PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to stop collecting, but...

Scackmgack
05-09-2003, 01:04 PM
It's getting to the point where I am so despondent about the possibility of finding anything new on the shelves that I'm not bothering to look anymore.

We all know the trial of driving from store to store to store looking for the new figure that we KNOW has been released because it's plastered all over EBay, but whereas it seemed like, even six months ago, I was able to find stuff if I looked hard enough, now I can't find ANYTHING.

I never saw a Deluxe Clone Trooper, and eventually had to break down and order one off EBay (which required several weeks of looking for the best price I could get). Never saw an Ephant Mon. Still haven't seen any of the new Action Fleet vehicles like the Republic Assault Ship, Gunship, or Slave I.

I guess my question is, and pardon me for asking it because I am sure it has been asked a thousand times but I've never run across it in a thread, WHY is it getting so difficult to find the new items?

I want to say it's Hasblow's crappy distribution, which has always been an issue, but like I said, I used to be able to find the figures and vehicles and playsets I wanted, distribution notwithstanding.

Therefore, the only other thing I can come up with is - EBay. It has to be the scalper's fault, right? They come in, buy all the new stuff as soon as it hits the shelves, which is why all I can find is the Republic Gunship Pilot wave warming pegs all over the greater Boston area...

Is this an East Coast thing? Are we just ridiculously behind in terms of getting fresh figures?

It's really getting to the point where I am considering giving up on my collection and resigning myself to picking up what random things I run across.

Can anyone offer a ray of hope?

- Scack

pegger
05-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Last new wave out in Canada was the Endor Han wave.........
:mad: :mad: :mad:

JangoFart
05-09-2003, 02:04 PM
I think the days of the scalpers hitting the retail stores at all hours of the day are either gone, or going fast. The problem is with the retailers themselves - they are simply not ordering enough product to satisfy the demand. They got burned on EP1 figures and were told via a memo that Big George learned his lesson, EP2 was going to be a hit with the adults, and the toys would fly off the shelves.

As they look at those same toys on the same shelves 1 year later, they are in no big hurry to order more figures so the same nobodys can line up to buy them that are buying their current pegwarmers. There's the occasional case or two that gets put out and snarfed up by the lucky few who happen to be in the right place at the right time. However, since there is no constant influx of shipments to intercept, the role of the classic scalper seems to be more and more minimized.

Most of the larger eBay sellers are not Joe Blows who happen upon a few Carkoon Fetts - they are sellers who get their shipments directly from Hasbro. I think Hasbro must be more lax on who they ship to nowadays. I would think they would have to; with only so many orders coming from the retail chains.

Open your eyes, folks. I think we're witnessing a major change in the distribution of Star Wars figures/vehicles. In the future, you can look back and say you were there :)

J

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2003, 02:05 PM
If you've been on the forums for a while (either at SSG or another collector's site) you've probably seen many other posts like yours that have commented on the same thing. At times I feel the exact same as what you've described: can't find Deluxe Cloney, can't find Ephant Mon, can't find (insert almost anything here).

All I can say that may be some comfort is try to change your attitude. Hasbro and SW retailers certainly won't be improving their distribution system any time soon so you'll have to change your outlook. Either have the attitude of "if I can't find it in the stores but I really want it get it online" or "if it's not on the peg, I'll do without or just wait."

It's frustrating, I know. I had to have the wait-and-see outlook since the last wave that came out around last December until just this week when my wife scored and found a ton of new stuff at WM for me. I didn't get all the figures I wanted even then, but if I could at least find some then there's a glimmer of hope that the others will show up soon.

Just remember that it's a hobby. If it starts becoming frustrating or not fun, maybe you need a break for a while and focus on something else.

Good luck.

JangoFart
05-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Well said, MC.

J

Lman316
05-09-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm having the same problems. Sure, I find a few bits and pieces from a wave here and there, but it's usually way after the initial release date. I'm pretty sure it took about 6 months for a Deluxe Clone to show up, but by that time I passed on it...

Today I managed to come across the new Hoth Han, Chewie and Carkoon Fett. And I only walked away with the Han. My problem nowadays isn't so much the distribution (or lack there of) but quality. I'm tired of getting these sub-standard toys when there are so many other toy lines (and companies) out there doing it right, or at least trying a little bit harder. I'm tired of the action poses, I'm tired of the action gimmicks. They're just not like they used to be and I don't find myself terribly excited to find new stuff like I used to be. I honestly believe that my days of collecting any Star Wars toys are coming to an end. I'm going to buy a few more pieces to fill out the displays I'll eventually put up and then that's it...

Sorry, Hasbro, I'm just about done...

End...

aceguide
05-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Such despair!

I too have had difficulty finding anyting new. OK - let's face it - I have not seen anything new at retail (my best Target in the area had 5 Padme Arena's 3 deluxe Hoth - YIKES!!!). I even open - so bend the card - I DON'T CARE!!!! (sorry to those MOMC of you...)

That does help though. Recently I found a bunch of newer releases online that were not mint - and therefore cheap. I've almost gotten to the point where I will wait for a sale - any sale - to get the figures at markdown vs. paying full price. A new game - and easier on the wallet.

Still, I'm dying for the Hoth Han - and will search relentlessly again in a vain hope that a new case has been put on the pegs somewhere....

Oh well.

Prince Xizor
05-09-2003, 06:11 PM
I can tell you that it isn't an East Cost thing, I have found the new toys here and I live in New England.

As for giving up on Star Wars, about 5 months ago I was going to. It was a combo of lack of finding anything and lack of quality. I was blown away at the stuff Toy Biz was putting out and didn't even really look at the Star Wars section. Not until the newest waves I found at a Walmart did my interest start kicking again. And after seeing the Clone Wars line, I am totally into Star Wars again.

Kidhuman
05-09-2003, 08:29 PM
I don't want to stop collecting, but...

then don't.

We all have our frustrations over the new stuff not showing up. Me I am kinda lucky since I haven't seen much stuff but have been unemployed for the last year anyway. It kinda balanced itself out. Now that the new stuff is on its way and I have started a new job, I will be really into it again. Especially since my new job is next to a TRU, a different Wal-mart and a Target. Just take a few weeks off and relax. New stuff is on the way.

Darth Jax
05-09-2003, 08:43 PM
patience, patience, patience. the 3 guide words any collector must live by. i had not seen a new fig since the turn of the year. and yet within the last week i've nearly caught back up. i have seen ephant a couple of times. for awhile deluxe clones were warming the pegs. i'm even starting to see the gunship return to the shelves.

if you're getting frustrated going from store to store, then don't. take some time off, remember why you collect star wars (or any toy) in the first place. also remember that if you think it's the fault of eBay that you can't find anything, purchasing items from eBay simply furthers the disease.

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-09-2003, 09:16 PM
I found the good in this.

Not finding anything drives me to keep looking because of the surprise and haapieness when I find something! :)

Darth Sidious
05-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Just read my sig man, read my sig... :(

JangoFart
05-10-2003, 12:11 AM
All I'm saying is that someone might need a nap.

J

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-10-2003, 01:28 AM
Ah, yes, the age old debate of distribution of product. I was working for Pepsi last winter at my usual super wal-mart store and after my shift, the night crew was stocking and i found a few boxes of new SW figures, asked the gentleman if he would be so kind to open a box or two for me and he said no problem.

First box, same crap, second box, new stuff, picked up the only two Ephant mon's i have ever seen that night back in November. 1 for me, one for my pal dave in columbus, who didn't even realize the Ephant Mon figure was shipping. I haven't seen many new figures since him; the occasional Padme, Dooku and a Yoda, but other than that, nothing.

I gave up on hunting for SW a while back and went with online stores (KEBco). now that i'm at school and even when i'm on break, I don't need to worry about driving over creation looking for figures when i know they won't be there. When i do hunt, it's for LOTR and random stuff, which i know gets better distribution than SW. It's just one of those things you have to deal with being a collector: distribution. :D

Brainiak76
05-10-2003, 02:51 AM
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

i havent seen nething new in retail since b4 christmas! I had to get my newer figs from ebay and from friends from out of state!! Its very very frustrating and i hardly go on the hunt for sw figs nemore either because right now its a waste of time and gas!! I dunno things might pick up soon (HOPEFULLY) and with all this news bout stores pulling old stock and putting new stock in a couple weeks..MAYBE we (people who havent seen anything new in ages) will be able to catch up!! just gotta be patient and have faith! One of these days will all be able to walk to the fig aisle and pick up some 03 figs!:D :D

Jaff
05-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Hey Scackmgack you definately don't need to change an "attitude" about your collecting because everyone except foaming 5 stores a day collectors can relate to what your going through. The problem with the distribution has been suggested to be retailers, and those who state that are half right. The problem is the Saga line itself. This is to date (next to the Shadow of the Empire figs from 1996) the slowest moving SW product to date. The product is not moving so Wal-Mart/Toys R Us warehouses are not ordering. Most big scalpers on the internet get cases of figures rather than toy hunting with the exception of lowlife comic book shops. However the positive thing in all this is Toys R Us just sent back several cases back to Hasbro to rectify their stock rotation problem. Hasbro is getting thousands of units returned. So when they donate this "garbage" to foreign countries they can claim a tax write off. So right now everyone including hasbro is washing their hands of all the backstock. In less than a month you will start finding stuff quickly because only new minimal case orders will be made now.

MaxRebo34
05-10-2003, 02:03 PM
I would have to say that the hardest thing for me as a collector is I have never kept up with waves and what not. I first started back in '96 when I was still in high school. As most teenagers I was never blessed with a lot of money and it was hard to keep up, that and the fact that my brother was 4 years younger than me and had gotten a lot of figures and opened them and played with them. But even now getting back into it, the hardest thing as a collector is coming up with money to purchase things. With college loans, rent, car insurance, etc. But thankfully this time of the year is always a good time to catch up if you have a tax return coming :) So always keep hope and may the force be with you....

Turbowars
05-10-2003, 04:42 PM
I suggest stop crying (like I was) and buy a case from Entertainment Earth or Kebco. Each figure will come to $6 or under and you dont have to worry anymore. Besides it's cheaper than running around town looking. As for having extra figures, I used them for trading. Retail can KMA!

droidekas2
05-10-2003, 10:31 PM
It seems like every year the distribution problem gets worse. I have given up looking for SW figures in brick + mortar stores and get all of mine online (Kebeco). It never makes sense to me that a manufacture has a built in dedicated fanbase/customer and they can never get the product to them/us.

I have money to spend on my action figure collecting/addiction and just focus that money else where. Right now I am working on my Fewture Devilman collection.

If Hasblow doenst want my money I know other places to spend it.

Jayspawn
05-11-2003, 02:28 AM
All the stores in my area are completely stocked with pegwarmers. And by that I mean figures that came out close to a year ago which everybody has already. My Toys'R'Us is another sad story. They literally have NOTHING on the pegs and it has been this way for months. They have plenty of Anniversary packs and 12" figures but nothing else. The last new figure they had was Lott Dodd- and that was very brief.

Shopping these days has become depressing. I've had to resort to shopping online-where I CAN find new things.

Another option I've considered is cuting down my Hasbro Star Wars $ and moving on over to Master Replicas or Gentle Giant. I know they will come through for me.

jjreason
05-11-2003, 03:12 AM
It's kind of sad, but I too have given up hope on ever "finding" anything new again. Getting them from online sources is a lot more sterile, nearly effortless. Figures may cost a little more, but definitely not as much as gas would cost going from store to store striking out.

It's so weird to read these posts, and see those special few people who seem to find everything at retail. Man, that's a great feeling - one I can scarcely remember. I think those folks are blessed with good managers at their stores, guys who have an understanding of how figures work. Guys who don't blow the budget on the first case assortments shopped around knowing full well they'll be full of peggers after the first 6 months. The key Im sure is ordering in moderate, if not small amounts. That way your customers feel some sense of urgency (how many times have you walked away from a figure you wanted when they only had one or two left, as opposed to an entire wall full?).

Personally, the thrill of finding new stuff is what this hobby is all about. Hasbro (and particulary you, Hasbro Canada) should be ashamed this thread even has to be written.

Reagan Davis
05-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Things down south are not that bad......stay away from big cities.......try country Wal-Marts.....if you are not in collecting for the long haul, you are not just in it!

nyborg13
05-13-2003, 03:33 AM
I know what you mean havn't seen hardly any new figures. We have seen most of the new action fleet though and there just setting on the shelves. What gets me is that my son was won of the state winners for the Hasbro collecting contest he got the first case of figures back in Jan. and hasnt received any since Now this is Hasbros fault, the other is up to the retailers wich I had thought about becoming but there is a $5000 minnium order. Thank you
Never Enuff Toys

mark2d2
05-13-2003, 04:49 AM
I finally broke down and paid way too much (double retail) for a new Tusken Raider fig. And you know what? I feel just great!

Granted, it was a figure I've wanted for ages, and it's a very well done toy. But I am just too stoked to have something new Star Wars that I can't be bothered with worrying about the wasted cash.

Whatever. Sand People rule.

Scackmgack
05-13-2003, 09:47 AM
First off, thanks for all those who commisserated with me. It is nice to know that I am not the only one.

It's difficult even for me to take complaints like these seriously, even when they are MY complaints because, let's face it, we're complaining about not being able to buy TOYS. Kind of a powerful statement on how messed-up our ethics are in this country. I mean, there are people starving on 2/3 of the planet and I'm *****ing because I can't get a, as my wife puts it, a "piece of plastic?"

Then again, on the other hand, at least I'm not spending the money on booze or drugs or gambling or prostitues or something...

ANYWAY, I was also confused about the comment regarding changing my "attitude." My "attitude" is that I want to add the new items which I know exist into my collection! That has nothing to do with "attitude," that has to do with the baseline mindset of any collector. As soon as you stop thinking that way, you cease being a collector and become an archivist, imho.

I've purchased figures online from non-auction sites only from one store, Yestertoys, and that was after Ep. I came out and got me back into SW collecting, and I had passed on the entire POTJ line when they first came out in lieu of Mobile Suit Gundam models and figs. Yestertoys had almost all of the POTJ figures I couldn't find after scouring all the stores around here for lingering POTJ stuff, and as that was the only place I could get them, I felt I could justify the extra cost.

When it comes to figures, vehicles, playsets, whatever, that I know are on the shelves SOMEWHERE in this country and will eventually show up here in New England, I can rarely if ever bring myself to buy them online because I know I am getting raped. Well, okay, these online brokers need to make a profit so the prices are neccessarily raised, but still, why should I be paying them the extra dollar or two for each figure, plus paying for shipping, when common sense tells me to be patient and wait for the figures to show up?

I guess that's my issue - the patience doesn't seem to be paying off. My local Wal-Mart and Target have virtually NO SW figures on the pegs - so where the heck are the new cases? Where're the new products? Are they not planning on carrying SW toys anymore? I don't believe that to be the case, so what's the holdup?

I guess the subject line I started this thread with was kind of misleading - I feel like I already have stopped collecting. I haven't been on a toy-search run in a month or two. I just can't justify the time spent anymore, not when time is at such a premium as it is becoming as I get older. I do pop into TRU when I have to get a prescription at the CVS next door, and when the wife makes an errand run to Wal-Mart or Target I usually go along, not only to share her company but to stroll down the toy aisle and see if, by some miracle of God there is something worthy of my attention on the shelves.

Eh, maybe I have changed my attitude towards collecting after all, without really noticing it until now - I don't give quite the damn I used to about it. But it's not because I don't enjoy it anymore, it's because I got fed up, I guess. Or maybe I'm sliding into the ranks of the archivists.
:D

Brainiak76
05-13-2003, 06:00 PM
Then again, on the other hand, at least I'm not spending the money on booze or drugs or gambling or prostitues or something...

lols!! I think i should sell my collection and take up the above!! Man have i been wasting my money on "plastic"..haha J/K:D :D

i can see the public service announcements now...

"Toys keeps grown men off drugs, booze, gambling, and hookers"

Lyet
05-14-2003, 07:26 AM
If the definition of "stop collecting" is not buying SW toys, then I guess Hasbro has forced me to stop collecting. I have not purchased anything new (or old) since December. Other than looking when I go to Walmart and K-mart for something else, I have completely given up checking. I also flat-out refuse to buy off the internet. I just can't pay a scalpers price for a toy.

The money I would of spent on SW is now being spent on Masters of the Universe and Lord of the Rings Figures. At this point, I'm not sure I would even buy the new SW figures if I were to come across them.

Turbowars
05-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Right now you can get figures for under 6 bucks from Entertainment Earth or Kebco. I hardy call that a scalpers price, being that it all equals out with gas prices and all.

aikman8_1999
05-15-2003, 12:22 PM
You pay only $6 a figure?
I would do that in a second.
But the reality is that you need to pay shipping(which kills most online deals IMHO), and or typically need to buy a case (doubles of figures)

If you can get one of every figure sent to my door for $6 each I would do it ...add in the shipping and its more like $9 a fig.

Turbowars
05-15-2003, 07:46 PM
OK here's the deal, Entertainment Earth is selling full cases of figures for 64.99. I live about 4 miles from them, so I don't pay shipping, but I do pay tax. The total for each figure comes to $5.86. Now if you don't live close as I do, you pay shipping, but no tax, that's if you don't live in CA. The Full case works great, I traded all the extra to fill in gaps in my collection.