PDA

View Full Version : Moving is the worst.....

jjreason
05-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Okay, Im here to tell you moving stinks. I don't mind living in a new place so much, but the process of getting from A to B is a nightmare. Here's my sad story.....

The day we received our household effects from the movers, things were going fine. (Some of you have read this rant before, you can skip to the ensuing dialogue if you're bored at this point - JJR) Then all hell broke loose. First, one of the dimwits movers comes lumbering into my new house with 4 boxes of comics stacked akwardly on his trolly. Ends hanginig off, boxes bending under the total weight of this heavy load. In my mind's eye, I can clearly see my many years of Spidey books getting demolished due to this neanderthal's ignorance. Ugly. After I politely told him to discontinue this practise, another nightmare: minutes later, the same guy comes up to me with a whole handful of loose 3.75" accessories from my Star Wars figures. Like 10 loose articles, ranging from Cantina set cups to guns to a gas mask. He asks me point blank "Do you have any idea which box these are from? There's tons more lying in the truck." Now, Im very, very careful about not losing things like this. All my figures are complete since POTF2. I have lost nothing, no easy task. Biting my lip, I asked him to show me where he found these. Entering the truck, I see my large rubbermaid tower on it's back. No longer wrapped in the blanket and taped shut, as it had been upon leaving my house. I managed to scoop up another handful of stuff, seeing through teary eyes.

I stayed up super late trying to account for the losses, it took me hours. Grand total - at least 5 pcs missing so far, with accessory sets and stuff missing an unknown number of pcs. Some things that are gone I can't replace without getting entirely new figures - binders from a Bespin Guard, DF Padme's pistol, Bespin Luke's blaster, etc. For a guy like me, I can't imagine a worse thing to have happen to my toys. Moving stinks.

QLD
05-07-2003, 07:20 PM
I don't like moving either, and hopefully I have for the last time.

I moved into my new house in August, and it went OK. The movers were good for the most part.

One trick about moving SW figs I learned, was to put them in ziplock bags before packing them in the containers. So if they spill, hopefully the bag will keep everything together. I moved a lotin the last several years, and that worked well.

Sorry to hear about what happened though JJR

jjreason
05-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Thanks. The part that ticked me is that they unwrapped the tower before bringing it in the house. My rubbermaid bins came in fine because they left them the way they were! I should have known, and looking back should have packed each drawer of the tower with paper the way I did the bins. That would have acted as a barrier to prevent the escape of the accessories. I still have to blame the movers, though. Everything was fine until they started to offload.

James Boba Fettfield
05-07-2003, 07:56 PM
What condition did those poor comics end up in?

Kidhuman
05-07-2003, 09:26 PM
heartbreaking. If I move I will transport my toys myself. Not gonna live that tragedy.

Exhaust Port
05-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Anytime I've moved I personally transport the items that I don't care to have someone else be responsible for. My CD collection, toys and electronics are always packed, transported and unpack by myself. Dreams of what happened to you JJ are what keep me paranoid about relying on someone else to do the work. Good luck, I hope the damage was minimal.

bobafrett
05-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Sorry to hear about that mess JJR. I counted every address I have lived at throughout my life, and I have moved on avaerage, once every 2 years. After being at my current residence for the past 2 years, I thought I was bound to keep this pattern up since I live in a one bedroom, and I've had my son here with me since Christmas. I e-mailed his mother to find out if he would be staying up here for the next school year. I wanted to find out if I was going to have to rent a 2 bedroom place. After not hearing from her, and having two, 2 bedroom places fall through, I went ahead and renewed my lease here. I'm still not positive as to what is going to happen in the future. I guess I'll just have to see next year when my lease comes up for renewal.

About two moves ago, I was having some friends help me move. These two guys had my Yaffa blocks of SW figures, one guy had the bottom, and the other guy the top. Well, the Yaffa blocks snapped apart and my figures flew everywhere. I almost had a heart attack. Now I've added so many pieces to my collection, that I don't want to move, at least not for awhile.

mini-rock
05-08-2003, 01:25 AM
I just moved last November after living in the same place for 8 years. Having worked for a high end A/v retailer as a delivery manager I know some people do not give a crap about other peoples crap. So I moved everything myself. My theater, and Star Wars figures were the last to leave the old house, and the first in the new house, and I'm proud to say not one thing (of mine) was damaged during the move. If you want it done right, then you have to do it yourself sadly.:)

Patient Zero
05-08-2003, 09:33 AM
I'm 28 and I have moved 11 times (7 times w/ parents and 4 times by self) in my life. You would think that it gets easier, but just the opposite as you accumulate more stuff as time passes. The time that I moved out of my first apartment was the best as I had alot of old junk that I just threw in the dumpster and replaced. It sure was funny to see the neigbhors watch in horror as my brother and I flung chairs, a desk and a broken tv from the second floor deck like we were madmen! It just took less energy then lugging them down the stairs. :evil:

scruffziller
05-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Yea that is great. Throwing Stuff out the window. Hee Hee I moved 3 times in less than a year when I first moved out. I didn't have much stuff. I have alot of SW stuff but not an entirely large amount like some of the collections I have seen on here. But if I ever do move,(using movers) I will keep in mind to take my SW by myself. How much does it cost to use a moving company?

mabudonicus
05-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Oooohhhh, JJ, that's a real burn!!! Sad thing is, if it were a ming vase they wrecked, you'd be in a solid legal position, but how could you even get someone to listen to your plight without seeming nuts?? Ahhh, collecting...
I've moved so many times I can't recall correctly, but more than 10 in the last 11 years or so, some midnight moves, some messy evictions, and a couple of well planned efforts... I HATE MOVING, BIG TIME!!!
I officially curse your movers,JJ "may they have to mave piano collections for time immemorial"... or LOADS of diving weights

QLD
05-08-2003, 01:22 PM
The rate I had for my movers was $100 an hour. It was three guys, and they moved a ton of stuff in 4 hours.

Best $400 I ever spent, especially if you saw ALL the stairs there were at my old apartment.

jjreason
05-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Yeah, they do work hard, and for the most part were conscientious and willing to listen to my (seemingly anal, Im sure) demands. The comics actually came out okay, though it was a scare. The bottom box will need to be replaced, but I was amazed that none of the books were bent at the bottom within (the box did it's job, thank god it was one of my newer ones, and still in good shape). If one of my older boxes had been on the bottom, Im sure at least 100 books would have been hooped.

I moved my really valuable comics myself, carried them on the plane to Ontario and all the way back to BC to avoid any problems having to replace them. Problem was, I just couldn't manage to move all of my stuff. I oversaw the packing and loading as best I could, as well as the unloading. All things being equal, I really could have done a lot worse - but I wouldn't wish the feeling of hopelessness and despair I felt when that came up to me with the handful of loose stuff on my worst enemy.

Working for the RCMP, they payed for the movers. IT would have been insanely expensive to do all of that myself - I moved quite a distance, and onto and island to boot.

bobafrett
05-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Speaking of evictions, I drove this old lady home one night after work. When we got to her place, all her furniture was out on the lawn. She started crying, and I didn't know what to do for her. That was incentive enough though for me to make sure that the rent is paid on time. I might have to move in a year. I dread having to pack up my collection, only because there is so much of it to be packed.

mini-rock
05-09-2003, 01:16 AM
I'm so glad I have only rented 1 apartment in my life. I bought my first house when I was 20 (I'm on my third now) and it was the best thing I coulda done. I could never live under someone els's roof w/ their BS rules.

jjreason
05-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Owning is better, I'd agree. I just hope to own no further homes in my lifetime!

darthvyn
05-09-2003, 08:56 PM
that's awful, though it's good to see you back on the boards, man...

i don't know what i'll do when i move...probably rent a truck and hitch my car to the back...

Kidhuman
05-09-2003, 09:45 PM
All I know is I got family and 20 bucks for a u-haul.

InsaneJediGirl
05-09-2003, 09:50 PM
That is bad JJ,Glad everything turned out for the best:D

Since my family plans to move in roughly a year,I've started to pack things away to be prepared.So far,Liquor store/motor oil boxes have been working very well for me,I guess because of the thick cardboard used.Not all too worried about the movers,I'll just move all boxes marked "Star Wars" myself :)

jjreason
05-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Good call. My stuff actually had to be put in storage for just over a month - our old house turned over March 28 and we didn't get the new one until May 1st. FOr that 5 week period my stuff was in some warehouse on the lower mainland of BC, with who knows who rooting through it? The comic boxes were never taped, the star wars figures were only half sealed shut (and Im absolutely sure they were messed with - I found a few in the wrong drawers of my rubbermaid tower and they can't fall up or down themselves). We went to Ontario for this time on holiday as our families are still there, and we had no where else to stay!!!!
Bad news was I couldn't check on the humidity or temperature of the storage area, and I didn't know whether or not all of my stuff was going to be unloaded/reloaded at and from that facility. What wound up happening was the "containers" (3 cubes of storage space that line up inside the moving truck) were apparently stored in the warehouse without ever being opened. Im not so sure if I believe that, but whatever. The main thing is nothing was lost - for nearly a week I couldn't find the boots for my dress outfit, and thought someone had snagged them for a souvenir! Lucky for me they turned up.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-12-2003, 09:12 PM
I'd hate to imagine how awful moving would be, if I were to leave my current location (which will happen inevitably in a matter of a year or two). I'd have more than a few boxes/totes for my clothes, books, music and other assorted stuff, while my Star Wars collection will take up it's own seperate U-Haul.

Which leads to a bit of an aside.

Does anyone know the best size tote available to fit packaged figures and/or the position to store them in? I have a 22 gallon/83 Liter tote that does a poor job of economically fitting in my figures. It seems that I can fit them more efficiently in a different sized tote. Of course, if I opened them I could probably fit them all in one.

Porcelina
05-12-2003, 10:16 PM
i must agree that the actual process of moving is a drag.. although i've always been fortunate enough to have my father and his station wagon in the past :)

but i love the idea of moving... i get all nostalgic leaving someplace that i have so many memories of..i play sappy music while i pack... and then i get all excited when i'm in the new place, planning where i'm gonna lay out all my stuff, and how to arrange everything....

i'm a bit of a restless creature, anyway, i like to change places every so often... :)

jjreason
05-12-2003, 11:26 PM
Admittedly, there are pros. I can even go to Walmart now, if the mood strikes, without boarding an airplane! What d'ya know? Civilization is nice for a change.

bobafrett
05-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Porcelina
i must agree that the actual process of moving is a drag.. although i've always been fortunate enough to have my father and his station wagon in the past :)

but i love the idea of moving... i get all nostalgic leaving someplace that i have so many memories of..i play sappy music while i pack... and then i get all excited when i'm in the new place, planning where i'm gonna lay out all my stuff, and how to arrange everything....

i'm a bit of a restless creature, anyway, i like to change places every so often... :)

I do enjoy that part of moving. I love the prospect of being able to move and display my collection in different ways, because the room layout and size is different. I really enjoyed my last move, because at my former residence, I had a room mate, and she objected to me having any of my Star Wars collection anywhere but my room. It sucked. But now, my whole apartment is a vast Star Wars landscape of toys, instead of flowery table clothes to match the curtains.

I'll always move my own stuff, unless I win enough money in some contest, then I'll move my stuff antway, because I wouldn't rely on getting my collection from point A to point B in one piece if I had to trust movers.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I need some help in this area. I might be moving to a new house a few miles from where I currently live. Which is fine, since my parents guaranteed me a room exclusively for Star Wars in the basement. :cool:

Anyway, since it'd be so close, we'd probably move ourselves. I'd take care of packing all my Star Wars junk, but I need to know how.

Should I use a box or a Rubbermaid container? Baggies or bubble wrap? If baggies, how many figures per each one? What about bigger stuff, like vehicles? And their stickers etc.?

If anyone could help, that'd be great. :)

2-1B
01-28-2004, 12:41 AM
I would use baggies and secure them in a rubbermaid-ish container.

Boxes frighten me because I'm afraid the bottom will let out or that accessories will get lost in the nooks and crannies.

Kidhuman
01-28-2004, 12:59 AM
Okay, are they loose or MOC?

If loose I would go with the baggies. Maybe hit Wal-Mart or something and buy the Gallon sized baggies. Or the freezer baggies. It would all depend on the size of them. The weapons, when I was a kid, I would store my weapons in a plastic container, like a ziploc bowl or something. After you have packed them up in baggies and such, MAybe put them in a small box neatly. If you are going to be moving yourself, making a few trips wont hurt then. The vehicles and such mine are boxed and as a kid when I moved, I just packed them neatly in a box. Maybe use a box and bubble wrap. Couldn't hurt them that way.

If they are MOC, I just moved about 6 weeks ago. I am a MOC collector. I use huge totes from rubermaid. I have one that held about 100 figures. Stack em front to front and you can fit a ton of them in there and they will hold them selves up. The vehicles I packed in another tote and a box. I moved them myself so they were well taken care of.

Hope that helped ya out a bit.

scruffziller
01-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Yea I have since put all my SW stuff away back in the summer months of 2003. I was thinking about moving so I did stuff I knew would be combersome right at the moment of having to move so it would be alot less work when I did. Well I am not moving yet..... But have my loose SW stuff still in totes and big boxes of MOC. When I do move that will be the first stuff I move and by myself.:) They will be the first things in my place. Plus I am somewhat paranoid of all the kooky pizza delivery guys that come to my door and as they look in. "Oh I see you're a big SW fan!!" And try to shut the door at that point. Would like to show it off but I want to make sure I can continually show it off.;)
But also can do that here; immortalized, on SSG in the collections section.:D

bobafrett
02-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Well, it looks like I'm going to be moving at the end of April. My lease expires, and my son needs to get his own room. Personally I pack my loose figures in plastic ziplock bags. My carded stuff gets placed in the heavier, more durable water boxes, or plastic totes.

bobafrett
03-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Okay, it's now a year later. I am actually moving this time, really! The last time, my son's mom decided she was going to have him live down in Florida for the next two years. I renew my lease at my one bedroom apartment, and now he's back. My lease expires at the end of April. I have been packing and packing, and packing. Boxes are starting to fill up my dining room area. Sad thing is, trhey are mostly filled with my Star Wars collectibles, books, and shirts. I've had to patch all the holes in the walls from hanging numerous pictures both of my son, and Star Wars related posters and autographed 8 X 10's. I've also had to pack up all the stuff on the shelves that were attached to the walls with screws and brackets.

I remembered this thread, and know how much moving really does bite!

Kidhuman
03-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Your speaking the truth, moving sucks!!! I just moved intothis apartment in December and now the Landlords are selling the building, so it looks like I shall be moving again.

bobafrett
03-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Your speaking the truth, moving sucks!!! I just moved intothis apartment in December and now the Landlords are selling the building, so it looks like I shall be moving again.

Tell me about it. When I moved into my current apartment, at that time I didn't expect to ever see my son again until he turned 18. I bought some nice vertical blinds for the front room and the bedroom, at $200 each. I thought I would be living here for at least 10 years. Fast forward three years to present day, my son is back in my life, and living with me, the landlord here has a problem with kids, and to this point hasn't answered my request about the 2 bedroom apartment that is opening up at the end of this month in this very building. I would just have to move my stuff up two floors, either way, I have to move. I just went out and spent $500 on a bunk bed, and desk for my son, who has been sleeping on my couch. At least now he will have his own "Star Wars" free room. I just went and put in an application at a 2 bedroom house about a mile and a half from where I live now. I should be able to get a look at it on the 14th.

Kidhuman
03-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Hopefully you can get the apartment upsatirs. Moving as little as possible helps. You could get it done really quick with minimal help that way. Or get maximum help and get it done in an hour. As long as you dont have to load a truck you will be all good.