PDA

View Full Version : You've got a problem Hasbro...

Jayspawn
05-14-2003, 04:49 PM
You've got a BIG problem. NONE of your new Star Wars figures are in stores OR online. This is very frusterating. I'm sure your're making them, I've seen pictures, WHERE ARE THEY? ALL of my stores have had the SAME figures for at least 8-9-10 months now. NOTHING new has come out. So whats up? How are we supposed to get them? Do you want us to keep buying from you? It doesn't seem so.

See here's the thing....

I've been collecting your figures since 1995 when Star Wars came back with POTF2 (this is just me personally speaking). I have nearly all of the figures and vehicles. I've spent a lot of time and money happily collecting. And I would like to continue doing so...

However, it is now near impossible to keep this up. Your toys are not making it to the people who are willing to buy them. It has reached a point where my interests are moving elsewhere. And I'm more than sure it is the same with others. Other companies can guarantee figures for great quality and cost, and we can DEPEND on them to deliver. And I CAN guarantee stores WILL stock their figures. See, Mattel, Playmates, Art Asylum, Sideshow, Mezco, ToyBiz don't have the problem YOU HAVE. They have new figures coming out and us consumers CAN find them and WILL buy them. As far as Star Wars goes, I can depend on Gentle Giant and Master Replicas (to name a few) to come through for me. They will, and they will deliver a good product.

So this it is Hasbro, you better start getting things together. FAST. Because it's like this, OTHER companies will get YOUR money.

Anyone else...?

DarthBrandon
05-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Can't agree more. The stores in Saint John havenít had anything new since the Palpatine wave and many stores either have no figures or large amounts of peg warmers. I havenít seen anything new or anything for that matter at Wal-Mart here in months for S.W. figures/etc. Toys us has peg warmers from POTJ and the Saga Endor wave. Zellers, a spot where I could find almost anything S.W. now has nothing at all. So what I'm asking is what's up Hasbro? Who are you making these figures for? What country? Clearly not Canada or the U.S. as they are scarce as hell and you have to resort to places like E-bay and Brian's Toys. If it weren't for the kind individuals here on SSG I would have found a new hobby all together. LOTR figures, MOTU figures, Marvel, and various other companies who produce figures like these have no problem getting the merchandise to the stores and the consumers. So why is it that you at Hasbro have so much difficulty getting them to the customers. I may have the answer to that one, could it be that you ship out way too many of the first and second waves that it takes too long to get them off the pegs? I think so. Could it be that the case assortments are so un-evenly packed that many are left to rot on the pegs while others are so hard to find. Why is that you pack army figures one to a case? I.E. Rebel Trooper/Imperial Officer Why is it that Ephant Mon is so hard to find? Could it be that he was wasn't packed evenly enough to a case. When you found out he was popular, you should have sent four per case, instead you did nothing. Why are core characters warming the pegs. I can tell you this one as well. Nobody ( average person) is going to buy four Han Endors, Luke Bespins, Vader Bespins Etc. Please fix your obvious problem with distribution and case assortments. This is why stores don't stock your product, thus leaving the buyers to purchase other products. If you need help contact me and I will gladly help you out.:D

JediTricks
05-14-2003, 09:57 PM
I've got the same complaint, the LA area has been almost totally dry for 6 months of new SW figures. There have been remote sightings, but they are snatched up almost instantly. I was bearly hanging onto the Saga line when there were new figures to be found, now that there are none I feel nothing for the line at all and am seriously thinking of moving on and giving all my Star Wars collecting dollars to the more-deserving Lego who is consistantly able to get product into stores on time.

Lman316
05-15-2003, 12:15 PM
But should that entirely be blamed on Hasbro? I have always thought that it's the store's fault - they're the ones who order the figures; and if they don't order them, they can't put them out. I used to sell stuff at toy shows and flea markets and stuff, and to me it just seems that if things aren't selling, that you don't buy anymore to stock. So, granted, the new figures will fly off the shelves - we know that, or otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion - the pegwarmers just sit there, and sit there - we know that too. How many times have the stores had to send product back to Hasbro because it's choking the aisles? They just don't want to get stung, and I can't and don't blame them for that.

However, what I do blame Hasbro for is horrible quality. And that, at least to me, explains lackluster sales and decrease of already substandard distribution. If people don't want these over-posed, missile-launching, grimace-faced figures, then obviously, they're not going to sell. Which would then lead the stores to not buy anymore which would lead us to yell about distribution...

So, yes, Hasbro does have a problem. They have a problem holding on to once loyal Star Wars collectors who have just had enough of their crap.

End...

Kidhuman
05-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Well it is a problem in my area too. I live in Va. and have not seen anything new for 4 months. It is getting ridiculous that these new figures out in 2003 I have not even seen on shelves. Maybe Hasbro should recall all 2002 figures so the new ones will make it to the shelves.

DarthBrandon
05-15-2003, 06:23 PM
I can see where your coming from Lman316, but the stores have to buy a certain amount of product from Hasbro to even receive it in the first place and l can say the amount (dollar figure in thousands) is quite high. You can't just select two cases of wave one and two, you have to buy multiple cases and the assortments can be mostly the same until Hasbro starts shipping new wave assortments. This causes stores to be overloaded with the first couple of assortments that clog the pegs and that leaves no room for new ones because the store looks at it's stock and says "hey we can't order anymore we still have tons on the pegs and some out back". This leaves the consumers with no new action figures because the stores will not order merchandise that clogs the pegs. It does not mean that they are not selling well, it just means that when you are overstocked, stores will not order product that is not moving well. This brings us back to Hasbro, they send the assortments (first and second usually) in way too large of quantities leaving hardly any room for new stuff. This also brings us back to case assortments and how uneven they are. Instead of shipping out tons of Taun We's, Nikto, Kit etc they should have shipped out new assortments once they found out what was clogging the pegs. They continued shipping peg warmers in some of the newer assortments and this caused a downward domino effect in the line itself. To top that off they continue to ship assortments un-evenly and this also causes problems in the S.W. line. If they could ship assortments evenly and not demand to buy so much per year as well as keeping the product up to par with what the collectors and kids want then I think it could be good times. I do however think that this line and the others in the future will die out before the contract expires. IMO :D

JediTricks
05-17-2003, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Lman316
But should that entirely be blamed on Hasbro? I have always thought that it's the store's fault - they're the ones who order the figures; and if they don't order them, they can't put them out. I used to sell stuff at toy shows and flea markets and stuff, and to me it just seems that if things aren't selling, that you don't buy anymore to stock. So, granted, the new figures will fly off the shelves - we know that, or otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion - the pegwarmers just sit there, and sit there - we know that too. How many times have the stores had to send product back to Hasbro because it's choking the aisles? They just don't want to get stung, and I can't and don't blame them for that. I can blame Hasbro in part for this though, Hasbro is the one making these horrid case assortments full of - as you called it - "horrible quality" products. If the stores get a case with nonselling products outnumbering the popular products, even if they keep ordering they're gonna fill up on the low-selling low-quality stuff. Bad case assortments have plagued Hasbro's Star Wars line for years now, it just seems to get worse and worse.

Also, I've been told by a few small business owners that have Hasbro accounts that when they've ordered certain cases from Hasbro in the past, occasionally Hasbro would send them other SW product in its place or get them to order a weak case to go with the strong case. I don't know if that's still the case, but if it is then Hasbro would have to answer for that as well.

... or you could just read what Brandon said. :D

stillakid
05-17-2003, 03:52 AM
What was that about Hasbro getting the license extended for upteen years and that we shouldn't worry about not seeing the obscure figures made eventually? Who is it that said that? Hmm, I wonder. :rolleyes: Well, if this 6 month dry spell is any indication of how well distribution goes with one more film on the way, then what can we realistically expect when there are no more films to come? Seriously, this is it. Any "fan favorites" or B characters have to happen between now and a day before Episode III. Episode III merchandise will hog the pegs for a few months with the occasional OT bone thrown in as a snack. In short time, as the pegs start to weigh down, retailers will again stop their orders and another thread like this will begin. Sales will decline and Hasbro will claim that the interest isn't there anymore. The line will die. :cry:

Dr Zoltar
05-17-2003, 01:14 PM
What's also not helping is that small businesses that used to carry figs, aren't anymore because of the case assortments. I used to be able to find newer figs at my local comic stores, but all of them have stopped carrying any Hasbro Star Wars stuff. They still get figs from other lines (DC Direct) where the manufacturer places two complete sets of figures in each shipping box. That way a fan boy can reserve and get the whole wave at once at the store. I wish Hasbro would start doing the same thing with Star Wars figures. I see that they are doing it with one wave this summer -- one of each fig. I hope they start doing that more.

DarthChuckMc
05-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Here's a copy of a letter I just emailed to Hasbro's customer service people..

To whom it may concern,

I have been collecting Star Wars figures since I was 6 years old in 1978. I am constantly impressed with the amount of detail and playability that Hasbro has continued to add to the line since it's revival in 1995.

I only have one problem.

WHERE CAN I BUY THE DARN FIGURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

I have not found ONE new figure at ANY Wal*Mart, Kmart, Target, KayBee, Toys R Us, Gamestop, Electronics Boutique, blah blah blah blah...since October of 2002. EVERY figure I have bought since then, has been from either eBay, which usually costs me 80% more what retail charges, or online e-tailers. The problem with online e-tailers is, a lot of them do not guarentee package condition. I collect 2 or more of every figure. I keep one mint carded for myself, and one to open for my kids, and if I am blown away by the sculpt and detail, or I want some army builders to display, I buy multiples. The one e-tailer that promises "MINT" condition is too expensive for me.
I don't think customers should have to hunt for a toy because they want it. HASBRO said that they would make sure figures were made in good enough supply that EVERY FAN THAT WANTED ONE WOULD GET ONE. I don't think EVERY FAN should have to work so hard to find the toys they are willing to spend their hard earned money to find. I visit several online action figure and STAR WARS fansites, and I see people getting ready to give up collecting STAR WARS because they are SICK of the frustrations of having to drive miles and miles EVERYDAY, only to be disappointed repeatedly because they are finding NOTHING. People that have supported HASBRO for years and years, buying everything you produce (or at least trying to), are jumping ship and dumping their collections because they are feedup with the crap.

Sorry if this letter seems hostile or overly blunt, but this is the reality of the state of STAR WARS toys and collectors. There needs to be change, and it needs to happen FAST, or all the money HASBRO spent to secure the rights until 2017 is going to go to waste, because you will lose one of the largest parts of your consumers if you don't fix the problems I have mentioned.

Thank you.

Chuck McMenamin
Disgruntled Hasbro Star Wars collector

I'll post their reply if I get one.

El Chuxter
05-30-2003, 01:04 PM
I can guarantee you that your reply will be a form letter and nothing more. :(

DarthChuckMc
05-30-2003, 01:48 PM
Response (Bonnie) 05/30/2003 12:51 PM
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your taking the time to share your opinions with us.

Consumer satisfaction is very important to us. We will share your comments with our management team so that they are also aware of your views.

We want to assure you that we are dedicated to maintaining quality products and service. We hope you and your family will continue to enjoy our products for many years to come.

Again, thank you for contacting us, and for your comments.

CloneTrooperMace
05-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Here in the little heck town of Weirsdale,Fl.At are Wal-Fart we don't have any new figures for months.We have the same crapy Padma's and R2-D2 Here.Hasbo Send us some NEW figures.

Dr Zoltar
05-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Go DarthChuckMc! That was an awesome email to send Hasbro!

To bad you got a standard form letter response.

I'm wondering if there should be a movement to flood Hasbro's CS email account with letters like this.

CloneTrooperMace
05-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
I'm wondering if there should be a movement to flood Hasbro's CS email account with letters like this.

Great One :D ,When Should we start?:confused: :crazed:

InsaneJediGirl
06-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Hmm..I never thought of flooding CS with e-mails/letters.Nothing here either..its really discouraging:(Why arent these things getting shipped out enough?Yes,I know stores have to order,but I partially blame Hasbro for not taking better care of their product.

jedi master sal
06-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Who gets the blame?

Certainly Hasbro get the MAJORITY. A little to the retailers, scalpers, on-line stores.

Retailers as mentioned have to buy in a certain condition. One to get lower prices by buying in bulk but also to secure that they will have product that will sell.

Scumbag scalpers who get this stuff, (it doens't matter where they get it just that they do for their greed!) have also made fans turn from collecting.

On-line stores can't compete economically with the big retail stores so they HAVE to charge higher prices just to make a reasonable profit, besides the shipping and handling.

We all know this though, so why does Hasbro refuse to listen to us? And by us, I'm including collectors, kids AND the stores! you can believe that retailers are complaining to that they are forced to buy the same cases. It probably does have to do with over production again. Does Hasbro really think that now especially when there is still another movie coming that there is no interest? That's ludicrious! Interest and demand reached a peak in May of last year and held steady for some time. Forcing the retailers to order more of the same because of a production snafu hurst them as well. IMO, the execs in charge of this line with special regards to distribution and production numbers should be FIRED! They need not look any further than the major collcting sites to see what people want. Between SSG, RebScm, TFN and some others, there is plenty of market research for them to disemminate.

There are plenty of kids on these sites as well so they don't need to get all high and mighty and say that they want to sell to the kids.

You only need to go to this thread:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16868

to hear from a 13 year old.

I've started getting into tiffs with fellow collectors about this and people are starting to accuse each other of hoarding and/or scalping. And these are friends/collectors from years ago.

Hasbro, this is what you are doing to the line:

Making collectors and kids mad and overly stressed out. (To the points as I've previously mentioned)
Jackin' retailers around by unfair buying procedures.
Creating a scalpers haven by making things so scarce.
Retailers no longer wish to stock this line. In part to your practices and the countless times we as a collecting community unintentionally bug them about new stuff. They only blame you.

I don't even point out the major ones like Wal*Mart, Target, Toys R Us, KB's and KMart. But they ALL can't be wrong.

Instead of buying a 15 year contract for the rights to produce toys that you are not, you should have just let some other company have the chance to take over the line. You could have washed your hands of countless collectors complaints (hey! an alliteration) and we fans could have seen what another company can do. Now if that company would drop the ball at least you wouldn't be blamed. That's not what happened. So if you truly want to make people (not just kids) happy then get your collective arses in gear and make the figures we want. In decent production numbers and in GREAT distribution with fantastic assortments! Remember that we collectors were once kids too and the SW toys of the 70's and 80's endeared us to the current line. I very many times act like a kid when I find something new on the shelves.

It's a shame many of us, myself included, have resorted to calling it the "hunt". It should be that hard!

Alright, I'm done venting FOR NOW.

If Hasbro really cares, why don't they pony up to the mic and let us know what's up?

Jaff
06-17-2003, 01:23 PM
I too share the anti-hasbro sentiment posted on this thread. I haven't bought a fig in months, and at one point that would have bothered me but today Star Wars quality and distribution has seriously damaged my zeal for collecting. And even if I wanted to continue collecting "every" piece I wouldn't be able to find it because hasbro has killed the market value of this product because of the horrid mistakes made in the saga line. The only thiing I could suggest to hasbro is use your head: THINK POWER OF THE JEDI LINE.

lordscalper
06-28-2003, 04:48 PM
I suggest you'd try to be more positive about things rather than looking at all of the negatives. Hasbro has done many wonders for the SW line and have proven to be a collector-friendly type of company and you should be happy with their accomplishments.

Jaff
07-04-2003, 01:31 PM
scalper suggesting that i am being negative is fine, but the saga line is a dreadful line that has allready seriously damaged the financial stability of the sw line. Besides if you were around when the slide waves in 98 and the POTJ line you would be rolling your eyes in disbelief to pegs sticking out of backs and hernia poses. I love SW, but Saga line is junk. Nothing negative about that, just the facts. It's a line only diorama builders love, with just a few goodies for overall collectors.

08-02-2003, 10:24 AM
I've been complaining about this for over two years now. I'm glad Sirsteves has finally made it an issue as well, as I don't think my complaints were getting much attention. Unfortunately, Hasbro still won't respond. I've never seen a company show such contempt for its customers. Whoever is in charge will someday be known as the person who killed the most profitable toy line in history. Simply because they wouldn't make product available for sale. And, true to my word, I've gone elsewhere. All the money I used to spend on figures, sets, and vehicles is not reaching Hasbros buttered fingers. I've spent about $10 the last six months on SW - on ebay. (Tell me again that the internet doesn't sell product?) Morons. That's all I can figure -they're a bunch of idiots. What a shame.

Old Fossil
08-05-2003, 12:55 AM
I don't feel quite the angst of some here at not finding new figures on the pegs. Why? Because there are so few new figures that I really feel I can't live without. There may be ONE or TWO figures per assortment that I like, but the majority are so badly sculpted, badly manufactured, or just plain unnecessary that I easily move on to the Health and Beauty dept. and buy some shampoo instead of a Star Wars figure. Who wants to buy a red Battle Droid, if the thing can't stand on its own or will bend and warp due to cheap plastic???

Good Lord! Hasbro, if you feel the need to have 'core' characters on the pegs, for God's sake don't rerelease figures that warmed the pegs for months -- i.e., KE Jango and CT Han and FF Leia. Give us freakin' new sculpts of these characters! What about a neutrally-posed Jango? A new Han in Carbonite? A Medical Frigate Leia? Those, we would buy!!!

Oh, and heres a thought: actually fill your retailers' orders!!! I know for a fact that -- at Wal-Mart, at least -- orders automatically generated by their computerized inventory system took months to fill, if they ever were. You need to stop passing the buck on this and get with the program. Fill your customer orders on a regular basis. It's a good way to keep their trust, and that of the people who can keep both you and the retailers in the black.

I can think of very few collecting communities that have been as consistently passionate about their hobby over the years as that of the Star Wars line. There are tens of thousands of us all over the world. Many of us had Star Wars toys back in the '70's and '80's. The fact is, we are bigger than you are! If we stop buying -- which we are now, en masse , the line dies. There's nothing you could do to stop it. It's our money keeping the Star Wars line going, not your marketing, not your design teams, not your bumbling attempts to excite the collector/customer base.

Indeed, this little hobby of ours is such a huge part of the Star Wars phenomenon, that it is bigger than you and us collectors combined. We both have a role to play in this cultural legacy. The collecting community is doing its part to ensure that the line does not die an ignoble death. Now, Hasbro, get back to work and do yours.

cdatkins
08-28-2003, 11:12 AM
A couple of people in this thread have touched on what I think is the SINGLE BIGGEST PROBLEM facing Hasbro with the Star Wars line:

-The people actually buying the figures.

Since 1995, Star Wars figures have been purchased by two groups of people: kids and collectors. I think Hasbro has VASTLEY OVERESTIMATED the amount of toys that would be purchased by kids and VASTLY UNDERESTIMATED the amount of toys that would be purchased by collectors.

The rehashes of major characters are aimed mainly at one audience: the kids. And yet many of them remain unpurchased. The unique figures: the Ephant Mons and the Wat Tambors, are gobbled up quickly.

This indicates to me that it is the COLLECTORS that are largely supporting this line.

Look also at how poorly Episode I toys sold and how much this was curtailed in the Episode II toys release. Kids like Star Wars, but they also like Harry Potter, Spider-Man, etc. Hasbro can't count on kids to sell this line.

The faster they realize this, the more quickly we can get the toys we want.

This is not to say that the kids aren't imporant; they are. But again, I think Hasbro is VASTLY OVERESTIMATING the support their line gets from the kids. Heck, even kids like secondary characters and different figures too!

darthzirock
09-02-2003, 02:16 AM
Today, Sept. 1, 2003, I went out shopping for Star Wars figures. I live in Gastonia, NC, just about 20 miles from Charlotte, NC, probably the state's largest urban center. I hit up three Targets, three Wal-Marts, two Toys 'R' Us, three Kay-Bees, and and one K-Mart (although I really hadn't expected to find anything at K-Mart, as they haven't gotten anything new in since the 3rd quarter of 2002!).

You know how many new figures I found in all those stores? Do you?

NOT A SINGLE FREAKIN' ONE!!!

Out of twelve stores in three towns (Gastonia, Charlotte, and Pineville) I couldn't find a single new Star Wars action figure if my life had depended on it!

This is just sickening! Utterly sickening!

Hasbro, I've collected SW figures since 1978. I have never, ever, had this difficult a time finding product! Even when the Expanded Universe figures came out back in 1998, I found all but two of those, Kyle Katarn and the Dark Trooper, at retail--and those two I ended up getting from the Star Wars Fan Club.

Hasbro, you've read many, many posts from other Star Wars collectors saying that they have stopped collecting because they have become fed up with not finding anything new at retail. Many of them--myself included--don't want to have to resort to paying greatly inflated prices from online retailers for toys that, at 1/18th scale for roughly $5 per figure, is already an overpriced item. If I melted down most of your figures, each one just might render enough plastic to make a $1.29 ballpoint pen!

Hasbro, you are taking a hobby that has brought me a lot of joy over the past 20+ years and you are sucking all the life out of it. I give you one month--until October 1, 2003--to get new product to my area. Otherwise, you are losing yet another collector that has kept your company afloat. However, I won't just stop buying Star Wars figures from you. I will actively boycott your company and encourage other collectors to do the same.

Now that other companies are doing inexpensive 1/6th and 1/18th scale military figures, why bother with G.I. Joe? Mattel has you beat with dollar value and innovation in both their Master of the Universe and Batman lines. Your Men In Black II line tanked even worse than the film did. What do you have left after Star Wars and G.I. Joe that interests action figure collectors? Not much, Hasbro, not much at all ....

darthzirock
09-03-2003, 03:00 AM
You know, I hate people who make idle threats, and I'm certainly not in the practice of doing it myself. So, on Monday (9/1/2003), when I gave Hasbro the ultimatum that I would stop collecting Star Wars figures and actively boycott the company itself unless I found new figures by Oct. 1st, I was quite serious!

So, when I found six figures I was missing at the Wal-Mart in Shelby, NC, the very next day, imagine my relief ... and my embarrassment! :stupid:

OK, but this still doesn't negate my points about the problem of distribution Hasbro has experienced this year. Sure, I now have my Pitt of Carkoon Boba Fett, Throne Room Duel Vader, Throne Room Duel Luke (with the glove on the correct hand, no less!), Snowtrooper, Mynock Hunt Chewbacca, and Hoth Rescue Han (blue parka) ... but what about the thousands of other collectors throughout North America (and even the rest of the world)? And, of course, once again the only reason I even found these figures still on the pegs was because the blistercards were hideously bent out of shape! The blister was coming away from the card of the Throne Room Duel Vader to the point that I had to double-check that all the accessories were intact (they were, thank the Maker!).

What guarantee do I have that I'll ever see any new figures beyond these, either? Will I never see the "Clone Wars" figures? What about The Emperor, the Cinema 3-packs, the TRU exclusive 4-packs like Ultimate Bounty Hunters? Can I dare even hope to ever get a Durge with his Speeder?

Again ... the nightmare of distributing these figures might not be Hasbro's "fault," per se, but it is certainly a problem they need to acknowledge, examine, and--most importantly--correct!

Boba Fetish
09-08-2003, 03:03 AM
I am with you all on this thread. Recently all the Targets around here have got figures from five months ago but to date here is a list of figures I have never seen on the shelf with the exception of the latest assortment.

SP-4/JN-66
Droid Factory Padme
Ashla/Jempa
Yoda/Chian
Secret Ceremony Padme
Coleman Trebor
Wat Tambor
Deluxe Spider Droid
Deluxe Kamino Obi-Wan
Deluxe Jango Fett

Sucks hardcore for someone who doesn't have the time or ability to be at all the retailer's doors every morning at open. Need to figure this one out fast.