PDA

View Full Version : Search for Klingon Interpreter Called Off

2-1B
05-13-2003, 04:37 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AP - Feature Stories
Tue May 13,12:26 AM ET

PORTLAND, Ore. - Sorry, potential Klingon interpreters.

Officials have said they won't be needing your services, after all.

The office that treats mental health patients in Multnomah County had included Klingon on a list of 55 languages that could be spoken by incoming patients.

But the inclusion of the Star Trek language drew a spate of tongue-in-cheek headlines.

And now the county has rescinded its call, stressing that it hasn't spent a penny of public money on Klingon interpretation.

"It was a mistake, and a result of an overzealous attempt to ensure that our safety net systems can respond to all customers and clients," Multnomah County chair Diane Linn said in a news release.

County officials had previously said that no patient had ever come in speaking only Klingon, but that the county would pay a Klingon interpreter in the unlikely case one was actually needed.

In recent years, Klingon has gone from being a fictional tongue for the Star Trek television and movie series to a complete language, with its own grammar, syntax and vocabulary.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Exhaust Port
05-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Next we'll hear on the topic is that it's being offered as a language in High School. Nerds Unite!

InsaneJediGirl
05-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Next we'll hear on the topic is that it's being offered as a language in High School. Nerds Unite!

WooHoo!I failed Spanish,but I'm pretty sure as a geek I can master Klinglon:D

JEDIpartner
05-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Ooooh... I can speak Bocce! It's like a second language to me! I'm fluent in ove....

Thanks Ben Burtt!

Notice how they are more likely to pick on Star TREK people these days? It kinda makes me feel good about my particular brand of super-geekness!! :crazed:

Jargo
05-13-2003, 02:43 PM
Wait until they start getting inmates talking Elvish and Dwarven tongues. They'll be buggared then.

Darth Sidious
05-13-2003, 07:59 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking Jargo! "Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!" (Black Speech of Mordor, means "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!") :D

JediTricks
05-14-2003, 05:53 PM
If you couldn't master Spanish, I can't imagine you'll be able to grasp Klingon. As a Trekkie, I've never really felt compelled to speak the langauge, but I suppose learning it is no more geeky than spending $500 on a lightsaber prop or $125 on an FAO Imperial Shuttle that Hasbro could have easily charged half as much for. :D

mabudonicus
05-15-2003, 01:05 PM
ACHHGHHHH- chot!!!! KKKKlagrack!!!
(That's Klingon for "I've wasted my life")

Capitan_Moroni
05-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Is there a word in Klingon for loneliness? ~pulls out english to klingon translation book~ ahh, here it is, "Ballruuk!"

On another note, I can read/write in the Mode of Erebor!