PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Republic Commando!!!!!

mrmiller
05-14-2003, 08:29 AM
From Gamespy at E3:

Star Wars: Republic Commando

LucasArts is working on a Star Wars game in which players join the evil Republic and are part of the elite Republic Special Operations unit. Tentatively dubbed Star Wars: Republic Commando, the title ships for the PC and Xbox sometime in 2004. An enhanced version of the Unreal engine will power this first-person shooter.

Check out the video from Gamespy Fileplanet!

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/123719.shtml

Cool- I can't get enough. I wonder if this is taking the place of the Dark Forces series, or is just another FPS in the Star Wars Universe. Looks like Xbox and PC only for now. Too many cool games comming out- what will I do?!

=MATT=

LTBasker
05-14-2003, 12:54 PM
I hope it's not replacing Dark Forces, that would really suck. I was excited by the idea of the game when I first heard of it, but after seeing the trailer I wasn't very excited anymore. It looked boring, just more Clone Trooper variants and boring Geonosians. 1. Clone Trooper variants are getting boring from the Clone Wars stuff and 2. If Geonosians are their worst threat they need to rethink the game.

I was actually hoping it'd be more of a Coruscant Special Forces in a game like Half-Life's Counter Strike. If they do it right then it might be good, but I get the feeling they'll be concentrating too much on graphics and not enough on gameplay such as how they've done with Jedi Oucast.

"Millions of credits worth of firepower and I'd give it all back for a lousy can of RAID!"

mrmiller
05-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Actually it looks cool to me, especially after reading the press release. It says it's a "Darker" FPS in the Star Wars universe. The look of the trailer gives it a feel more like Doom or something. Also, the new Dark Forces, Jedi Acadmy, is still comming.

The press release and trailer for Commando is here:

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/74.html

=MATT=

Phantom-like Menace
11-24-2003, 09:22 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game. The Clone Wars cartoons have me itching to take control of a special operations clone trooper, and it would be awesome if it has a good multiplayer like Halo. Given a nice multiplayer, my friends and I could go crazy playing this game. My only problem, assuming Star Craft: Ghost is awesome, is how to play Halo 2, Republic Commando, and Ghost with what little time I have.

Anakin2121
11-24-2003, 10:39 PM
You can't have a solid game on multiplayer alone, though. Battlefield 1942, for instance, is pretty dull and shallow for me.

I'd rather have a game with a solid single player game and no multiplayer at all (like Max Payne) any day....

Phantom-like Menace
11-24-2003, 10:56 PM
You can't have a solid game on multiplayer alone, though. Battlefield 1942, for instance, is pretty dull and shallow for me.

I'd rather have a game with a solid single player game and no multiplayer at all (like Max Payne) any day....
Sure, but if I play multiplayer, I can say I'm just a social gamer and not a gameaholic.

CooLJoE
11-25-2003, 11:23 AM

Thats all a matter of opinion. Fact is, Battlefield 1942 is becoming one of the better multiplayer games out there. I would say best, but its hard to top Counter-Strike with as many lamers out there as there are. But the multiplayer aspect of BF1942 is what sells the game and it continues to sell really well. So that right there proves that you CAN have a solid game because of the multiplayer part. Heck, Counter-Strike has its own version and it sells really well. Quake3 did REALLY well back in its time and its based on multiplayer.

Basically, you may not like MP games, but that doesn't mean they won't sell. Just means YOU won't buy them.

I do understand the need for a good single player game though. Doom3 and Halflife2 will bring that to us next spring. And my guess is that Republic Commando will do the same.

Phantom-like Menace
11-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Thinking about it, I like the single play, because of the story elements, but it doesn't have the repeatability of horribly killing my friends and being killed by my friends in multiplayer.

Short term: I'm a big fan of single player. Long term: it's going to be the multiplayer.