PDA

View Full Version : That 70s Show SW references (merged)

Fulit
05-15-2003, 03:54 PM
Ok, someone likely has beat me to this, but did anyone see the new "70's Show" last night? Eric and Donna were moving out into their own apartment, and, upon further inspection of a box marked "Dishes", Donna discovered Eric's "Millennium Falcon" toy.
She was messing w/ him about it, and he grabbed it and said something in its defense and announced that it was going with them. Pretty funny.

Also, I noticed that it appeared to be the "carrying case" MF from a few years ago, guess the prop guy couldn't come across a vintage Falcon, though you would think they could afford to.

bobafrett
05-16-2003, 12:21 AM
That reminded me of this scene I saw in the series "Do Over" where this guy gets sent back to a time when he was younger knowing what he knows now. He is standing in line at the theatre for "The Empire Strikes back" and is threating to tell what happens when he gets roughed up by a guy in a Vader costume, and 2 guys in Stormtrooper armor. I don't know that anyone had that kind of proffesional looking costume back in the 80's, but it was halarious.

mrmiller
05-16-2003, 08:40 AM
That 70's show has had quite a few Star Wars refrences throughout the series. I really like the epsidoe where they all go to see Star Wars, and that's all the guys can think about for weeks (how true).

=MATT=

El Chuxter
05-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I watched this with my parents this week and argued about the fact that there's no way Eric could've had that particular Falcon. :)

Kidhuman
05-16-2003, 12:59 PM
I was telling my wife that it wasn't the real Falcon. The original one had all those guns on the top of it and the back had the stickers of the flames shooting out. That was far from the original.

One of my favorite 70's Show episodes is when they do the Star Wars spoof when Eric and Donna's old friend is trying ot steal Donna. It was on as a rerun in syndication the other day. Great episode. They have referenced Star Wars many times through out the shos history.

JediTricks
05-17-2003, 12:17 AM
I totally noticed it was the Falcon carrying case and it did bug me a little. I think the prop guy was just being lazy though, you can pick up a POTF2 Falcon in sealed boxes from several stores around here for $50 to $75 and it looks IDENTICAL to the vintage one.

InsaneJediGirl
05-22-2003, 11:48 AM
I noticed it right away as well,but it was still a great episode.However,I agree with JT.The prop guy could have gotten a loose Falcon easily enough without paying too much.

The 70's show is great for SW Refrences,I also like the episode when Eric and Red compete in that Father/Son tournament.Red said what my parents say all the time:D

evenflow
05-22-2003, 12:08 PM
I saw that. I love that show.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-31-2003, 04:12 PM
They have some good references, but usually thy screw them up.
In the father-son thing that IJG mentioned, it goes kind of like this:
RED: All you had to do was build a birdhouse!
ERIC: Well, I thought we could get extra points if I made the Millennium Falcon.
RED: If that's something from Star Wars, I'm gonna kick your ***!
ERIC: No, it's a bird . . . that can make the Kessel Run in six parsecs.

See, another great scene, somewhat botched up. The Falcon's great, fast and all, but it's not a mirclae woker. :crazed:

jonthejedi
11-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Has anyone noticed Eric's great Star Wars references the last 2 weeks on That 70's Show. What's up with that? Keep 'em coming!

Kidhuman
11-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Yeah, they make me laugh like crazy. Trying to use a mind trick on Donna.

InsaneJediGirl
11-07-2003, 05:49 AM
I do hope they keep the SW Jokes coming on That 70s Show.Eric thinking Donna was Leia and then wanting to be Obi-Wan,good stuff:)

smurfvader
11-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Don't forget the episode where they got dressed up as charcaters from SW. Jackie takes off her stormtrooper mask and says "Donna you have got to come over to the darkside, It is so cool."

JIm

rabidewok
11-09-2003, 09:57 PM
I think they are just great! I got a kick that Eric wanted to do it with Donna on a landspeeder in Tatooine.

That would be cool!

He loves his M. Falcon too!

DTMAN
11-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Yes, I was surprised when it happened.

You can't escape.

There were a couple of funny segments on VH1's I love the 70's and 80's (part 1).

I think they are just great! I got a kick that Eric wanted to do it with Donna on a landspeeder in Tatooine.

That would be cool!

He loves his M. Falcon too!

El Chuxter
11-19-2003, 12:13 PM
There are tons of references on this show all the time. Kelso was at first a fanatic (preferring watching SW to anything else), but Eric's kinda taken on more of a realistic "SW geek" aspect.

One of my favorites was when Eric brought up the Millennium Falcon in some manner or another (I forget exactly how it started):

RED: Eric, if that's something to do with Star Wars, I swear I'm gonna kick your ***!
ERIC: No, it's, uh, an endangered Falcon. . . that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.

James Boba Fettfield
11-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Chux, the thing you're talking about is after Red wonders why Eric couldn't build a log cabin out of lincoln logs for this competition thing. Eric says he thought they'd get bonus points or something if he built the Millennium Falcon.

Anakin Palpatine
01-14-2004, 07:52 PM
I was just watching the end of that &0's show and noticed at the end that Eric and his dad were trying to learn more about each other. As Eric asks his father who's who in the Star Wars universe using his Star Wars toys. On the table in front of him is a falcon carry case (the one that came with Wedge) and Eric holds up a Death Star escape Han Solo and then a Bespin Darth Vader. Earlier in the show Eric had made a referance to having to glue Boba Fetts backpack back on. Wait, what!!! Well when I saw the new figures in the end of the episode It all clicked together. Someone in continuity has made a very big mistake, or has a very low budget. I mean seriously, who can't find the common characters from the original line loose for a cheap price.

So I guess either in the 70's they already had the saga line of today or that 70's show was smokin a little to much to realize the differance. Did anyone else see this and laugh more at that, then the actual show itself?

Exhaust Port
01-14-2004, 10:07 PM
I saw tonights episode as well and got a real kick out of the SW references especially the last scene with Eric quizzing his dad on the character names using the action figures. :D

bobafrett
01-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I saw that section and was LMAO! I told my co worker that the dad there knows more about Star Wars then my dad does.

JediTricks
01-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Yeah, lots of little sloppy SW errors, cute in concept, but their prop guy is lazy as sin IMO. You can get original pre-80s SW figures all over LA for not that much scratch, and I already mentioned the Falcon from that earlier ep. The writers are the ones at fault about Fett's backpack though.

InsaneJediGirl
01-16-2004, 10:04 PM
I saw tonights episode as well and got a real kick out of the SW references especially the last scene with Eric quizzing his dad on the character names using the action figures. :D

The scary part is I do that to my parents :crazed: Normally the same answers as well.

My only complaint was the action figures!Clearly Saga,you think a pretty popular show like 70s could have at least afforded a few vintage.

Kidhuman
01-17-2004, 02:33 AM
IJG I was thinking the same exact thing. All Saga line figures. Still was pretty funny.

Silent Chazz
02-09-2004, 07:44 PM
I was watching That 70s Show earlier and Eric Foreman screwed up once again. He said "Boba Fett didnt just glue his jetpack on." Now excuse me but the current Season is covering 1979 and Unless Eric saw the 78 Holiday Special, then he's a off by one year in mentioning Boba Fett. Also, later in the episode, he showed his da a 1995 Millennium Falcon Carrying Case and a 2002 Bespin Duel Darth Vader (I could tell since I OWN the figure).

Now, as a SW fan, I have a right to rant about these inaccuracies on this show. lol

It shouldnt be THAT HARD for the Studio company to track down Vintage Figures and ships seeing as this is a popular TV show and I bet they rake in lots of money.

Yeesh!

JediTricks
02-09-2004, 08:38 PM
The Boba Fett action figure was offered as a mail away figure (offered on '78-'79 cardbacks IIRC) and was supposedly found in collectors' hands as early as January of '79.

Plus, how hard would it be to believe that Eric Foreman watched the SW Holiday Special? ;)

Silent Chazz
02-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Ok ok. But, for all we know he coulda been talking about the 2003 Boba Fett, Pit of Carkoon figure as his Jetpack is glue on, lol. The guy has a 2002 Darth Vader in the year 1979 for cryin out loud!

lol lol lol lol

JediTricks
02-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Oh, most definitely it was sloppy writing. I mean, vintage Fett doesn't even have a removable backpack, it's sculpted onto the figure and the missile is firmly glued in place.

Sentinel18725
02-10-2004, 06:12 PM
I notice that they also had the posed Han Solo and Darth Vader....looked like the Han Solo from the Death Star Escape....they could have gotten this detail right.

Kidhuman
02-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Honestly, they were thinking, the poeple from SSG dont watch this show. Noone will know the difference. Boy were they wrong. :D

Kidhuman
03-04-2004, 10:24 PM
How funny was Billy Dee on this show last night? I couldnt stop laughing when He and Eric were talking abut SW.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah, that was pretty cool.
"How could you not always talk about the greatest movie of all time?"
and
'Why am I not marrying you???"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-22-2004, 05:13 PM
There were even more Star Wars references last night! Eric said he went to a garage sale and found a rare Vader with a green lightsaber (which doesn't exist, but oh well). He hit Seth Green's character on the head with a golf ball, so they wanted to be nice to him.

Later in the episode, he started walking downstairs and called out his friends' names to see if they were down there. He then came downstairs with his Millennium Falcon carry case and said:
"Now it's time for me and 24 of my action figures! After the Foremanian Wars, Luke Skywalker met up with Darth Vader and his new, more deadly green lightsaber!"
He then found out that his green-sabered Vader was missing, and he accused Seth Green for it, but turned out he lost it while playing in the bathtub!

I guess the 24 figure thing could've been attributed to having 2 Vaders and a few stormtroopers. It showed a vintage Vader with a green saber, I don't know how that happened though. Also he had COMMTech Luke (the old one is too expensive) and the silver Death Star Droid. At least now they're being a little more accurate.

JediTricks
04-23-2004, 11:19 PM
The SW gags were a little much I thought, but I was glad to see they used an authentic-looking Vader with an authentic-looking green blade (although what they didn't apparently know was there WERE no green blades, but the green blade made for a more visual gag). I also noticed Commtech Luke, and a modern Han, either the Saga one or the Commtech one. And of course, the case is still the modern Falcon case which didn't exist in the '70s.

evenflow
04-26-2004, 08:18 AM
I was glad to see they used an authentic-looking Vader with an authentic-looking green blade (although what they didn't apparently know was there WERE no green blades, but the green blade made for a more visual gag). I also noticed Commtech Luke, and a modern Han, either the Saga one or the Commtech one. And of course, the case is still the modern Falcon case which didn't exist in the '70s.

Very true, but I loved it anyway, always makes me laugh the Star Wars refernces.

Kidhuman
04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
It would help if they got it right though, but funny none the less.

JediTricks
04-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Last night's ep had several mentions of Eric building SW models, as well as a comment about why Vader turned to the dark side. Eric's main model was actually the Hasbro Dagobah X-wing, it had R2 but they removed the Luke and it was for the most part believable (and Kelso smashed it into the table, it looked like even though the parts came off, nothing actually broke because it's Hasbro toy, not a model ;)). However, then they showed a box of other "models" that Eric was building while Donna was seeing someone else, and inside this box was the Hasbro Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, a Kenner or Hasbro Millennium Falcon possibly missing a few pieces (where was this when they actually needed it?) and a Hasbro TIE Bomber, which was a vehicle that did not exist until after ESB came out in '80.

Kidhuman
04-29-2004, 06:37 PM
I would of beat Kelso's arse for that.

SithDroid
08-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Ok first off I would like to say that I love all the Star Wars references that are made in That 70's Show. Yeah I do notice the innacuracies that they have, like the Millenium Falcon carrying case, and using the newer figures rather than the vintage ones, but in all actuality the prop guy is thinking, no one is going to notice. Only the die hard fans notice. My mom can't tell the difference and she has seen the movies and bought plenty of toys for me. I notice it, but I don't let it bother me. Trying to disect it is pointless. It is after all a TV show.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-30-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't think it is bothering anyone else, we're just mentioning it.

This new season will also be its last, hopefully they will get to have some more references. Unfortunately we will never get to see Eric watch ESB and learn about Vader, they really could have made some good stuff out of that. :cry:

Who knows? Maybe they will do a flash forward episode where Eric is complaining about Hayden Christensen playing Anakin in ROTJ. :D

El Chuxter
01-18-2006, 02:19 PM
I saw something pretty funny on Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/forfoxaseasonofchangeislooming;_ylt=Amrw4umlzEwvvo s9P9j8qEZxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--) about That 70s Show being cancelled:

Long-running comedies That '70s Show and Malcolm in the Middle will end their runs in May, and it's also "highly unlikely" that Arrested Development will be renewed, Fox programming chief Peter Liguori told TV critics here Tuesday.

The news wasn't a surprise: '70s, in its eighth season, has lost its two stars, Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher, and both that show and Malcolm, in its seventh year, have seen sharp ratings declines as each has become more expensive to produce. "We don't want to see these shows crawl to their endings," Liguori says.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Thanks, Mr Liguori. You don't want to see That 70s Show crawl to its ending? That's the funniest thing I've ever read!

Has anyone really watched this since it went from being one of the funniest shows on TV to a sack of crap about 3-5 years ago?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I stopped watching about halfway through last season. There was just too much stupid crap going on, and apparently it's worse this year. "Eric's in Africa? Oh well, I guess we'll still have to hang out at his house anyway."

I also stopped watching Malcolm about three years ago. I'd much rather have three funny seasons than ten stupid ones.

JediTricks
01-18-2006, 07:27 PM
That 70s Show has sucked ever since the focus shifted from 70s-themed to soap opera with nearly no 70s references at all. But once Topher Grace left, the show lost arguably its best actor, character, and central heart to the show, it's just become unwatchable. Ashton "Kelso" Kutcher stuck around this season for a few episodes and proved how talentless he really is, then left and even that felt like a loss. The show just isn't saying anything anymore, and then to set up the whole series to be Eric & Donna and just have Eric dump her in a letter - there's nothing left after that, the show has hit bottom.

Kidhuman
01-19-2006, 12:47 AM
I loved this show. This year the only reason I watch when I am home is bvecuase its the last season

UK - the reason they hang out in the basement is becuase Hyde lives there.

InsaneJediGirl
01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I stopped watching once Topher Grace left,really no reason to continue as it lost its "geekness". I tried watching,but nothing much too 70s and it should have ended when Eric left the show.