PDA

View Full Version : Best 3 1/2 card line so far?

Reagan Davis
05-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Which is your favorite Star Wars 3 1/2 figure line so far?

I like the POTJ, which is yours?

sith_killer_99
05-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Without a doubt Power of the Jedi!

Honorable mention going to the Power of the Force CommTech line, sadly, a short lived line with some of the best figures ever.

Reagan Davis
05-11-2003, 01:14 PM
I agree SK99.

Turbowars
05-11-2003, 01:50 PM
For me, it's the POTF2 GC and FF's. I know that the figures were as accurate as the POTJ line, but the cards sure were cooler.

Reagan Davis
05-11-2003, 08:43 PM
POTF2 & FF were great, but POTJ had a greater depth & Saga is getting better all the time.....thanks tubowars

sith_killer_99
05-11-2003, 11:27 PM
SAGA or, as I like to call it "Hasbro's Blue Period" is my least favorite line of all time, it will probably be the only line I never complete.:Pirate:

BTW, the Freeze Frame line is one of my favorites, POTJ just eeked out the line IMO based upon a number of factors, not the least of which is POTJ's long list of well done ESB figures and Imperial bad guys.

Besides, as much as I like the Coll. 3 FF, they were rather difficult to find, for a reasonable price. (I'm still missing a US carded Weequay):cry:

Reagan Davis
05-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Come on sk99 saga blue is not that bad & I am sure that you will buy all of them..........I got a Euro FF Weequay and all Coll. 3 FF at retail. Looking for Elphant man just like everyboby else.

Kidhuman
05-12-2003, 06:26 PM
POTJ hands down.

JediTricks
05-12-2003, 10:41 PM
POTJ, it had the best ratio of good-to-bad figures and an increased sculpting and design quality.

sith_killer_99
05-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Come on sk99 saga blue is not that bad & I am sure that you will buy all of them..........

This is just my opinion, but, yes, it is that bad. I am not the only collector who gave up being a completist with the SAGA line, some are right here on SSG.

I will not buy them all, in fact some of them are so bad that I didn't even buy them with the 2 for $5.00 sale. Primal Mace and Spear Chuckin' Obi-Wan were more than enough to make me drop my completist ways.

I got a Euro FF Weequay and all Coll. 3 FF at retail. Looking for Elphant man just like everyboby else.

Everyone has different collecting experiences. But the fact is many people have found Ephant Mon, some have found 2-3 at a time, I have yet to run into anyone who found 2-3 FF Sandtroopers, Garindans, Boba Fetts, TIE Pilots, Weequays, etc. The Coll. 3 US carded Freeze Frame figures contain the hardest to find and most expensive (secondary market) "carded" figures of the modern lines. I think that is a fact, that few collectors would argue.

Reagan Davis
05-13-2003, 07:03 PM
sk99 I respect your opinion, but it is not all about just collecting perfect figs, for me its the hunt and having a nice collection. I like to compare different era's of figures Vintage to FF, POTF2, POTJ, & Saga, good or bad. I think the best rule is to buy what you like. Thanks for responding.

Turbowars
05-13-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99

I have yet to run into anyone who found 2-3 FF Sandtroopers, Garindans, Boba Fetts, TIE Pilots, Weequays, etc. The Coll. 3 US carded Freeze Frame figures contain the hardest to find and most expensive (secondary market) "carded" figures of the modern lines. I think that is a fact, that few collectors would argue. Well you just ran into one Killer. Back in the day before I was online and had no clue what was coming out, I scored the FF coll #3 wave. There weren't just 2 or 3 of these hot babies, but Target must have put out 4-6 cases. I grabbed 2 of each, Sadly there were not Weequays. That was a differnt assortment. If I would have known I would have bought as many Sandtroopers I could. The doubles from that find helped me buy my US FF Weequay for 300 bucks, more it might have been more, I can't recall.

JediTricks
05-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
This is just my opinion, but, yes, it is that bad. I am not the only collector who gave up being a completist with the SAGA line, some are right here on SSG.

I will not buy them all, in fact some of them are so bad that I didn't even buy them with the 2 for $5.00 sale. Primal Mace and Spear Chuckin' Obi-Wan were more than enough to make me drop my completist ways. Some are in the post directly above yours even. ;) I didn't even bother getting 2/3rds of the figs released on Midnight Madness 2 and that's been the ratio for me ever since - I truly don't like the Saga line, not even at the 2 for $5 sale.

TheDarthVader
05-17-2003, 12:30 AM
I agree with Jedi Tricks with the exception of Ephant Mon, Aalaya Secura and Barriss Offee. The other figures are lackluster (for a better word). The best line was, without a doubt, power of the jedi. When you speak of figures, that is. When you talk about figure, card, and special "extra"...then it is, without a doubt, power of the force 2 freeze frame figures. Just my opinion. ;)

JediBoulton
05-18-2003, 03:13 AM
I had to think about this tread before I answered -- but here is my 2 cents worth -- lets take a look at what HASBRO has done for us..

First off -- when they were Kenner -- they quit making Star Wars figures all together -- bad move!!

Several years later -- we get the ORANGE Figures -- this was great to actually "see" some SW figures again -- but all of them had started taking hormone pills and were all beefed up -- not great -- but it would do for a while!!

Not long after, we got the GREEN Cards. This is the line where we started to see some improvements -- the figures were not as beefed up and this is the first line where we got our "NEVER BEFORE RELEASED" Grand Moff Tarkin. Hasbro started listening to the collectors at this point!!

For the sake of true SW -- I am not going to mention the SOTE figures for now...

We then started getting the FREEZE FRAME figures -- these figures were GREAT -- but as mentioned -- were all a little hard to come buy -- especially tword the end of the line (might add this also the line that has maintained its value throught all of the figures that are currently out NOW)

I believe we now came to the COMMCHIPS -- These are IMO some of the best figures we got -- we got a great looking Leia, Vader, R2-D2, Han solo -- and we got two figures never released -- Adm Motti and Wurer -- This is when the line was at its best -- I believe we had Hasbro's ear all during this phase!!

Then we got the flashback series -- they were of also!

Episode I came along next and still had a great product -- great accessories and lifelike figures -- AND neutral poses -- by the end of this Era of cards -- we started loosing Hasbro all together!!

SAGA cards came out and Hasbro went Gimmic Crazy!! -- We started getting figures with stupid expressions, weird stances, body parts falling off all the time, and not to mention long buttons comming out of their butts!!?? -- Whats going on here ???

Maybe now, the gimmics have stopped a little -- but we had them and we will remember them!

I believe that the COMMCHIPS still represent the best in what Collectors want in figures!!

Turbowars
05-18-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by JediBoulton
I had to think about this tread before I answered -- but here is my 2 cents worth -- lets take a look at what HASBRO has done for us..

First off -- when they were Kenner -- they quit making Star Wars figures all together -- bad move!!

Several years later -- we get the ORANGE Figures -- this was great to actually "see" some SW figures again -- but all of them had started taking hormone pills and were all beefed up -- not great -- but it would do for a while!!

Not long after, we got the GREEN Cards. This is the line where we started to see some improvements -- the figures were not as beefed up and this is the first line where we got our "NEVER BEFORE RELEASED" Grand Moff Tarkin. Hasbro started listening to the collectors at this point!!

For the sake of true SW -- I am not going to mention the SOTE figures for now...

We then started getting the FREEZE FRAME figures -- these figures were GREAT -- but as mentioned -- were all a little hard to come buy -- especially tword the end of the line (might add this also the line that has maintained its value throught all of the figures that are currently out NOW)

I believe we now came to the COMMCHIPS -- These are IMO some of the best figures we got -- we got a great looking Leia, Vader, R2-D2, Han solo -- and we got two figures never released -- Adm Motti and Wurer -- This is when the line was at its best -- I believe we had Hasbro's ear all during this phase!!

Then we got the flashback series -- they were of also!

Episode I came along next and still had a great product -- great accessories and lifelike figures -- AND neutral poses -- by the end of this Era of cards -- we started loosing Hasbro all together!!
-----------------------------------Then another great line came out called the Power of the Jedi. If cleaned up the mess that EP1 left.----------------------------------------------------
SAGA cards came out and Hasbro went Gimmic Crazy!! -- We started getting figures with stupid expressions, weird stances, body parts falling off all the time, and not to mention long buttons comming out of their butts!!?? -- Whats going on here ???

Maybe now, the gimmics have stopped a little -- but we had them and we will remember them!

I believe that the COMMCHIPS still represent the best in what Collectors want in figures!! Somewhere in your agreeable assessment the POTJ line got lost. I just thought I'd throw it in for you. Oh and wasn't Kenner still making the Green Cards?:D

JediBoulton
05-19-2003, 09:58 AM
Sorry Turbowars, I did forget to mention the POTJ line -- it was late when I put that together.

The POTJ line was great also -- It started to give us figures from ALL different movies -- figures that we missed and also figures that we were not very happy with the first time around.

Case in point -- Hasbro does listen to the collectors on a certain level -- we just need to continue to make them aware of our concerns and allow them to make adjustments along the way.

On the green card issue -- I assumed that if Hasbro started the orange cards -- then they also did the green cards.

If this info is incorrect -- I am sorry -- i need to pay attention more -- Thanks Turbowars :crazed:

Turbowars
05-19-2003, 07:30 PM
Kenner made the OC and I just looked to confirm, they also did the GC and FF

keith koth
05-20-2003, 01:38 PM
For me, as a carded collector, the best 3 3/4" card was the POTF Freeze Frame cards...the best diversity of figures and sculpts was undoubtedly POTJ. If they would just combine the two...:D

dirtydroid
05-20-2003, 06:25 PM
I enjoyed the mix of POTJ, but Call it old fashioned, nothing beats the Original 12 (1977) release card backs! Saga is Just missing something! Maybe the bubble is too big and the figures are more like figurines. I'll stick with the traditional Bubbles!

JediTricks
05-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by JediBoulton
They were never Kenner. Kenner used to be its own company, and after SW became a huge line for them they were bought by Tonka in the early '80s. After the ROTJ line turned into the POTF line, Tonka/Kenner tried to expand it with an EU-based line but retailers didn't buy and the line stopped. In the early '90s, Hasbro bought Tonka and with it, Kenner.

...we got the GREEN Cards. This is the line where we started to see some improvements -- the figures were not as beefed up and this is the first line where we got our "NEVER BEFORE RELEASED" Grand Moff Tarkin. Hasbro started listening to the collectors at this point!!
Actually, up until '98, Hasbro let their Kenner division manage the Star Wars 4" line, and Hasbro took care of distribution and manufacturing.

Old Fossil
05-20-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks

Actually, up until '98, Hasbro let their Kenner division manage the Star Wars 4" line, and Hasbro took care of distribution and manufacturing.

Maybe Hasbro should consider resurrecting their Kenner division. I don't recall ever having a problem finding new figures in the years 1996-98. Those were good years for SW figure collecting! There was plenty of new product, plenty of old, too, if you missed something the first time round, and the toys were generally high quality (there are exceptions to that, I know).

JediTricks
05-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Yeah, it would have been nice if Hasbro had continued to let Galoob division and Kenner division exist and design/manage the line (Galoob designed half the POTJ figures), but unfortunately Hasbro's financial problems in 2000 - from buying up too many other companies too fast IIRC - caused them to close down both divisions and move some people from there to Rhode Island HQ.

Reagan Davis
05-22-2003, 08:06 AM
I like the saga line, but I think collectors wish it was more diverse like the POTJ line. Not so many Jango's & Ben's.

About distribution, if you look long enough you usually find what you are looking for, and if you don't its not to bad if you have to buy it on the secondary market, they have to make a living too you know.

JediTricks
05-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Reagan Davis
I like the saga line, but I think collectors wish it was more diverse like the POTJ line. Not so many Jango's & Ben's.

About distribution, if you look long enough you usually find what you are looking for, and if you don't its not to bad if you have to buy it on the secondary market, they have to make a living too you know. As a collector, I have many reasons I don't like Saga but that's not one of 'em.

I've been looking for 6 months solid for 2003 SW figs and have come up totally empty. I refuse to go aftermarket for 'em, they're not worth that to me. Also, while people have to make a living, I don't think that gives them carte blanche to do whatever they want to achieve it outside the realms of reasonable society - a cat burglar doesn't use "I gotta make a living" as a defense in court. I don't mind those who buy direct from Hasbro or from a distributor like Diamond, but my area is swarming with scalpers so if I support them for buying figures off my local retailers' shelves, I'm really just rewarding them for making it more difficult for me to find what I was looking for in the first place. It's illegal for them to do this, but law enforcement doesn't really care because it's such a small scale.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-23-2003, 11:21 AM
I really didn't like the POTJ line except toward the end when we finally got some great articulated figures and stuff that we just flat out had never had before. Eeth Koth, Snaggletooth/Zutton, FX-7, Imperial Officer, and that cantina pilot figure (can't remember his name right now). The genesis of the line was total crap, though. Mechanakin, R2, Daffy Duck Darth Maul, Magic Shell OB1, and Salt Shaker Coruscant Guard are several of the craptacular offerings that made me wonder why in the @%#$% Hasbro cancelled the CT line.

I like the saga line because of all the gimicky action effects yet I don't like the cheap materials used. The weapons and accessories are flimsy and so are many of the figures. I do like that Hasbro has decided to number the figures. It's a nice way to keep track of what they are releasing.

My favorite line(s) is/are the CT ones. Gripe if you want about Episode 1 the movie, but the figures were great. I thought the Jedi cloaks were a nice touch, we got totally new figures--not rereleases from previous movies--and some good variations of different characters, i.e., Padme/Amidala, Anakin, Darth Maul. Yes, we did get too many wacky resculpts like the billion OB1s and Qui-Gons, but plastic for plastic most things were original. The plus for me were the CT chips. I thought they were great except for the ad nauseum lightsaber/blaster effects that inevitably showed up on every other chip.

The CT POTF2 line was even better because they were themed. We got a specific screen shot of each character that could be posed exactly as they were portrayed. Cantina Han was the first real holster figure we ever got, R2/holo leia (for those who could find him) was a great sculpted figure IMO, the Jawa came with a full sized animated Gonk droid, we got a kick-A articulated Stormie (again, for those who could find one), and a totally new figure in Admiral Motti (again, for those who could find one). Dejarik Chewie was supposed to be part of that line but sadly we never got a CT chip of him.

I truly wish Hasbro would have kept up with that motif of producing figures from various parts of ANH and then continue with the other two OT flicks.

JediTricks
05-24-2003, 03:44 AM
MC, that's a really funny "genesis" you present there, fairly accurate too. Most of the first POTJ figs were simply figs from the Ep 1 and POTF2 lines that had just been scrapped, some had mocked-up packaging, some even had commchips! Galoob division wasn't a part of that.

Oh, and BoShek is the cantina pilot.

sith_killer_99
05-24-2003, 04:44 AM
The genesis of the line was total crap, though. Mechanakin, R2, Daffy Duck Darth Maul, Magic Shell OB1, and Salt Shaker Coruscant Guard are several of the craptacular offerings that made me wonder why in the @%#$% Hasbro cancelled the CT line.

MC, that's a really funny "genesis" you present there, fairly accurate too. Most of the first POTJ figs were simply figs from the Ep 1 and POTF2 lines that had just been scrapped, some had mocked-up packaging, some even had commchips! Galoob division wasn't a part of that.

Hehehe, yep, every figure he named there were originally part of the CommTech line.:D

Hasbro cancelled the CommTech's apparently because of costs. That is why the first few waves of POTJ were less than stellar, not because of anything inherantly wrong with the line itself.

Don't get me wrong, I liked many of the figures from the EP1 and POTF CT lines, Cantina Han, R2 with holo Leia, Stormtrooper, etc. I just feel that overall, POTJ was a better, more well rounded line with superior figures.

On a side not Shmi Skywalker and Lott Dodd were also schedueled for the CT line. These figures were both LONG overdue when they hit stores!

BTW, here's one:

sith_killer_99
05-24-2003, 04:45 AM
here's Obi-Wan:

sith_killer_99
05-24-2003, 04:47 AM
here's the Coruscant Guard:

sith_killer_99
05-24-2003, 04:48 AM
and here's the CommTech chip for Shmi, which I didn't even know had been produced, though she was in development long before the end of the EP1 line.

Old Fossil
05-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Didn't they also originally plan a CT chip for the Tusken Raider: Desert Sniper?

JediTricks
05-27-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
Didn't they also originally plan a CT chip for the Tusken Raider: Desert Sniper? I think they did, I think someone even put up a soundfile of what it played, it sounded like a donkey recorded through a speak-n-spell.

Turbowars
05-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks

it sounded like a donkey recorded through a speak-n-spell. Oh my God, I remember way back when, I mom came home with a Speak-n-Spell and she told me it was a fun game. Good try mom. LOL "Spell Cat" Kat "You are wrong, try again,Spell Cat. LOL I hated that thing. I think they were like 80 bucks back then, what a waste. She should have bought me some SW figures, because that thing didn't do me any good. :p

TheDarthVader
05-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the pics, sith killer. Those figures are cool! I wish they could have made them instead of the POTJ figures (for the ep1 figures, that is). The package looks nice and would match our other ep1 figures (mostly). Anyways, thanks for the pics.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-29-2003, 01:45 AM
I remember seeing the OB1 package a loooong time ago when SSG announced the new and improved CT chips. I thought they would be so cool because each figure would look like they were surfing on that new oval chip.

I can hear the expanded Darth Maul dialogue now...

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last I will hang ten."

The Coruscant Guard CT would have been interesting. What would they say?

"Halt or I'll bury you in pepper."
"These uniforms suck. I'd rather be wearing red with a helmet with a tinted visor."
"How much longer do I have to stand at attention?"
"My helmet also doubles as a toilet scrubber."