PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Pop-Ups, web-browsing on SSG

Tycho
05-16-2003, 06:17 PM
Steve asked me to ask all of you: How many of you are having problems similar to this:

SSG is my homepage when I open my browser.

However, it frequently crashes due to pop-ups. Are they our site's advertising? (I don't know that, or if other sites I've visited have added programming to my web settings to pop-up their ads without my permission).

I know there's software out there to prevent these. What do you guys use?

This really discourages browsing our site. I get the home page and then sometimes a freeze, sometimes no pop-up, sometimes a pop-up or a delayed one. But when I click on forums, it is most often when the link won't click, and I stall and have to ctrl-alt-del and close my browser. I called Dell and they said it was the advertiser's site timing-out and not allowing my 56K to load the ad or continue on SSG.

By the way, the small Master Replicas Darth Maul ad is NOT what is causing me my problem. Usually it is ads for 'spy cams' dubbed as home surveilance, or mortgage companies or other financial service companies. Sometimes it is a cruise ship commercial or a vacation package.

Are you guys having problems? What kinds of hardware are you using?

I have Windows Me, and use Microsoft Internet Explorer with a 56K Dial-up. Nothing else is in the budget for the immediate future (but anti-pop up software is under strong consideration).

DarthChuckMc
05-16-2003, 06:25 PM
I had that problem too. I installed Spybot-Search and Destroy, and all's well. I found it on Kazaa. The only Pop-ups I get now are the Army and R2 one on SW.com

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-16-2003, 07:00 PM
I have AOL, and the pop-up blocker works great. Only 1 or 2 pop-ups get past it, and that's rare.

Lord Malakite
05-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Yes, at home. With AOL I believe it was (right JBF?). I can't test if it was AOL for certain though since I'm at college currently and am using a completly different computer/internet provider.

James Boba Fettfield
05-16-2003, 07:12 PM
Yeah, it's AOL 7.0 you're talking about Malakite.

QLD
05-16-2003, 07:13 PM
try downloading adaware as well. If you are getting those type of pop-ups at SSG, then you have spyware on your comp. Also, the spyware will drastically tax your system.

I use POW to remove pop-ups, but it's only average for it. I haven't had any problems with SSG.

Kidhuman
05-16-2003, 07:37 PM
I don't have any probl;ems with pop ups. I go directly to the forums page though, I don't hardly see the main page at all. Just add /forums to the homepage section and it will skip all the pop-ups.

DewMan37
05-16-2003, 09:12 PM
No problems here, but I use Opera, and I format every couple of weeks.

Darth Jax
05-16-2003, 09:49 PM
no troubles on my mac. SSG is homepage and loads up right away everytime. no pop-ups ever on SSG, no pop-up blocking software in use. just lucky i guess.

Jargo
05-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Well, I'm just on a standard PC. Using WIN XP PRO and IE6 I get not one single pop up and haven't had to install any extra software to deal with them. I hadn't even noticed until just now that the pop up master replicas ad on the main news page has stopped popping up. Did Steve get rid of that? I enter the site via that because SSG is now set as my homepage.
I'm not saying I don't get pop ups while browsing the net, I'm saying I don't get any that aren't advertisers/sponsors on this site, while I'm at this site.

JediTricks
05-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Tycho, it could be a problem with the DHTML menu if it happens like the way you describe without other pop-ups. I have no probs with my IE 5.5, but my Netscape 4 crashes like a mad fiend with that menu.

But if there are other pop-ups, there is some sort of software generating them in your system I beleive. I don't download stuff like that, but I'm pretty paranoid and try to surf with as little Java/Javascript on as possible.

BTW, I start my browser from a local page, in NS it's a modified diagnostic board for the Defiant, in IE5 it's spinning Trek and SW ships on a star background. You might wanna try making a blank HTML page and making that your start/home page and see if the pops still come.

bobafrett
05-17-2003, 01:05 AM
I haven't had any problems when on SSG, but I have had problems opening other sites and I've noticed particular pop up ads seem to lock up my computer everytime. It's usually those little spy camera ads. It gets annoying especially if I leave my Excite page on internet explorer. I go to work, and when I return home there will be three or four pop up windows, and more times than not, I'll have to restart my computer.

Tycho
05-17-2003, 03:55 AM
Yeah, I get the MSGRV32 is not responding lock up. Clicking on "end task" makes my whole desktop disappear and I am left with my default desktop color and nothing else working (often no mouse cursor either).

I get the spycam ad, too.

I wonder how I got spyware on my system? Is "Cftmon" a spying program? That's frequently deleted from my startup programs and it comes back.

I'd like to get rid of my spyware, but I wonder if it could be imbedded in my iMesh program? (that's what I'm using to share free music in place of Napster)

I don't want to lose my iMesh program. It's the trading-ware a friend recommended because some very specific underground gothic-metal (which I still need to ask him for the band names from again) is traded on this system.

Now all that talk of Java Script is way over my head. I've heard of Java before, but don't know what all that is - besides a coffee special around here.

Does anyone have a McCaffee / Norton product that blocks pop-ups that they recommend? I think I got another Norton program with my anti-virus software 2003 package, but I only installed the anti-virus updates and not the other utility. Maybe I already have Norton's.

I'll check soon.

kool-aid killer
05-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Everynow and then when i go to the SSG forum homepage i wont be able to enter a certain discussion. In order to "unfreeze" it i have to go to another website and then come back to SSG. Thats about my only problem.

Exhaust Port
05-17-2003, 02:15 PM
I think now most browsers have a box that you can check in the options section to stop any uncommanded windows from being opened automatically (ie pop-ups). I checked one box 4-5 years ago and I haven't seen one pop-up since then.

THE Slayer
05-17-2003, 03:31 PM
DewMan37 Can you use opera in the US?