every 3 or 4 months. This way, I just paid one shipping charge.)

I had posted a list some time ago about what the dimensions were for all carded figures and which case would hold them. I'll try to dig it up so you'll have a good idea of exactly what you'll need to keep your dudes safe and looking good.

J

bobafrett
05-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Well this is an example of how I store my 3 3/4 inch figures. Sure it won't keep the packages mint, but after several years, I can look at them any time I want.

Keep in mind, the Yaffa blocks are normally in my bedroom, but there isn't a lot of light in my room.

JangoFart
05-13-2003, 12:07 PM
OK, here goes what I know of display cases:

1. The EP1 mini-figs fit in HotWheels/Matchbox cases by Protech. They do not fit the figures EXACTLY, but they will protect your mini figs well enough until something better comes along.

2. The best case for all of the POTF, POTJ, EP1 and Saga Deluxe figures are the Protech Star Case Deluxe. (That's it's new name - it is the same dimensions as the SLU singles cases) This fits them all EXCEPT: POTJ Luke/Bacta and Leia/Cannon; EP1 Electronic Accessory Sets (Gungan cannon and some other thingie); or Saga Nexu. The POTF2 Leia Collection, POTF2 Max Rebo Band Pairs, and EP1 Trophy Series (Darth Maul) fit in these cases, but the cases are too wide to securely hold the figures over a long period of time, IMO. Also, the Luke and Vader 2-Pack from that Escape the Death Star board game fits well in these cases, albeit sideways.

3. The POTJ Luke/Bacta and Leia/Cannon; EP1 Electronic Accessory Sets (Gungan cannon and some other thingie); and Saga Nexu fit fairly well in the Protech Play Case 3. It's a tad too tall, but is plenty deep enough for even the biggest of these. The Play Case 3 will also protect your Ephant Mon figure - the case is too tall and too wide, but is deep enough for short term protection.

4. The SOTE 2-Packs (Vader/Xizor and Fett/IG-88) fit perfectly in the SLU Doubles cases. The Electronic Power F/X from the POTF2 line fit great in these, height-wise, but the cases are too wide. Still, it will hold and protect them well enough. The carded CommTech Reader will fit in these, albeit sideways.

5. The Protech acrylic cases do not fit any of the Saga figures or any of the larger POTF2, POTJ, or EP1 figures. I got some custom acrylic cases for my Saga figures from: http://www.kennertoys.com/cases/cases.htm

Oscar is the guy's name and he'll hook you up with any custom-sized case you need. I do recommend tracing your cardback onto cardboard and shipping it to him - to make extra sure of a perfect fit.

I also see that Cloud City is in the acrylic case makin' bidness nowadays, or will be soon. Here's the link: http://www.toycases.com/index.asp

I buy all of my Protech products from: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=328759
John is the dude. He's a great guy who sells at great prices! Check him out. If he doesn't have it on his eBay page, send him an email and he'll give you a quote; or check out: http://corporate.auctionworks.com/store/default.asp?sid=200301100402240000000003300263&sfid=20841
Acrylics at $7.95 each is crazy cheap.

Hope that helps you guys out some. That's all I can think of at the time.

J

Kidhuman
05-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Bobafrett I like the way you store them. It takes up very little space. I might have to bite your idea and use it.:)

bobafrett
05-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Bobafrett I like the way you store them. It takes up very little space. I might have to bite your idea and use it.:)

The power of the Force line and others where the figure was off to the side of the card, I could face them like they would come in the boxes and fit up to 20 figures across, 2 rows deep. Some of the yaffa cubes hold 40 figures. The Saga figures I can only fit 7 or 8 across, 2 deep. I bought some really nice Yaffa blocks at Linen's and things, and you might also find them at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Both of those stores usually have drawers that fit into the cube (sold seperatly). I put my loose collectibles, and special figures such as Jorge Sacul in a drawer at the bottom. Wal-Mart carries the Yaffa blocks from time to time. They usually get the cheaper version which is a slight bit narrower than the other set. Also, Wal-Mart doesn't have the drawers to go with it. I was able to stack the blocks 7 high in my room. I'm even thinking of using some yaffa blocks as a dresser as they are light weight and you can get them in black or white.

Photo of Yaffa blocks in my room

JangoFart
05-14-2003, 02:13 AM
I'm actually surprised that I like that display set up, bobafrett. For a display which doesn't show the face of the card, that display sure rocks.

I dig it!

J

Brainiak76
05-14-2003, 02:21 AM
that does loos pretty good!!

bobafrett
05-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Well, with the limited space I have, I had to make something work for over 400 figures.

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen!

Oh, and with the drawers along the bottom row, it keeps me from kicking my figures enroute to my dresser.

Kidhuman
05-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
Oh, and with the drawers along the bottom row, it keeps me from kicking my figures enroute to my dresser.

Then they are a must. I think I would have to get a drawers for the bottom two levels since I have a dog that is a clepto if you turn your back on him.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Skip! (a.k.a. "bump" )

So, how many of those "old fashioned" CDs have you kept, even if you have a digital version of the song(s) that you liked from 'em?

El Chuxter
03-21-2011, 02:53 PM
I've kept all of mine. The sound quality is better, and, if nothing else, they act as a backup for the digital files. (In fact, I normally buy full albums on CD, since, oddly enough, they're usually cheaper. And anything I buy digitally, I burn a copy for backup.) They're also good for the car.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Weird. My post was to be in a different thread (about CDs [compact discs] still people have). Quite odd. I guess I shall store this post reply in a Hasbro Retired Figures section now? :confused: The new search function has had a few bugs lately.