PDA

View Full Version : The beard is back !

2-1B
05-12-2003, 12:33 PM
I saw Ewan McGregor on the Tonight Show last Friday to promote Down With Love, and he had a rather full beard coming in ! :)
His hair is getting longer as well.

I'm willing to bet it's in preparation for Episode III filming due to commence in a few months. :happy:

Anakin2121
05-12-2003, 01:54 PM
This is great news -- but really, why wouldn't he have a beard? It was exciting to hear he'd have one in Episode 2, and we all know he has one in Episode 4. Why would he NOT have a beard in this movie?

Unless you count that he's probably a "general" in the Clone Wars, and in the military you have to shave. :D

icatch9
05-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Jedi wouldn't have to shave anyway. What military offical is going to have th balls to tell one of the most powerful Jedi's he has to shave?

Clearly it is not a requirement to have a beard (ie Mace), but it's Obi Wans choice and I think it'll stick. Besides he looks so much older with a beard. I mean Ewean McGreager is a very young looking actor, and without that beard he'd look the same age as Anakin.

TheDarthVader
05-12-2003, 07:32 PM
That is cool. Thanks for posting that news. I was sure that he'd have one again in Ep III but thanks for the observation.

2-1B
05-13-2003, 03:14 AM
I never doubted that the character would have a beard, I was just so excited to see Ewan looking like that because it reminded me how close they are to filming the next movie --- and that means spoilers are on the way ! ! ! :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

:happy:

Now let's just hope George gets all the shots he wants with Ewan during principal photography . . . it bothers me to see the fake beard during AOTC pickup shots. :(

I am Jabba the Hutt
05-13-2003, 08:31 PM
In which shots does the fake beard appear? Qui-Gon Jinn's moustache was also a fake one, I am pretty sure. :)

Jargo
05-14-2003, 08:35 AM
I always thought that Sam jackson looked better for AOTC with his sideburns. I don't know if you saw the publicity shots done with him and Ewan but he had these really cool sideys and looked a lot older than he did in TPM. I thought that considering AOTC was ten years after TPM that Sam would have the sideys in the final movie but not to be it seems. Hopefully they'll do something with this movie, make him seem a little older.
Hopefully also Anakin will have lost his rats tail.
BTW, Ewan quite often wears a beard anyway. That's his look, sort of grungey looking. This latest movie he's in that has a sort of fifties chick flick feel to it I nearly didn't recognise him because he's so scrubbed up and squeaky clean.

Darkross
05-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Anakin2121
This is great news -- but really, why wouldn't he have a beard? It was exciting to hear he'd have one in Episode 2, and we all know he has one in Episode 4. Why would he NOT have a beard in this movie?

Unless you count that he's probably a "general" in the Clone Wars, and in the military you have to shave. :D

I always thought that the rank of "General" referred to Obi-Wan's Jedi rank of "Jedi General" as in Military Jedi rather than just a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master....maybe I'm way off base ???

scruffziller
05-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Now they just gotta CGI-away that mole in the middle of his forehead, or at least CGI-a-glue it on Alec Guiness' forehead.

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I always thought that Sam jackson looked better for AOTC with his sideburns.

Yea that would have been cool if he had the dude from Pulp Fiction hair thing going on, KILLER!!!!:D

2-1B
05-18-2003, 01:38 AM
Jargo, I COMPLETELY agree with you about Sam's sideburns, I was disappointed that they didn't make it into the movie !

This is just a wild guess, but maybe they decided to keep him clean shaven to tie back to TPM a bit more? I mean, Obi is covered in longer hair and a beard, Anakin has been recast with an older actor, Yoda is CG and different from TPM, Palpatine is visibly older . . . maybe Mace was kept exactly the same for a little more visual continuity ? I don't even know if "visual continuity" is a legitimate phrase, I just made it up. :D

Who knows . . .

Originally posted by I am Jabba the Hutt
In which shots does the fake beard appear?

Well, the opening elevator sequence is a fake beard, I know that because
a) it looks that way :D
b) that scene was added late in the game, so it was filmed during a reshoot. Ewan had shaved his beard and head to do Black Hawk Down so they had to use wigs for the pick up shots.

The elevator scene doesn't even bother me, there's only one fake beard shot which I DON'T LIKE. :mad:
That would be the scene outside the nightclub when Obi chastizes Ani for losing his lightsaber and rushing off.
Take a look, it's soooooo fake compared to his real beard. What makes it stand out to me is the knowledge of the original take of that scene. Look at the trailer on the DVD when he yells at Anakin, "you haven't learned anything." That scene was shot during principal photography, his beard looked great. George must have rewritten the scene because it plays differently than the shot in the trailer. :) The beard just looks horrible in the final film shot.

There are some other shots here and there, I noticed it in the arena battle today as well.

Honestly though, it's just the nightclub exterior shot which bugs me. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-18-2003, 12:27 PM
It's also fake when he, Mace and Yoda are talking about Anakin in the halls. This was a late addition, it replaced Mace and Obi talking on the Jedi Starfighter platform. :)
Now, where was Qui-Gon's fake?

TheDarthVader
05-19-2003, 01:42 PM
I agree with the ones that believe Mace should look older in Ep3. Surely there is something they could do (sideburns, hair maybe?) to make him look older!

steeltormentor69
06-23-2003, 03:33 AM
GL needs to make Episode 3 into 3 parts, that way he can get a complete story made. I feel that Ep3 will be so fast paced and things won't get thoroughly explained if it a basic 2 hr and 10 min movie. Episode 3 part 1, 2 and 3. Make it a 6 hour long movie. That would rule!!!

plo koon 200
06-24-2003, 12:39 AM
I think that is nuts. EII is four hours uncut. MAybe EIII uncut, but considering the other films aren't three parts then there isn't any reason to make EIII 3 parts. All six films would have to be 3 parts and that would be nuts.

2-1B
06-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Having thought about it some more, I liked that they kept Mace Windu looking the same...Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda all underwent massive appearance changes during the trilogy so it's kind of cool to me that Mace looks untouched.