PDA

View Full Version : I am one of those 20,000 Canadians!

The Overlord Returns
05-13-2003, 01:03 PM
You will notice on the main page a news article about 20, 000 canadians who put down "Jedi" as their religion of choice on their 2001 census forms....

I am proud to be one of those to flout the governments most blatant way to keep tabs on us ;)

2-1B
05-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Well, as long as you aren't serious about it . . . :crazed:

El Chuxter
05-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Why exactly is it that the Canadian, British, and (I think) Australian censuses request that info? And can you just write "None of yours"?

The Overlord Returns
05-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Why exactly is it that the Canadian, British, and (I think) Australian censuses request that info? And can you just right "None of yours"?

While I have no actual idea as to why....I might hazard a guess that it has to do with our status as a mosaic society, rather than a melting pot. Need to know how many of what we have, in order to flaunt how diverse we are ;)

JEDIpartner
05-13-2003, 03:07 PM
Don't get me started on the U.S. Government... :frus: ;)

icatch9
05-13-2003, 03:14 PM
You know that's pretty cool. I remember a while back when New Zealand tried to get it so it's would be the national religion. Their govenrment put the kibosh on that becasue it is illegal to give any false information on the form. I'm sure it's that way in Canada but seems that 20,000 people said "Up yours, ya hoser. Eh."

Jargo
05-13-2003, 03:40 PM
I believe I just left the space blank on my UK census form. Anything I don't want them to know I don't tell them.

odb
05-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Why exactly is it that the Canadian, British, and (I think) Australian censuses request that info? And can you just write "None of yours"?

I think its a legal requirement here in the UK at least. If you don't fill out the form in full with the required detail you can end up in jail:confused: and few 'nutters' have ended up in jail over it.

They do try to justify it by saying it helps them decide how they want to spend the taxes they collect, but I would of thought it fairly obivious where to spend it:rolleyes:

keith koth
05-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Man, I can't stand those nosey government agencies! :Pirate:

I sure am glad that I live in the good ole USA. Last time the census guy came to my door, I told him to get the hell off my property and if he or any other representative of the US government came to my door again, they would be met half-way with a gun carefully aimed at the center of their forehead.:evil:

I know, I know, that was a bit harsh...but no one ever came back. :D

icatch9
05-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by keith koth
Man, I can't stand those nosey government agencies! :Pirate:

I sure am glad that I live in the good ole USA. Last time the census guy came to my door, I told him to get the hell off my property and if he or any other representative of the US government came to my door again, they would be met half-way with a gun carefully aimed at the center of their forehead.:evil:

I know, I know, that was a bit harsh...but no one ever came back. :D

A bit harsh? How about illegaly harsh. That guy was just trying to do his job. Not as if he's some covert operative trying to spy on you. Census forms are important becasue it tell them how much funding is needed for emergency services such as fire departments and EMT's. If you don't let youself be counted than it's like you don't live there. If everyone who lived in your area did that, then the government would see no need to even have a fire department there or other things. It's true talk to your local mayors office. It's important, and by no means is it neccisary to threaten to kill a man for asking how many people reside in your house. Cool out.

seth_quinn
05-13-2003, 04:39 PM
hmm, I don't even remember that question on the census. I wonder what I put down? probably f u and none of your business.

LTBasker
05-13-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
You will notice on the main page a news article about 20, 000 canadians who put down "Jedi" as their religion of choice on their 2001 census forms....

You canucks are a little odd, eh?

blame canada..blame canada.. ;)

The Overlord Returns
05-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
You canucks are a little odd, eh?

blame canada..blame canada.. ;)

Oh there was never any doubt of that ;)

keith koth
05-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
A bit harsh? How about illegaly harsh.

Well, without going into the whole story, the guy was unnecessarily rude to me and my wife...and threatened to have me arrested :confused: because I refused to answer the questions. :crazed:

That guy was just trying to do his job.

An unnecessary job if you ask me...Social Security records should be sufficient or perhaps Department of Motor Vehicle Records or perhaps school enrollment records...the census takers job is redundant and wastes tax payers money.

Not as if he's some covert operative trying to spy on you.

That is what they want you to believe :eek: ...just kidding.:D

Census forms are important becasue it tell them how much funding is needed for emergency services such as fire departments and EMT's. If you don't let youself be counted than it's like you don't live there. If everyone who lived in your area did that, then the government would see no need to even have a fire department there or other things. It's true talk to your local mayors office.

True, but aside from a few programs such as the fire department, EMTs, etc. most government programs are a waste of tax money. I wouldn't object so much if I got to choose (perhaps on my income tax return forms) which "tax payer funded" programs my money went towards.

by no means is it neccisary to threaten to kill a man for asking how many people reside in your house. Cool out.

I didn't threaten to kill anyone...that would be stupid. I merely told him that a return visit would be met with a gun...I didn't say that I would use the gun. I know the law very well, and know how to make idle threats and still remain within limits of the law. On your property, you can meet anyone you want to with a gun (except a police officer with a search warrant)...you just can't shoot them unless defending yourself.

Looking back, I know I was wrong for telling the census guy off like that...but if you come to my house you had better have some manners.

I promise I won't do it again. :cry: