PDA

View Full Version : Who here has Replay TV or TIVO????

scruffziller
05-15-2003, 09:05 AM
The best piece of technology that I have have ever bought, I would be totally lost without it.

Pendo
05-15-2003, 09:41 AM
I was going to get it when it first came out, but never thought it could be as good as they were saying, so never really bothered with it. I'll probably look into it a bit more now :).

PENDO!

QLD
05-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Man, I got a tivo about two years ago. I can hardly watch TV without it now. Without it I would never know the joy of Farscape, and many other television shows that with a VCR, it would just be too problematic to record everything.

Exhaust Port
05-15-2003, 12:31 PM
I too wrote this off as a technology that would quickly join the ranks of Beta players, DCC, 8 Track, DAT and the MiniDisc. More and more people are singing its praises though. Perhaps as Pendo said, it's time to look into this a bit more.

keith koth
05-15-2003, 12:53 PM
I don't have TIVO, but a friend of mine does. The problem is that you become dependent upon it to record all of your favorite shows. You can only record one program at a time...and more often than not my friend will call me and ask me to record something for him because he is already recording something while watching a 3rd program.

However, I will get one some day...as they are great (watching commercials is a thing of the past)! Just dont get involved in too many shows that come on at the same time or you might suddenly find yourself asking others to go out of their way to aid your addiction to recorded television. :D

bobafrett
05-15-2003, 01:59 PM
My boss has it and loves it. I don't watch that much TV, other than Futurama, and Family Guy. There isn't much worth watching nor taking up my hours I could be getting other stuff done.

scruffziller
05-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Yes I do find more and more people are being turned onto it. They do have ones coming out (or already out) that allow you to record 2 or more shows at once. But any way you look at it, even if there are inconveniences with recording and not being able to record another are no different than having just a VCR and being limited that way. The Replay is like a car and the VCR is like a horse and buggy.

Exhaust Port
05-15-2003, 05:24 PM
2 shows at once? That feature alone makes it worth getting the technology.

derek
05-15-2003, 09:35 PM
do yo have to "subscribe" to tivo? if so how much per month/year?

QLD
05-16-2003, 12:03 AM
I have only once or twice run into the "two programs at once" problem.

Yes, you do have to subscribe to tivo. You can pay monthly, which last I remember was $10 a month. Or you can pay a lifetime membership that will last the life of the recorder, which is around $200. I have already gotten MORE than my $200 worth out of it. They charge the fee, because every week, your tivo dials in to get the program information for the next few weeks. So you can see what is on and when for a few weeks ahead of time. No need for TV Guide.

Tivo will also look at your viewing habits, and recommend programs or movies that you might like. I have found several interesting shows because of that. Also, you can do program searches by genre, title, actor, etc.

For example, you can look up Bruce Campbell, and it will give you a listing of every thing on tv for the next few weeks with him in it.

Also, you can set season passes, so that your tivo will record every upcomning episode of a show. But say you are recording South Park, which comes on 4 times a day, and you don't want to record the old episodes. Well, you can set your tivo to record ONLY the NEW episodes if you wish.

Finally, you can rank your season passes, so that IF two shows you regularly watch conflict, one will take precedence over the other, or if one is a repeat, than you can record the other.

GREAT STUFF!!!! Everyone should have one!

bobafrett
05-16-2003, 12:47 AM
And back at Big Brother headquarters...........We're watching you~

QLD
05-16-2003, 02:20 AM
I've thought about that bobafrett......but if they want to know that I watch Law and Order, Farscape, South Park, and WWE then well, I'm not too worried.

Though if they find out my wife records ER and Trading Spaces, well, then I would worry! :eek:

scruffziller
05-16-2003, 12:18 PM
The main problem that I have had with the recording 2 shows at once is not so much actual shows that I want to record but I like to set the times like 5 minutes ahead and 5 minutes after because sometimes the show doesn't start or end right on the money. What happens is that a show on another channel that comes right after that one interferes with the 5 minute overlap on the other show. But any which way u slice it there could be one more show that u won't be able to record no matter how high they go in the technology. From what I understand, the 2 at once recievers are only able to be done by satellite but that doesn't sound right. Any clarification guys??? Plus from what I have been hearing is that most people actually like Replay TV better than TIVO. They say they like Replay's setup better or something.

sith_killer_99
10-27-2003, 04:07 PM
I just use my video card to record tv programs, I bought an ATI 8500 All-In-Wonder. It makes in much easier to work with the files on my computer later. I can edit out the comercials and burn a 1 hour show onto a CD/R. Plus, there is no subscription fee. I use the guide plus to program my recordings, and it's free.

scruffziller
10-27-2003, 04:27 PM
I just use my video card to record tv programs, I bought an ATI 8500 All-In-Wonder. It makes in much easier to work with the files on my computer later. I can edit out the comercials and burn a 1 hour show onto a CD/R. Plus, there is no subscription fee. I use the guide plus to program my recordings, and it's free.
Hmmmmmm..........
I might have to look into that.