PDA

View Full Version : The Lecter Variation: The Story Of Young Hannibal Lecter

James Boba Fettfield
05-14-2003, 09:56 AM
The grandfather of international sales Dino De Laurentiis arrives in Cannes next Tuesday (May 19) with seven major territories to sell on his $150m Alexander The Great epic as well as a brand new Hannibal Lecter project currently being plotted by Lecter's creator Thomas Harris.

The Lecter Variation, which is being subtitled The Story Of Young Hannibal Lecter, follows the serial killer from his childhood in Lithuania through a period in Paris in his teens to his arrival in the US. De Laurentiis said that four actors will be required to play young Lecter at the ages of 12, 16, 20 and 25.

"Lecter was born into a very rich family but the war destroyed his family and killed his parents," explained De Laurentiis from Los Angeles this week. "He was left with his sister with whom he had a very close relationship."

Universal, which handled international on Hannibal and the world on Red Dragon for De Laurentiis, will again distribute The Lecter Variation, although De Laurentiis is planning to sell major territories here.

Harris has written the story for the producer and is likely to write the screenplay himself as well as a book. The title refers to Bach's Goldberg Variations which have been a recurring musical reference in the Lecter saga to date.

Source Here (http://www.screendaily.com/story.asp?storyid=12304)

Excellent news! I am excited to read that Harris is going to be in charge of the writing, and even if the studio screws up his draft and screenplay, at least there will still be the Harris authored book! My day has been made.

scruffziller
05-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Yea that would be an extremely interesting flick, really get into the mind of this madman.

Pendo
05-14-2003, 12:34 PM
This movie could be great, I'm looking forward to it :).

PENDO!

icatch9
05-14-2003, 01:50 PM
I think it would be very cool if the movie ended right at the point were Will (Ed Norton) is knocking on the door at Lecters home. You know, so Red Dragan would begin right were this one leves off. Kind of like they did at the end of Red Dragan. That would rock, and would be a cool camio by Ed Norton.

Pendo
05-14-2003, 02:35 PM
I agree, good idea icatch9 :). And they could get Anthony Hopkins to play the part of the older Hannibal if they do that :).

PENDO!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-16-2003, 11:15 AM
I think Matt Damon would be an excellent young Hannibal. Did anyone see his parody of Lecter in college on SNL? Funny stuff. :D

SQueek
05-17-2003, 11:42 PM
"Matt Damon is Hannibal Lector"....really just doesn't have that ring to it though.

RooJay
05-22-2003, 05:20 PM
Hmm...very interesting indeed...

Eternal Padawan
05-22-2003, 05:26 PM
On the Red Dragon DVD, there's a "FBI case file" that explains about how his aristocratic parents were killed during the invasion of Lithuania during WWII and that his sister was cannibalized that winter by deserters or something. Leading him to...medical school? I dunno, there's a huge gap between 1944 and 1970...

Eternal Padawan
05-22-2003, 05:27 PM
Dino DeLaurentis missed out on Silence of the Lambs and to make up for it, he's going to subject the rest of the world to Hannibal Lecter movies for the rest of our lives...

Beast
05-22-2003, 05:38 PM
That doesn't sound so bad, EP. I've liked all three of the previous movies so far. Though the change to the end of Hannibal was a bit annoying. Funny that the case file on the Red Dragon DVD seems to follow the events of the novel of Hannibal especially the ending where Starling and Lecter run off together. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
05-22-2003, 05:58 PM
I liked the part right before Hannibal and Clarice disappear from everyone's sight. You know if you read it, where Clarice like seduces Hannibal, but in a weird way.....And what about his six fingers he had in Dragon and Lambs, freaky. I just wish they would of followed Hannibal a little closer to its original source, because they left out a lot of good details, and damn Will should have had his faced messed up!

Laurentis, you better stay a bit more on track with Harris next novel, or else I'll cry like a small child.

Tycho
11-27-2006, 04:34 AM
So whatever happened to this Young Hannibal prequel?

Darth Jax
11-27-2006, 07:13 AM
they had the teaser posters up for it when i went and saw james bond. release date is sometime next year (i can't remember what the date was)

Rocketboy
11-27-2006, 09:22 AM
http://www.impawards.com/2007/hannibal_rising.html

Tycho
11-27-2006, 01:58 PM
I think I read it here that when he was young, Hannibal witnessed the worst winter of WWII. His wealthy parents were killed and either German or Russian troops killed his sister - and ate her to survive with no other food.

He supposedly witnessed this or was forced to eat her as well, should he have also been a prisoner too.

It made him insane.

Other rich kids that lose their parents just become Batman or Green Arrow. But Hannibal had to have a different spin on things.

If Bruce had been a vampire bat....

2-1B
11-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Awesome, it sounds like X-Men meets Alive.

Rocketboy
02-09-2007, 10:13 PM
First of all, I'd like to suggest the title of this thread be changed.

Second, I saw the movie tonight. Good stuff. Had a very different feel to it than the others (from what I remember anyway - it's been a while since I've seen 'em).
Although it was odd to feel sympathy for a psychopath.
But, I get the feeling that this could be the start of a "Hannibal" prequel trilogy, which may not be so bad if the others are good as this one.

Tycho
02-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I get the feeling that this could be the start of a "Hannibal" prequel trilogy

Here we go with more trilogies:

1) The Phantom Metabolism
2) Attack of the Calories
3) Revenge of the Sauce
4) A New Heart
5) The Enemma Strikes Back
6) Return to the Jugular

2-1B
02-10-2007, 12:02 PM
What about the Ewok movies ?

Tycho
02-10-2007, 12:28 PM
What about the Ewok movies ?

Carne of Corpulence

and

The Bottle of Entrails

Slicker
04-01-2007, 04:27 AM
This movie was kinda meh to me. The only really good part was the beginning during WWII. The Stuka scenes were pretty sweet.

It just didn't have the same feel of a Hannibal movie. It could've been a movie about any person and not just him.

RooJay
04-01-2007, 12:43 PM
I've heard the book was pretty disappointing too. It's really a shame because it seemed like there was so much potential in a Lecter prequel, and he's always been such a great character to begin with! I suppose they've officially killed the franchise now; guess it's for the best.:dis:

How cool would it have been if they'd had Hopkins as the older Lecter narrating the story of his early life dripping with tragedy, real horror, and real pathos to some self-important, hot-shot reporter only to end up killing the guy at the end. Sort of a serial killer Interview With The Vampire.

Tycho
03-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Well I finally saw this and loved the movie. (I've watched it twice now.)

The Hannibal story is compelling and I hope there will be more prequel movies.

I'd like to see why he continues to hunt after he killed everyone who had to to with the death of his little sister.

I'd also like to see how he got captured.

Rocketboy
03-15-2009, 07:21 AM
The Hannibal story is compelling and I hope there will be more prequel moviesAfter the low gross for Hannibal Rising, I doubt it.

I'd also like to see how he got captured.Wasn't that covered in Red Dragon?

Darth Jax
03-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Wasn't that covered in Red Dragon?

i still don't think i've seen Hannibal Rising, but i've read the book a couple of times.

Red Dragon does indeed detail his capture by FBI agent ed norton.

Still no one of the movies are as good as Lecter's initial portrayal by Sir Anthony in SotL

darthbooger
03-15-2009, 11:19 AM
The young actor in Rising just didnt have that sense of predator/humor that Hopkins can portray so well in the Hannibal role. And not to pick it apart but thats why I'm a movie geek-the young actors eyes are brown,and Hopkins are a almost evil blue, which added intensity to the part.

darthbooger
03-15-2009, 11:22 AM
My gawd I sound like a tee sippin fary in that last post ayuhk!

darthbooger
03-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Tycho,he continues to hunt cause uh he is a serial killer. oh boy.:tired:

Tycho
03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
When he kills the serial, does he go for the Cheerios or the Wheaties first?

Then I suppose he eats them - with milk? ;)

I know: C-E-R-E-A-L - but when were talking about a killer who eats his victims, the dumb jokes just kind of flow.

Darth Jax
03-15-2009, 03:15 PM
toucan son of sam is a true cereal killer

darthbooger
03-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I just watched Star Wait for the first time and I think it was ten times better than Hannibal Rising. God thats sad.:sad:

darthbooger
03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I wonder if anybody in Star Wait visits this site.