PDA

View Full Version : The fan club has gone way down hill

keith koth
05-14-2003, 02:45 PM
What is up with the fan club?

They rarely have any new products for sale and have not sold a "new release" figure in nearly a year.

With distribution being as slow/nonexistant as it has been since November 2002, it would seem to me that if the fan club actually cared about keeping it's members, then they would push Hasbro really hard to ship case assortments to the official fan club "warehouse" so that they could pass those figures on to us. What the heck is their problem? What is Hasbro's problem? Where are all of the new figures? :frus:

Jayspawn
05-14-2003, 03:24 PM
I've been wondering about that. I know the Fan Club has been traded around to several companies, so I know that can really slow things down. I hope it lands somewhere though.

JangoFart
05-14-2003, 03:45 PM
From what I recall, there's a problem with who currently holds the rights to the "Jawa Trader" aspect of the Fan Club - Paiz or Wizards. I say: "Who the hell cares?" Unless there's some clause in the contract which gave Wizards EXCLUSIVE right to sell toys as an official Lucasfilm representative (which there may well have been), there's no excuse for SOMEONE not taking over that helm and selling toys online.

Even if there were such a clause, rest assured that if it were important to Paiz to please their members, they would negotiate with Wizards to allow Paiz to sell the items, but give Wizards a cut of the cash. The failure to do just that leads me to believe that it's not a major issue for Paiz - a conclusion that has kept me from re-newing my membership for some time now.

J

keith koth
05-14-2003, 04:00 PM
I recently renewed my membership to this crumby fan club only because I want to have a chance to get a couple of those Mexico Convention metalized Boba Fetts...Same reason I joined last year...you had to have the crumby membership to get the TF Vader...Oh well, at least I get the SW Insider magazine as a consolation prize...Of course I could just pick up the SW Insider from most book stores.

Dr Zoltar
05-14-2003, 04:35 PM
I believe the Fan Club is in the transitionary phase of trying to get everything worked out after separating from Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast. The new ownership of the club has only been in charge for about half a year now. It may take some time, but the pres. of Pazio is a Star Wars collector and has been in talks with LucasArts. I've even emailed her a few times and she's been very nice and quick with her responses.

Just give them some time to clean up all the trash that came with the purchase of the club from Wizards. Heck, the membership cost is still less than paying cover price for a years worth of Star Wars Insiders. Plus I got a free Tie Fighter Lego with my renewal.

JangoFart
05-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Perhaps....

However, if the owner of the rights, Lucasfilm, had not let the property get so abusively run into the ground, there wouldn't be such a mess to clean up.

J

Turbowars
05-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by keith koth
I recently renewed my membership to this crumby fan club only because I want to have a chance to get a couple of those Mexico Convention metalized Boba Fetts...Same reason I joined last year...you had to have the crumby membership to get the TF Vader.
Just to let you know, you didn't have to be a member to get the Toy fair Vader and I don't think you have to be a member to get the new Fett. The membership is pretty much useless just as their insider mag is. Online stores are more of a fan club than The Big Bad Official Fan Club.

TheDarthVader
05-14-2003, 08:04 PM
I agree. They don't even show their merchandise in SW insider anymore...well not in the latest issue. The fan club is going down hill right now. Perhaps it will get better.

dr_evazan22
05-14-2003, 09:24 PM
The FC is going downhill b/c they don't sell overpriced fig's any more? C'mon now...

If you want, or are willing, to pay what the FC charges for fig's there are plenty of other e-tailers out there who can fulfill your needs, probably for less. Not to mention that most of what they were doing was shilling WOTC product.

I agree that it sucked really bad in the first transition to WOTC, and while WOTC retained it, but the mag has been getting better and better since.

JediTricks
05-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
I believe the Fan Club is in the transitionary phase of trying to get everything worked out after separating from Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast. The new ownership of the club has only been in charge for about half a year now. It may take some time, but the pres. of Pazio is a Star Wars collector and has been in talks with LucasArts. Paizo doesn't own the Fan Club, they're just the company managing and publishing it for WOTC (now a subsidiary of Hasbro). Paizo's chief officers are both former bigwigs from WOTC - Lisa Stevens and Johnny Wilson. In fact, the press release about the SWFC changeover from 7/2/2002 (that's nearly a year ago) includes this:

Paizo Publishing, LLC, soon to be headquartered in Bellevue, WA, will be comprised of industry publishing veterans and will employ the current members of the Wizards of the Coast Publishing Group, including editor-in-chief Dave Gross and art director Scott Ricker.

Johnny Wilson, President of Paizo Publishing, LLC, is the former Group Publisher for Periodicals at Wizards of the Coast.

Lisa Stevens, CEO of Paizo Publishing, LLC, will become the new president of the Star Wars Fan Club. Stevens, a well-known Star Wars collector and enthusiast, is a game industry pioneer who helped start Wizards of the Coast with Peter Adkison. Her career at Wizards ranged from Sales, Marketing, and Production to Vice President of Event Marketing and included a stint as Brand Manager for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game.

bobafrett
05-14-2003, 11:25 PM
I still haven't received my fan club kit yet. I plan on calling them soon to see what the hold up is.

keith koth
05-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by turbowars
Just to let you know, you didn't have to be a member to get the Toy fair Vader and I don't think you have to be a member to get the new Fett. The membership is pretty much useless just as their insider mag is. Online stores are more of a fan club than The Big Bad Official Fan Club.

No, you didn't HAVE to get a membership, but those who did have a membership got first crack at the figures (24 hours advance or something) I tried to get one the first time the fan club got them in stock and they sold out before the "general" public got a chance to order them...so, the second time they got them in stock (again offered to members first) I decided to join the fan club so I could get one before they sold out again!

I managed to get two :D

keith koth
05-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by JangoFart
Perhaps....

However, if the owner of the rights, Lucasfilm, had not let the property get so abusively run into the ground, there wouldn't be such a mess to clean up.

J

Out of curiousity, what mess is there to clean up? Why not just start over fresh? How hard would that be?

Sean the Hutt
05-15-2003, 03:46 AM
after years of being loyal, I let my membership slide this year....wizards just wants to cross promotionalize there crap, it is true, the fanclub bites!

JEDIpartner
05-15-2003, 03:01 PM
I don't really have a problem with them. I didn't buy my figures through them so I have no gripe about that. I suppose if it came down to "we want cool fan club only" figures... then, I suppose they are doing a terrible job.

Still... I like the magazine enough to keep my membership renewed. That's just me, I guess.

El Chuxter
05-15-2003, 03:11 PM
I didn't realize Paizo didn't own the FC, or that the honchos were formerly from WOTC. What I have noticed is that the magazine has gotten a million times better in the past few months. Though it focuses a little too much on the Galaxies game for my taste, it's nice to actually have well-written articles about a variety of subjects rather than a full magazine about the trading card games. The original fiction is awesome, the Holonet News is as much fun as it was online, and I would've gladly paid cover price for the Genndy Tartakovsky interview in the latest issue if I wasn't already getting it in the mail. (It's a far cry from the poorly researched articles of the past, like "We don't know who played the bartender [and haven't got enough sense to try to find out].")

keith koth
05-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Still... I like the magazine enough to keep my membership renewed. That's just me, I guess.

If the only thing they are good for is the SW Insider magazine, then can you realy consider them to be a fan club?

I subscribe to GQ magazine...I would never say that I was a member of the GQ fan club! :D

The SW fan club seems like nothing more than just another magazine subscription to me. ;)

JangoFart
05-16-2003, 10:00 AM
You preach it, Koth!

J

Deoxyribonucleic
05-16-2003, 01:55 PM
I think I posted about the "fan club" somewhere else, but I'll put it here anyway. . .

I really miss it from when the folks in Colorado had it, although they were understaffed, they always were pleasant to deal with, the magazine was great and they had so much great stuff to offer in the Jawa trader!

I miss them and I despised WOTC, they were the WORST!!! Crappy from the get go. Paizo on the other hand, I will wait a bit before I pass judgement LOL but I'm still partial to the Colorado Folks so far. They really need to offer more items and at discounts for members to be considered a fan club I think. I agree with KK that it's really just a glorified magazine subscription at the moment. My subscription ran out about half way through WOTC and I DID NOT renew it. I'm waiting to see if I should renew it again as I get the mags at work for a discount. So far, because they don't offer anything but the magazine, I will not renew it.

Just my 2 cents.

bobafrett
05-16-2003, 02:42 PM
I had e-mailed Mary Franklin and sent her some pictures of myself with old issues of Bantha Tracks. She took the time to e-mail me back and asked if I could submit some pictures because the ones I had sent were to dark to publish. I still look forward to every issue of the Insider, but mostly the ones with "Bantha Tracks" attached.

Still haven't got my fan club kit.

JEDIpartner
05-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Sure... I still consider it a fan club as they still offer things that are club exclusives (the prints and forthcoming convention figures). I guess I am just a little past all of the "Tiger Beat" expectations of a fan club...

Deoxyribonucleic
05-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I guess I am just a little past all of the "Tiger Beat" expectations of a fan club...

Ooooooh, that was hilarious!!! I almost sprayed coke a cola all over my computer screen after I read that!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

hehehehhhee, ahhhhhhhhh still laughing. . .

bobafrett
05-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Just to update you, I sent an e-mail to Paizo publishing, about my not getting my membership kit, and got an e-mail back from Mary Franklin and she sent me a fan club kit. I got a really cool Bantha Tracks patch with the kit. now I'm happy.

The old fan club from around 1980 was really good. I entered a creativity contest, and won a Ben Kenobi mug, and that was the tenth place prize!

stillakid
05-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Though I don't have much interest in all the topics in The Insider, I have been impressed with the format and the way it covers all the various incarnations of fandom. From the movies themselves,, to video games, the comics, novels, toys, and games, there really appears to be something there for everyone instead of just focusing on one or two aspects.

As a kid I devoured every word of Bantha Tracks, but alas, age has honed my interests, but I can appreciate how a kid might enjoy the newest incarnation of the magazine.

I do wish they had more contests, offered more exclusives, and were better about offering Fan Club branded merchandise. And while it is a fan club, I wish they would spend some more time representing the (apparently) majority view that the Prequels haven't met expectations. I feel like I'm at a meeting of the Young Republicans and hearing it's take on the Bush administration, where everything is just peachy keen.

There is more to being a true "fan" than making excuses for everything that is crapped out of the franchise. The fanbase for the saga has grown up and the fanclub should grow up with it.