PDA

View Full Version : Yoda: "Bring me a ship!"



Darkross
05-09-2003, 10:55 AM
I would like to know...what happened to Yoda's ship when he entered the Geonosian hangar? Was he accompanied by Clone Troopers or did he fly the thing himself? What kind of ship was it? If he was accompanied by Clone Troopers...then why the heck did they not secure the premisess and prevent Dooku from boarding his Solar Sailer?...or let him escape?

icatch9
05-09-2003, 11:16 AM
I imagine he had a republic gun ship, as that's all that we saw. I also imagine he would of been accompanied by clonetroopers, but he probally told them to go back and join the fight. They'd of only got in the way and would have been a better help on the front lines.

Fulit
05-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Darkross has just shot another hole in what is the flaming wreckage of AOTC's "plot".

mini-rock
05-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
I imagine he had a republic gun ship, as that's all that we saw. I also imagine he would of been accompanied by clonetroopers, but he probally told them to go back and join the fight. They'd of only got in the way and would have been a better help on the front lines.


Exactly! He needed a ship which most likely consisted of the pilots and that's it. Yoda was going to take care of Jedi business, and no reason to pull troops from the battle when he already had Obi-Wan & Anakin there.

It's not a screw up like when Vader sensed Obi-Wans presence after the falcon was pulled into the Death Star hanger bay. If Vader sensed Obi-Wan then why didn't he board the ship instead of running to Tarkin? Or like when the Death Star went to blow up Yavin, why didn't they just blow up both planets, and put an end to the Rebellion once and for all? That's just sloppy.

Luckily the prequels so far offer a more believeable story 'cause the OT need serious help.

Brainiak76
05-10-2003, 01:52 AM
that would be hilarious if yoda flew a ship himself! but i agee i think he just asked for a pilot and went himself! no need for troopers there, there not going do nething but get in the way!

jjreason
05-10-2003, 03:24 AM
I would think he likely went with a full ships crew (what that would be I don't know - 2 pilots, a gunner and 6 troopers?) and got let off at a different hangar door, not knowing exactly where the others were? He swaggers in from around the corner doesn't he? The ships crew probably fanned out to chase separatists or were engaged by Geos and had to cover for the little guy. As far as plots go and stuff, I don't really care whether or not movies are a stretch. That's what fantasy is for. It's harder for me to buy into the extreme stunts in XXX (of course I mean the XXX with Vin Diesel) or a late James Bond movie than I do with stretches in plot developments in fantasy films. If amazing events didn't transpire, what the hell would they make the movie for any way?

dr_evazan22
05-10-2003, 06:07 PM
It's possible that the ship that dropped Yoda off was the same that picked up Padme.

Tonysmo
05-11-2003, 01:44 AM
I think he was standing at ground control and then went **BAMF** and just appeared there.. in a little flash of green dust..




ok sorry for mixing movies..

Kidhuman
05-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Tonysmo
I think he was standing at ground control and then went **BAMF** and just appeared there.. in a little flash of green dust..

I was thinking the same thing.


But seriously he probably got dropped off and sent them back to battle.

AndyW
05-12-2003, 05:53 AM
Also, the fate of the first gunship that docked at the landing pad (when off loading Obi Wan and Anakin) was probably reported back to the command post, and so I would imagine the pilot wouldn't want to hang around letting the 'duck beak' fighters pick him off.

Darkross
05-13-2003, 10:56 AM
OK...then...what about the two Clone troopers that disembark with Obi-Wan and Anakin? Yes...there are a couple of troopers that get off with Obi-Wan and Anakin just before the ship is destroyed...did they get killed in the attack? If not...where were they?

I don't believe for one minute that Yoda would be so arogant as to think he could keep Dooku from escaping without some help...I mean c'mon...he had a chance to finish Dooku off but didn't...why not?

Darkross
05-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by mini-rock
It's not a screw up like when Vader sensed Obi-Wans presence after the falcon was pulled into the Death Star hanger bay. If Vader sensed Obi-Wan then why didn't he board the ship instead of running to Tarkin? Or like when the Death Star went to blow up Yavin, why didn't they just blow up both planets, and put an end to the Rebellion once and for all? That's just sloppy.

Luckily the prequels so far offer a more believeable story 'cause the OT need serious help.

If you recall...Vader only says...I sense something...a presence... He only identifies Obi-Wan as being on the DeathStar when he confronts Tarkin. It could be (albeit a stretch)...that Vader is confused by the "force signature" he is sensing...not certain who's it is Luke's or Obi-Wan's and only once he's had time to process those feelings while on his way to see Tarkin that he identifies it as Obi-Wan. He also mentions to Tarkin not to underestimate the power of the force...when Tarkin tells him that Obi-Wan must be dead. It's possible that Vader thought that as well initially...and had some time to process his feelings. Also...we don't know how long it was between the time when Vader sensed Obi-Wan and when he confronted Tarkin about the issue. It could have been hours afterward...where Vader went to his quarters to meditate first and then revealed his feelings to Tarkin. Vader also states that Obi-Wan's plan was not to escape...so why charge into the Falcon...when Vader knew he would end up facing him anyway. Perhaps Vader forsaw that the Falcon could be used to lead the Empire to the rebel base...thus didn't want to jeopardize any attempts they made to escape with the Princess. Vader could have easily kept the Falcon from escaping once he finished off Obi-Wan.

Yes the Yavin moon issue is a biggie...I've often wondered that too... but the planet Yavin was a gas giant and as of yet we have not seen any evidence that the DeathStar's turbo laser could have destroyed let alone penetrate a gas giant planet. Also...the Deathstar was orbiting the gas giant as well...thus putting the Deathstar too close to destroy it safely. That is why they orbit the planet and attempt to destroy the moon.

Darkross
05-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Yes, the prequels are more believable <insert sarcastic comment>...TPM has the biggest holes in the entire SAGA...IMHO. Only one droid ship controlling all droids on Naboo? Where on Earth did all of those control ships from the blockade go that where there at the beginning of the film? Too much of a coincidence to me...to only have one ship in space and thousands of droids depending on one ship to keep them operational. Not a very fault-tolerant plan if you ask me. AOTC...is at least a much better film...almost to the calibre of ESB....IMHO!

2-1B
05-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Yavin is a "gas giant" ? :rolleyes: That sounds like typical EU. ;)

The clones who hopped off with Obi and Ani were either shot and/or knocked off the ledge IIRC. :)

Vader was not confused by any "force signature", he knew it was Obi and that's why he told Tarkin "He is here."

AndyW
05-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Darkross
Only one droid ship controlling all droids on Naboo? Where on Earth did all of those control ships from the blockade go that where there at the beginning of the film?

All the other ships were merely carriers, no crew (I think-not entirely sure on that) other than droids, and no control gubbins. Those ships also lacked the central control computer core required to command all the droids.
Yes its a silly lack of technical foresight in the Trade Federations fleet, but then again, thats the point I suppose. That they have all this very sophisticated technology that had one simple flaw. A la the first death star. See what george did there? :) Everyone give him a clap :)

mini-rock
05-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Darkross
OK...then...what about the two Clone troopers that disembark with Obi-Wan and Anakin? Yes...there are a couple of troopers that get off with Obi-Wan and Anakin just before the ship is destroyed...did they get killed in the attack? If not...where were they?

The troopers were kiled on the platform like Caesar said. It's easy to miss, even on my 65" HD set, but I saw it clear as day in the theater.:)


Originally posted by Darkross
I don't believe for one minute that Yoda would be so arogant as to think he could keep Dooku from escaping without some help...I mean c'mon...he had a chance to finish Dooku off but didn't...why not?

Is there any other time when a Stormtrooper, Clonetrooper, Rebel Soldier, etc. interferes with a lightsaber duel? No, and why not? B/c they would just get in the way. Vader never had Stormies help with Obi-Wan or Luke on Bespin. And on Hoth when Vader personally went onto Echo Base Luke still escaped even with all the Snowtroopers, AT-AT's, and Star Destroyer's. If Yoda is arrogant for facing Dooku, then Vader and the Empire are incompetent morons for allowing Luke, Leia, Han, and the rebels to escape all the time. I don't think that though b/c the duels are between the Jedi & Sith, and do not need to involve anyone else. I mean look, even the Red Guards are dismissed when Luke faces Vader in ROTJ. You'd think that after 5 movies people would p/u on this.:)

Darkross
05-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Is there any other time when a Stormtrooper, Clonetrooper, Rebel Soldier, etc. interferes with a lightsaber duel? No, and why not? B/c they would just get in the way. Vader never had Stormies help with Obi-Wan or Luke on Bespin. And on Hoth when Vader personally went onto Echo Base Luke still escaped even with all the Snowtroopers, AT-AT's, and Star Destroyer's. If Yoda is arrogant for facing Dooku, then Vader and the Empire are incompetent morons for allowing Luke, Leia, Han, and the rebels to escape all the time. I don't think that though b/c the duels are between the Jedi & Sith, and do not need to involve anyone else. I mean look, even the Red Guards are dismissed when Luke faces Vader in ROTJ. You'd think that after 5 movies people would p/u on this.:)

True...but who said anything about the CloneTrooper / Stormtroopers etc..interfering in the Lightsaber duel? I mean surely they (troops - all kinds) could have at least kept the bad / good guys from escaping? Well...if they did though...then there wouldn't be a story now would there.

I agree with your second statement about the Empire being incompitent morons...but not Vader. He kept killing off his officers who failed to succeed in following his commands. So considering that Vader did (with a little help from Boba Fett) trap Han / Leia / Chewie and even Luke on Bespin...it was the incompetent imperial troops / officers who let them all get away...except Han of course. This would hardly put Vader in the same category as the rest of the imperials.

My earlier comment regarding Yoda being arrogant...was merely to reflect how all Jedi are over confident in their abilities...Yoda references this when talking to Obi-Wan and Mace. The only Jedi who didn't let anyone get away was Mace. He totally capped...Jango...while Obi-Wan let him get away...and Yoda / Anakin / Obi-Wan let Dooku get away. And let's not even get into how Luke was overconfident when he went to face Vader and the Emperor...which almost ended up costing him his life.

Darkross
05-13-2003, 06:42 PM
The fact that Vader went to Echo Base searching for Luke...has nothing to do with Luke escaping...since Luke wasn't anywhere near the Echo Base when Vader invaded it. I believe that Vader wasn't just looking for Luke on Hoth...but also Han / Leia...since he knew that if he couldn't get Luke...the next best thing were his friends. The Falcon also escaped because it wiped out the first wave of the Snowtrooper blockade...so I would hardly consider the Imperials letting the Falcon escape...since by the time Vader got there with re-inforcements...the Falcon had already taken off. What I want to know is how on Earth did Luke not encounter any Star Destroyers on his escape from Hoth?...was it because shortly after he left orbit that he jumped to hyperspace?

mini-rock
05-13-2003, 09:13 PM
I agree dude. I don't think Vader is an incompetent moron either, and that was only at the suggestion that oda was arroganmt in choosing to take Dooku alone. If Yoda was arrogant (as wise as he is) then Vader (not being anywhere on the same level as Yoda) must be a complete moron. I don't think both are either.

Yoda went to face Dooku. After a saber battle against his former master, and close to defeat and capture, Dooku used the force to crush the foundation of a pillar (that would have fallen on Obi-Wan and Anakin) to occupy Yoda so he could escape. Dooku pulled a fast one, and Yoda having just schooled him, he knew that was all he could do.

I'll still stick to Yoda thinking that the troopers would best be used in the battle since Obi-Wan, and Anakin would be in the hanger.

As for Echo Base we see that differently. I won't debate it so we don't get off topic, but I do see what you mean, but still stick to my POV.:)

And as for Luke flying off with no STar Destroyers in sight you'd think Vader & Co. would have picked up on one single X-Wing flying off in a different direction than the rest off the Rebels. If they had followed it they could have discovered Yoda, and nipped Luke being trained to be a Jedi in the bud.But that's a different topic.:)